• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword - the Serpent's Curse Kickstarter [$819k funded w/ PayPal - Over]

Datrio

Revolution Software finally revealed their new project, Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse. And, uh, it's being kickstarted.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165500047/broken-sword-the-serpents-curse-adventure

zZqEe.jpg

When a mysterious painting is stolen during an armed raid on a Paris gallery, George and Nico are thrown by chance into the investigation together. From Paris to London and beyond, the trail becomes a race against time as dark forces from Europe's turbulent past are woken from their slumber. Broken Sword characters old and new are encountered - but who can George and Nico trust? The journey they are on reveals a conspiracy as old as the written word, whose ancient heresies will cause innocent blood to spill once more...

The estimated delivery time for the rewards is April 2013.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Cant wait for the next 2D Mario to be on Kickstarter.

Larsen B

Disappointed that the self-financed talk wasn't true but if this is what it takes for me to get another Cecil-helmed 2D Broken Sword, then that's what it takes.

Thought Kickstarter was only available to American residents with social security numbers and stuff. Interesting that they've managed to do this. I asked Cecil about this on twitter after Double Fine adventure but he kept moot this whole time.

Will back if it is close to failing.
Disappointed that the self-financed talk wasn't true but if this is what it takes for me to get another Cecil-helmed 2D Broken Sword, then that's what it takes.
I'm not surprised. Feels like the studio has been running off the cash from the original 2 games. Probably depleted a lot on the 3D ones. Anyone know if they were a hit?

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass

THE 2D ARTISTS ARE BACK IN TOWN. Yes we are going back to our 2D roots. We've searched high and low for the best artists to translate the original charm to a contemporary adventure. We've sourced artists that have worked at Disney, Dreamworks, Nickelodeon, Universal, Aardman, Sony and 20th Century Fox. Backgrounds are drawn in 2D by experienced layout artists. Game characters are created and animated in 3D and then pre-rendered and saved as 2D frames so we can deliver ultra high quality visuals in full HD glory.

2D enough.

epmode

I'm amused at all of these games that were semi-confirmed well before the Kickstarter craze that suddenly can't exist without Kickstarter.

2D enough.

3D renders = The worst kind of 2D. It can turn out well but I'd much prefer legitimate 2D animation.

mik83kuu

Banned
I was right (yesterday) :-D

EDIT: After watching the video I am immensely disappointed if it's going to have that fugly 3d-art.

Santar

Saddened by the fact they didn't go for hand drawn characters. I've never been a fan of 3d characters on 2d backgrounds, they just look so stiff and mismatched.
And is it just me or does George look worse in the closeup?
Gotta say though, the opening narration brought back nice memories.

Peff

Yes it is.

I've never given money to a kickstarter, if I do the $15 one, do I get it on Steam or some other service?

Doesn't look like it so far, it's likely a DRM free download. They'll probably get hammered with requests and end up going with Steam, though.

dc89

Anyone else getting a bit worried of Kickstarter now and how it's becoming more and more popular?

I just don't think it's a good thing for the industry.

Disappointing.
Kickstarter really shouldn't be used for sequels - if the previous entries didn't sell enough to self-finance this one then what's the point? Might as well use Kickstarter for something new and exciting that has a chance at being a hit but wouldn't get funded otherwise

xptoxyz

Renders don't look too bad, if well animated, I'm ok with this.

Played BS1+2 so many years ago, never touched "3 and 4" not even sure if I should.

Backgrounds look stunning, but yeah, I've never been a fan of pre-rendered 3D characters in 2D games. They look too separated from the 2D world and stand out too much. And in this case they also look too shiny with the cel-shading going on. The animation is good however.

But saying that I am glad it's mostly 2D and so far things sound and look good (minus the characters), so I'll keep an eye on it.

Disappointing.
Kickstarter really shouldn't be used for sequels - if the previous entries didn't sell enough to self-finance this one then what's the point?

The point is that this is a genre that publishers aren´t interested in. If fans want a new entry, it will be backed, otherwise it won´t. Very simple.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Disappointing.
Kickstarter really shouldn't be used for sequels - if the previous entries didn't sell enough to self-finance this one then what's the point? Might as well use Kickstarter for something new and exciting that has a chance at being a hit but wouldn't get funded otherwise

em??

maybe there are genres that aren't as popular now to get a sequel from publisher funding?
thats the whole point.

if people like games they played long time ago they can fund a game for making a new entry to the series.

Famassu

I'm amused at all of these games that were semi-confirmed well before the Kickstarter craze that suddenly can't exist without Kickstarter.
It's not that they couldn't exist without Kickstarter, but they just wouldn't have the creative freedom that Kickstarter can give them.

Larsen B

Well, it's what look like 3D models in a 2D environment. I suspect anyone hearing "2D" was expecting hand-drawn characters instead.

I'm pretty sure the Nico sections in the Director's Cut used something entirely similar to this. It always looked slightly odd compared to the original George parts.

And on that note, I think I'm going to play Broken Sword again tonight.

Hugely popular graphic adventure series + Kickstarter = Double profit

So tired of the KS model being abused. Can't wait for the Call of Duty 5 KS.

Edit after watching video:

WOW the character animation and 3d technique looks AWFUL.

scarybore

Bit surprised it's a kickstarter but I'm happy to support a series I love, I even enjoyed the 3D games even if they weren't a patch on the first two. Pledged $50 which is about £30 and that is what I would happily pay for a new PC game anyway.

vazel

Banned
I hope the exclusive stuff like developer diaries really is exclusive. I don't want to pay if it's going to be freely accessible to everyone. Otherwise I'll just wait for the Steam version.

Bulzeeb

so you get the game by backing this up, I migth bite it, this sounds like some kind of preorder with lots of bonuses

So weird that they just can't get the characters to look right or consistent after the second Broken Sword. Right now he has a Dreamworks expression, and he's completely different in his 3d model too.

Shion

Cant wait. I have both the original PC release and the DC version on Wii of the first game.
Love it to death. Amazing looking game too

broken-sword-directors-cut-wii-ds-screenshot-big.jpg

brokensworddc_ss1.jpg

^ And this was the new content too, so we know they still have it in them to deliver the 2D goods.
Best game in the series.

Top Bottom