• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

ant1532 said:
Flood would be an awesome item.

C6638.jpg

Stalfos

Very nice music :) Looking back on how many updates the various sections have had, I'm guessing that we'll be seeing an item tomorrow.

Ashodin

Branduil said:
There's going to be so many tears when it's revealed Sheik isn't in the game...
Bitter tears over Falco gone, and Sheik gone, is what I'm gonna hear.

All of this is just going to make people want to play Melee over Brawl anyway :lol :lol

Thoren

Banned
I hope they focus on making the metagame more balanced than just adding cool new characters.

I get real tired of Falcos, Foxes, and Sheiks!

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I think the hardcore tournies need to realize that this game isn't made for arcade play... Or rather, Nintendo isn't focusing on the tourny style play, rather the millions who bought Melee just to play for fun...

Thoren said:
I hope they focus on making the metagame more balanced than just adding cool new characters.

Speaking of Fox/Falco...

Does anyone else think that Wolf or Krystal appearing in the game is basically a given?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Chris Michael said:
Speaking of Fox/Falco...

Does anyone else think that Wolf or Krystal appearing in the game is basically a given?

why didn't you say slippy?? WHY NOT SLIPPY?!?!?

I don't need a fox with a eye-patch and certainly don't need the furry love-in that is Krystal.

Thoren said:

Balance is the primary design goal of the team doing Brawl. Sakurai said it straight up that he and the team were going to heavily focus on making sure all the characters and levels are as balanced as they can possibly make them, so you're in good hands.

NotWii

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
Balance is the primary design goal of the team doing Brawl. Sakurai said it straight up that he and the team were going to heavily focus on making sure all the characters and levels are as balanced as they can possibly make them, so you're in good hands.
Last time that happened, Kirby got ****ed in the ***

Zeed

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Speaking of Fox/Falco...

Krystal with her Adventures moveset would make sense and be a logical fresh addition for the StarFox franchise. As for Wolf, I'd rather see him in as an alternate costume for Fox.

Wii said:
Last time that happened, Kirby got ****ed in the ***
I don't recall Sakurai ever promising to balance Melee. Nor, for that matter, do I recall him promising to focus on balance for Brawl. Could we get a reference for that?

However, I do believe that this time things will, on the whole, be more balanced due to the fact that Sakurai is getting all the development time he needs as opposed to how rushed he was for Melee.

Shinobix

Maxrpg said:
Bitter tears over Falco gone, and Sheik gone, is what I'm gonna hear.

All of this is just going to make people want to play Melee over Brawl anyway :lol :lol

FALCO gone? that's bullshit

Zeed

Banned
Shinobix said:
FALCO gone? that's bullshit
Some characters are not returning, this much is known. As far as which characters are likely candidates to be removed...well, Falco pretty much tops the list. He's a "clone", and furthermore a "clone" that could easily be replaced by more diverse members of the franchise. Also, it'd be pretty hard to diversify Falco's moveset.

That said, there is no real evidence that he's gone, it just seems logical.

Zeed said:
Krystal with her Adventures moveset would make sense and be a logical fresh addition for the StarFox franchise. As for Wolf, I'd rather see him in as an alternate costume for Fox.

I don't recall Sakurai ever promising to balance Melee. Nor, for that matter, do I recall him promising to focus on balance for Brawl. Could we get a reference for that?

However, I do believe that this time things will, on the whole, be more balanced due to the fact that Sakurai is getting all the development time he needs as opposed to how rushed he was for Melee.

I really don't feel like looking it up, but I read it in an interview that was conducted with him. Might have been at Nintendo World, but I'm really not sure. I didn't paraphrase it and basically make up what I wanted to read if that's what you're thinking, you can take my word on that.

justchris

TSA said:

I hate it when you're right. I'm going to haunt you now. :)

Zeed said:

I don't recall anything about Melee, but Sakurai did say he wanted to balance Brawl more. He also said he wanted to focus more on air combat, and that they were changing the speed of the game, though I don't remember if he said they were planning to slow it down or speed it up.

The longer development time will definitely be good for everybody, though.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Zeed said:
Some characters are not returning, this much is known. As far as which characters are likely candidates to be removed...well, Falco pretty much tops the list. He's a "clone", and furthermore a "clone" that could easily be replaced by more diverse members of the franchise. Also, it'd be pretty hard to diversify Falco's moveset.

That said, there is no real evidence that he's gone, it just seems logical.

Clones are definitely at the top of the list to get cut. Falco is one of the clones that is least likely to get cut (reason: popularity), only being topped by Ganondorf.

Anyway, we have no idea how many characters will be cut, if any. Going from SSB to SSBM no one was removed.

RagnarokX

superbank said:
Clones are definitely at the top of the list to get cut. Falco is one of the clones that is least likely to get cut (reason: popularity), only being topped by Ganondorf.

Anyway, we have no idea how many characters will be cut, if any. Going from SSB to SSBM no one was removed.
But Falco is like the most cloniest clone in melee. He can be easily replaced as a costume change for Fox.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
RagnarokX said:
But Falco is like the most cloniest clone in melee. He can be easily replaced as a costume change for Fox.

That would be good. I don't really care for Falco but theres no arguing his popularity as one of the best fighters of Melee. Pichu and Roy are more likely candidates to get cut and that would be 2 too many going by the previous games.

usea

RagnarokX said:
This is utterly false, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm really sick of the misuse of the word "clones." The only characters who were even close to being clones are mario and doctor mario. Their differences are very small, though still enough to make playing them different experiences. Falco and fox are nowhere near being clones in the sense that they're redundant or that you could replace one with a costume change. They're completely different.

I've met people who thought mario, doc, and luigi were all identical. You're appearing equally ignorant right now.

papercut

It's not that hard to guess the cuts. Falco will either be gone or substantially changed. Roy/Marth will both be cut, to be replaced by Ike. Pichu's replaced by some other pokemon. Dr. Mario will be cut, to be replaced by Paper Mario if anything. Sheikh's out. Young Link replaced by WW Link.

Basically, they'll update the roster to reflect the Nintendo franchises as they stand today. And even if someone's favorite character gets cut/nerfed, I'm sure they'll find someone else to play. Not the end of the world.

papercut said:
It's not that hard to guess the cuts. Falco will either be gone or substantially changed. Roy/Marth will both be cut, to be replaced by Ike. Pichu's replaced by some other pokemon. Dr. Mario will be cut, to be replaced by Paper Mario if anything. Sheikh's out. Young Link replaced by WW Link.

Basically, they'll update the roster to reflect the Nintendo franchises as they stand today. And even if someone's favorite character gets cut/nerfed, I'm sure they'll find someone else to play. Not the end of the world.

marth getting cut will piss off a lot of cheap asses.

Dr.Hadji

Brobzoid said:
I think the hardcore tournies need to realize that this game isn't made for arcade play... Or rather, Nintendo isn't focusing on the tourny style play, rather the millions who bought Melee just to play for fun...

Everyone would benefit from a more balanced game. A balanced game = better game. Its simple game design.

papercut

usea said:

I'm really sick of the misuse of the word "clones." The only characters who were even close to being clones are mario and doctor mario. Their differences are very small, though still enough to make playing them different experiences. Falco and fox are nowhere near being clones in the sense that they're redundant or that you could replace one with a costume change. They're completely different.

I've met people who thought mario, doc, and luigi were all identical. You're appearing equally ignorant right now.

Dude Fox and Falco have the exact same moveset. The first time we all unlocked Falco, that's the first thing we noticed.Yes the moves have different effects so playing them isn't the same, but they're clones. Get over it.

usea said:

Too true. Hell, I know people who think that Ganon and Falcon play exactly the same, and those characters play as differently as any two in the game.

Roy and Pichu are definitely the worst clones. They have almost no merits over their counterparts. Though honestly... Roy is kind of shitty but infinitely more balanced than "float in the air for ten minutes smacking you with f-airs" Marth.

papercut

Kabuki Waq said:
but then how will ppl react when Fox gets nerfed?

I don't think Sakurai cares too much about people's reactions. People will bitch and moan no matter what, but you have to make progress somewhere or we'll be stuck with the same characters over and over, playing the same game. I hope they tone down Fox and and bring up some of the weaker characters--it'll at least make things more interesting, both with casual and tourney play.

usea

Dr.Hadji said:
Everyone would benefit from a more balanced game. A balanced game = better game. Its simple game design.
Agreed. Though I think melee was balanced pretty well, better than the average fighting game.

If melee wasn't balanced for high level / long-term play, people wouldn't be playing it nearly as much still today as they do. And therefore wouldn't want to buy brawl as much as they do. If melee was broken or balanced poorly, even the casual players would stop playing it sooner than they would otherwise. Balance affects players of every type.

I'd also wager that high level play is definitely considered and provided for during development. I don't think it's a fluke that the game turned out as well and lasted as long as it has.

usea

papercut said:
Dude Fox and Falco have the exact same moveset. The first time we all unlocked Falco, that's the first thing we noticed.Yes the moves have different effects so playing them isn't the same, but they're clones. Get over it.
They have mostly the same animations. Guess what? The game isn't watched, it's played. Their moves look the same, but the characters are not the same. They are not redundant, you cannot replace one with a costume change. It's comments like that which I am calling ignorant, and I think I was pretty clear about it.

Yes, I object to the word clone because it's a poor choice of a word to mean "characters with similar animations." The word clone means or implies identical, which is not the case. Pointing out the extreme ignorance of other people isn't something I should "get over."

usea said:
They have mostly the same animations. Guess what? The game isn't watched, it's played. Their moves look the same, but the characters are not the same. They are not redundant, you cannot replace one with a costume change. It's comments like that which I am calling ignorant, and I think I was pretty clear about it.

Yes, I object to the word clone because it's a poor choice of a word to mean "characters with similar animations." The word clone means or implies identical, which is not the case. Pointing out the extreme ignorance of other people isn't something I should "get over."

they are similar to the point of being redundant.

papercut

usea said:

Nobody uses clone to mean identical in Smash Bros (nobody who's really played the game, anyway). We know they're different as far as how they're played. But don't you think that them having the same moveset, which is totally different from that of every other character in the game, might warrant the description?

usea

Kabuki Waq said:
they are similar to the point of being redundant.
No, they're not, not even close. This is factual stuff, not an opinion.

papercut said:
Nobody uses clone to mean identical in Smash Bros (nobody who's really played the game, anyway). We know they're different as far as how they're played. But don't you think that them having the same moveset, which is totally different from that of every other character in the game, might warrant the description?
Yes, people do use it to mean identical. If you read what I typed and quoted in my last 3 posts you would see several examples.

No, I don't think the fact that their animations are far more similar to eachother as a whole than other characters warrants a description of identical. I think it's a poor word choice, and it's confusing those who think they really are identical, as you can see just a few posts up.

Holy Order Sol said:
Seriously.
This is like saying Ryu and Ken are still the same.
Yep. In fact, ryu and ken are even more similar than every "clone" in ssbm except doc and mario who share about the same differences as ryu and ken depending on the game.

Firestorm

Mewtwo is a Samus clone. His B attack is a charge beam like Samus' and his tilts are all like black fire instead of red fire! omg!

I hate idiots with their dumb "clone" thoughts. Most of them don't even play the characters they refer to as clones -_-; Saying Falco and Fox of all characters are redundant is just... ugh.

justchris

usea said:
No, they're not, not even close. This is factual stuff, not an opinion.

Yes, people do use it to mean identical. If you read what I typed and quoted in my last 3 posts you would see several examples.

No, I don't think the fact that their animations are far more similar to eachother as a whole than other characters warrants a description of identical. I think it's a poor word choice, and it's confusing those who think they really are identical, as you can see just a few posts up.

Yep. In fact, ryu and ken are even more similar than every "clone" in ssbm except doc and mario who share about the same differences as ryu and ken depending on the game.

There are so many things wrong with each of these statements. Clone doesn't mean identical. That some people take it that way is their fault, but that's not what it means. I assure you, clone is the appropriate word for what Fox & Falco are. Their movesets, their animations, are all identical. The differences come in the speed and power of the fighters, and that is the reason they play differently.

Ryu and Ken were much more identical than Fox & Falco in the original SF2, but they have progressed much farther apart in the later games. They no longer share the same animations for even 50% of their attacks. It's closer to the change of Mario & Luigi from SSB to SSBM.

Fox and Falco are clones, but they are not identical. This isn't even worth discussing, as it has no bearing on whether or not Falco will be removed. Sakurai said not every character would make it back, he said nothing specifically about clones.

Edit: Falco's reach is also different, but again, same animations.

papercut

Firestorm said:
Mewtwo is a Samus clone. His B attack is a charge beam like Samus' and his tilts are all like black fire instead of red fire! omg!

You can't be serious?

Well anyway, it doesn't matter to me if Falco is cut, changed, or if he remains the same. I don't think clones are evil or pointless or whatever, although it would be nice if instead of repeating movesets, the designers at least spend time on new animations.

Some of you are going to have a serious meltdown if Falco does get cut/changed...which would be really amusing to watch :)

Firestorm

papercut said:
You can't be serious?

Well anyway, it doesn't matter to me if Falco is cut, changed, or if he remains the same. I don't think clones are evil or pointless or whatever, although it would be nice if instead of repeating movesets, the designers at least spend time on new animations.

Some of you are going to have a serious meltdown if Falco does get cut/changed...which would be really amusing to watch :)

The fact that you think I'm serious should be sufficient proof that people's Fox/Falco arguments suck. If you want to call them clones because the animations are similar, that's fine. But like usea said, they play so damn differently it doesn't matter. Clones, in my opinion, are good for the game. They give us new characters to play with the least amount of time. Do I want every character to be a clone? No. But I sure hope there are a good amount.

After all, if you're playing Fox and Falco the same way, or Link and Young Link, or any of the others, you're doing something wrong.

Firestorm said:
The fact that you think I'm serious should be sufficient proof that people's Fox/Falco arguments suck. If you want to call them clones because the animations are similar, that's fine. But like usea said, they play so damn differently it doesn't matter. Clones, in my opinion, are good for the game. They give us new characters to play with the least amount of time. Do I want every character to be a clone? No. But I sure hope there are a good amount.

After all, if you're playing Fox and Falco the same way, or Link and Young Link, or any of the others, you're doing something wrong.

I dont really play with Falco or fox but damn i hate playing against them.

papercut

WastingPenguins said:
Once again you prove you don't know what you're talking about.

He's talking about the basics here, for which his comment holds true. If I were to get into a discussion about the technical side of smash, I'd want to shoot myself. Keep that stuff away, please.

papercut

Firestorm said:

Yea I know they play differently. I'm only talking about movesets/animations, which is what MOST people are talking about when calling them clones. I don't care for the people who know absolutely nothing about the game and can't see past the identical moveset.

Either way, I'd rather have different animations. At least then they'll feel more like their own characters rather than two different takes on the same moveset.

justchris

WastingPenguins said:
Once again you prove you don't know what you're talking about.

papercut said:
He's talking about the basics here, for which his comment holds true. If I were to get into a discussion about the technical side of smash, I'd want to shoot myself. Keep that stuff away, please.

Pretty much. That was a simplification, sure, but every single difference in Fox & Falco can be traced back to the differences in speed, strength & reach. When you adjust one of those, things like air time, animation frames, hit boxes & hit reactions all have to be adjusted to compensate.

Firestorm

justchris said:
Pretty much. That was a simplification, sure, but every single difference in Fox & Falco can be traced back to the differences in speed, strength & reach. When you adjust one of those, things like air time, animation frames, hit boxes & hit reactions all have to be adjusted to compensate.

Not really. It's how the moves behave. Three very, very key things about Falco that changes his entire playstyle:

d-air spikes down
lasers stun
shine sends opponent up

There you have the basis for two of Falco's main combos. The short-hop laser and the pillar (d-air, l-cancel, shine or d-tilt, jump, repeat).

Watch a bit of this combo video to see what I'm talking about:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nOKyMf_sa7U

Fox's key difference is that unlike Falco's shine, his shine sends the opponent at a 45 degree angle and at a set distance.

See this combo video for the crazy shit Fox can do:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E0anyq2n0WM

Kabuki Waq said:
I dont really play with Falco or fox but damn i hate playing against them.

Me neither, but I hate Falco more. At least against Fox I get a chance to move =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom