• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Before going to the B/S/T, I thought I'd check with you guys to see if someone in here would be interested in trading a new remote plus, BLACK, for a different color? I'd be ok with any other color bar black/white really, EU here btw.

I'm picking up my Wii U premium console next week (had it on laybuy)
Very excited! I'm a big fan of the Gamecube and the Wii U is more like that than the Wii.

I've already got 3 games + DK: Tropical Freeze on preorder

lzyf.jpg

There was a twist though, i opened ACIII and it seems the girl at the store accidentally put Black Flag in it :D I'm going to keep it though.
pzac.jpg

Just gotta get an empty Black Flag Case and buy ACIII again.

Also getting Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) next week, that will tide me over until X

Do yourself a favor.... Forget AC3.... In fact forget it ever existed and DONT play it! Stick to black flag, you'll be much happier. Find the custom cover thread and make one, problem solved

m0t0k1

Do yourself a favor.... Forget AC3.... In fact forget it ever existed and DONT play it! Stick to black flag, you'll be much happier. Find the custom cover thread and make one, problem solved

I never understand this comment. I own 3 and played 4 for a bit at a friends house so i maybe things will change later on. But i can't believe people calling 3 bad en 4 awesome. Gameplay is almost identical to one another. Only difference is the setting and the story. I also love easygoing starts Like in twilight princes or in AC3 love to relax and explore the world a bit live a bit of gaming live before being dropped into the action makes me feel more connected.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Blu said there was a technical reason, but I don´t think I can find that in the Latte thread, but I remember this same topic being discussed and Blu shared some info. Hopefully he checks this thread.

edit: Not against the Wii U but how the game is programmed, that is why Splinter Cell and LCU are bad but other games like AC 3 and 4, CoD and others don´t have issues at all.
Ok, since I'm utterly incapable of recalling the context where I may or may not have commented on load times (sorry guys, I'm of age), we'll have to build up some context anew.

First thing first - are we discussing loading from disk or flash? Either way, there's the matter of BW, but with disks there's also the matter of latency.

prag16

Banned
I never understand this comment. I own 3 and played 4 for a bit at a friends house so i maybe things will change later on. But i can't believe people calling 3 bad en 4 awesome. Gameplay is almost identical to one another. Only difference is the setting and the story. I also love easygoing starts Like in twilight princes or in AC3 love to relax and explore the world a bit live a bit of gaming live before being dropped into the action makes me feel more connected.

This. The gameplay is almost identical. The controls are almost identical. The types of quests are almost identical (some of the eavesdrop and follow quests are even more repetitive and boring in 4 than 3 in fact). And I prefer the setting of 3 (I'm a sucker for Revolutionary War stuff). Therefore I give 3 the edge over 4. Both are good, but 4 I found it a bit tougher to slog through.

69wpm

Release dates for upcoming Wii U eShop games (from PR e-mail):

Ittle Dew: February/March
Ballpoint Universe: March 18
Armillo: March 24
Shovel Knight: March 31
Nihilumbra: March
Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails: March
Squids Odyssey: March
Monkey Pirates: Q1
1001 Spikes: Q1
Teslagrad : March/April
QUBE Director’s Cut: April
Assault Android Cactus: Q2
Wooden Sen'Sey : Q2

Sendou

North America?

69wpm

Judging from the screenshots released, the games have the following resolutions:

1080p:

• Assault Android Cactus (no AA?)
  • Ittle Dew
  • Wooden Sen'Sey
  • CUBE
  • Shovel Knight

900p:

• Teslagard (first to run at this resolution?)

720p:

• 1001 Spikes (768p actually, very weird)
  • Squids Odyssey
  • Scram Kitty
  • Nihilumbra
  • Castle Storm

Armillo screenshots are all over the place, probably 720p.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Meh I would rather have them focusing their resources on new games. This does include eShop games but the way they announce them we wouldn't know about the incoming stuff. See how NES Remix was launched for example. Distribution deals are nice but let's be honest here: there's not any real classics just waiting to be brought over. Wii U's library in Japan isn't necessarily all that better.

of course I'd prefer tons of brand new wiiu games.
but realistically...

wouldn't be better a Q1 like this:
january dqx, steel diver subwars
february dktf, puyopuyo
march baten kaitos collection, taiko

compared to the actual one

january nope
february dktf
march nope

...I think it would be better

but realistically...

february dktf, puyopuyo

january nope
february dktf
march nope

DQX is such a missed opportunity for Nintendo..shame on them, especially when you consider this giant drought....

Ok, since I'm utterly incapable of recalling the context where I may or may not have commented on load times (sorry guys, I'm of age), we'll have to build up some context anew.

First thing first - are we discussing loading from disk or flash? Either way, there's the matter of BW, but with disks there's also the matter of latency.

Oh my, I think it was related to setting a size to something not suggested by Nintendo, not sure if it was the blocks. Sorry I don´t remember well either and I tried to look for the post with no luck. In any case cool!!

This. The gameplay is almost identical. The controls are almost identical. The types of quests are almost identical (some of the eavesdrop and follow quests are even more repetitive and boring in 4 than 3 in fact). And I prefer the setting of 3 (I'm a sucker for Revolutionary War stuff). Therefore I give 3 the edge over 4. Both are good, but 4 I found it a bit tougher to slog through.

Yes, AC3 was my first AC, the formula is a solid 8 in my book, no gem, but it is fun. I enjoyed AC3 a lot, even the slow start, kind of cool that it started building up.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
but realistically...

february dktf, puyopuyo

january nope
february dktf
march nope

Technically it was/is:

January: Wii Fit U retail (1/10)
February: Lego movie (2/7), DKCTF (2/21)
March: nothing of significance

freakzilla3000

I've been doing this every morning for the past two weeks :(

RIGHT?! I hope they give us some advance notice like at least 2 days or so.... Although it is pretty exciting when they announce it and we only have to wait a day. I am very interested to see how they handle the next one.

Wow if we start considering indie eshop titles as "real" games the release schedule is actually not so shabby. I'm curious to see if Nintendo and Wii U owners fully embrace these eShop titles out of necessity.

AniHawk

RIGHT?! I hope they give us some advance notice like at least 2 days or so.... Although it is pretty exciting when they announce it and we only have to wait a day. I am very interested to see how they handle the next one.

next thursday would be a good one. it's dkctf launch day in japan

Wow if we start considering indie eshop titles as "real" games the release schedule is actually not so shabby. I'm curious to see if Nintendo and Wii U owners fully embrace these eShop titles out of necessity.

Probably yes, most owners out of necessity.

Jan Wii Fit U
Feb DKC TF and Lego Movie Game
March Seems nothing buuuut... there seems to be a lot of indies coming Feb/March. This is one of the reasons of a heavy indie presence on the Wii U, filling gaps and providing diversity of games in terms of gameplay and cost.

I can say the Wii U is filling my gaming hobby just fine given my playing time, but even with time I could see myself playing through so many past titles.

I was a bit reluctant of indie games at first, but I have been trying some on steam and Wii U, even finishing some of them. I believe that indie games is the best thing to happen to Gaming in a while.

Wii U: Trine 2, Nano Assault, Little Inferno. Finished Trine 2 and played the other 2 a lot. I will probably get everything in the sale, Runner 2, Toki Tori 2, MSF HD and Giana Sisters.

PC: I recently got Deadlight, Limbo, Mark of the Ninja, Braid, World of Goo, Bastion. Beated Deadlight and playing through Limbo. MoTN is amazing! Between PC and Wii U I would choose Wii U because of the Off TV play.

If u liked 3 cool, but

1. U dont play as the main character for a few hours
2. The whole time you play as Haytham it is a giant tutorial

My biggest problem is 3, the strictness with which u must complete missions is insane. U have no player freedom in how you complete a mission unlike 4.

I love history and wanted to love 3, but lets be honest AC isnt a great game to begin with. Good yes, great no. The mission structure is the worst it has even been in 3 and the sailing in 4 is superior. Everything about 4 is superior So Why play both? Both stories are trash & he already owns 3. Just my opinion tho

I need a shovel knight date for Europe. On the meeting site only NA got one.

Unfortunately, the problem seems to be that PEGI is kind of backwards apparently requiring physical media to be sent(ie USB stick, CD) and charging a bunch
Saw a few other indie devs talk about this saying why they couldn't do a simultaneous release. It's also seems to be an issue with the USK and OFLC
KQ7.png

prag16

Banned
If u liked 3 cool, but

1. U dont play as the main character for a few hours
2. The whole time you play as Haytham it is a giant tutorial

My biggest problem is 3, the strictness with which u must complete missions is insane. U have no player freedom in how you complete a mission unlike 4.

I love history and wanted to love 3, but lets be honest AC isnt a great game to begin with. Good yes, great no. The mission structure is the worst it has even been in 3 and the sailing in 4 is superior. Everything about 4 is superior So Why play both? Both stories are trash & he already owns 3. Just my opinion tho

Points 1 and 2 don't really bother me. I liked the Haytham stuff, and I disagree that it was truly just a long tutorial. I'm guessing you only had that feeling since it wasn't the "main" character yet.

As for the rest, eh, while some mechanics were improved in 4 (especially naval stuff), I didn't find that mission structure much more varied, if at all, including freedom within missions.

I can agree that none of them are "great". Especially not the first one in the series. But the formula and base is fairly solid and fun.

After going through that list of upcoming indie games, I can safely say Teslagrad is going to be a must-buy for me. Ballpoint Universe looks quite nifty too; if it's priced similarly to what it is on Steam I will give it a shot.

So if these do come out as planned, I'll have Scram Kitty, Shovel Knight, Teslagrad, and Ballpoint Universe to keep my Wii U busy between Donkey Kong and Mario Kart, along with whatever VC titles might get released (and my ever-growing backlog). Not bad; I can deal with that, considering I have tons to play on 3DS and PC as well.

I thought Mario Kart was anticipated for March. Now we aren't getting anything in March for sure?

That's terrible of Nintendo. I'm running out of coop games to play in my house.

Mario Kart is confirmed for May, prior to that it was just a vague "spring" date. There are no Nintendo releases currently scheduled for March or April, but perhaps they'll surprise us.
Probably not

D-e-f-

Banned
I thought Mario Kart was anticipated for March. Now we aren't getting anything in March for sure?

Look at the eShop, there'll be stuff to keep you busy. It's not all about retail anymore. That's an area that the Nintendo audience still needs to appreciate more, I'd say.

Raitaro

For you and other Wii U owners anxiously waiting for Mario Kart 8 as your next co-op experience, I urge you to check out the quite recently released F1 Race Stars Powered Up Edition available on the E-shop (though disc-based versions are also available on PS3 and 360).

I just wrote quite a [post=99834911]lengthy piece[/post] in [thread=757016]this thread[/thread] on why me and my girlfriend think that is game is a very worthy addition to the Kart racing genre that holds up very well when compared to the Mario Kart and Sonic All-Stars games.

To reiterate (but please read the full post for more info on why): we especially adore its fantastic, colorful track designs (both in visual and structural terms) that take you on 15 mini adventures (though some tracks are twice as long and varied as the average Mario Kart track!) through cartoony versions of real life locations. As a Kart racer it also feels fresh because of its slightly heavier focus on racing technique (braking especially), the inclusion of a damage model / pit stop repair system, and the strong emphasis on discovering alternative routes and secrets. This unique mix of elements reminds us of the best parts of games like Beetle Adventure Racing, Outrun 2 (which has a similar theme, though perhaps a less unique art style than this game) and even F-Zero (because of the inclusion of loops, boost pads and vertical u-turns). The game even allows you to race without (all or some) items in some modes and do the full career mode in co-op as well!

We urge anyone to try out this highly overlooked game. Maybe you will become giddy with glee as well when you see how great the track designs are. We surely did.

(A word of warning for those on the fence about the Wii U version specifically: this is the only version that doesn't feature online multiplayer unfortunately. It does feature couch co-op that allows one player to use the gamepad - thereby freeing up the tv screen. It also does come with all 4 DLC tracks inclded for free, which are now fully integrated into the career mode.)

Yagami_Sama

I have mixed feelings about this game.

I was looking for some real F1 game, and gave me this "spin off". I it seemed to be a good game, but this is not what I was looking for, like the same thing I felt when I discover about Retro Studios secrte 3 years in development project was a Donkey Kong Game. I know that the problem is with me, not the game.
So far I still can't decide if a buy it or not.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
For you and other Wii U owners anxiously waiting for Mario Kart 8 as your next co-op experience, I urge you to check out the quite recently released F1 Race Stars Powered Up Edition available on the E-shop (though disc-based versions are also available on PS3 and 360).

I just wrote quite a [post=99834911]lengthy piece[/post] in [thread=757016]this thread[/thread] on why me and my girlfriend think that is game is a very worthy addition to the Kart racing genre that holds up very well when compared to the Mario Kart and Sonic All-Stars games.

To reiterate (but please read the full post for more info on why): we especially adore its fantastic, colorful track designs (both in visual and structural terms) that take you on 15 mini adventures (though some tracks are twice as long and varied as the average Mario Kart track!) through cartoony versions of real life locations. As a Kart racer it also feels fresh because of its slightly heavier focus on racing technique (braking especially), the inclusion of a damage model / pit stop repair system, and the strong emphasis on discovering alternative routes and secrets. This unique mix of elements reminds us of the best parts of games like Beetle Adventure Racing, Outrun 2 (which has a similar theme, though perhaps a less unique art style than this game) and even F-Zero (because of the inclusion of loops, boost pads and vertical u-turns). The game even allows you to race without (all or some) items in some modes and do the full career mode in co-op as well!

We urge anyone to try out this highly overlooked game. Maybe you will become giddy with glee as well when you see how great the track designs are. We surely did.

(A word of warning for those on the fence about the Wii U version specifically: this is the only version that doesn't feature online multiplayer unfortunately. It does feature couch co-op that allows one player to use the gamepad - thereby freeing up the tv screen. It also does come with all 4 DLC tracks inclded for free, which are now fully integrated into the career mode.)
I too made a thread about the game some time ago, because the game deserves the attention of actual racing fans (and not necessarily mascot fans).

Top Bottom