• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Iwata: "Our approach to targeting children has been inadequate"

Iwata (probably) isn't saying that Nintendo hasn't been targeting children enough. He's saying that they haven't been targeting children smartly enough.

Tobor

I don't see how he stops the bleeding. The phones aren't going away. The kids have them, and they have cheap games they think are good enough.

How does Nintendo compete with that? Marketing isn't going to fix this. It's a fundamental shift in consumer habits.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Nintendo can close the performance gap easily enough, but what about every other respect in which they'd need to become competitive with Sony/MS?

They're far behind in online infrastructure. As far as Western first-party support, third-party relations, and core perception of their brand go, they might as well be starting from scratch.

Given that status quo, is it really possible for Nintendo to produce a console in a few years that will make PS4/XB1 owners say: "Wow! I'm ditching this for the Nintendo Corebox!"?

I think its quite clear that this ship has sailed for them, and it did so a long time ago. If they want to stay relevant, they need to be different, but then again, I think it would also be wise of them to have a little bit more content that is popular among children these days, and not only stuff that appeals to nostalgia. Which means ditching F-Zero, Metroid and possibly Zelda, for stuff like Minecraft, God of War, Cod and GTA-type games.

Assuming Iwata meant they need to target kids better, they should consider doing multimedia like animated tv shows or movies based on their lesser known IPs. Take series like Kid Icarus and turn them into household names, and follow them up with new games.

If Iwata meant that targeting kids is not enough, then they should be funding more exclusives like Bayonetta 2 and X that appeal to an older demographic. Those two games are not really enough, and that is pretty much all we know about that is coming. Perhaps it is time for Nintendo to collect Shinji Mikami's head!

Or why not both?

Kirlia

Banned
His approach to targeting everybody has been inadequate! Still, he's at least aware that the Wii U isn't in good shape, so baby steps.

Well yeah. They've so desperately tried to get back the family/casual audience, that their console ended up without any kind of identity and no system selling attributes for any big group at all. If kids are in fact interested in Nintendo titles, they will get them on a 3DS with the same kind of experiences as on WiiU but even more alongside that and a more affordable price for the parents. And especially the current Mario games are really hard to distinguish anyway, even more so for non-gamers - so why get the more expensive one? On the other hand, the casual audience consists of late adopters, they ain't gonna pay 300 bucks for a new pack of Wii Fit. Despite popular belief, the original Wii started really strong not only because of ,,soccer moms'' and kiddies, but dedicated gamers also, who were offered a varied launch year lineup including a highly anticipated Zelda title right at the beginning. (Not to mention, the Wiimote was intriguing to everyone, the gamepad one the other hand doesn't even interest Nintendo's developers) Now, while more dedicated gamers would rather pay the current WiiU price than kids/families, Nintendo now has no software for these either. All these safe bets are the complete opposite even Nintendo fans expected from their first HD machine (which is why it's not even reaching GCN levels), there's no ambition, generational leap and/or core gameplay innovation like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime and so forth. And by the time it does have games like that, the insignificance of the console in the market can't be reverted anymore. They better remember this shit for the next console though.

Tenki

Here's the full article:

任天堂、社長報酬を5カ月間半減 3期連続赤字で

任天堂は29日、岩田聡社長の報酬を5カ月間半減させると発表した。ゲーム機の販売不振が響き、2014年3月期の営業損益が350億円の赤字になって3期連続赤字が見込まれるため。ほかの取締役9人の報酬も2~3割減らす。記者会見で岩田社長は「損失を重くみてけじめをつけた」と述べた。

任天堂は11年8月にも、通期業績が大きく落ち込む見通しになったため社長報酬を半減。昨年7月に3割減に戻したばかりだった。今回の報酬減は2~6月の予定だが、その後は6月の株主総会後に業績をみて決めるという。

岩田社長は「どのように任天堂を立て直すかしか考えていない」として辞任は否定。「子どもたちへのアプローチが十分ではなかった」と述べ、30日に東京で開く経営方針説明会で中長期の立て直し策を示すとしている。

いまの任天堂ゲーム機の苦戦は、年間の半分の商いがある年末商戦を終えた13年4~12月期決算でも明らかだ。新型据え置き型「Wii U」の4~12月の世界販売は241万台。発売時期の一昨年10~12月に売った306万台にも届かなかった。携帯型「ニンテンドー3DS」も、米国で廉価版「2DS」を投入して巻き返しを図ったが、全体では前年の1271万台に届かなかった。

4~12月期の売上高は4991億円で前年同期より8・1%減。全世界で前年を下回った。営業損益は15億円の赤字で、前年より赤字幅は縮小したが、円安によって利益が80億円膨らんだことに救われたに過ぎない。(神沢和敬)

Sandfox

I'll say No.

They should focus on the core market, because they are the loyal ones in this industry. Not only that, but the games for the hardcore gamers also appeal to kid. Xbox and Playststion don't even try when compared to Nintendo in the topic of trying to win over the children, yet they're the ones that get the kid's attention and asked for as holiday gifts. Xbox and Playstation are the "cool" consoles these days.

Going for the core audience these days is like going for everyone. Focus on the core, we all know the IPs Nintendo has that will appeal to children. Dish out some F-Zero, Metroid, 1080, Wave Race, and some new hardcore IPs.

Its not a one or the other type thing so they could improve their approach towards both audiences if they want.

I think "Our approach to targeting children has been inadequate" and "Further price cuts are unlikely to spark fresh demand for the console" are both at odds with each other.

Don't you need cheaper prices to entice parents purchasing these things for their children? I mean iPads are popular with children, but adults can justify the price because they actually can use those things as well.

Further price cuts are unlikely to significantly help the Wii U because the Wii U, as an individual product, is not a product that can generate that demand.

Nintendo's overall business approach towards children is lacking in some way, in both software and hardware.

Iwata has also said their business model of making 2-30,000 yen machines to play several thousand yen games is something that they may not be able to do anymore, indicating that he knows that price is an issue when creating a product.

Low priced hardware is just one aspect that Nintendo whiffed in targeting younger audiences.

Toparaman

Banned
Iwata's not wrong. My general impression of the Wii U's user-base is that it is mostly consisting of core Nintendo fans, not kids who are new to Nintendo.

Children have traditionally been a large part of the Nintendo-playing demographic, and it's always been a group that Nintendo has tried to cater to. Everyone here knows that. Yet the Wii U isn't getting in many kids' hands. Even the GameCube managed to do that.

And of course that would worry the hell out of Nintendo. Core fans can't sustain a corporation.

Urko

Neo Member
I'm sorry, but he's not.

He simply recognized the problem that smartphone have been eating away Nintendo's following between the younger generation. And Nintendo simply can't afford ignoring the problem.

I see a lot of people making the link "we should market more to children" with "we'll market less to adults."

That link is fallacious. In marketing terms you can definitely market more to one segment without reducing of a dime your marketing support to other segments.

Children are playing on other devices now but it's not because Nintendo has not been targeting them. How is he supposed to fix this if they won't be putting their games on mobile devices? Releasing their own phone or tablet would be suicide.

I don't see how he stops the bleeding. The phones aren't going away. The kids have them, and they have cheap games they think are good enough.

How does Nintendo compete with that? Marketing isn't going to fix this. It's a fundamental shift in consumer habits.

Develop games aimed at younger kids for iOS/Android, introducing them to the Nintendo brand on the devices they already play with and then as they grow older hope they will gravitate towards Nintendo hardware?

Japanese kids play a lot of mobile-social stuff. Western kids play Minecraft and Angry Birds and mobile stuff. These are kids growing up recognizing Mario more from merchandise than from his games, or more as "just another gaming character" than as the king of games. I think Nintendo has absolutely lost some of their younger market. Moreover, they learn to purchase games very young, and because the costs are so low they learn that they should be able to expect their parents to buy them the game when they want. The same kid asking for a $30 game would get rebuffed. This reinforces a culture where the kids grow up thinking of gaming differently.

Many people will respond with "LOL BUT NINTENDO MAKES TONS OF KIDS STUFF???? TARGET ME NOT THEM FOOLS", but I think this is a Big Deal from Nintendo's perspective.

Let's assume that "We haven't been targeting children enough" is exactly what Iwata meant, and his intent is to more heavily invest into the children's market.

I feel that the Wii U is a console that's already somewhat catered to children and families. It's deliberately underpowered to focus on lower power consumption, compactness, etc. It doesn't prioritize graphics or a hardcore audience that appreciates current-gen graphics.

The actual audience on the Wii U buys the colorful, kid-oriented games on Wii U in more volume than the gritty, hardcore-oriented games. Non-horrible-selling games on the platform include Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Disney Infinity, etc.

But direct ports like Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Batman: Arkham Origins, and Call of Duty: Ghosts don't seem to fare nearly as well on the platform.

With that said, I do believe there is more that Iwata can do to appease the children's market. I've had experience with 3-5 year olds attempting Super Mario Bros. U / New Super Luigi U, for example, and crying at how challenging the experience was for them.

Nintendo Land and Super Mario 3D World (at the beginning) are more accessible, but there still can be a level of difficulty to Nintendo's Wii U games that can make them a bit off-putting for very young children who are playing alone / with other very young children. The Wonderful 101, for example, can be quite difficult.

I think, if Nintendo wants to prioritize young children more, they would do well to design more titles that have that Pokemon aspect to them...very simple and immediately enticing to young children, but have a hidden depth that you can unlock over-time. The $300 + $60 premium pricing is also a big issue.

For example, Just Dance, Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Disney Infinity / Skylanders, etc. are all very simple, immediately appealing games to very young children.

If they don't want to do that (and there are real reasons for that), Nintendo could always approach the kid model through diversifying their revenue streams and greater licensing their IP.

Pokemon is well-managed in that regard, but Mario is somewhat under-utilized.

I've witnessed firsthand what you two are talking about. I see most young kids enthralled by Minecraft, Angry Birds, Clash of Clans, ect... and they play those games almost exclusively. So I can definitely see the perspective of not targeting kids enough. And like Aqua said the games created by Nintendo of today are like the games of Nintendo from 1990... meaning very challenging/complex for very young gamers. And in a world that has a nearly endless supply of easily approachable/playable games... there is simply no room for the old ways. I can see many tears from die-hard Nintendo fans over the next few years!

Kriken

I think when compared to mobile games like Angry Birds, Candy Crush and Minecraft, Nintendo does fall short. It's rather clear that there's no chance the Wii U will be anything outside of 3rd place in this generation of home consoles so they gotta make their profits somewhere. I just hope this mindset won't interrupt future projects like X/Zelda/Metroid and the likes.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Question: do you think that Nintendo is doing a good enough job being the premiere video game brand among children.

I don't think he's wrong actually. Young age tablet use is actually a potential problem to their core business as it exists today.

Sure, it's not the answer to gaining huge new audiences, but they do probably want to retain children strongly as it makes up a notably healthy part of their audience, especially with handhelds in the West.

I think the hardware problem of kids reaching for tablets instead isn't really one that can be solved by Nintendo beyond the dreaded going third party/dabbling in mobile.

Perhaps a price-cut on portable software would do the trick and get kids playing more games because their parents can afford more might be a thing, but the brands they have absolutely ARE the premium brands for kids. Pokemon alone really says it all. Maybe more free apps on 3DS? Like just releasing mini-games like the stuff from Mario 64 DS for free? Just... litter the thing with free bite sized entertainment?

I guess there was that e-book early learning thing mentioned at some point (or was it rumoured). So maybe thats part of the increasingly terrifying sounding new direction.

His approach to targeting everybody has been inadequate! Still, he's at least aware that the Wii U isn't in good shape, so baby steps.

This "games for everybody/all ages" is an obvious euphemism for their focus on younger audiences. Targeting the Teen/Mature audience was never Nintendo's priority, it's no secret why Nintendo disassembled NoA's production divisions and western second-parties like Rare, Left Field, DMA Design, Silicon Knights and Factor 5 who were actually targeting this audience.

Snakeyes

Nintendo can close the performance gap easily enough, but what about every other respect in which they'd need to become competitive with Sony/MS?

They're far behind in online infrastructure. As far as Western first-party support, third-party relations, and core perception of their brand go, they might as well be starting from scratch.

Given that status quo, is it really possible for Nintendo to produce a console in a few years that will make PS4/XB1 owners say: "Wow! I'm ditching this for the Nintendo Corebox!"?

It's a process, dude. You can't repair 20 years of branding and technological missteps overnight.

_Ryo_

I feel like I'm harping a bit too hard, but too many people trying to interpret it another way will derail the conversation. For those of you who have some understanding of Japanese, just take a look at how the quote is being discussed on Japanese discussion boards instead of checking it with your other non-native Japanese friends.

Here's a good one: http://jin115.com/archives/51999684.html

Jin's little ASCII art commentary:

>子どもたちへのアプローチ

子どもたちへのアプローチするのはいいんだけどさ
そのゲームを買うためのお金を持ってるのは大人だよね
あ、そっか大人はWii fitやるからいいのか
じゃ、よゆーで立て直せますね! よかった!
95bbe978.gif

Some comments:

Just some examples. Seriously, no one is interpreting it the opposite way, nor should they, because that would be odd.

This is good context. Looks like the Japanese don't know what Nintendo are doing either. haha

I think people are forgetting what is ACTUALLY the current thing for kids. Some are assuming its the CoD kids, and many people think its the mobile/tablet kids.

You know what it pretty much is?

1. Minecraft
2. Skylanders/Infinity
3. Mobile Games
4. 3DS

That exclusivity that Microsoft had on Minecraft was a HUGE deal and no one seems to be mentioning it. Minecraft is HUGE for kids right now. Minecraft alone moved a ton of Xbox 360s.

I feel what happened was that Kids who got the Wii "upgraded" to the Xbox 360. Millions and Millions of Xbox 360s were sold within the last two years. I feel like this is a big part of why the Wii U isn't selling. Of course there are other big problems, but this is one no one is addressing.

No parents or kids are going to get a Wii U if they JUST got a Xbox 360. (JUST being 1-2 years)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This is really sad, but the more I think about it, the more I feel the Nintendo we know and love just doesnt have any place in this world anymore. There is not much money to be made on consoles, and while there is money to be made on mobiles, you need to do a completely different buisness model and gameplay-style than what Nintendo currently does. Which means if they want to stay relevant, they would probably have to leave alot of the stuff that make them so loved in the first place. Quality, tight controls, no stupid dlc, etc. And that is not really a Nintendo I would care much for anymore, and Im sure that applies to most of their fans :(

Really? To me it seems these are the games that sell, and all anecdotal evidence I have is that children and young adults prefer to play shooters and other M-rated stuff like GTA and not Nintendo-games (who basically only gets played by old gamers that grew up with the nes/snes).
Frankly I find the constant parroting of this attitude on GAF insulting and ignorant. Why is it only m rated shooters and war games? Where was Nintendo when Trials got big? How about SSX? Nintendo had sports games on the SNES and N64, but they ceded the market to others. Nintendo sat on IPs like 1080, Excitebike and Bond which opened doors to markets that appeal to EVERYONE. Why no mention of that? It's getting tiring hearing about how Nintendo has to appeal to "core" gamers with the least common denominators of videogames like they're slobs who only know how to aim a reticule. The "core" market is more than just teens with bloodlust and gun fetishes.

QaaQer

Today's children love Angry Birds and Skylanders and Minecraft way more than they do Nintendo, which is a problem for Nintendo's IP. A lot of Nintendo's games, while being child friendly and popular with children who try them, are edging more towards being aimed at young adults who played Nintendo games as children, not children themselves.

So yeah, Nintendo probably should target children more, regardless if that means that people won't necessarily get to play Dark Souls Zelda or Mature Retro Game or whatever they think will solve Nintendo's problems.

There games would have to be on the platforms children will be using in the future. Otherwise they are selling to people with disposable income, YA and Adults.

Ridley327

Iwata (probably) isn't saying that Nintendo hasn't been targeting children enough. He's saying that they haven't been targeting children smartly enough.

Yeah. Consider how well Rovio has been able to spin Angry Birds off in such a short amount of time. Those little bastards are plastered everywhere these days, making it difficult for anyone to ignore them. Nintendo does already do this with Pokemon, but that's the only franchise that sees such aggressive branding. They've got a whole generation, perhaps two, that have never grown up with Mario in the same way that we did, and I think that's something that they're seriously examining to see what they need to do to rectify that. It's a situation that calls for trying to reintroduce that character in a different manner than they have been in the past, and that's sure to go beyond just the games themselves.

Replicant

I'm not sure doubling-down on "for children" contents is the direction they should be taking. But then again Nintendo is really out of touch with reality these days.

mario_O

But the problem with not attracting children is Nintendo's hardware, not the games. The games are fantastic for children but kids these days want tablets/smartphones. Also, there's a lack of software for the adult, more hardcore Nintendo fan.

Snakeyes

This is really sad, but the more I think about it, the more I feel the Nintendo we know and love just doesnt have any place in this world anymore. There is not much money to be made on consoles, and while there is money to be made on mobiles, you need to do a completely different buisness model and gameplay-style than what Nintendo currently does. Which means if they want to stay relevant, they would probably have to leave alot of the stuff that make them so loved in the first place. Quality, tight controls, no stupid dlc, etc. And that is not really a Nintendo I would care much for anymore, and Im sure that applies to most of their fans :(

Wow, talk about jumping the shark.

royalan

95bbe978.gif

^This dog-thing really needs to become the global mascot for Nintendo's misteps. It's cracking me up for some reason.

Also, yes, can we get some translations?

Toparaman

Banned

This is not necessarily true. I'm sure a lot of kids want a Wii U, but the parents can't justify the price of the console and the games. I mean, we're talking a huge gap in pricing here between smartphone gaming and Wii U gaming. Add in a shitty economy, and you get the full picture.

If this truly wasn't translated wrong, or taken out of context, it's very sad. As a 31 year old man, I love playing Nintendo games for the throwback, nostalgic feeling they give me, but really, Nintendo caters most of it's games to an all-ages group. I would love to have the gritty, darker Nintendo back. You know, the Nintendo that partnered with Capcom for REmake, Konami for Twin Snakes, Silicon Knights with Eternal Darkness, and allowed Retro to create three amazing Metroid Prime games. I don't need a roided out dude-bro FPS, but something with a complex story would be nice. I appreciate their work to get Bayonetta 2 and X up and going, but people like me just want more. Those titles are outweighed vastly by games like Mario 3D World, Yarn Yoshi, and Pikmin 3, games that either are or arguably will be fantastic, but are severely lacking in the story department.

MLH

Lol - seriously, more kid-oriented than their actual games? Are they going to develop games for kids 1-3 years old?

No, I think they mean that their image/ marketing towards children is inadequate - that is I think.
If the higher-ups at Nintendo think that their games are the problem, then they truly are lost.

I see it like this: There are two types of children (let's say in the 8 - 12 age range) - those that aren't gamers and those that are. Those that are gamers see Nintendo as uncool, their games are childish, they want to play the 'mature' games. While the non-gamers just play angry birds on their parents tablet, they don't feel the need to ask for a dedicated gaming hardware.
Nintendo needs to change their image and it all starts with marketing. Kids know Angry Birds because its everywhere - adverts, word-of-mouth, T-Shirts and other merchandise. People just need a reason to be interested - The Wii hit the nail on the head with its bizarre yet intriguing controller, it got people talking, wanting to try it.

Jarmel

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo is just going to wait this generation out or if they're just going to prematurely kill off the WiiU. I don't think anything is going to save it this gen and it's just going to be bleeding a lot of red.

Sandfox

Or they could just keep the things they do well and add on from there rather than replace everything.

Pociask

This thread really brought out how the premium priced hardware with cartoony kid/family software was trouble. It's like Nintendo made the Homer.

I have been saying for a while that video game software is overpriced for true mass market adoption. At $50, for a lot of people that made video games a only on birthday/Christmas kind of thing. And then Nintendo raised prices on its handheld and console side.

I know Iwata wants video games to be a premium thing and hates free/.99 cent games on iPhone. But there is a middle ground, and Nintendo(and the other big publishers) are so far above it that they are wide open to having their feet kicked out from under them by cheap mobile games. Like, Hollywood movies can coexist with YouTube. But if the average ticket price gets to twenty or thirty bucks.. A lot of people will make do with YouTube.

A lot of it comes down to the fact that 90% of soccer moms out at friggin target wandering into the electronics section don't know the difference between a Wii and a Wii U.

It's confusing as shit, and when they do realize it's a new system with new exclusive games that'll set em back 300+ all told, they balk when it seems like less of an upgrade and more of a money grab. It's the same damn Mario and Larzenzo game that I plunked down for my kid last year for the Wii thing. All its got is a "U" and funny looking controller? I'm looking at the back of a Wii and Wii U game's box now, and they look the same to me.. No way I'm buying this...

Nintendo couldn't have done a worse job marketing the product.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I made a long post a few weeks ago about this. Should I just avoid this thread, considering I agree with him? Having some involvement, I can attest they weren't initially targeting their core demo, which is young families, at launch, and their unfocused approach failed, and they took a year to relaunch a campaign aimed at families and it's been a mitigated success, if at all.

They should have focused on families from the start, given the hindsight.
They very much have you inroduce their brands to young gamers and be a catalyst to a higher-quality/pricing gaming ecosystem, which they've so far failed to dhere.

_Ryo_

I added some translations for those who don't read any Japanese.

But, yeah, responses seem to be pretty much the same as they are around here (except for the confusion about the meaning of the quote).

「子供へアプローチしたいならタブコンを捨てろ」 I disagree. Somehow I don't think the tablet is the factor that is not appealing to children. I think if it were an all in one device similar to 3DS but with WiiU capabilities children would be all over it.

Tiktaalik

I agree that they haven't been targeting children enough. As others have pointed out Minecraft has become massive and smart phones and tablets have become prevalent enough that they are a major gaming platform that children can access. With no multi-touch tablet of their own, and no software on existing tablets, Nintendo is on the outside and there's a real concern that "the next generation" of gamers is going to grow up without much if any exposure to Nintendo IPs.

Aside from the tween market I think there's a real opportunity for a brand new gaming market for even younger children that was never really accessible before, and which Nintendo has never strongly gone after.

Reposting my thoughts on "games for toddlers" from another thread:

Just stopped by the coffee shop and, for what feels like the millionth time, saw a little kid, the perfect age to start playing with Nintendo handhelds, watching a video on her Mom's smart phone while her Mom was busy talking with a friend.

This is one of the main opportunities where Nintendo can shift strategies and get back on track.

With simple touch interfaces, Nintendo has the opportunity to reach an even younger market than what they were able to reach with the GameBoy, and they need to regain that little kid market because otherwise there's the possibility that an entire generation of young people could grow up with little knowledge of Nintendo IPs and Mario could become pretty irrelevant.

If Nintendo creates a simple, bomb proof, multi touch device that's hooked into a platform that is as accessible and easy to develop for as Apple's I think Nintendo has an opportunity to wedge their way in there and create a child oriented tablet device that parents could give to their kids to keep instead of having to hand over their own smart phone.

It would be an excellent new market for Nintendo and a way to hook kids early on Nintendo's IPs

Gamerloid

It's the consequence for allowing themselves to fall behind in those categories. The Wii was very profitable, but ultimately a huge setback in terms of features. You would think the Wii U was being made with all this in mind, but now they're stuck with another system that's not up to date, but this one isn't selling well. If they're smart, they should be working on their online infrastructure now, but now just to catch up, but to surpass and add features. If it's too late for the Wii U, at least prepare yourselves for the next generation. For now, the Wii U should be used to build themselves in that direction with their old hardcore IPs like Metroid and their sport games. It's not going to be easy, especially with their sucky marketing team.

Keep the games that children would love coming, but don't make it the overall focus.

Its not a one or the other type thing so they could improve their approach towards both audiences if they want.
I agree. I was saying that going for the core is like another way of getting the attention of children. Worked for Microsoft, and they weren't even trying to do that (at least I don't think). Nintendo naturally have a lot of games for everyone, so the focus isn't needed.

Ninjimbo

It's tough for me to comment on anything Iwata says because I firmly believe he has more information on this stuff than I do.

He's probably right, I think. Based on the trends I've seen here, it seems like Nintendo's franchises occupy very little of children's mindshare. Sure Mario is still popular, but it's seeing more competition from Angry Birds, Minecraft, Skylanders and now Disney. A lot of this is also coming from the mobile space since parents are willing to buy them cheap licensed games to have their kids mess around with for a few hours. Nintendo's characters don't have nearly the same amount of exposure as the others and I'm sure it's the same in Japan.

Mario, Zelda, Samus are characters for another generation so maybe the solution is in creating new characters. It worked with Pokemon. It was something new and Nintendo accompanied those games with a media blitz that few video game have ever achieved. If they could somehow come up with a game featuring a new set of addictive mechanics and a new world and introduce it to the world via a smart marketing campaign, then maybe problem solved.

Easier said than done though. You can't tell what kids are going to like and maybe the solution is to put Mario on smartphones for a 99 cents.

Top Bottom