• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP Trigger indeed. Can Trigger's works really be that much more popular in the West? It'd be interesting to see what the geography of the kickstarter doners looked like.

probably more to the west. Wasn't it because of their youtube release that garnered enough popularity for them to consider ks in the first place?

Jex

probably more to the west. Wasn't it because of their youtube release that garnered enough popularity for them to consider ks in the first place?

I wish they'd taken some more inspiration from other Western Kickstarters in terms of stretch goals and rewards, it feels like they could have made a lot more than they got.

I don't think Kill la Kill is enough like LWA that you can predict the performance of one by the other.

Also:

gjzm7TA.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
I think it's just his name in kanji (渡辺 信一郎).

Thanks. I remember them asking if I wanted it in both English and Japanese and I thought they were referring to the quote on the left when they were probably referring to his name. Cool.

Oh, did you go to the Kanno signing on Friday? I think I saw you walking around carrying a huge-ass folder/board thingy, and I was wondering what the heck was in there. That's nice!

I was at the con myself, but didn't do the Kanno signing (and had to leave before the concert yesterday).

Should have some kind of AnimeGAF (or GAF in general) meetup next year if there already isn't something like that.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think Kill la Kill is enough like LWA that you can predict the performance of one by the other.

Also:

gjzm7TA.jpg

Those points really aren't that valid. Not like it aired at all on TV in the US and calling it a Saturday morning cartoon is true in both countries but that's more indicative of the tone.

cajunator

Banned
always bet uguu~ in salty bet.

Yeah Cute usually wins. The cuter, the more overpowered.

The OP is pretty good.

It so is. One of my favorites.

Japan what the hell are you doing?!

I approve of this. AnimeGAF needs more people who don't hate SAO. I just hope this attitude continues through the later parts of the series that many people seem to particularly hate.

I know nothing of Kamisama Dolls, but this sounds like a remarkably accurate description of the similarly-titled Fantasista Doll.

I still love it though.

Kamisama Dolls is like a tiny bit of Narutaru but not nearly as disturbing or fucked up.

Jex

Also:

gjzm7TA.jpg

I think those are valid points to consider. If it really was badly organized e.g. not promoted early enough for people to make room in their diaries and poorly promoted in general I could believe that to be the biggest issue of all but I don't know nearly enough about the story to draw a conclusion.

Those points really aren't that valid. Not like it aired at all on TV in the US and calling it a Saturday morning cartoon is true in both countries but that's more indicative of the tone.

Not airing in visible spots on TV is just one of the ways the short would not have been able to gain visibility among the mainstream audience it appeals to.

Unless you know how well advertised this event was (and it appears it was not well advertised at all - there are several comments on the yaraon post along the lines of "This was a thing?"), you shouldn't judge the Japanese reception of LWA by the cancellation of this event. At least wait to see how the sales of Trigger's BD release are.

The biggest reason you shouldn't judge Kill la Kill by the performance of LWA, is because Kill la Kill has the behemoth Aniplex behind it with all their marketing power, whereas LWA has to rely on Trigger alone to promote it.

Dresden

I think it was set on some ungodly time (what, 10pm~1am on a Thursday evening?), too, but considering where it's at, it's not unreasonable to be surprised at the lack of a turnout. It's a city with 13 million people. It's silly to make it a referendum on Japan as a whole or whatever, but the general lack of interest in the content presented is pretty off-putting.

Clearly the solution is to just bring along a popular VA next time.

I think it was set on some ungodly time (what, 10pm~1am on a Thursday evening?), too, but considering where it's at, it's not unreasonable to be surprised at the lack of a turnout. It's a city with 13 million people. It's silly to make it a referendum on Japan as a whole or whatever, but the general lack of interest in the content presented is pretty off-putting.

Clearly the solution is to just bring along a popular VA next time.

And if none of those 13 million people knew the event was taking place, what then? I don't think you can say there's a lack of interest in the content of LWA; it's by far the most popular Anime Mirai short.

Time to ruin the fun:
the event was not promoted anywhere but Twitter.

Yeah...

cajunator

Banned
I'm fine with episodes 1-14 and episode 25. It's what lies between that irks me.

Pretty much. the first few episodes didnt really put anybody off. See how many stick around when stuff really starts going stupid.

If Kill la Kill and Space Dandy both bomb, I might have to take a year or two off of anime. Just forget that it exists for a while.

Why on earth would you do that MadP? Great shows bomb all the time. It happens everywhere.

RIP Trigger indeed. Can Trigger's works really be that much more popular in the West? It'd be interesting to see what the geography of the kickstarter doners looked like.

I really think its possible.

Frankly, having an event specifically for a single 20 minute OVA seems a bit much to me, but crazier things have been done for sure...

Having a big event for a tiny not very well known OVA project does sound a bit ambitious.

Thats just Trigger being bad with business. Everyone knows you don't sell event tickets but included them in the Blu-rays to boost sales!

This too lol. Thats why some bundled series blurays had lots of sales.

Kazzy

Absolutely. You can't really expect the same amount of character development and payoff in the limited time offered by the movie vs the series, although when you take that into consideration it does make you question why they attempted to follow the series so rigidly for Rebuild 1.0. I can only assume they wanted to ensure the movie was a hit and so didn't feel like taking any big creative risks in terms of changing the story.

Which makes it so maddening that they'd later decide to diverge from that formula
(with 3.0 specifically).
It's perhaps that inconsistency which is most galling of all, because if they simply went with the tact of wanting to make a feature length retelling of the original Evangelion, I couldn't really complain. It would make complete sense, what with the troubles that blighted that production. And in terms of monetary gain, I couldn't see fans really grumbling at that prospect.

But as it stands, it's such an odd mishmash of old ideas done badly, and new ones (which are even worse,) that there's a weird sense of indecision that runs throughout these movies. They just don't feel cohesive. As it stands, Rebuild has squandered pretty much everything it set out to do. Well, except maybe the money part.

Damn jarmel inwould of mugged younif i knew what you had signed. Congrats!! This year's otakon was way to stressful, to many fucking people and all the local haunts turned to shit this year :(.

cajunator

Banned
Damn jarmel inwould of mugged younif i knew what you had signed. Congrats!! This year's otakon was way to stressful, to many fucking people and all the local haunts turned to shit this year :(.

Isnt that how conventions typically are? Even ham radio conventions in populous locations are like that.

Dresden

And if none of those 13 million people knew the event was taking place, what then? I don't think you can say there's a lack of interest in the content of LWA; it's by far the most popular Anime Mirai short.

I'm not the one talking about how it'd affect bd sales, I'm just talking about the tickets for this particular event. We get indie comic dudes with nothing but scraps of art on tumblr who get similar turnouts for their shows. The content they offered - talking to the director - didn't appeal to most; otherwise, even on twitter, you'd get coverage.

Jex

Which makes it so maddening that they'd later decide to diverge from that formula
(with 3.0 specifically).
It's perhaps that inconsistency which is most galling of all, because if they simply went with the tact of wanting to make a feature length retelling of the original Evangelion, I couldn't really complain. It would make complete sense, what with the troubles that blighted that production. And in terms of monetary gain, I couldn't see fans really grumbling at that prospect.

But as it stands, it's such an odd mishmash of old ideas done badly, and new ones (which are even worse,) that there's a weird sense of indecision that runs throughout these movies. They just don't feel cohesive. As it stands, Rebuild has squandered pretty much everything it set out to do. Well, except maybe the money part.

You know, what's actually worse about 3.0 is that:
leaving aside some of the 'dressing' like the time-skip basically all the same events happen in the same order that they do in the TV series except that they're mostly done poorly.

cajunator

Banned
I'm not the one talking about how it'd affect bd sales, I'm just talking about the tickets for this particular event. We get indie comic dudes with nothing but scraps of art on tumblr who get similar turnouts for their shows. The content they offered - talking to the director - didn't appeal to most; otherwise, even on twitter, you'd get coverage.

True that maybe the event wasnt enticing enough. Guess the show needs more exposure or the director needs a bit more under his belt. Maybe after Kill La Kill such an event might be more successful.

Minako is too focused on becoming a pro to start gaining weight, though.

see, Im totally cool with her like that. its more realistic than Anorexia Moon. She has that Rihoko thing going on.

Yoh Yoshinari isn't exactly a well-known figure outside hardcore animation nerds.

Minako is too focused on becoming a pro to start gaining weight, though.

Name of artist please.

Sailor Moon SuperSilly 139

I forgot to make a joke a couple episodes ago on how Yellow likes fresh young girls, indicating that he could be a potential lolicon. This episode only confirms it. Creeeeeeeeepy.

Little Girl Swordsman was adorable at least.

(with 3.0 specifically).

Interesting reading your thoughts. I'm not sure I can even really properly articulate how I feel about the whole thing, especially after just having seen 3.0 at Otakon.

Jarmel

Banned
Not airing in visible spots on TV is just one of the ways the short would not have been able to gain visibility among the mainstream audience it appeals to.

Unless you know how well advertised this event was (and it appears it was not well advertised at all - there are several comments on the yaraon post along the lines of "This was a thing?"), you shouldn't judge the Japanese reception of LWA by the cancellation of this event. At least wait to see how the sales of Trigger's BD release are.

The biggest reason you shouldn't judge Kill la Kill by the performance of LWA, is because Kill la Kill has the behemoth Aniplex behind it with all their marketing power, whereas LWA has to rely on Trigger alone to promote it.

You don't need mainstream appeal or audience in order to sell 200 tickets.

This being poorly advertised and timing is a good reason as to why the event failed.

I was somewhat joking about KLK.

Pretty much.

Thank you.

santeesioux

I finally got Tales of Xillia in the mail, i'm not sure what that has to do with this topic, but i thought you guys would be very interested.

Jex

So the Anime World Order have a podcast featuring a guest who has seen Miyazaki's new film The Wind Rises. As you might imagine it doesn't sound like a movie that's likely to blow you away* and Anno is a terrible voice actor.

I think the most interesting comment Mitsugi made about the movie was that it felt far more like a Takahata work than a traditional Miyazaki work and that it was even fairly dry. In addition the movie seems to lack any kind of strong female character but considering that it's supposed to be auto-biographical it's not odd to see Miyazaki diverge from his traditional formula.

*IGN.com

Narag

So the Anime World Order have a podcast featuring a guest who has seen Miyazaki's new film The Wind Rises. As you might imagine it doesn't sound like a movie that's likely to blow you away* and Anno is a terrible voice actor.

I think the most interesting comment Mitsugi made about the movie was that it felt far more like a Takahata work than a traditional Miyazaki work and that it was even fairly dry. In addition the movie seems to lack any kind of strong female character but considering that it's supposed to be auto-biographical it's not odd to see Miyazaki diverge from his traditional formula.

*IGN.com

zeroshiki making the podcast circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom