• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Zornica

Banned
which is the best wiki to use atm?

the one I used up until now seems to be missing a few of the new armors... also some event gear stuff

edit: anyone up for a few hunts tonight? about the same time as yesterday

putermcgee

I finally beat the village Rajang quest! What a pain in the ass.

Also, I hit HR90 today, and made the camo jacket from the new DLC. Do people here play the DLC quests? I feel like a lot of it is just for fun because the items you can make are usually not that great compared to what's already available.

Zornica

Banned
I finally beat the village Rajang quest! What a pain in the ass.

Also, I hit HR90 today, and made the camo jacket from the new DLC. Do people here play the DLC quests? I feel like a lot of it is just for fun because the items you can make are usually not that great compared to what's already available.

I'd love to farm some of them... but it's really hard to get going with more than 2 people lately ...

chadi

I wish we could go back to farming 24/7 like we used to :7

fucking pokemon zelda bravely default tripple punch.

Pokemon Ace Attorney DLC Daigasso Project Mirai for me. Haven't even gotten Zelda yet. Which reminds me... can't wait to get that Link set (although I heard it sucks)! Today's the release right?

Zornica

Banned
Pokemon Ace Attorney DLC Daigasso Project Mirai for me. Haven't even gotten Zelda yet. Which reminds me... can't wait to get that Link set (although I heard it sucks)! Today's the release right?

is it seven eleven exclusive or is it a normal event quest?

I woudn't mind if we could farm a few event quests this week or next weekend...

chadi

is it seven eleven exclusive or is it a normal event quest?

I woudn't mind if we could farm a few event quests this week or next weekend...

Was told it's another timed exclusive just like the Mario ones.

Btw, for the armor set (total of 5 tickets), it's an arena quest with Zinogre, Kirin and Rajang. Akantor for the weapons (IIRC 3 tickets each).

gcOhEgn.jpg

putermcgee

I'd love to farm some of them... but it's really hard to get going with more than 2 people lately ...
I feel like even with two people, they're usually doable. Especially since you have cats with you. I recommend having your regulars all the same type (mine are all the heart symbol, so my cat boosts my HP often) for better assistance. If you must have more than two people, I agree that it's tough to get more people for even quests. If you can have a friend be one of them, then you don't have to worry about them getting bored while they wait for another person to show up.

Was told it's another timed exclusive just like the Mario ones.

Btw, for the armor set (total of 5 tickets), it's an arena quest with Zinogre, Kirin and Rajang. Akantor for the weapons (IIRC 3 tickets each).
Just in case it's not clear, the 7-11 quests are available to download for a limited time, but I think you can hold onto them as long as you have the game.

And thanks for reminding me about the Zelda quest! I could have sworn it was going to run from the 10th or 12th, but the site says from the 2nd... Now I know where to make a pit stop on my way home from work.

BafBTvgCUAIAJh5.jpg

Well that didn't take long. I was actually worried about the quest, but all three monsters come out one at a time.

Zornica

Banned
I wouldn't mind farming that to be honest...
I obviously can't download the quest, the next 7eleven is like 10k km from here.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Afternoon gents,

How're we all doing? Finally been putting some hours in. Went from Jaggi armour and a low level charge axe to Rathian plate and the water charge axe that costs 30k in the space of a couple of days of sporadic play.

I'm vaguely useful in a party now.

I'll send out some adds today, my FC is on the google doc.

Anyone up for hunting tonight? I'm only HR3 for the mo...

Zornica

Banned
we have a google doc for friendcodes? oO
must've missed that.
not sure if I have enough time today, but we can play tomorow or during the weekend.

Zornica

Banned
so with miiverse out... anyone tried to take some screenshots with mh4? or is it blocked like mh3? :7
(can't test it atm...)

Zornica

Banned
How do you take screen shots on the 3ds?

press the home button, start miiverse, post ;)
but I read it doesn't work with monster hunter 4 yet. at least I think it doesn't, there is no mh4 community atm.

I'd love to take a screenshot of that amazing teo explosion :7

speaking of...

putermcgee

They probably don't want people being useless during online play, having their character just stand there while the player futzes with the slow 3DS UI.

Zornica

Banned
They probably don't want people being useless during online play, having their character just stand there while the player futzes with the slow 3DS UI.
they can simply deactivate the home button during online play. I think that's already the case... that would prevent you from posting screenshots and interrupting the game.
No reason not to allow screenshots for singleplayer mode... there just aren't enough nice screenshots for this game out there and despite what everyone says, I think it's a very nice looking game for the most part, sometimes it's beyond just good looking. (like the goa or the teo fight... them particles X_x)

Doombear

This is probably pointless to ask by now, how friendly is this to non Japanese speakers in terms of reading and playing the game?

With zero prior history with the franchise? It can be difficult at first and will very likely require that you second screen a laptop or tablet with some information. There are always wiki's out there to lead you.

With experience with past games, you will still need to rely on Wikis and guides but mainly for more specific things like upgrade materials, rank requirements, skill translations, etc.

It will take a bit of work, but if you enjoy the series it is well worth it. If you are new to the series, may make more sense to jump in to MH3U if you have the option to.

This was my experience with MHP3rd. I had already played previous titles so knew exactly how things would be other than new skills, new armor/weapon paths etc. Story just isn't there, so you are missing nothing there.

With zero prior history with the franchise? It can be difficult at first and will very likely require that you second screen a laptop or tablet with some information. There are always wiki's out there to lead you.

With experience with past games, you will still need to rely on Wikis and guides but mainly for more specific things like upgrade materials, rank requirements, skill translations, etc.

It will take a bit of work, but if you enjoy the series it is well worth it. If you are new to the series, may make more sense to jump in to MH3U if you have the option to.

This was my experience with MHP3rd. I had already played previous titles so knew exactly how things would be other than new skills, new armor/weapon paths etc. Story just isn't there, so you are missing nothing there.

i only have very little experience w/ Tri on the Wii. I am much more likely to play it on a portable though, so I will probably just grab it on the DS and play online w/ a copy of the Wii U version down the line. Appreciate the respsonse!

xSL4INx

I've been playing quite a bit recently doing hr quests and whatnot, but I've hit a wall in the village quests. After I have cleared all 1 and 2 start quests, no new ones open up. How doi get the 3 start quests to unlock for me?

Zornica

Banned
I've been playing quite a bit recently doing hr quests and whatnot, but I've hit a wall in the village quests. After I have cleared all 1 and 2 start quests, no new ones open up. How doi get the 3 start quests to unlock for me?

If I remember correctly, you have to do an expedition mode quest.
while in a village, go to your world map on the touch screen and tap the blue icon.
it will take you to the jungle where you are asked to get to the end.

Zornica

Banned
yeah, read about that. also any got the mh4 puzzle yet? I am still waiting :/

btw: I'd really like to play again with you, gotta waste my free time somehow...

Anura

yeah, read about that. also any got the mh4 puzzle yet? I am still waiting :/

btw: I'd really like to play again with you, gotta waste my free time somehow...
I went back to MH3U because it's so hard to play with you guys... If you want to drum up a time I will see if I can make it

Zornica

Banned
I couldn't go back to mh3gu... not after playing 4 :7

I am free daily from 8pm until 6 am (utc/gmt +1)until Jan 6th, so there should be plenty of time to hunt.

Anura

I couldn't go back to mh3gu... not after playing 4 :7

I am free daily from 8pm until 6 am (utc/gmt +1)until Jan 6th, so there should be plenty of time to hunt.
Alright then! I can't do anything today as my brother is returning home for the holidays but we should be able to find some time we can hunt either tomorrow or in the days following

depward

Does anyone have any handy links (preferably in video form) to explain new gameplay mechanics and overview vids for MH4? Doing some digging and unfortunately not finding much while looking through the swath of "Let's Play" video series' of it on YouTube.

putermcgee

There's a new quest from One Piece, and it gets you parts to make a new bug staff and bow. It's a giant ウルクスす, and it's more of a push-over than normal. You don't even need to bring any items or eat before going on the quest, and you can probably clear it in under a couple of minutes.

And speaking of event quests, there was a silver Rathalos quest, and a gold Rathian one recently, but I don't think they gave up any special weapon/armor parts. Does anyone know what the point of having them is if they're always available in the regular guild quest lists?

Anura

There's a new quest from One Piece, and it gets you parts to make a new bug staff and bow. It's a giant ウルクスす, and it's more of a push-over than normal. You don't even need to bring any items or eat before going on the quest, and you can probably clear it in under a couple of minutes.

And speaking of event quests, there was a silver Rathalos quest, and a gold Rathian one recently, but I don't think they gave up any special weapon/armor parts. Does anyone know what the point of having them is if they're always available in the regular guild quest lists?
They might be like the MHFU/P3rd one where they did damage but had a higher ruby drop rate
Does anyone have any handy links (preferably in video form) to explain new gameplay mechanics and overview vids for MH4? Doing some digging and unfortunately not finding much while looking through the swath of "Let's Play" video series' of it on YouTube.

Not sure if you will see "lets plays" anytime soon. MH is a niche series in the west and the 3DS has no easy direct capture method lowering the odds of a LPer picking it up even more

Zornica

Banned

there is vuze and akantor griller
https://www.youtube.com/user/MHVuze
Can't find the latter atm...

Both are in german, like most of the "western" mohun community. so if you don't understand german, you're out of luck

What's the dealio with Rajang? At first he seemed terrifying but it only took a couple fights to realize he's as easy as Devliljho. Just circle round to his butt and roll/superman dive away =o

P.S. as someone with over 250 hours in 3 and now around 75 in 4, sometimes I still have no idea what I'm doing in this game.

Anura

What's the dealio with Rajang? At first he seemed terrifying but it only took a couple fights to realize he's as easy as Devliljho. Just circle round to his butt and roll/superman dive away =o

P.S. as someone with over 250 hours in 3 and now around 75 in 4, sometimes I still have no idea what I'm doing in this game.
The thing with Jang is even though you can do that most of his weapons require horns you only get from breaking the golden ones twice! They take a ton of hits to break and being by his head is just stupidly risky

Also don't worry you seem to be doing fine lol

Mozz-eyes

Banned
What's up gentlemen,

Now please forgive my ignorance. The streetpass cat quests. I don't really grasp what to do with them or how to.

Can someone enlighten me?

depward

Anyone want to hunt with me? Seems like release happened and everyone already got their fill :/

HR2, climbing up the ranks.

depward

Cool! My friend code: 4356-1023-4637

Might be up for hunting tonight... just an FYI - I am on Pacific time.

I'll likely post to this thread if / when I am hunting. Woo!

Anura

Cool! My friend code: 4356-1023-4637

Might be up for hunting tonight... just an FYI - I am on Pacific time.

I'll likely post to this thread if / when I am hunting. Woo!
Alright I will keep an eye out for the post. I will edit this post with my FC as soon as I get the chance

Edit: my FC should still be in the OP

Top Bottom