• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Mr_Zombie

Yea definitely. I've searched multiple times to see if anyone had made an application that would achieve this but no one has taken the initiative yet

There are apps that can map mouse + keyboard to gamepad (I remember I had to use one to play Prince of Persia TTT properly on x360 gamepad). I think it should work for Win8 too. Although it's a shame that there's no built-in support.

Edit: just saw previous posts. That would be great. :D

SPDIF

I did make an application during one of the Windows 8 betas that let you do just that. Yet there was an unforeseen problem with a certain DLL file that meant it wouldn't work on certain other PCs (other than mine). I did resolve that problem, but nobody seemed that interested, so I forgot about it.

But I'm lucky enough to have quite a bit of free time on my hands at the moment. If you want, it wouldn't take more than a day for me to quickly put something together again.

Heh, bit of a coincidence there.

I'd definitely be interested in this. I'd love to be able to launch steam or some multimedia applications just using an Xbox controller.

Ok, so I spent a few hours on this today. It lets you launch the start screen, navigate around the menu and launch an app. It also lets you close apps, bring up the charms bar and start the on-screen keyboard. You can also control the mouse (although I should say this is still pretty rough around the edges), as well as perform left and right clicks.

It's obviously not as smooth to use as a normal mouse and keyboard, or touchscreen, but by combining all of the features listed above, it should allow you to control your PC and someapps with your 360 controller.

Controls:

Code:
Start button = Launch start screen
Left stick/D-pad = Navigation
A button = Launch currently highlighted app
Back button = Close current app
B button = Backspace / navigate back in some apps
Y button = Bring up charms bar
Left trigger = Left click
Right trigger = Right click
Right stick = Move cursor
Left bumper + Right stick = Move cursor at a faster rate.
Right stick click = Bring up on-screen keyboard. Click again to close
Right bumper (hold for 2 seconds) = Disable controller. Repeat to re-enable.

If anyone wants to try it, the download link is here: https://mega.co.nz/#!FRwgAQjZ!Fb5zPXxWMJbbqpbOjOEflBSmLEMdI9583h2HNMuILQQ

It will install itself as a regular program. By default, it auto starts at logon where it'll sit in the system tray.

cwj2.png

Finally, you'll likely get a warning when trying to download/execute the file, but that's just because it's a completely new, unsigned file. It's obviously perfectly safe.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

SPDIF

I love you. The mouse pointer is slow with the right stick though.

Glad you like it. And yeah, like I said the mouse pointer is still very rough. I didn't want to make it move too fast, since I thought it might be even harder to precisely select things. Did you try holding the left bumper while moving the stick? That should move it at a faster rate. Or is even that too slow?

Jzero

Glad you like it. And yeah, like I said the mouse pointer is still very rough. I didn't want to make it move too fast, since I thought it might be even harder to precisely select things. Did you try holding the left bumper while moving the stick? That should move it at a faster rate. Or is even that too slow?

The problem is that the mkovement of the mouse doesn't feel smooth. It feels like it only goes in a straight line. I also don't really like the buttons you chose for certain actions. It's a great start though. I also love that i could use the controller for non metro applications. The only bad thing is that the same buttons don't apply (The A button doesn't select things when using the controller in Google Chrome)

SPDIF

The problem is that the mkovement of the mouse doesn't feel smooth. It feels like it only goes in a straight line.

Yep that definitely is a problem. At the moment it's pretty much just up, down, left and right, there's no 360 degrees of movement. I'll definitely improve this.

I also don't really like the buttons you chose for certain actions

Fair enough, I suppose I could always just supply a simple INI file that lets you map the buttons to your liking.

The only bad thing is that the same buttons don't apply (The A button doesn't select things when using the controller in Google Chrome)

This is mainly a choice borne out of necessity. The A button is mapped to the Enter/Return key because it's the only way to launch a Metro app without clicking on it, since there's no real way for me to tell where your cursor is in relation to the currently highlighted app (unless you manually move the cursor over the app you want).

If you need to select something in a desktop app (like a link for example), then you can use the left trigger to perform a normal left click.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. If you're interested, I could have a new version ready by sometime next week.

Nero3000

Has anyone's start screen on 8.1 just got messed up recently?

Tiles all over the place. Can't remember how i organised them now.

Two questions:

Why does my metro size selection keep resetting? I'll be doing something and I'll go to metro and all the tiles and apps have reset to the default, big size so I have to go into settings and change it.

As for the second question, could someone who owns Lost Planet 2 on pc and uses Windows 8.1 start the game and see if it works for them? I got it to where other GFWL games work, but lost planet 2 closes upon choosing a launcher version.

Is there still no other metro browsers out for Windows 8? I remember Mozilla was developing one but I haven't heard anything on that front in a while.

Is there still no other metro browsers out for Windows 8? I remember Mozilla was developing one but I haven't heard anything on that front in a while.

Google and Mozilla are both working on Metro versions for Windows 8 (not RT) and both are basically in pre-alpha stage at this point.

MCD

Extremely bored here so I decided to beta test 8.1 now that the UK version issues are all cleared up.

I just wanna know who is the bright guy that decided to offer this upgrade via the Windows App Store? Because this thing is so goddamn slow.

Windu

Extremely bored here so I decided to beta test 8.1 now that the UK version issues are all cleared up.

I just wanna know who is the bright guy that decided to offer this upgrade via the Windows App Store? Because this thing is so goddamn slow.
there are ISOs available.

dLMN8R

The download through the store should be pretty much maxing out your bandwidth. Check Task Manager if you don't think it is.

MCD

@dLMN8R

Tell the team to included screen refresh rate in monitor settings, please.

With that said goddamn the new settings menu is loaded and I LOVE it.

Edit: love hoe IE Enhanced protected mode is on by default but LastPass won't work with it.

Edit2: Wish Taskbar and Navigation options are included in PC Settings.

MCD

Don't like how apps get this little animation where it makes you decide where to snap it. I want to snap things whenever and however I want and not just when opening the app for the first time.

MCD

The app store is definitely the biggest improvement here. It's beautiful, fluid and functional. Shame about the apps though lol.

Ok, so I spent a few hours on this today. It lets you launch the start screen, navigate around the menu and launch an app. It also lets you close apps, bring up the charms bar and start the on-screen keyboard. You can also control the mouse (although I should say this is still pretty rough around the edges), as well as perform left and right clicks.

It's obviously not as smooth to use as a normal mouse and keyboard, or touchscreen, but by combining all of the features listed above, it should allow you to control your PC and someapps with your 360 controller.

Controls:

Code:
Start button = Launch start screen
Left stick/D-pad = Navigation
A button = Launch currently highlighted app
Back button = Close current app
B button = Backspace / navigate back in some apps
Y button = Bring up charms bar
Left trigger = Left click
Right trigger = Right click
Right stick = Move cursor
Left bumper + Right stick = Move cursor at a faster rate.
Right stick click = Bring up on-screen keyboard. Click again to close
Right bumper (hold for 2 seconds) = Disable controller. Repeat to re-enable.

If anyone wants to try it, the download link is here: https://mega.co.nz/#!8Ew0XICD!EmvmHmg_zyHgRUj1HmxYMgZHXGJAR4wtp7aZ62fv7yk

It will install itself as a regular program. By default, it auto starts at logon where it'll sit in the system tray.

cwj2.png

Finally, you'll likely get a warning when trying to download/execute the file, but that's just because it's a completely new, unsigned file. It's obviously perfectly safe.

I know this is a late response, but I finally tried this out. I really like it except for, and this may just be me being crazy, but I feel like it made controlling Steam Big Picture kind of sensitive.

Edit:

Just confirmed that by disabling it, if I could disable it for apps that already have controller support I think it'd be perfect.

MCD

Closing apps is weird...like I'm sure I closed the Xbox Music app but I play a song from desktop and it resumed fuck fast.

What sorcery is this?

Closing apps is weird...like I'm sure I closed the Xbox Music app but I play a song from desktop and it resumed fuck fast.

What sorcery is this?

On the 8.1 Preview?

Assuming you are MS changed how Metro apps "close" with 8.1, and by "close" I mean they don't close.

SPDIF

I know this is a late response, but I finally tried this out. I really like it except for, and this may just be me being crazy, but I feel like it made controlling Steam Big Picture kind of sensitive.

Edit:

Just confirmed that by disabling it, if I could disable it for apps that already have controller support I think it'd be perfect.

I'm glad you like it. As for the bolded, you should be able to do just that. Holding the RB button for two seconds completely disables the program from receiving any input from the controller. Is that what you did? You should be able to quickly disable the controller for programs when you need to, and then quickly re-enable it again. I tested it myself with multiple apps / programs and I was always able to disable / re-enable the controller.

Anyway, I've been working on a much improved version based on Jzero's feedback which should be ready tomorrow, so you can see if that improves things.

dLMN8R

What sorcery is this?

The fact that it resumed instantly is the point, actually.

In Windows 8, the only genuine reasons why someone would need to close an app is to remove it from the switcher or because it's crashing/behaving badly. Otherwise, when people close apps it just screws with things because it takes them much longer to load later on.

So:

1) Using the drag-down gesture still removes it from the switcher/back stack
2) Using the gesture and then relauching the app before doing anything else launches it fresh instead of resumes it, to deal with the crash case

It reminds me of when people complained that Vista used their unused ram to cache frequently used programs, instead of leaving it there wasted and unused.

Totakeke

First time I'm using Hyper-V on Windows 8 and I installed Windows 8.1 on it.

But for some reason the keyboard inputs are only captured in the virtual machine connection at the password input screen, then nowhere else after that. I'm puzzled and have no clue what's wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

cbox

I just realized the other day that when using Songza, I can use the skip song function on my keyboard and it works without having installed any extra software + it shows the current song playing. I'm assuming it works with all metro apps, and I can't believe I didn't notice/use it earlier.

I'm glad you like it. As for the bolded, you should be able to do just that. Holding the RB button for two seconds completely disables the program from receiving any input from the controller. Is that what you did? You should be able to quickly disable the controller for programs when you need to, and then quickly re-enable it again. I tested it myself with multiple apps / programs and I was always able to disable / re-enable the controller.

Anyway, I've been working on a much improved version based on Jzero's feedback which should be ready tomorrow, so you can see if that improves things.

I guess that'll teach me to gloss over the instructions. Holding down RB did exactly what I needed.

kharma45

I've been running two monitors with my W8 PC and all of a sudden it now thinks I have three. Any ideas how to get it to stop thinking this?

SPDIF

I guess that'll teach me to gloss over the instructions. Holding down RB did exactly what I needed.

That's good to know. Anyway, as promised here's the updated version. You can now use a GUI to map the buttons to your liking. I've also updated the mouse control so the cursor moves a lot smoother, it feels pretty similar to using a regular mouse now.

If you're interested, the download link is here: https://mega.co.nz/#!FRwgAQjZ!Fb5zPXxWMJbbqpbOjOEflBSmLEMdI9583h2HNMuILQQ

If you still have the old version installed, don't worry about uninstalling it, the new version will take care of that.

Hey guys, every time i try the windows 8.1 preview and update it to 8.1, it gives me a error code and brings me back to my previews settings saying it cant be updated. I have Win8 pro legal and all so i dont get it..

dLMN8R

Hey guys, every time i try the windows 8.1 preview and update it to 8.1, it gives me a error code and brings me back to my previews settings saying it cant be updated. I have Win8 pro legal and all so i dont get it..

Surely you kept track of the error code considering that's literally the only way anyone can possibly help you, right?

Actually, it was my mistake. There is no error code. All it says is: "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the computer."

Thats it. This happens on the: Setting up a few more things" screen at 39% every time.

I have Windows 8 Pro already on there. Legal and everything.

Edit: Just found one when it restarted, it says: 0x80070004-0x4000D

Alright, I must be missing something because I still can't find a now playing section in the Xbox Music preview. Obviously when you slot to either side you get a thing but when in full screen mode I just can't find it.

Windu

Alright, I must be missing something because I still can't find a now playing section in the Xbox Music preview. Obviously when you slot to either side you get a thing but when in full screen mode I just can't find it.
right click

Top Bottom