• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I think I'll avoid some threads like the plague after the Japanese release. Not for spoilers, but "OMG THIS GAME IS SO GOOD AND YOU DONT HAVE IT" type of posts

TreIII

Firestorm said:
I don't see the need for two threads considering the game comes out two weeks after the Japanese release in North America. Mario Galaxy had one worldwide thread didn't it?

What's probably going to happen is that the first thread will be JP-oriented, but will then just transform into the full American launch thread later on.

Firestorm said:
I don't see the need for two threads considering the game comes out two weeks after the Japanese release in North America. Mario Galaxy had one worldwide thread didn't it?
Are you sure? 'cause a bunch of websites have listed the North American release as March. ;)

Aras

Keru_Shiri said:
Are you sure? 'cause a bunch of websites have listed the North American release as March. ;)

here in mexico too, but it depends on the store cause there is a store called gameplanet that has the dojo release date for the game

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
There will not be a worldwide thread for Smash brothers. No way in hell am I gonna deal with you people again.

TreIII

sp0rsk said:
There will not be a worldwide thread for Smash brothers. No way in hell am I gonna deal with you people again.

XD

:lol :lol :lol

Aw, c'mon sp0rsk-y...we all mean so much to each other now!

*gets Peach to cast "Group Hug" from Mario RPG*

Man God

Non-Canon Member
sp0rsk said:

Good lord, sp0rsk has gone Maverick! No wonder he stopped mention of a certain someone in this thread! :D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Not after all the bullshit in the Mario thread, nooooooooooo way! I wanna play the game and talk about it with people who are also playing the game. If you don't want spoilers, enter at your own damn risk!

sp0rsk said:
Not after all the bullshit in the Mario thread, nooooooooooo way! I wanna play the game and talk about it with people who are also playing the game. If you don't want spoilers, enter at your own damn risk!
Amen!

Nintendo Power is hinting that their is a slight chance that SSB64 might appear on the VC
before SSBD realease as they did with Metrioid Prime 3 / Metroid, Super Metroid and Super Mario Galaxy / Super Mario Bros. 3 .

Cynar

sp0rsk said:

Preach it brotha! :D

sp0rsk said:
I agree, threads like that should be about discussing the game. I hated the fact that people thought Bowser being a villain was some sort of spoiler.

With that said, sp0rsk, what will your stance be on SSE spoilers within the Japanese release thread?

KittenMaster said:
wut?

Were they expecting Galaxy to have another made up villain to make Bowser look goofy or something?

I totally expected Captain Falcon the be the final boss, like, he would have pulled a SSF2X Gouki on Bowser. Then when you fight him, he hits you so hard, you lose al of your life meter and can't even fall into a black hole or anything, because he knocks you out of orbit with his almighty Knee of Justice and Doom and you never stop accelerating.

CoolS

So will this be the 200th update?if so I expect people to get really really hyped so it can end in a big disappointment. Of course I'd love to be proven wrong ;)

Holy Order Sol said:
I totally expected Captain Falcon the be the final boss, like, he would have pulled a SSF2X Gouki on Bowser. Then when you fight him, he hits you so hard, you lose al of your life meter and can't even fall into a black hole or anything, because he knocks you out of orbit with his almighty Knee of Justice and Doom and you never stop accelerating.

FALCON PUNCH

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Sp0rsk loves us really, he just has a funny way of showing it. He's kind of like Oscar the Grouch, only really crudely drawn and with no arms and stuff.

Well, I feel this is the last chance of seeing Falcon in the updates this week, so I'm STILL hoping beyond all reasonable hope that it will happen. Don't make me look foolish!

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I really really really hope that they do release the original Smash Bros on VC within the next couple weeks. I have a warchest of Wii points stocked up but im very stingy with my purchases. Smash Bros would justify a purchase

Jiggy

Is anyone else hoping that there's at least one totally original character developed for Brawl? (And/or a character from a new Nintendo IP that's not out yet.) Captain Falcon, Fox, and Falco all had movesets made up specifically for Smash with absolutely no inspirations from their own games, and they turned out pretty well.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Jiggy37 said:
Is anyone else hoping that there's at least one totally original character developed for Brawl? (And/or a character from a new Nintendo IP that's not out yet.) Captain Falcon, Fox, and Falco all had movesets made up specifically for Smash with absolutely no inspirations from their own games, and they turned out pretty well.
modea03_070821b-l.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I can't imagine the Ancient Minister being playable anyway. I mean, he's got no arms or legs from what we've seen so far. That'd be worse than trying to find a moveset for Boo.

Unless his only move would be to drop a world-destroying bomb that ends the match in 2 minutes flat...

Jiggy

SovanJedi said:
I can't imagine the Ancient Minister being playable anyway. I mean, he's got no arms or legs from what we've seen so far. That'd be worse than trying to find a moveset for Boo.
He could always have a bunch of crazy magic attacks that nobody can see coming because he doesn't really animate them.
That'd be pretty broken, though.

Lightning

Banned
I've never played a Super Bros game. How does it work? Are all the characters available from the start or do you have to unlock them?

If anyone could help that will be greatly appreciated. :D

nli10

Jiggy37 said:

KochalkaMonsterMii.gif

Miis are the only glaring Newtendo omission so far, except maybe Wii Fit balance board control scheme/fighting mini-game...

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Lightning said:
I've never played a Super Bros game. How does it work? Are all the characters available from the start or do you have to unlock them?

You have to unlock them. And it is impossible to describe this game. IT really is like any other. Just play Melee. It's on the cheap now. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

JCX

Jiggy37 said:

It would be cool if brawl had its own "sora" to that traveling through worls makes a bit more sense. I think we would know by now if there was one though. Maybe there will be a second-in-command to the subspace minister that can actually fight.

On another note, I think Mii should be brawl's "mokujin" or 'charade'. Mii's appearance should change based on who's moves it is copying.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Lightning said:

well its multiplayer game, up to 4. point of the game is to knock out your oppent out of the ring/stadium . every time you hit someone, the percent goes up, as your percent goes up its easier to knock you off. and you have to unlock quite a few characters before you can get all of it. if you do end up getting it, make sure to play with your buddies, cause its gets competative and fun at the same time.

Lightning said:

It's a really simple game, but if you explore it, it can be really deep as well. There are a bunch of characters in the starting roster and you can unlock the rest by either playing through certain parts like, classic mode, Subspace Emissary, etc, or playing enough matches.
It's a pickup and play kind of game so just try it.

dfyb

Banned
Lightning said:

there is no health bar. the only way to die is to be hit to the edges of the level (fall to the bottom, get hit up or to the side). when you recieve a hit, your percentage at the bottom goes up. the higher your percentage, the farther you fly when you take hits. once you are above 100%, you are very vulnerable to be smacked to the edge of the stage.

the edges of the stage are not visible -- even if your character is not visible, you might have a chance to recover and jump back on the platforms.

skilled players can kill an opponent while the opponent has a relatively low percent. it has a lot to do with controlling the opponent's position. knock him off the platforms and "edgeguard" to try and prevent him from recovering.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Maybe they could make a "Mini Hand:" a Master Hand that's the size of the average character, walks on its fingers, grabs with its body, shoots lightning and bullets like Master Hand etc.

Lightning said:

I'll let Sakurai explain:

basic01_070522a-l.jpg

This is Smash!

What is "Super Smash Bros."?
It's a brawling, battling, action-packed video game that features a varied roster of characters for four-player simultaneous melees!

When you hit an opponent, his or her damage meter builds up.

basic01_070522b-l.jpg

The number at the bottom is the damage meter.

The more damage that builds up, the farther an opponent flies each time he or she gets hit!

basic01_070522c-l.jpg

An opponent with higher damage flies farther.

Soon, people are flying around like rockets.
And when you fly off the screen in any direction.

basic01_070522d-l.jpg

You lose a life!

Also, in some modes, each time you KO an opponent, you earn points.
As an example, you can fight for a mere two minutes in a competition to see who can shoot their opponents off-screen the most.

If you had to call it something, I'd say it's almost like a sport.

As for the characters, unlocking characters is part of it. In SSB4, you started off with 8 starting character (Mario, Samus, Fox, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Link, Pikachu, and Kirby) and unlocked four unlockable characters (Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ness, and Jigglypuff). In Melee, you started off with 15 characters, and unlocked 10 more.

Jiggy

Lightning said:
I've never played a Super Bros game. How does it work?
Imagine a fast-paced 2D action game--Castlevania, Goemon, Contra, Kirby, whatever--with 30+ characters and you should have a decent idea. It's not as focused on close combat as a CV or as focused on long-range combat as a Contra, and it has a lot more freedom of movement than any other action game I can think of, and the characters fight each other instead of chewing through armies of wussy enemies who aren't even close to their level (well, they're not wussy in Contra, but the example's not that important), but you should still have a decent idea. Maybe consider it something like a hybrid of all 2D action games you've ever played?

It's hard to describe. >_>

JCX9 said:
It would be cool if brawl had its own "sora" to that traveling through worls makes a bit more sense. I think we would know by now if there was one though. Maybe there will be a second-in-command to the subspace minister that can actually fight.

On another note, I think Mii should be brawl's "mokujin" or 'charade'. Mii's appearance should change based on who's moves it is copying.
I'm not sure we'd necessarily know about the world traveler. :D It would be a fantastic secret to let loose at some point later.

And having a character who can copy anyone's moveset would be pretty awesome, but I can't see it being a Mii. No way they could emulate Yoshi, Kirby, Meta Knight, Pikachu, any of the Pokemon, King Dedede...

dfyb

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
And having a character who can copy anyone's moveset would be pretty awesome, but I can't see it being a Mii. No way they could emulate Yoshi, Kirby, Meta Knight, Pikachu, any of the Pokemon, King Dedede...
guilty gear isuka has a character like this. it's a robotic character, so it can emulate almost any other character's moves since it can have extra limbs or whatever pop out. you could even earn moves and build a custom character with robo-ki mk-II.

415px-Robokymk2.jpg

something like that would indeed be awesome for smash (though totally broken for competitive play, but it would be neat to have Robo-Ky MK-II only battles to see who could build the best)

edit: nintendo could have a "custom robo" character fill this job

GameCube_Custom_Robo.jpg

Jiggy

Just wait until Brawl. It's only a few weeks out now and actually has a worthwhile single-player component, unlike Melee. >_>

Holy Order Sol said:
...Ditto ?
Hmm. Kind of, but that would just copy the character's whole shape and look too. I just want the moveset. >_>

phalestine

aka iby.h
Jiggy37 said:
Just wait until Brawl. It's only a few weeks out now and actually has a worthwhile single-player component, unlike Melee. >_>

lets hope it stays that way, but something tells me if Nintendo were to delay it, youd think theyd mention something since its approx. 3 weeks away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom