• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra In-depth: Xbox Live Arcade sales analysis, February 2012

Gowans

[Gamasutra contributor Ryan Langley [GAFs Rlan] examines February 2012's Xbox Live Arcade debuts and continuing successes, with charts and Leaderboard data showing the performance of titles like The Simpsons Arcade, Gotham City Imposters, and Happy Action Theater]

For the third year in a row, Microsoft has used February as a time to promote new titles for Xbox Live Arcade with its "House Party" campaign -- four or five games are added to the marketplace over several weeks, promoting the best the market has to offer at the time.

This year we've started off with Trapdoor's Warp and Remedy's Alan Wake: American Nightmare. How well can they hold up compared to previous games like Toy Soldiers and Perfect Dark from previous years?

We've pieced together leaderboard statistics and Metacritic ratings from all new titles in February, allowing us to determine what went right or wrong for the newest games, older titles, and downloadable content.

xblanewfeb2012.png

Full Article and More Info Here:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/166425/Indepth_Xbox_Live_Arcade_sales_analysis_February_2012.php

Gowans

It's weird about the Epic Quest Pinball FX table, it's an amazing table but it looks like it under performed.

Majora

That number for Alan Wake isn't going to be that accurate, as the leaderboards only count players who have played the Arcade mode. I'd expect there to be a fair number of people who didn't bother with anything besides story mode.

Kafel

Banned
That number for Alan Wake isn't going to be that accurate, as the leaderboards only count players who have played the Arcade mode. I'd expect there to be a fair number of people who didn't bother with anything besides story mode.

This data is usually BS.

I Am Alive looks like it has done about 4x what Alan Wake has done just by looking at the number of User Ratings the game has on the Dash (at least in Canada).

These leader board charts really aren't all that accurate, some major differences between them and Major Nelson's top selling game lists.

I'm greatly surprised by the Gotham Impostors' sales numbers. Anyone that still plays it able to confirm if the online community is still strong? The Giant Bomb Quick Look made it look really enjoyable but I didn't bother since online Arcade titles tend to die super quickly but if it's active still it might be worth jumping into.

I bought Warped. Pretty sure that was my only title I grabbed that was released this month. I don't buy nearly as many Live Arcade games anymore but I still own right around 130.

Microsoft seems to be a little smarter in realizing that 800 points is the best spot for good sales but the new dash is terrible in terms of well...everything. I used to always browse the arcade games and occasionally randomly grab something. And I was actively checking the weekly sales and price drops. Now it's too much of a hassle and it's not laid out well at all so I rarely dig into arcade games like I used to. I honestly believe that's part of the reason sales aren't where they were.

Also, they need to be more active in dropping prices and putting things on sales. I know others that actively watch Live Arcade threads and the games have noted that they constantly put the same stuff up for sale on the Deals of the Week or will only do them for DLC or something. Why haven't some of the old games that likely sell single- or double-digit figures in a week see their prices cut considerably or go on sales?

There's so many things that could be done to help the sales of Live Arcade. Frustrates me every time I see monthly sales figures and seeing such pitiful numbers.

Top Bottom