• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I've played...uh, a lot...this weekend (I just finished Killzone) and my sticks are fine. I really think this might be down to individual playstyle or maybe finger oils or something. I don't think I'm that gentle with mine but it's perfect.

6SF5uYi.jpg

I love the grippy texture.

PBY

Banned
I've played...uh, a lot...this weekend (I just finished Killzone) and my sticks are fine. I really think this might be down to individual playstyle or maybe finger oils or something. I don't think I'm that gentle with mine but it's perfect.
Mines fine outside of light flaking. I think the worst ones could be just a bad batch.

I was eating a lot of chips when I played too. Could be having chip fingers had something to do with it. Still, I think playing PS4 and snacking at the same time should be a supported use case.

hohoXD123

No red ones seem to be having this problem.

Good, very good.

There are far fewer red ones out there, so not necessarily good.

I'm actually thinking about walking into a Sony store with it tomorrow and see what they say.

Edit: Another possibility aside from a production /a ssembly issue is that the material could be sensitive to the oiliness or pH level of peoples' skin, and different skin affects the material differently. I have a second DS4 which I've switched to exclusively. If it happens to the second DS4 as well, or with my replacement (assuming Sony store will replace this one), that theory will be more credible.

Has oiliness and slight variations in skin ph been known to affect thumbsticks in the past?

Jack_AG

Banned
After all weekend playing the left thumbstick is now "smooth" compared to the right. I'm sure mine will wear down in time. I do wish they would have not added a "ring" around it. I like the convex sticks better, IMO.

kvothe

I've never had a problem like this before, so I don't think it's my play style or finger oils.

kvothe

Not saying this isn't a problem, but it looks like you mainly have to use the edge of the stick(rather than the middle) to get that kind of damage, even with friction. I can't see how else it can get damaged like that.

I play with my thumb placed in the middle of the stick, but because that outer ring is raised, that bottom bit does push up against my thumb, especially if I'm pushing the stick upwards. Honestly, I was really surprised to see the damage, this isn't something that has happened to me before and I wasn't playing in a particularly "rough" manner.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I still think people need to cut their fingernails. But, I do think I see where some of this can happen. When I'm moving my left thumb down, it catches the bottom left edge really noticeably. And considering how many of the reports are from that exact same spot, I think that's what's happening. When they were QA'ing the controller they might not have played a lot of games that require backwards movement. The solution? Keep the meat of your thumb on the center and not the tip of your thumb.

Mindlog

Agreed. The only people that should be using these controllers are males with short finger nails.
From what I remember you actually get a blue and black pair in the package.
Thanks for the heads up. Went to check out the offerings and Grip It actually makes a bunch of different colors. You can get black/black directly from them.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I still think people need to cut their fingernails. But, I do think I see where some of this can happen. When I'm moving my left thumb down, it catches the bottom left edge really noticeably. And considering how many of the reports are from that exact same spot, I think that's what's happening. When they were QA'ing the controller they might not have played a lot of games that require backwards movement. The solution? Keep the meat of your thumb on the center and not the tip of your thumb.

It's the friction, it doesn't just happen on the edge, the middle smooths out.

Jack_AG

Banned
The problem isnt backwards movement - its forwards movement. Your thumb comes from the bottom left. Pushing up causes your thumb to roll on the edge as the analog is tilted forwards. Pulling back causes your thumb to hit dead center.

Mononoke

Banned
So uh, still haven't had a single wear on my analog sticks. I've been playing non stop for 3 days now. I'll see if anything changes by next week. I wonder if it has to do with a bad batch being made, or maybe individuals fingers (ie. their oil textures or how rough their skin is, or nails).

*shrugs*

Satchel

Banned

Thank fuck.

Because I've had my Dualshock 3s for years and they look new despite TONNES of use. If anything, my 360 sticks show more wear (different rubber type). But again, YEEEEARS of use on both. Countless hours.

No I just need to hope BLOD isn't that common so I don't give in to cancelling my Killzone Camera bundle.

I liked Killzone 3 and didn't like Killzone 2. Will I like or hate Shadow Fall?

coolasj19

The problem isnt backwards movement - its forwards movement. Your thumb comes from the bottom left. Pushing up causes your thumb to roll on the edge as the analog is tilted forwards. Pulling back causes your thumb to hit dead center.

You and I play different I think. My analysis of my playstyle is correct. You have a different one, that is also correct. Unless you wanna post pictures or something.

Jack_AG

Banned
You and I play different I think. My analysis of my playstyle is correct. You have a different one, that is also correct. Unless you wanna post pictures or something.
What's there to take? If the analog is tilted forward, it will expose more of the rear edge of the stick towards the rear of the controller as the platter angles forward - you are pushing against the edge of the stick. Pulling the analog backwards faces the platter towards the rear - increasing surface contact with your thumb. I rest my thumb tips on the center of the analog - pushing forward moves the contact point towards the rear-left edge of the analog against the meat of my thumb. I can only assume that this is how the left-rear edge of the analog gets worn quickest - coupled with forward+click in for running in most games and there you have it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So uh, still haven't had a single wear on my analog sticks. I've been playing non stop for 3 days now. I'll see if anything changes by next week. I wonder if it has to do with a bad batch being made, or maybe individuals fingers (ie. their oil textures or how rough their skin is, or nails).

*shrugs*

It's playstyle, the amount of friction will vary based on how a person plays.

I called my local Sony store, he said they're not doing replacements on controllers because they're not covered by the warranty. Checked the exact text of the warranty in the manual that came with the PS4, and the guy is full of shit.

In any case, he told me I need to contact Amazon. Which is kind of bullshit, what are they going to do have me send back the entire working PS4 to replace the controller?

I have a second DS4 for now, luckily, but i hope Sony figures out what the problem is. And if it's related to peoples' fingers and not a production / assembly issue, then I hope they figure out the material problems, or else thousands of people will be relegated to a life of fucked up controllers.

Will these grip-it covers fit on the DS4? Are the analogs the same size as the DS3? I might buy some for prevention.
In one of the pictures on amazon they have them on the ds4. It's nice because they come with 2 blue and 2 black I think.

bLaiSe

In one of the pictures on amazon they have them on the ds4. It's nice because they come with 2 blue and 2 black I think.
Yeah, I'll order it from their website, they ship it for free overseas. You can even select the colors there. I don't want them blue ones on my black DS4. :)

Yeah, the left stick's grip is a bit worn down compared to the right, and I feel like it could fall apart at any second. Seems like pretty cheap material.

Arkage

Banned
I'm playing Killzone SF and I'm thinking the L3 click might cause this wear process since you're typically walking forward when you click in L3 to run. For me that means I'm pushing almost directly on that edge fairly hard whenever I want to run in the game, which is pretty frequently. This action probably causes significantly more wear that just typically using the stick to move forward or back. I've tried to consciously make myself click in L3 in the middle of the pad now, even though it's kind of weird. What do you guys think?

Metfanant

brother and i have been using the DS4's we have pretty extensively since the 15th and there is no sign whatsoever of wear to the left stick...

daveo42

Banned
Here's mine:

0oihMXAl.jpg

Notice damage in the middle and around the edge. My nail never touches any part of the stick. I think I've logged less than 15 hours with the controller.

I have a feeling the one I'm using right now will end up looking like that. If you happen to notice black flakes coming off of the sticks like you can see on the side of this picture, then you'll probably see this kind of wear. I tend to use the bottom part of my thumb on the stick around the edge and noticed the black flakes early on.

I wish I still had my receipt for it too. Not sure what I did with it.

Looks to me there is a bad batch that some people are getting.

Hopefully Sony lets everyone get a replacement or stores accept returns for a different batch.

Mononoke

Banned
It's playstyle, the amount of friction will vary based on how a person plays.

I kind of get on edge during intense games. Like during Call of Duty, I press down really hard whenever I run. It's just a knee jerk reaction where I press tighter to coincide with me running harder (it's weird I know). So I figured my analog would definitely get wear, seeing as I do tend to press the analog down pretty hard.

But still nothing. I've seen enough pics though to know it's an issue. No doubt. I went ahead and ordered those analog grips from Amazon. Will just put them on anyways.

daveo42

Banned
I kind of get on edge during intense games. Like during Call of Duty, I press down really hard whenever I run. It's just a knee jerk reaction where I press tighter to coincide with me running harder (it's weird I know). So I figured my analog would definitely get wear, seeing as I do tend to press the analog down pretty hard.

But still nothing. I've seen enough pics though to know it's an issue. No doubt. I went ahead and ordered those analog grips from Amazon. Will just put them on anyways.

They have grips for the DS4 on Amazon? I might have to grab some too to save my current controller.

NIGHT-

No!!! Sony was so close to making the pefect controller. Hope all these ps4 issues get resolved by next summer/fall, when I get mine

logic seems to suggest that there was a bad batch of rubber that affected a small percentage of DS4's.

If this was something that affected all DS4's, the issue would have been so viral and so widely reported to the point of hitting critical mass, becoming an unmitigated PR disaster and making headlines all over mainstream press.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No!!! Sony was so close to making the pefect controller. Hope all these ps4 issues get resolved by next summer/fall, when I get mine

The issues are overall are way overblown. The amount DOA seems to be pretty small amongst gaffers, and the PSN has evened off. This is the only serious concern afaik and I'm sure it's done by next summer.

The issues are overall are way overblown. The amount DOA seems to be pretty small amongst gaffers, and the PSN has evened off. This is the only serious concern afaik and I'm sure it's done by next summer.

I'm using a second DS4 now since my first one was affected, and the second one is showing a very slight trace of peeling along the edge. It's too early to tell if this will be affected in the same way as the others (it's so faint that if I posted a picture you wouldn't be able to see it), but it's there, and if it grows the way the other one did then I think it's safe to say it's not a bad batch, but rather that the material doesn't interact well with certain peoples' fingers.

Warablo

I need to buy some thumb caps. The material is already smoothend out on my rstick to the point that it slips off now.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm using a second DS4 now since my first one was affected, and the second one is showing a very slight trace of peeling along the edge. It's too early to tell if this will be affected in the same way as the others (it's so faint that if I posted a picture you wouldn't be able to see it), but it's there, and if it grows the way the other one did then I think it's safe to say it's not a bad batch, but rather that the material doesn't interact well with certain peoples' fingers.

I don't think it was a bad batch either, it was just a bad choice of rubber. In that other post I wasn't referring to the DS4s though I meant the PS4 in general.

coolasj19

What's there to take? If the analog is tilted forward, it will expose more of the rear edge of the stick towards the rear of the controller as the platter angles forward - you are pushing against the edge of the stick. Pulling the analog backwards faces the platter towards the rear - increasing surface contact with your thumb. I rest my thumb tips on the center of the analog - pushing forward moves the contact point towards the rear-left edge of the analog against the meat of my thumb. I can only assume that this is how the left-rear edge of the analog gets worn quickest - coupled with forward+click in for running in most games and there you have it.
It took 30 minutes of sleepy technology fiddling to make this picture happen. Enjoy it.

Synless

Looking at your picture and some of the other peoples pictures in this thread, I am certain one of my controllers (the individual one I bought ahead of time) is going to meet a sad fate. The grippy texture on the inside of the stick has already begun to smooth out and is nearly non-existent from what it was. There is no flaking/tearing yet but I won't know for sure for a few weeks when I can get some solid playtime in with it.

Edit* actually when I spin the stick fast as if I was doing some kind of QTE I can see specks of black rubber on my thumb, God damnit...

Has anyone contacted Sony customer support for a replacement? What are they saying about it? Yoshida ignored my question when I tweeted him about it about a week ago :(

Wow wth have you guys been doing? I've been playing non stop all weekend killing the sticks with COD and Killzone and mine seem fine. Hell i been eating pizza, cookies, burgers while playing.

Maybe I need to check them again in the morning.

It's nothing any of us have been doing, I played probably about 7-8 hours of Killzone and battlefield and there is a noticeable difference from my other controller that I haven't used yet. The thing that really sucks is that I have to find time to test both of these controllers.

EL Beefo

I just checked and mine has some tiny amount of flaking on the left stick, same place as most others. I've put maybe 15 or so hours into it so far, mostly Warframe. It also can't be my fingernails as I'm a chronic nail biter.

kurbaan

Banned
Wow wth have you guys been doing? I've been playing non stop all weekend killing the sticks with COD and Killzone and mine seem fine. Hell i been eating pizza, cookies, burgers while playing.

Maybe I need to check them again in the morning.

Acheteedo

Sure, but lets say a more "normal" playstyle produces 5% of the wear compared to these harsher players, that just means the clock is ticking more slowly. It's still ticking, how will your sticks look in a year from now?

I could be wrong, but I think it's almost safe to say that this problem will get worse with time.

EL Beefo

It took 30 minutes of sleepy technology fiddling to make this picture happen. Enjoy it.

Yeah, I imagine most of us having this problem push up on the stick like myself (told you I'm a nail biter)
4QJd917.jpg

That puts pressure right on the edge where most of the flaking is happening. I would guess it's also mostly on the left stick because aiming on the right stick is mostly left and right movement, and even then you're usually not pushing in one direction for long when aiming.

Tygamr

Most of these controller pictures gross me out. Seriously guys, wipe that stuff down, or wash your hands, or don't eat greasy/oily/sticky food while playing games (or even ever, because seriously- crap is bad for you).

How are the buttons? On both of my dualshock 3 controllers, the casing is rubbing off around the face buttons. Nothing major, but it really bugs me, because on my red DS3, the face buttons all have red rub marks on their sides.

Jack_AG

Banned
Yeah, I imagine most of us having this problem push up on the stick like myself (told you I'm a nail biter)
4QJd917.jpg

That puts pressure right on the edge where most of the flaking is happening. I would guess it's also mostly on the left stick because aiming on the right stick is mostly left and right movement, and even then you're usually not pushing in one direction for long when aiming.
This is how I do it and how Ive pretty much seen everyone else do it. This explains why that rear edge goes fast. It was never an issue with convex sticks on the DS3/2 for me. The tops wore smooth but that was it.

Miguel81

Most of these controller pictures gross me out. Seriously guys, wipe that stuff down, or wash your hands, or don't eat greasy/oily/sticky food while playing games (or even ever, because seriously- crap is bad for you).

How are the buttons? On both of my dualshock 3 controllers, the casing is rubbing off around the face buttons. Nothing major, but it really bugs me, because on my red DS3, the face buttons all have red rub marks on their sides.

You do know that the flash shows all minor dust particles that exist, like, everywhere?

Just wondering if Sony will opt for a hard plastic with dimples (like the xbox one) but keep the convex inner and ridge on the outer part of the stick, for a future revision of the DS4. It should last a hell of a lot longer then. Anything soft was bound to wear out through repeated use. I still have my N64 joystick and it's still going...just about.

Top Bottom