• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grudy

you're only supposed to shoot in the wrassle thread!

Speaking of OP, I wonder if the players Impel Down and Marineford will ever show up again. Like, is Crocodile just laying low, or will we finally find out what Iva meant about knowing Croc's secret whenever Dragon's army turns up. Where did Marco and co go, etc etc
I really hope Magellan shows up again. His fight with Luffy felt unfinished when they escaped.

That kind of thing is one of the things prevents me from even bothering to catch up with One Piece. I read far enough in to know kind of who Dragon and Vegapunk are, but it doesn't sound like the people who are caught up (e.g. 500 chapters ahead) have any more insight as to those characters.
The mystery is part of the charm for me. But I see what you mean, same reason some of friends waited for Lost to finish before they started watching it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I really hope Magellan shows up again. His fight with Luffy felt unfinished when they escaped.

The mystery is part of the charm for me. But I see what you mean, same reason some of friends waited for Lost to finish before they started watching it.

The problem is that its apparently not even a twinkle in the author's eye.

Yugioh Zexal 37
tumblr_mya9o3kjxH1qbxqfpo1_1280.png

Actually it feels like its ending soon since all the Numbers cards are in these two places and Yuma v Kaito, Shark v Yagumo are all the end type duels taking place. Intense Galaxy Eyes XYZ action though in addition to the golem hands cards. Definitely one of the best chapters in the manga thus far.

upandaway

The problem is that its apparently not even a twinkle in the author's eye.
With this and the Hayate posts earlier, I always feel like I'm not on the same page with you guys about these things. For me there's functionally no difference between the main plot and any side plots (or lack of any plot), as long as they're all good and fun to read. I mean like, the only reason why I'd want the main story rather than anything else is because it's progressing towards the goal, and that fact is unrelated to how much I enjoy a given thing or not (since almost anything can be chosen as the goal, it's arbitrary).

I don't know if I put that well enough but oh well (I try to every once in a while when the subject comes up, hope I'm not being a broken record). Regardless, OP has so many loose ends that it's easy to find something from a long time ago that hasn't been solved, but in the same way, things from long ago get solved left and right all the time, too. So the problem if anything isn't that Oda takes a long time to get to things, it's that he has too many things to get to.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
With this and the Hayate posts earlier, I always feel like I'm not on the same page with you guys about these things. For me there's functionally no difference between the main plot and any side plots (or lack of any plot), as long as they're all good and fun to read. I mean like, the only reason why I'd want the main story rather than anything else is because it's progressing towards the goal, and that fact is unrelated to how much I enjoy a given thing or not (since almost anything can be chosen as the goal, it's arbitrary).

I don't know if I put that well enough but oh well (I try to every once in a while when the subject comes up, hope I'm not being a broken record). Regardless, OP has so many loose ends that it's easy to find something from a long time ago that hasn't been solved, but in the same way, things from long ago get solved left and right all the time, too. So the problem if anything isn't that Oda takes a long time to get to things, it's that he has too many things to get to.

Saying that the journey is what matters is how people justify the ending of Lost.

upandaway

Saying that the journey is what matters is how people justify the ending of Lost.
That's not really what I mean though, the "journey" in that saying can be anything including the main thing and the goal/ending. I mean like, there's no logical reason to prefer one thing in the manga over another just on the basis that one progresses the main plot

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
KNIM

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO N ONO NO NO NO N ON ON ONSONOSNDONFdfs
WHY:?!!!!!!!! WHAT IS THIS?! WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS.

Serious Post: Well... This is going to be another 50 fucking chapters, right?

Angry Grimace

That's not really what I mean though, the "journey" in that saying can be anything including the main thing and the goal/ending. I mean like, there's no logical reason to prefer one thing in the manga over another just on the basis that one progresses the main plot

I don't understand how its not logical to want the main plot to go somewhere in 15 years time.

I guess I kind of don't follow you. :shrug:

KNIM

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO N ONO NO NO NO N ON ON ONSONOSNDONFdfs
WHY:?!!!!!!!! WHAT IS THIS?! WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS.

Serious Post: Well... This is going to be another 50 fucking chapters, right?

The side chapters aren't alternate-universe: Haruto is going to seek them out and deflower them all.

Grudy

I wouldn't say it justifies the ending. Regardless of how bad the ending was, when I think of Lost I remember waiting for every single new episode so I can read the crazy mysteries and theories that people came up with. It was an awesome show even if the ending was unsatisfying to say the least. (sorry for going off topic here)

But back to OP, for the same reason it doesn't matter to me if Dragon shows up in this week's chapter or 5 years from now, I will still enjoy the mystery behind all of it (the treasure, the forgotten century, the weapons...etc). And unlike Lost I am sure Oda will explain the major mysteries in the show by the end because it really seems like they all tie together, so it wouldn't work otherwise. Not sure if I'm explaining it right so sorry if its confusing :p

Angry Grimace

I wouldn't say it justifies the ending. Regardless of how bad the ending was, when I think of Lost I remember waiting for every single new episode so I can read the crazy mysteries and theories that people came up with. It was an awesome show even if the ending was unsatisfying to say the least. (sorry for going off topic here)

But back to OP, for the same reason it doesn't matter to me if Dragon shows up in this week's chapter or 5 years from now, I will still enjoy the mystery behind all of it (the treasure, the forgotten century, the weapons...etc). And unlike Lost I am sure Oda will explain the major mysteries in the show by the end because it really seems like they all tie together, so it wouldn't work otherwise. Not sure if I'm explaining it right so sorry if its confusing :p

Whether he will or not, I can't envision a scenario where I'd want to wait 15 years for it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think the best part of the KNIM chapter was the fact that Yuzuki fucking said yes and a few pages before they were basically ready to fuck. What the fuck is wrong with Seo.

kasane

I think the best part of the KNIM chapter was the fact that Yuzuki fucking said yes and a few pages before they were basically ready to fuck. What the fuck is wrong with Seo.

He has a break up fetish. Watch them magically get back together this time Yuzuki is the one chasing Haruto

Edit: I don't even know. I'm still thinking about this shitty fucking chapter god.

Angry Grimace

Because there's nothing going on if Haruto's not pining for Yuzuki constantly, and there's nothing to pine about when they fuck like rabbits and are content all the time but for stupid misunderstandings.

Maybe Seo's going for a troll ending where Haruto dies alone as a bitter alcoholic or something.

Aizo

Banned
I interrupt this ragefest to bring you a new recommendation, completely relevant to many of your interests. Unless many of you had talked about this series before I came to MangaGAF--which is quite possible--this series may have slipped past your radar. It's actually quite funny. I just started reading it due to the recommendation of many of my friends just recently. It reminds me of Sexy Commando Gaiden a little bit. You may have heard of it in the past year due to its film adaptation, but the manga seems to be much better. Ladies (?) and gentlemen, I bring you...

Hentai Kamen

It's really quite amusing. And it's not smut, surprisingly. Apart from the main character donning panties on his face to grow stronger, there's nothing that smutty. I mean, at least not in a fanservice kind of way. It's all for the comedy. It has many jokes apart from those relating to the Hentai Kamen fights, too.
I just wanted to promote interest to see if anyone will read it while I'm reading it. I'll continue on, and I'll post volume impressions to let you all know if it's truly worth reading. I have a hunch that it is, in fact, worth it currently.

upandaway

Just for clarification, there's no Jump this week correct?
This will probably get asked a lot more in the next few weeks but the whole thing is:
There's supposed to be nothing this week, but next week's issue is the christmas issue that is usually leaked in the weekend before. So we'll probably get next week's issue this weekend, then nothing next week, then nothing the week after that.

Aizo

Banned
Kyuukyoku!! Hentai Kamen - Vol. 1
I really have to stop myself from posting too many pictures, but there are so many great shots. When Hentai Kamen was already waiting in the car--oh, man. This is a pretty funny manga so far.

Aizo

Banned
Did you watch the live action hentai kamen movie?

I considered it, but I decided against it. My friends said the manga is better, and that the film took too many liberties with the plot to make it crazy-ridiculous. Maybe one day. But honestly, I thought the manga and film looked too lewd for me. It's not until last night that I realized how funny it actually is.

Lost was premised around solving the mysteries, and the promise that the answers were just around the corner. That's why the ending was so infuriating. One Piece is something entirely different. It's all about building up the scale of the world, which is why it's so long and epic in scope. Taking years to build up certain elements before finally revealing them is just a means to further that goal. It's understandable if that isn't your sort of thing, but I don't see what's so hard to understand about the appeal of this approach.

Lain

I think it's for the best that I stopped reading back when he left Akira and got back with the ex.

Dragons Rioting 14

Good chapter. I would have liked a different ending to the fight personally, but I guess this adds some spice to the mix as well as the start of a bigger goal for Rintarou.

-

Now, for something not related to manga but related to manga GAF, how many of you are on Steam? I'd love to stalk some of you on there, so feel free to add me if you want.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Kingdom: All of it

Boy, that was fun.

So how much of this is legit historical? I'm assuming at the very least the battles themselves are factual, the general events and plot, but how about the characters? Was the Hi Shin unit a real thing? Are all of the generals genuine? Was Kyoukai a person? She seems kinda far fetched. There's clearly plenty of imagined hot shounen blood with Shin and his goal of becoming the Pirate King / Hokage, but just how much of it is made up? HOW MUCH??!?!

There's kind of a fine line for what I actually want to know here. Luckily I know absolutely nothing about the unification of China, so now I just have to remain completely ignorant of history over the next few years. When I started following various manga I enjoyed getting the real source material, not following an anime adaptation where I could have everything spoiled for me by fact that the manga was already a thing. Now with a manga adapting reality, I'm back in the same situation!

So what's the release schedule for this like? Seems like all the scans are of tankoban releases, and it looks like three or four chapters typically drop at the same time. Often within mere days of each other! Are the translations just behind and trying to catch up? Is this actually running in a magazine? The wikipedia article for the manga is pretty useless.

neoanarch

Vinland Saga

Just catching up on the last 25 or so chapters. That reunion between Thorfinn and Leif was anticlimactic. I kept thinking I missed a chapter. It just kind of happens and you almost overlook that it happened.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";94644262]I always saw knim around the thread but never read the posts. Holy shit this is bad. Encouraging people to cling to someone that rejected them is classic culture poison.[/QUOTE]

If you think it's bad now

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";94644262]I always saw knim around the thread but never read the posts. Holy shit this is bad. Encouraging people to cling to someone that rejected them is classic culture poison.[/QUOTE]

knim > any reader. 10-0 matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom