• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kodiak said:
smash.jpg
So that's where the cat comes from.

miyuru

MrCheez said:
I'm just trying to figure out how they will prevent it... Say the game knows when you're about to place the final tile that will fully enclose the stage and doesn't let you fill in the gap. (This would be a stage with one tiny hole, as you describe above).

Well, couldn't you put another floor a bit above the gap so that technically there is a still a gap, but no one will ever get knocked under there?

It will be interesting to see what limitations this has.

Yeah for sure. But you have to see the big picture - regardless of whether or not you could make such a stage, who really cares? I wouldn't play a stage where you can't win more than once. You'd have to play it in HP mode for it to be useful.

Tim-E

Linkzg said:
playable Ridley would be awful anyway, much better suited as a boss character in adventure mode.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks so. It blows my mind sometimes how many people think a playable Ridley would be a great idea.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
miyuru said:
Yeah for sure. But you have to see the big picture - regardless of whether or not you could make such a stage, who really cares? I wouldn't play a stage where you can't win more than once. You'd have to play it in HP mode for it to be useful.

Oh yeah, it's not a big deal at all either way. I'm just really curious about what this editor will and won't let you do. :lol

MrNibbles

Banned
(The editor will be this robust, but if Sakurai / someone working with him sees this, please make it happen!)

PONG STAGE IDEA:

Simply a PONG board/field.

You have a top and bottom, so you can only be killed by flying off to the sides.
The paddles on the left and right play a game of pong, (and actually keep score!).
If you fly to he side, you can be saved by crashing into one of the paddles.
Characters that can wall jump can jump off of the paddles.
You can be hit by the pong ball for MASSIVE DAMAGE (like Birdo's egg).
You can catch and throw the pong ball as well.

TETRIS STAGE IDEA:

A Tetris field.

You are in the well, so the only way to die is by being shot up and out.
As pieces fall (like tools in Game & Watch's stage, but only a few at a time), you can be hit by them.
The stage plays a game of Tetris which gets faster and faster (and then goes back to the starting speed after reaching level 9 or so).

As the stage builds higher and higher, you are easier to kill.
You can help clear lines by catching a Tetris piece, rotating with B, and droping it to place it.

You can throw the Tetris piece at other players as well.

If you clear lines your opponents will take damage.
If you get stuck in the field, smash the blocks to get out! If a piece crushes you, you take massive damage and fly up.

Imagine grabbing a line (I piece) and spiking it down the well to clear 4 lines, while also killing the poor sap who fell into the well.

And of course, the music!!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Mr. Pointy said:
This is fucking amazing.

There's only one thing that can top this - being able to make your Mii into a custom character. Or Viewtiful Joe as a secret character. Either or.

every time my soul dies a little.

I swear you all do this to me on purpose :(

Axalon

In before people get off the update high and start speculating that xxx feature won't be in the stage editor and therefore is a letdown or that you can't script actions or something else.

Hmmmm... if this stuff is savable to SD cards...

Could this mean we could have online archives of fan made stages online run by fans?

This could skip the Friends code requirement.

PkunkFury said:
I fully expect this. I would be really surprised if Miis aren't playable
I'm now totally expecting Sakurai's blog building up to reveal this glorious moment. He will also announce that you can buy moves for your Mii with in-game coins or unlock them with some kind of custom adventure mode. Also, you can download Miis to fight against - like Shiggy, Reggie, Iwata, Sakurai or pretty much anyone who works at NCL, NOA or NOE.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Tim-E said:
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks so. It blows my mind sometimes how many people think a playable Ridley would be a great idea.

Why wouldn't Ridley be a good playable character? Put aside the boss question. What makes Ridley unsuited for playability?

He's got a variety of attacks suitable for moves in this game. He's got claws, fire breath, his long prehensile tail, and his jaws, for instance. He could utilize the gliding mechanic with his wings. He would bring a needed villainous presence to the roster (seeing as neither Dedede or Meta Knight are really villains) and be a good heavyweight to boot.

MrNibbles said:
(The editor will be this robust, but if Sakurai / someone working with him sees this, please make it happen!)

PONG STAGE IDEA:

Simply a PONG board/field.

You have a top and bottom, so you can only be killed by flying off to the sides.
The paddles on the left and right play a game of pong, (and actually keep score!).
If you fly to he side, you can be saved by crashing into one of the paddles.
Characters that can wall jump can jump off of the paddles.
You can be hit by the pong ball for MASSIVE DAMAGE (like Birdo's egg).
You can catch and throw the pong ball as well.

TETRIS STAGE IDEA:

A Tetris field.

You are in the well, so the only way to die is by being shot up and out.
As pieces fall (like tools in Game & Watch's stage, but only a few at a time), you can be hit by them.
The stage plays a game of Tetris which gets faster and faster (and then goes back to the starting speed after reaching level 9 or so).

As the stage builds higher and higher, you are easier to kill.
You can help clear lines by catching a Tetris piece, rotating with B, and droping it to place it.

You can throw the Tetris piece at other players as well.

If you clear lines your opponents will take damage.
If you get stuck in the field, smash the blocks to get out! If a piece crushes you, you take massive damage and fly up.

Imagine grabbing a line (I piece) and spiking it down the well to clear 4 lines, while also killing the poor sap who fell into the well.

And of course, the music!!

Um, yeah you chose from pre-determined items and platforms you cant just go all out and create your own theme and background or anything...

PkunkFury

Golden Darkness said:

Could this mean we could have online archives of fan made stages online run by fans?

I don't see why not. Shouldn't be any different than what wiisave.com and such are doing

Man, sharing stages online and trying them will be so fun. "Game of the Forever" indeed, as in "YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO PUT THIS GAME DOWN...FOREVER".

Golden Darkness said:

I've never used SD cards with my Wii, how does it encode the files?

PkunkFury said:
I don't see why not. Shouldn't be any different than what wiisave.com and such are doing

Only thing holding this idea back is probably the file size of the stages and how the data is stored and named. Could possibly make it tricky to manage fan stages outside of Smash.

Iam Canadian

ShockingAlberto said:
Gangplank Galleon

Ignore the actual video. I couldn't find one that matched to DKC in specific.

Also the video's pretty funny if you don't take it seriously.

Gangplank Galleon's pretty good...though I prefer Stickerbrush Symphony, Kannon's Klaim, and Aquatic Ambience.

Iam Canadian

Golden Darkness said:
Only thing holding this idea back is probably the file size of the stages and how the data is stored and named. Could possibly make it tricky to manage fan stages outside of Smash.

Now, keep in mind that I am basically technologically illiterate...but is it possible that the level files will be nothing more than directions as to which assets from Brawl to load and where to put them, and not actually contain any in-game assets themselves?

Crocodile

I said WOW! Followed by HOLY CRAP, amongst other words. *applauds Sakurai*

Knowing my self I'll probably end up making only one or two stages tops but I certainly look forward to playing on the stages of others. I just can't believe we are still more than 3 full months away and they still have megatons of this magnitude left to spare?!?!? Lord Almighty, I want to say "how can he top this?", but he's managed to do so each time. Fuck it, I'm going to say it! HOW CAN HE TOP THIS?!

*Waits for eventual update in which Sakurai tops the Stage Editor*

Eteric Rice

Iam Canadian said:
Now, keep in mind that I am basically technologically illiterate...but is it possible that the level files will be nothing more than directions as to which assets from Brawl to load and where to put them, and not actually contain any in-game assets themselves?

That's quite possible, yes.

Jiggy

-Today has brought us the 11th megaton, and also the 4th megaton of October--the others being co-op Subspace Emissary, the reveal of Sonic, and Replay saving. What an insanely great month for updates.

-For three Mondays running we've had a stage-related update.

-We've now escaped 30, count 'em, thirty days of updates--that's weekdays only, yes, no weekends--with no item. If ever there was a time to predict that tomorrow will bring something horribly lame, this just may be it. :p Not that it matters since we'll all still be on a high from this.

Tieno

Iam Canadian said:
That's probably it, similar to the Halo 3 saved films and forge custom maps. They only say 'this crate should stand there' or 'then I jumped, pressed triggers and threw a grenade'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom