• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreIII

ShockingAlberto said:
I don't think it has a gender.

Pikachu is certainly male since we have the Yellow -> GSC thing to go by, but Jigglypuff is just sort of an "it".

Well, I would think that the fact it chooses to be adorn in flowers and big blue bow ribbons as alternate wear would do more to point to the overall notion of how Smash Jiggs (based at least SOME WHAT on her anime counterpart) was supposed to be inferred as a female.

I mean, unless you really want me to bring up such semantics relating to Birdo again...don't think I won't do it! :lol

TreIII said:
Well, I would think that the fact it chooses to be adorn in flowers and big blue bow ribbons as alternate wear would do more to point to the overall notion of how Smash Jiggs (based at least SOME WHAT on her anime counterpart) was supposed to be inferred as a female.

I mean, unless you really want me to bring up such semantics relating to Birdo again...don't think I won't do it! :lol
Pichu wears goggles and a scarf, that does not make him an aviator.

ShockingAlberto said:
If he could fly, he would be a lot less shitty.

Now I kind of want a Pichu Assist Trophy where he flies across the screen in a plane like Snoopy.

Someone in this thread once said if you look at one of the SSE enemies and blur your eyes it looks like Snoopy riding his doghouse.

TreIII

ShockingAlberto said:
Pichu wears goggles and a scarf, that does not make him an aviator.

But you also can't deny that Pikachu and Pichu's costume choices have a much more "masculine" air to them, eh?

I mean, if they were adorn in red roses, blue ribbons and/or other feminine apparel, I would have called 'em into question. But, at least for now, only Puff/Purin is the one PKMN in Smash to sport overtly feminine wear.

Jiggy

DavidDayton said:
You know what would be nice?

Alternate unlockable outfits/styles for each character...

Imagine if every fighter had their default version, an alternate costume version, and a cel shaded or "paper" version.
Sometimes I wonder whether it would have been viable to put a bunch of alternate outfits in the game if they had simply not bothered with, say, fify or so of the trophies that'll end up getting in. I don't know much about graphics development, so it's an open question.

Gekkonidae said:
Um . . . Jiggs doesn't need a boost. She was powerful enough in Melee, thank you very much.
No such thing as powerful enough. :D Especially if everyone else improved as well.

ShockingAlberto said:
Why do people keep referring to Jigglypuff as female
75% chance of being female. And for Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard there's an 87.5% chance of being male. Pikachu is identifiably male because he has the male tail design from D/P.

But what I want to know is why people keep referring to Mewtwo as male when it has no gender.

Jiggy37 said:
75% chance of being female. And for Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard there's an 87.5% chance of being male. Pikachu is identifiably male because he has the male tail design from D/P.

But what I want to know is why people keep referring to Mewtwo as male when it has no gender.

Male voice.

Jiggy

A Link to the Snitch said:
Male voice.
Okay, that explains everyone else's reasoning.

My own reasoning: Mewtwo doesn't speak; it just has evil laughter. Now, one could argue that it's deep-sounding laughter, but the "voice" of a female lion would sound pretty deep by human standards--and lions are a decent reference point since we're talking about a Pokemon that's supposed to be some genetically mutated cat. So Mewtwo's gender is indeterminate.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:

Probably due to the way Tsuu's been portrayed in the media. Both the anime and manga have had hints to show that Tsuu probably has more of a "masculine inclination" in its mental programming, even if it may not be truly male himself.

My own reasoning: Mewtwo doesn't speak; it just has evil laughter. Now, one could argue that it's deep-sounding laughter, but the "voice" of a female lion would sound pretty deep by human standards--and lions are a decent reference point since we're talking about a Pokemon that's supposed to be some genetically mutated cat. So Mewtwo's gender is indeterminate.

He actually DOES speak in the JP version. Set your game to Japanese in Melee to hear him (as well as Fox and Falco) speak some different quotes when they win.

I'm rusty, but I do remember Tsuu saying things like...

"What was the reason for my creation...?"

...course, the bad thing is, I think he used either "Watashi" or "Ware", which are both just rather "non-gender" ways of referring to one's self. :lol

Jiggy

I almost feel like starting a debate about whether there are such things as masculine and feminine behavior just for the sake of entertainment, but I won't.

<_<

TreIII said:
...course, the bad thing is, I think he used either "Watashi" or "Ware", which are both just rather "non-gender" ways of referring to one's self. :lol
I'm selectively quoting you to serve my own purposes.

Jiggy37 said:
Okay, that explains everyone else's reasoning.

The anime uses a male voice and VA, in both the Japanese and English versions.

Mewtwo is a male, fuck you guys :[

TreIII said:

He was just speaking arrogantly/formally.

Jiggy37 said:

Sorry Jiggy, but; worst reasoning ever!

Also, Mewtwo does speak in SSBM when you set the game to Japanese in a few of his victory screens.

Full sentances and shit, it's pretty cool.

EDIT: Most of this was already brought up.

Also, Sheik opened the door for all this gender bullshit!

Jiggy

Oh hey it's Angelo, Angelo I don't know if you saw my stats a couple pages back but I just have to ask do you play anything except Smash Bros., because it was found out that literally over 95% of your posts on GAF are in this thread, and I think this means perhaps you spend at least 95% of your time playing Smash Bros. when you are playing video games.

SuperAngelo64 said:
Sorry Jiggy, but; worst reasoning ever!
But what about the time I argued that the playable female trainer from Fire Red/Leaf Green was more recognizable than Wario? :(

Jiggy37 said:
Oh hey it's Angelo, Angelo I don't know if you saw my stats a couple pages back but I just have to ask do you play anything except Smash Bros., because it was found out that literally over 95% of your posts on GAF are in this thread, and I think this means perhaps you spend at least 95% of your time playing Smash Bros. when you are playing video games.

<lifestory>

I play alot've games. Surprisingly, I don't play Melee hardly as much as I used to (last year I would play it about 2 hours a day) or as much as one would suspect based on my posts.

Truth is, I am just too burned out when it comes to gaming forums to give a shit or discuss gaming anymore. I was a big regular over at the-magicbox.com forums and was the admin of their irc channel. I'm just too opinionated to sit there and listen to people bitch about games.

I enjoy the Smash thread here because it focuses on one game that everyone here universally likes, that's nice.

Rescently, games I've beaten and loved were Mario Galaxy, Rockman ZX, Trauma Center Wii, Monkey Ball Wii, Twilight Princess, and tons of other shit that I can't think of now.

Lately I've been into Phantasy Star Universe and it takes up alot of my gaming time.

</lifestory>

Figures though that you'd know what my posting stats are.

As of now about 60% of my gaming time goes to Phantasy Star Universe. There, have more stats!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SuperAngelo64 said:
<lifestory>

I play alot games. Surprisingly, I don't play Melee hardly as much as I used to (last year I would play it about 2 hours a day) or as much as one would suspect based on my posts.

Truth is, I am just too burned out when it comes to gaming forums to give a shit or discuss gaming anymore. I was a big regular over at the-magicbox.com forums and was the admin of their irc channel. I'm just too opinionated to sit there and listen to people bitch about games.

I enjoy the Smash thread here because it focuses on one game that everyone here universally likes, that's nice.

Rescently, games I've beaten and loved were Mario Galaxy, Rockman ZX, Trauma Center Wii, Monkey Ball Wii, Twilight Princess, and tons of other shit that I can't think of now.

Lately I've been into Phantasy Star Universe and it takes up alot of my gaming time.

</lifestory>
*tear*
Figures though that you'd know what my posting stats are.

As of now about 60% of my gaming time goes to Phantasy Star Universe. There, have more stats!
After he collects all our data he'll kill us, then destroy the Earth.

Jiggy

I compile statistics in order that I might one day realize my dream of creating androids and programming them with lifelike human behavior. Just wait until 2042, when my bots will be running around DoubleNeoNeoGAF discussing hardware sales and Smash Bros. 7.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Jiggy37 said:
I compile statistics in order that I might one day realize my dream of creating androids and programming them with lifelike human behavior. Just wait until 2042, when my bots will be running around DoubleNeoNeoGAF discussing hardware sales and Smash Bros. 7.
How altruistic.

I'M ON TO YOU

Jiggy37 said:

Sounds...

...numbery..

TreIII

ShockingAlberto said:
I don't think it's that legendary Pokemon have no gender, but rather they don't have a gender that people can define.

Which is just a nice way of stating what's pretty much the REAL reason why legendaries don't have genders...so that people just couldn't whip up an army of Mews, Mewtwos, Celebis and etc., for the sake of their own amusement, or to farm 'em out for the EV stat-crazy people out there. :lol

Jiggy

TreIII said:
Which is just a nice way of stating what's pretty much the REAL reason why legendaries don't have genders...so that people just couldn't whip up an army of Mews, Mewtwos, Celebis and etc., for the sake of their own amusement, or to farm 'em out for the EV stat-crazy people out there. :lol
Latias, Latios, and Heatran have genders but still can't breed.
...And neither can Nidorina and Nidoqueen. Why, not even I know.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:

The Fem-Nidos going into some sort of "menopause" will be a mystery of the Poke series. :lol

But again, the legendaries being unable to breed is just a game mechanic to make it so people can't whip up armies of legendaries. That's pretty much it, whether they have official genders or not.

Meloche

Jiggy37 said:
Alternatively, Bronzor/Bronzong (among others) have no gender but can breed. So being genderless or having gender seems to have no effect on whether or not a Pokemon can breed. Analyzing things any further is about as useful as debating the Mario timeline though, so I'll leave it at that.

I was going to predict a game mode for tonight and then I remembered that there won't be any updates until Monday. So I guess I'll just hope for something awesome to start off our (second) second last week of updates.

Guled

tapedeck said:
Im predicting a Brawl demo on WiiWare to appease the angered masses.:D
As much as I would love that, there is no way that is going to happen. At most there will be some videos like metroid prime

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
CreatureX3 said:
I'll predict some kind of video update as well. I'm hoping we get the opening cinema. :D
I'd forgotten about the opening movie. I'm changing my prediction for tonight to a double update: Opening Cinematic and Powering Up in SSE

I forgot about the opening cinema as well. I enjoy watching Melee's opening to this day, so I'm definitely excited to see that. I think I'd rather see it the first time I boot the game up though, buuut no doubt it'll be all over the internet fairly soon.

Jiggy

Meloche said:
Analyzing things any further is about as useful as debating the Mario timeline though, so I'll leave it at that.
Hmm, that's an interesting comment.

So let's debate the Mario timeline! I posit that Super Mario World takes place after Super Mario Bros. 3, with the Koopa Kids having readjusted their strategies after their previous defeat. Among the games that have Bowser Jr. instead of the Koopa Kids, which are Sunshine, Galaxy, and NSMB, I would suggest that NSMB happened first, Sunshine was a vacation following that and Bowser Jr. tried to disguise himself in order to stop himself from getting owned again, and Galaxy came after that, with Bowser Jr. realizing he couldn't take Mario on alone and never bothering to try.

Now--

Yeah, I guess I see what you're saying. :(

Jiggy37 said:
Hmm, that's an interesting comment.

So let's debate the Mario timeline! I posit that Super Mario World takes place after Super Mario Bros. 3, with the Koopa Kids having readjusted their strategies after their previous defeat. Among the games that have Bowser Jr. instead of the Koopa Kids, which are Sunshine, Galaxy, and NSMB, I would suggest that NSMB happened first, Sunshine was a vacation following that and Bowser Jr. tried to disguise himself in order to stop himself from getting owned again, and Galaxy came after that, with Bowser Jr. realizing he couldn't take Mario on alone and never bothering to try.

Now--

Yeah, I guess I see what you're saying. :(
I think there are multiple Marios and Peaches! :D

This would be a great way to end both a painful yet great update week
ViewtifulJoe21.jpg

CreatureX3 said:
I think there are multiple Marios and Peaches! :D

I believe in the two timelines theory. The question is where the timelines originally split.

Bowser Jr. is not only Bowser's child by Princess Peach, but also Bowser himself after he grows up and goes back in time, becoming his own father.

Gamer @ Heart said:
ViewtifulJoe21.jpg

It really should happen, but my gut says that it just won't.
I mean, even if he IS in Brawl, he's probably going to be a hidden character.

TreIII

Gamer @ Heart said:
ViewtifulJoe21.jpg

I'd love to see it happen...but I just don't know....I mean, unless it was a sign that Capcom was willing to give the VJ series another shot, after Clover nearly ran it into the ground, I couldn't foresee a feasible reason to bring him back.

Hell, Amaterasu would make more sense in a way, given how she's got a repeat performance due for the Wii soon...

ant1532

Banned
I'm calling Zelda's final smash since it seems they are trying to catch up with the news released else where(They updated all the movesets once those were shown through Famitsu, same with Sheik, and then they showed Olimar's FS after it was shown in the commercial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom