• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Scores 12/07 (Fire Emblem Wii, Contra 4, GHIII, etc)

botticus

sk3tch said:
Chris Hoffman
Chris Shepperd
George Sinfield
Steve Thomason
Scott Pelland
Pete Michaud
Chris Slate
Brett E.
Who of those was on the old staff? Shepperd and George? I don't remember many other names.

sk3tch

Petrae said:
Wrong.

Even if it only had Wiimote controls, the game would still be infinitely better than either The Bigs or the rudimentary version of baseball contained within Wii Sports.

Can anyone summarize what the reviewer's alleged beefs with the game are?

- Positive, positive, positive
- BAM! Ends with "Unfortunately, for all of its cool options and play modes, Power Pros fails to hit it out of the park because the on-field gameplay is disappointingly simplistic and suffers from lackluster controls. Maybe next year." Review by Steve T.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
sk3tch said:
Chris Hoffman
Chris Shepperd
George Sinfield
Steve Thomason
Scott Pelland
Pete Michaud
Chris Slate
Brett E.

They didn't leave! Nintendo Power lives

botticus said:
Who of those was in the old staff? Shepperd and George?
All of them but Chris Slate and Brett I believe

king zell said:
Sin and Punishment Wii sequel not out of the question
October 23rd, 2007

Coming from the latest issue of Nintendo Power…

NP: When we spoke a couple of years ago, you mentioned that you would like to do a sequel to Sin and Punishment. Has the team given any more thought to that? And don’t you think it would be a perfect fit for Wii?

Masato Maegawa, Treasure: When we were originally working on Sin and Punishment [for Virtual Console], there was some discussion utilizing Wii-like controls, and I think now that we’re working more with the Wii, it is something we’d very much like to try.
Called it.

king zell said:
October 23rd, 2007

NP: When we spoke a couple of years ago, you mentioned that you would like to do a sequel to Sin and Punishment. Has the team given any more thought to that? And don’t you think it would be a perfect fit for Wii?

Masato Maegawa, Treasure: When we were originally working on Sin and Punishment [for Virtual Console], there was some discussion utilizing Wii-like controls, and I think now that we’re working more with the Wii, it is something we’d very much like to try.

That's a new thread if I ever saw one.

Haunted

king zell said:
October 23rd, 2007

:eek: :eek:

Superblatt said:
That's a new thread if I ever saw one.
do it.

Zeed

Banned
king zell said:
October 23rd, 2007

UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF

Tiktaalik

Why no score for Geometry Wars DS? Wasn't 1up Yours pimping that one as being better than the Wii version?

Interesting criticisms about Front Mission. The full reviews should be interesting. We might see a wide range of scores for this game from varying outlets.

Model 500

sk3tch said:
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Wii) 9.5
Contra 4 (DS) 8.5
Geometry Wars: Galaxies (Wii) 8.0
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Wii) 9.0
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (Wii) 9.0

Getting these, a bit underwhelmed by their BWii score, will have to wait for more impressions.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
Probably too complicated for them to wrap their poor widdle casual gaming heads around.

You talkin bout Power Pros?

Model 500

Tiktaalik said:
Why no score for Geometry Wars DS? Wasn't 1up Yours pimping that one as being better than the Wii version?

They would in any case, so it's better to hold your breath until more impressions or trying it out yourself.

Jiggy

sk3tch said:
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii) 9.5
Contra 4 (DS) 8.5
Geometry Wars: Galaxies (Wii) 8.0
Front Mission (DS) 6.5
Mega Man ZX Advent (DS) 8.5
Ordered one, heavily considering another two, waiting for price drops on the other two.

Battalion Wars 2 (Wii) 7.5
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 (Wii) 6.5
Sad thing is that I'd think of that as a step up from the previous games.

Anyway, other than the really unusual score for Front Mission, I generally appreciate the tastes of these reviewers. (Including the games I didn't mention.)

masud

Banned
sk3tch said:
- BAM! Ends with "Unfortunately, for all of its cool options and play modes, Power Pros fails to hit it out of the park because the on-field gameplay is disappointingly simplistic and suffers from lackluster controls. Maybe next year." Review by Steve T.
WHAT WHAT WHAT!?

For my Official Zack and Wiki thread, would you be able to kindly tell me what they say about the game in the review?

It would be much appreciated.

Petrae

sk3tch said:

Thanks for the reply, sk3tch. I appreciate it.

I don't know what Thomason was looking for here. If he was complaining about fielding, then I'd be inclined to agree, as that's probably the worst aspect of the overall gameplay... but the batting and pitching engines are extremely playable.

Plus... it's freaking baseball. Simplistic? How complex does the game need to be? This is why "old-school" baseball video games like RBI Baseball, Baseball Stars, and Bad News Baseball are still just as play-worthy today as they were in their collective heyday. It doesn't take 12 buttons and ridiculously complex controls to play a solid game of baseball. Just hit the ball, pitch the ball, and field it when it's hit to you.

The MLB2Kx series paints pretty pictures of the game, but fails to execute consistently good games of baseball. SCEA's MLB: The Show is a very good mix of aesthetics (for a last-gen console) and gameplay... but MLB Power Pros trumps it in terms of the little things, like extra stats, stadium detail, and even minutia like having the option to toss the ball into the stands at the end of an inning or adding an extra couple of miles per hour to a fastball by mashing on a button when you need it.

It's not perfect, but MLB Power Pros has given me some of the most fun baseball experiences (in a video game) that I've had in many years.

A 6.5 is about as wrong as Cleveland's third base coach was in Game 7 of the ALCS.

sk3tch

_Alkaline_ said:
For my Official Zack and Wiki thread, would you be able to kindly tell me what they say about the game in the review?

It would be much appreciated.

- Combines clever use of the Wii remote and positively brilliant puzzle design
- Variety is astounding
- Piecing it all together comes with a great sense of satisfaction
- You will be scratching your head with some regularity, the puzzles are never so esoteric to leave you feeling cheated
- Charm to burn; with an energetic sense of humor and an appealing visual style reminiscent of Wind Waker.
- One of the Wii's best-looking titles; not for technical merit but because of the care that went into creating a very complete aesthetic.
- Animation is especially fantastic
- 20+ hours; adventure is plenty long - never, ever drags
- Tons of extra stuff to do.
- Concern about name of game; may not do well at retail because of it.
- Truly deserves to be a big hit
- One of the system's most creative, entertaining titles.

Review by Steve T.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Why are people surprised about Battalion Wars 2's score? The 1st one sucked and they haven't changed anything but add multiplayer

sk3tch

Petrae said:
Thanks for the reply, sk3tch. I appreciate it.

You are welcome. :)

If it helps, he does mention that he is an RPG nut and a baseball fanatic...so that was why he loved a lot about the game. He at least talks the talk as someone that should like this title.

P.S. I have to leave for a while. So anyone else with the issue, please chime in to answer questions.

Firestorm

sk3tch said:
Chris Hoffman
Chris Shepperd
George Sinfield
Steve Thomason
Scott Pelland
Pete Michaud
Chris Slate
Brett E.

Scott was the old Editor-in-Chief. So even he stayed. I guess NP is basically the same? Did they even move offices?

Fire Emblem! I am really looking forward to this one. I do hope Zack and Wiki lives up to the hype. I don't even care about story, graphics, sound. As long as the puzzles are as challenging and well-conceived as everyone says they are, I will be infinitely happy. Bwii is disappointingly low but I did enjoy the first one and I do feel the series has a unique charm. I hope it isn't worse than its predecessor as this score indicates.

Front Mission is surprisingly low. I pre-ordered it out of blind faith but I have liked many games that are apparently similar to it. On top of that, I have Phoenix Wright and DQMJ on my to buy list as well.

A surprisingly solid month. If Nintendo keeps this up, I might not complain as much.

Would you please summarize what was said about the Brawl soundtrack? I know they say it's excellent but I'd love to know if the tracks are going to be orchestrated and impressions on tracks not on the Dojo.

Souldriver said:
Is NP pretty easy on giving ratings, or is this a particularly good month for the Wii and DS?
They've been a lot harder recently than they were in previous years. It's also hard to tell how, if at all, Chris Slate changed things.

Pellham

Banned
jj984jj said:
WTF? Did different people review FM and FE? And the graphics are from the PS1 version so they should look fine.

The one hour battle thing I can understand, is a stupid complaint (as battles SHOULD take 1+ hours). However, if you're trying to imply that FE has terrible graphics, you've failed miserably.

Who of those was on the old staff? Shepperd and George? I don't remember many other names.

Scott Pelland has been there for like, forever.

Haunted

sk3tch said:
- Combines clever use of the Wii remote and positively brilliant puzzle design
- Variety is astounding
- Piecing it all together comes with a great sense of satisfaction
- You will be scratching your head with some regularity, the puzzles are never so esoteric to leave you feeling cheated
- Charm to burn; with an energetic sense of humor and an appealing visual style reminiscent of Wind Waker.
- One of the Wii's best-looking titles; not for technical merit but because of the care that went into creating a very complete aesthetic.
- Animation is especially fantastic
- 20+ hours; adventure is plenty long - never, ever drags
- Tons of extra stuff to do.
- Concern about name of game; may not do well at retail because of it.
- Truly deserves to be a big hit
- One of the system's most creative, entertaining titles.

Review by Steve T.
wow. That sounds too good to be true.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Pellham said:
The one hour battle thing I can understand, is a stupid complaint (as battles SHOULD take 1+ hours). However, if you're trying to imply that FE has terrible graphics, you've failed miserably.
I am referring to the time complaint, it's a strategy RPG.

AniHawk said:
Damn straight.

Im playing Jeanne D'Arc right now and have never been more pumped for a new strategy RPG.

Best part is, I have seen ads for Fir Emblem on 3 major game sites. Im glad word is getting out.

Unfortunately Zack and Wiki is going to do horrible if only because of the name. The game looks fantastic, but with a horrid name and zero fucking marketing, I cant image it doing well at all. Very very unfortunate.

Souldriver said:
Is NP pretty easy on giving ratings, or is this a particularly good month for the Wii and DS?
Nintendo Power are not easy in their reviews. Here are a few of my favorite quotes from past 'Nintendo Power Reviews':

Mario Party 8 (NP July '07):
Eight is enough

Forever Blue 2 (NP May '07)
When boredom attacks

Prince of Persia Rival Swords (NP May '07)
I'm begging you, Ubisoft, enough with the half-assed ports already!

:lol

Nuclear Muffin said:
Does the US version of FE use the pointer for controls? (I know that we`re getting 16x9 support, are we getting any other upgrades?)

The controller was a sideways Wiimote in the Wii commercial released during last week's summit.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
Uhhhhh... no?

I know you weren't. It was my lame attempt to make the same point about the Power Pros score which seems really low.

sk3tch said:
- No way to target a particular enemy, animations cannot be skipped
- Battles are tedious by '07 standards (each one can take up to an hour)
- Graphics have not changed much since Super Famicom iteration
- Grid screens a tad small for DS screens (difficult to tell units apart)

Conclusion is "still, if you're looking for solid, old-school strategizing, you need look no farther than Front Mission." Review by George S.
I'm not quite sure what that means. I'm still intending to get this though the review scores worry me. I might just get Zack & Wiki instead.

Johnas

I can't be the only person curious about the comments for Contra IV.

I mean 8.5 is a great score, but I was really expecting 9+.

Johnas said:
I can't be the only person curious about the comments for Contra IV.

I mean 8.5 is a great score, but I was really expecting 9+.

Same here. I'd love to hear what they had to say about it. Does it mention how you unlock Contra and Super C?

GDGF

Soothsayer
That's a pretty low score for Front Mission. I'd have given the SNES game a higher score than that, and the DS edition has a lot of new content.

Good to see Chris Slate at the helm of NP, though. He's a Nintendo fan through and through.

And OMG to the Sin and Punishment news.

Top Bottom