• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
and for the record, this was obviously moneyhatted. The fact that they are still releasing HD-DVD until May, just after an exclusive window, proves that. Kudos to BDA.. they effectively took their destiny into their own hands and made this happen.

well atleast those horribly priced combo dvds will be going budget price now.

I guess thats the only way i can make myself feel better about buying the player.

Dante

OokieSpookie said:
tron1.gif

:lol :lol

djkimothy

Official statement:

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0432340820080104

"The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers," Warner Bros Chairman and Chief Executive Barry Meyer said in a statement.

theBishop

Banned
borghe said:
and for the record, this was obviously moneyhatted. The fact that they are still releasing HD-DVD until May, just after an exclusive window, proves that. Kudos to BDA.. they effectively took their destiny into their own hands and made this happen.

i'm sure there was money exchanged, but c'mon dude. 2:1 sales despite the paramount deal and $200 players are what ended this war. Blu appeared unstoppable, and Warner decided to stop prolonging the inevitable.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Not a giant deal to me. Good for the BRD supporters, but I imagine Paramount, and possibly Universal will still be HD exclusive for a while at least because they are both very likely contractual (unless Sony comes to Toshiba and offers them something to throw in the towel).

Anyone who goes nuts over this really shouldnt have been in the war to begin with, but I imagine some people on AVS and HDD are probably crowing about how they were betrayed. I'm a Sega fan, Ive been conditioned for this day for years. This was allways a very real possibility for either format... but my movies still play, and I see no need to go sell all of them off because of this. In fact, I may take advantage of any real firesale that happens as a result and grab some cheap movies.

I was most likely going dual format sooner rather than later, so I'll probably grab that new Sammy dual format player (which I might get for a song pretty soon).

Sadly for me, real life problems may delay my ability to purchase it for a while.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Opus Angelorum said:
HD-DVD is pretty much set for humiliation at CES, I feel sorry for those involved with the two hour presentation.

Why can't Blu-Ray be region free!
:lol

"So now we're going to demonstrate brand new HDDVD exclusive features, such as.... so who likes Xbox?"

theBishop

Banned
StoOgE said:
Not a giant deal to me. Good for the BRD supporters, but I imagine Paramount, and possibly Universal will still be HD exclusive for a while at least.

That's really up to retail more than the studios.

The good news here is that the format war is over, no need to gloat over HD-DVD owners as they spent a lot of money backing the wrong horse...in the end we all benefit though as one format was really important for widespread adoption of HD media.

Mmmkay

You see this is what I never really got with the Paramount/Dreamworks deal, it was an 'effective immediately' announcement, whereas this Warner one has a more conscientious lead time. Is this likely because Warner has an existing contractual obligation to HD DVD, or does it emphasise how much of an 11th hour saver the Para/DW one was for them?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Mmmkay said:
Is this likely because Warner has an existing contractual obligation to HD DVD, or does it emphasise how much of an 11th hour saver the Para/DW one was for them?

My guess? The latter.

Bonerville High said:
The good news here is that the format war is over, no need to gloat over HD-DVD owners as they spent a lot of money

I spent like $98, and $10 a movie.

backing the wrong horse.

Backing both horses in order to focus on movies instead of formats.

I've actually had BD a lot longer (since PS3 launch). I'll still miss the BOGOs once it's all Blu.

scitek

Phoenix said:
Sell your HD-DVD players, its REALLY all over.

I'm not selling my A2. It's a better upconverting DVD player than my PS3 and all of my 60+ HD DVDs will still work fine. Not to mention, The Matrix trilogy, V for Vendetta and Batman Begins still aren't available on Blu-ray.

ZeroTolerance

scitek said:
I'm not selling my A2. It's a better upconverting DVD player than my PS3 and all of my 60+ HD DVDs will still work fine. Not to mention, The Matrix trilogy, V for Vendetta and Batman Begins still aren't available on Blu-ray.
Yeah great points, but really for how long though ?

Oni Jazar

djkimothy said:
Official statement:

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0432340820080104

Quote:
"The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers," Warner Bros Chairman and Chief Executive Barry Meyer said in a statement.

Gee that sounds familiar. Oh ya it's exactly what I said three pages back.

djkimothy

scitek said:

That will quickly change, plus Dark Knight will be available only on BD

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Bonerville High said:
The good news here is that the format war is over, no need to gloat over HD-DVD owners as they spent a lot of money backing the wrong horse

Not THAT much. I paid $160 to get in. It's the movies that I spend a lot on (over 20), but even if I get 50% of that back, I won't whine about it. It was a risk I took KNOWINGLY when I bought the HD DVD add-on around March of last year.

Phoenix

scitek said:

They will re-release the back catalog as part of going exclusive, so don't worry you'll be able to sell it soon enough.

ConsumerSquare said:
So does this mean for Price Warz? When can I get a reasonably priced Blu player that isn't being weighed down by a useless videogame player?

It means nothing but high prices for the hardware and software.

theBishop

Banned
DrEvil said:
All that's left is Universal and Paramount, for HD-DVD... or did I miss that ship jump too?

little premature for that, but it can't be too far off. I imagine retailers may phase out HD-DVD rather quickly.

Geoff9920

Interesting, I didn't expect anything this significant to happen this soon, but hopefully the other studios will follow suit so this retarded format war can come to an end.

edit: Wow, the reaction of the some of the BD fanboys in this thread is a bit out of hand.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Half of you guys are emotionally retarded, but the TRON gif is the greatest thing of all time for too many reasons to list.

Phoenix

Oni Jazar said:
I can't wait to see what Warner has to say during their scheduled HD DVD conference talk. :D

"Yeah about that change.... sorry guys. Well, I got a Bluray party to go to so... see ya".

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
BotoxAgent said:
hopefully this means better higher bitrate transfers from Warner
yeah, because HP5, Blade Runner, Casablanca, and 2001 have all been woefully inadequate.. are you fucking kidding me? :\

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mmmkay said:
You see this is what I never really got with the Paramount/Dreamworks deal, it was an 'effective immediately' announcement, whereas this Warner one has a more conscientious lead time. Is this likely because Warner has an existing contractual obligation to HD DVD, or does it emphasise how much of an 11th hour saver the Para/DW one was for them?

Well, Warner will stop releasing HD-DVD titles in May 2008, but until then they will also give their DVD and Blu-Ray releases a small "window of exclusivity" since their HD-DVD releases will not ship the same day as their DVD and Blu-Ray releases.

Walshicus

Panajev2001a said:
Why the question marks? I don't buy Sony products and if this is all true then I've no desire to invest any money in to a format of theirs. I'll wait until the next generation of storage media.

Turns out it is true. Alas, can't win them all.

Phoenix

Opus Angelorum said:
It means nothing but high prices for the hardware and software.

Only in bizarro universe. With more people moving to BRD, there will be INCREASED competition on the one format and prices will drop faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom