• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword - the Serpent's Curse Kickstarter [$819k funded w/ PayPal - Over]

randomwab

The backgrounds like fantastic, and the return of some of the original team is great, as well as the original Nico. Characters look a bit weird, but not to a level where I'd be annoyed, and that's totally the art critic from the gallery in Two.

Disappointed it's going KS, but I love the series too much not to back. I'll probably do the $100 pledge.

MYE

tYRhm.jpg

Why is a blond Charlie Sheen playing George Stobbart?

Game visuals will improve when it's done. I have faith.

AFAIK, they did not mention that they would use 2D for the characters, so I assume this technique won't be changed.

tYRhm.jpg

Why is a blond Charlie Sheen playing George Stobbart?

So ugly. And such a shame given that BS1, Beneath a Steel Sky and Lure of the Temptress were games that made you think they really loved 2D.

Welp, there goes $100 of mine! XD It's my most anticipated game, how could I not want all that stuff?!

Old characters returning, that's awesome wonder who it'll be.

It's a bit sad major publishers don't want to fund adventure games, don't they get tired of their catalog of action and casual games?

LiK

AFAIK, they did not mention that they would use 2D for the characters, so I assume this technique won't be changed.

i'm fine with that. they could always alter the character designs and improve animations along the way. i'm sure backers will give them feedback.

squid

Looks like I'll be backing a kickstarter project for the first time! George looks a little weird, but everything else seems pretty good in the trailer. So great to see the series back (and hear George again)! Now to decide which level of funding to go for...

Shiggy

After all the speculation, we’re absolutely thrilled to be able to announce a new game in the Broken Sword series: “Broken Sword – the Serpent’s Curse”. Due for release in Q1 2013, we can confirm PC, Mac, Apple iPhone/iPad, Android & Linux formats (we hope to add console versions to the list). We have been writing the game for six months and are now launching a Kickstarter campaign to allow us to complete the game and maintain complete creative control.

To see George and Nico in glorious 2D/HD, and discover more about the game, please visit the Kickstater project page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165500047/broken-sword-the-serpents-curse-adventure

We really hope that you like our approach – and look forward to hearing your reactions. And please consider making a pledge on Kickstarter, and join our adventure.

Great that they support so many formats!

424712_513368952013157_116556663_n.jpg

The backgrounds like fantastic, and the return of some of the original team is great, as well as the original Nico. Characters look a bit weird, but not to a level where I'd be annoyed, and that's totally the art critic from the gallery in Two.

Disappointed it's going KS, but I love the series too much not to back. I'll probably do the $100 pledge.

I noticed that too, the snob that you knock out with absinthe after he breaks George's precious little pot lol.

I don't particularly like the look of the character models, and I don't like the fact that this is a Kickstarter project... but it's a new Broken Sword game so I'll back it - I have to. I really wish it was coming to PSN though, because I always associated the series with Playstation. I discovered it through a demo that came with the Official UK Playstation Magazine, subsequently bought the game, and then the sequel, and purchased the third one for the PS2. Bummer.

Bulzeeb

I might be tempted to give them $50 bucks, but with Guild wars and kirby coming out in the next few weeks I think I won't have enough money

Anyone else getting a bit worried of Kickstarter now and how it's becoming more and more popular?

I just don't think it's a good thing for the industry.

No it can´t be good for us that developers are using this to stay independent and deliver games that the publishers aren´t interested in. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why is Kickstarter being used? Surely they made enough money from BS1 and 2 on mobiles?

wdHqe.jpg

Revolution adventures have had considerable success - but the traditional publishing model has prevented us receiving the required royalties to fund future games. With limited financial reserves we have been unable to fund our own titles and so we have not benefited from their success.

?

Famassu

Hugely popular graphic adventure series + Kickstarter = Double profit
There's no such thing as "hugely popular graphic adventure series" anymore, or "hugely popular" and "graphic adventure game" don't belong in the same sentence.

So tired of the KS model being abused. Can't wait for the Call of Duty 5 KS.
Because all publishers are fighting between each other to get the chance of releasing those HUGE NUMBER OF adventure games we get every year.

Oh, wait...

Alpha_eX

Character art style is SO ugly but I still want this game more than anything. I'd honestly donate $1000 dollars if they reworked George's face, it's just so bad, much worse than the new Guybrush.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Nice how they almost completely manage to avoid showing or mentioning anything related Broken Sword 3 and 4 in the Kickstarter video. Good for them, I guess!

Say the game is unashamedly 2D. Show gameplay that suggests otherwise.

This is all kinds of iffy.

Technically, isn't it all 2D though?

"Game characters are created and animated in 3D and then pre-rendered and saved as 2D frames so we can deliver ultra high quality visuals in full HD glory."

But I do see your point, wish the characters were hand-drawn as well.

They said 2D several times in the video. But from what it looks like it is more what one calls "2,5D".

But this is just a concept video and I am not at all satisfied with what the characters look like. I would also rather have 2D characters.

But this is one of the kickstarters I have been waiting for, and I will throw a shitload of money in their faces.

mclem

Disappointing.
Kickstarter really shouldn't be used for sequels - if the previous entries didn't sell enough to self-finance this one then what's the point?
Because some games might not be hits but still be worth playing?

I think it's risky trying to convince people to fund *another* high-profile Kickstarted adventure, we've had an absolute ton already this year... but on the other hand, I can't say know to George Stobbart.

BadWolf

Would have pledged if there was a PS3 version, as is the main reward (access to the game) is useless to me (not into PC gaming so have a crappy/old PC).

Looks far too much like a Pendulo Studios game and it's the art style that prevents me from enjoying most of them.

I can't watch the video at work, but is Dave Gibbons on for this too? I seem to remember that he'd announced that he'll be working with Revolution again.

Shiggy

What I don't quite understand: What did they do with the money from the BS1&2 ports? They surely got more than these 400.000 USD they need for the upcoming 6 months. And usually development tends to become more expensive in the later stages of a project.

mclem

Anyone else getting a bit worried of Kickstarter now and how it's becoming more and more popular?

I just don't think it's a good thing for the industry.
What Kickstarter boils down to:

At some point, someone has to take a financial risk to make a game. They aren't just conjured out of nowhere.

Publishers aren't always willing to. Or sometimes they are willing to, but will exert control that might change the game to something less desirable to me.

I don't see a problem, if publishers aren't willing, for a developer to instead ask the audience who would purchase it if they'd be willing to take on a share of the financial risk.

I'm not exactly rolling in cash, but I'm perfectly happy to take on a reasonable share of the financial risk to fund development of a title I wish to play, and on paper - I'll have to watch the video when I get home - Broken Sword 5 certainly fits that bill.

SparkTR

What I don't quite understand: What did they do with the money from the BS1&2 ports? They surely got more than these 400.000 USD they need for the upcoming 6 months. And usually development tends to become more expensive in the later stages of a project.

They say because of publishers they didn't receive "the required royalties".

Haunted

From the Kickstarter: "Revolution adventures have had considerable success - but the traditional publishing model has prevented us receiving the required royalties to fund future games. With limited financial reserves we have been unable to fund our own titles and so we have not benefited from their success."

LiK

What Kickstarter boils down to:

At some point, someone has to take a financial risk to make a game. They aren't just conjured out of nowhere.

Publishers aren't always willing to. Or sometimes they are willing to, but will exert control that might change the game to something less desirable to me.

I don't see a problem, if publishers aren't willing, for a developer to instead ask the audience who would purchase it if they'd be willing to take on a share of the financial risk.
lP
I'm not exactly rolling in cash, but I'm perfectly happy to take on a reasonable share of the financial risk to fund development of a title I wish to play, and on paper - I'll have to watch the video when I get home - Broken Sword 5 certainly fits that bill.

Well said. I think I've heard enough complaints about KS. Don't like it, don't pledge.

mclem

Sudden realisation: Revolution are actually a company for whom I can participate in the 'meet the folks' rewards. I wonder if I might go that far.

Edit: Ah, those start at $5,000. Nope!

Larsen B

Sudden realisation: Revolution are actually a company for whom I can participate in the 'meet the folks' rewards. I wonder if I might go that far.

Edit: Ah, those start at $5,000. Nope!

Ha. I had the exact same realisation.

"Oh, no international shipping fees means maybe I'll spend a little extra and go to a party".

$250 is my limit for now. The most I'll have spent on a Kickstarter but also the one Kickstarter I want the most.

mclem

Ha. I had the exact same realisation.

"Oh, no international shipping fees means maybe I'll spend a little extra and go to a party".

$250 is my limit for now. The most I'll have spent on a Kickstarter but also the one Kickstarter I want the most.

I recall that one kickstarter - I *think* it was The Banner Saga - ran a "Meet us in a bar to celebrate the end of our successful Kickstart!". Apparently the place was packed, if I remember right.

Maybe they'll do that and I can nip to York for an evening :)

Sloane

Banned
The original Broken Sword is my favorite game of all time and I was really looking forward to this... but the 3D characters look godawful. Gonna pledge anyway but -- I didn't ask for this!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Graphics look like those runaway games... 2D please. Surely there's a better way to light/render/whatever cel shaded 3D models so that they don't look like dodgy old CG trying and failing to look 2D.

Shiggy

They say because of publishers they didn't receive "the required royalties".

From the Kickstarter: "Revolution adventures have had considerable success - but the traditional publishing model has prevented us receiving the required royalties to fund future games. With limited financial reserves we have been unable to fund our own titles and so we have not benefited from their success."

Weren't their latest titles published by themselves?

Top Bottom