• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Is So Sorry About How It's Treated Xbox One Fans So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulgrok

I knew M$ PR failed horribly today when I heard 6 year old kids telling their friends not to buy xbox ones because 'they are weak' and my 65 year old mother heard about how bad their DRM is at work and felt the need to tell me not to buy one. If children barely in school and people about to retire have negative views on it and neither of which play games much if at all, then M$ really screwed the pooch.

It will probably take years for the xbox brand to recover from this PR catastrophe.

I knew M$ PR failed horribly today when I heard 6 year old kids telling their friends not to buy xbox ones because 'they are weak' and my 65 year old mother heard about how bad their DRM is at work and felt the need to tell me not to buy one. If children barely in school and people about to retire have negative views on it and neither of which play games much if at all, then M$ really screwed the pooch.

It will probably take years for the xbox brand to recover from this PR catastrophe.
$eriou$ly!

This isn't real is it? Like, not officially released from MS....right?
There are people that still don't know the DRM is gone.

if even your mother know about the DRM and worst of all tell you not to buy the console...
microsoft is in a very bad position

Toki767

I don't doubt that they're sorry. I just think they're more sorry they couldn't get away with what they originally wanted to do.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I've said it before and I'll say it again... that first reveal will haunt them for years to come.

The new watercooler... hah.

ZehDon

Bad news travels further than good news, and the sheer degree of hate they generated with the original Xbox One flooded out into the "real world". It's the worst reveal of a gaming console in history. No one will ever let them live it down. So many people I know simply haven't heard that Microsoft went back on it's policies. Unless Microsoft do a mass media campaign explaining how they tried to screw everyone, and that they changed their minds because their pre-order numbers were unfathomably low, those same people won't know for a long time to come.

They know they've fucked themselves royally despite also knowing they'll sell out at launch. Their NFL ad for the Xbox One does more to confirm to these people that Xbox One isn't about games. Add on top of that that Microsoft simply don't have a mass market killer app in their launch line up that instantly shuts down those kinds of comments, and I think it becomes clear why they're sending poor Major Nelson across the country to be insulted and spat at.

"Xbox One" is going into launch with an awful public image. It's also more expensive and has Kinect - which wouldn't be horrible, except that its from a company currently associated with mass privacy invasion. They've "lost" the launch already; they're looking at re-building their public image. And it's going to take them years to do it.

Biker19

Banned
I get it. The dev saying PS4 is 50% more power thread gets locked so we got to resurrect the other lets defecate of MS thread. Sigh, 75 more days...

Is this kind of post really necessary?

Bad news travels further than good news, and the sheer degree of hate they generated with the original Xbox One flooded out into the "real world". It's the worst reveal of a gaming console in history. No one will ever let them live it down. So many people I know simply haven't heard that Microsoft went back on it's policies. Unless Microsoft do a mass media campaign explaining how they tried to screw everyone, and that they changed their minds because their pre-order numbers were unfathomably low, those same people won't know for a long time to come.

They know they've fucked themselves royally despite also knowing they'll sell out at launch. Their NFL ad for the Xbox One does more to confirm to these people that Xbox One isn't about games. Add on top of that that Microsoft simply don't have a mass market killer app in their launch line up that instantly shuts down those kinds of comments, and I think it becomes clear why they're sending poor Major Nelson across the country to be insulted and spat at.

"Xbox One" is going into launch with an awful public image. It's also more expensive and has Kinect - which wouldn't be horrible, except that its from a company currently associated with mass privacy invasion. They've "lost" the launch already; they're looking at re-building their public image. And it's going to take them years to do it.

This. Microsoft's the next Sega in terms of losing trust from consumers.

This is one thing that companies like Microsoft should never, ever do, is make consumers mad by screwing them over in any way possible.

Once you lost all trust from consumers, it's hard to regain it back. They're the ones who makes you & your products successful.

SeanR1221

I can't be the only one who's surrounded by people that not only have no clue what DRM is but also don't know what MS' original policies were.

Domino792

I can't be the only one who's surrounded by people that not only have no clue what DRM is but also don't know what MS' original policies were.

Idk many people that i have talked to knew about the blocking of used games, but had no idea Microsoft changed their stance. Bad news really does travel.

fritolay

When I bring up the new PS4 and XB1, most people that I would consider more than casual gamers, but not viewing Neogaf, don't know about all the stuff like XB1 doing a 180. They just know new systems are coming out.

EDIT:

Exactly

Myshkin

Why is this characterized as an apology tour? I don't see any quote that looks like an apology. Does anyone have video? I want to see how high up Major Nelson is holding his head.

_1371427481.jpg

Are they comparing weiners? I can't tell who is winning. Needs better anisotropic filtering.

For the record, I agree with you. Sony's actual actions that caused them to be in the position they were with PS3 are in no way comparable to what Microsoft was attempting, which was a straight consumer routing. I am merely saying I prefer THIS immediate change and response to Sony's slow and plodding acceptance over a number of years that "ok, maybe we do have to change some things."

I don't see anything slow and plodding about Sony's response to their initial position with the PS3. Most everyone would have been thrilled if the PS3 had been released at an affordable price, right? So what they needed to work on was reducing manufacturing costs, and you can be sure that was their top priority right away.

Fantasmo

Oh Microsoft. You shit the bed again didn't you? You got greedy! Again... hm...

Well look at the bright side, you can always make it up to people! Oh wait, you really stood your ground didn't you?

Well then let's just skip to reality. Here's a nice powerful lesson for you. Your investors? Yeah, they don't mean shit. Get more, its cool. Get more, be my guest. Get them on the board and all that. Just do it.

Now that you have ALL THESE INVESTORS YOU NEED TO IMPRESS, its time to make and sell something.

Except guess what? Those investors that are expecting more? They're dumb. Don't look now but you bent under pressure to dumb investors! Don't you know by now that investors are typically the only in it for money? These are people who dump money into your company knowing next to nothing about the product. That's why they invest instead of "run shit". Did you know that?

Oh you didn't, well okay "lol" I guess!

Well here's your lesson Microsoft..

There's a line. You crossed it. Your REAL investors are the people who buy your products. Your investors typically know NOTHING about your product... and its time you bought back a lot of stock. Your desire to appease these outsiders is going to make you bankrupt.

So start fuckin listening.

Your customers don't like your investors. And in the short term, your investors are in charge. But if you like your little cushy office and job I suggest you start paying attention to the people that REALLY ACTUALLY give you a job.

Hint... its not your damn investors. Its the geniuses that put xbox360 in action as well as Xbox Live's Party chat and cross game chat. Listen to them.

Assuming you want to stick around of course.

timlot

Banned
Why is this characterized as an apology tour? I don't see any quote that looks like an apology.

It really wasn't an apology. This article is just a hit piece full of his assumptions. Kind of sad because the AP and Reuters are some what respected news organizations who's articles get picked up by a number of news publications. But, this article look like something that could have been written by a number of NeoGaf's "best".

I'm on the "I already forgave you" boat regarding Microsoft. :p

I'll forgive you even more though, if you give us a free game. Heh, seriously I want a free FIFA or Forza in America.

Toki767

It's not that big a news. There's no proof Microsoft did that. In all likelihood it was just a few people making bots.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The only thing that seems to be insulting to my intelligence, not just as a gamer is the fact they are trying to pass off pausing in a game as a new feature, fucking brilliant feature.

I'm thinking that pause is more sleep mode like portables have had for years now. Basically a save-state where you can power off the console instead of a "pause."

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
One guy making a couple of accounts and using a simple script could have easily done made all those tweets. I'm not saying it wasn't someone who works for MS, but it could easily be some guy trying to make them look bad, or some fanboy trying to make Xbox win. Plus, it's not even being done in a subtle way.

Fantasmo

It's not that big a news. There's no proof Microsoft did that. In all likelihood it was just a few people making bots.
You think a scriptkiddy fanboy is behind this?
I suppose its possible. At the very least GameSpot needs to be informed don't you think?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I highly doubt it's some concentrated effort from MS on some months old poll. They've done some stupid things recently, but I don't think they'd waste their time on rigging some worthless gamespot poll.

Blanquito

I highly doubt it's some concentrated effort from MS on some months old poll. They've done some stupid things recently, but I don't think they'd waste their time on rigging some worthless gamespot poll.

Agreed. Most people have forgotten about the poll, so I bet MS would prefer that attention not be brought back to it.

KoopaTheCasual

There are people that still don't know the DRM is gone.

Seriously. Some people baselessly claim that the market won't care in 6 months and will forget that MS ever tried DRM, but they completely fail to acknowledge that the new Xbox One policies post-180 don't have nearly the same amount of exposure that the DRM fiasco recieved. Until I see New York Times, Huffington Post, BBC, and NBC put out headlines like "The New Xbox is totally user friendly now!" The message of MS's reversals won't travel nearly as fast as the DRM hatred. It's going to take time, and a lot of work.

I know it's hard for some people to accept but all these casuals (who dont have a strong preference and thus dont religiously follow XB1 or PS4 news) don't browse tech sites and GAF. Anecdote incoming: Last week my brother even brought up how 'messed up' it was that the new Xbox doesn't play used games, until I had to tell him MS already changed that policy. MS isn't dumb, and perhaps the lagging pre-orders are another reminder. They have an uphill battle to fight. Thankfully, they're responding much faster than Sony was to criticism in 2006, so I gotta give credit where credit is due.

Drager

Banned
No need to apologize to me. I'm done with discs. I'm all in on the digital download. I don't sell my games to Gamestop. I want my console games like I have my PC games on Steam- Just a download away.

The gaming public is fickle and I'm still blown on how MS burnt bridges with the gaming public so hard.

It really hit hard when my gaming associate at my Best Buy told me he so far took 117 PS4 to 35 XBO pre-orders, that's just insane.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
The gaming public is fickle and I'm still blown on how MS burnt bridges with the gaming public so hard.

It really hit hard when my gaming associate at my Best Buy told me he so far took 117 PS4 to 35 XBO pre-orders, that's just insane.
That's basically what we all have been hearing and... wait a minute

That's almost a 4:1 ratio

Thankfully, they're responding much faster than Sony was to criticism in 2006, so I gotta give credit where credit is due.
SONY didn't do anything to the level of MS, as in anti consumer. MS changed their ways due to money, not because they felt "sorry" for the consumer. If Pre-orders were on par, or even better than the PS4. MS would have never changed their stance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom