• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It bums me out that both next generation consoles have mandatory installs.

Alphahawk

Am I the only one bummed out over this? I was always a console gamer growing up and I'm use to instant action, you put your game media in and it plays. Now it looks like those days are long gone, and never coming back. I don't know, there's just something incredibly sad about it and it's kinda keeping me from jumping in.

Anyone else feel the same way?

xexon

Banned
Why would you want to play everygame from the disc. There is absolutely zero reason to want to do that.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
PS4 installs are super quick. You'll end up saving time in the end with shorter load times.

Comandr

PS4 installs in the background while you play? Dunno about xb1 but there's no issue with one console. Unless I am radically mistaken. I've never waited to install on ps4.

Loomba

I like it, gives the devs more flexibility and makes the disk stop which reduces noise.

I put a 1tb drive in so space wont be an issues for a few years. (I got by all last gen with a 13gb xbox HDD).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's actually more like a cartridge system than ever since it isn't constantly accessing the disc.

Tagyhag

It doesn't bother me. But the days of instant plug and play? Hasn't been a fact for a long time now OP, gonna have to get used to it.

Diebuster

The PS4 installs games fast enough that I don't mind. It's not like the PS3 where you could make a sandwich, eat it, and still have to wait.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I love it. Load times are better than what they were last gen and there's no annoying long installations on PS4 like there was on PS3. Just pop the disc in, give it a min to preload the first chunk, and the rest of the data silently installs in the background.

Giever

If it's bothering you that much you could always just get a Wii U (which is also, you know, a next generation console).

GamerJM

Banned
I miss not having installs, but I'm also the kind of person who generally doesn't mind long load times.

Also like others have said Wii U doesn't have mandatory installs.

CLEEK

For the retail PS4 games I've played so far, boot up times are far shorter than on 360 or PS3 disc based games. And the initial, mandatory instillation is fast. Seconds, not minutes.And patching is far more seamless and quick as well.

MavFan619

Banned
Not sure on Xbox but I've put discs in PS4 expected to sit through an install and was playing well before I got a chance to complain about the install.

Foxix Von

Man, the PS4 installs are so quick they might as well be nonexistent. You put the disc in wait a minute or two and just hit play. It's probably taken me longer to pry open the shrink wrap than it has to install some games.

I just wish they allowed for bigger hard drives in these consoles. PS4's maximum capacity is 1.5TB and you can't swap the HD inside the XBOne at all. My XBOne's drive is almost full already.

To echo what a lot of people have said, I like the installs on the PS4. They are pretty fast and non-intrusive. The two disc games I have for the XBone (CoD Ghosts and DR3) have had fairly long installs. I couldn't just pop in the disc and play right away.

So I don't have an issue with mandatory installs if they are quick and I can get to the game fast.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Considering the data involved I don't think the op would like the other solution if it became a norm. Load times on consoles are plenty long already I want options to reduce the time not extend it.

pottuvoi

Banned
>5GB is a lot of data to load from disk only, certainly wouldn't like to see how some less than perfect games would perform.

I thought it was gonna be an issue and then when I bought my PS4 the install times were super quick, never had an issue with it. Now with my Xbox One on the other hand, install times are annoying.

kuYuri

This reminds me, I was downloading/installing my digital copy of CoD: Ghosts that's on my Gamertag on my buddies XB1 and I was never able to start playing the game until it completely finished installing (40GB~). Does Xbox One not have play while it installs feature or is it only for certain games?

Reverend

Neo Member
Installs limit load times, which makes the difference where it matters- while you're playing. We're rapidly moving towards a world where everything is backloaded or streamed off of the hdd- no more 5 minute elevators or forced 'walking with your finger in your ear while the commander guy talks to you' sections.

Yagharek

Nope! I want the fastest asset streaming and loading times. Playing off a slow disc should stay in past

It might be fast in the long run, but the first time I got to play an xbone I had to sit through 3 hours of waiting for Cod ghosts to install, and that only got to about 20% before we gave up and watched youtube videos instead.

It's a pain in the arse if you have to wait 8+ hours to be able to play a damn game as simple as cod.

PS3 installs used to be timed by the number of sandwiches you can make. On first impressions, xbone installs/updates seem to challenge you to make a fucking banquet.

It's not like the game has to reinstall everytime you use it.

Funnily enough, the account I posted above was the second time we had to install the damn game because the original install broke for some dumb reason. Worst first impressions of a console Ive ever had.

okayfrog

Banned
I played a game on the N64 for the first time in years the other night and I was reminded just how simple consoles used to be. Sad that they're only going to get more and more complex. Oh well, at least PC's are getting better. And hopefully handhelds stay relatively simple.

Alphahawk

I did some web digging and apparently most, if not all, PS4 games install initially in under a minute. I do have to wonder about the future though, like does Sony state anywhere that it has to be under a minute? Could we see a situation like Sonic 06 where the game was just not compressed enough to prevent ungodly waits?

I guess the other concern I have is just managing it all. Like I already have a hard enough time managing XBL games I just thing managing retail sized games will be a nightmare.

Overall I'm happy at what I've learned though. Although I still wish they would give you the options of just playing it off the disc.

(Also for those of you who don't know, apparently Xbox One games takes several minutes to load, even crossplatform titles Like AC4 takes 10 minutes)

I played a game on the N64 for the first time in years the other night and I was reminded just how simple consoles used to be. Sad that they're only going to get more and more complex. Oh well, at least PC's are getting better. And hopefully handhelds stay relatively simple.

Yep. Those were the good old days.

superman64.jpg

Am I the only one bummed out over this? I was always a console gamer growing up and I'm use to instant action, you put your game media in and it plays. Now it looks like those days are long gone, and never coming back. I don't know, there's just something incredibly sad about it and it's kinda keeping me from jumping in.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Wii U has that. ;-)

Proponent

Banned
There is something that has been bothering me. With games stored on the HDD, couldn't a defective, or deteriorating, or flat out damaged drive, cause poor gameplay performance in situations where the game still runs, but just starts to run aweful and flawed? Leaving the user to think it's the software when it is actually the drive.

Anteater

I've always hated the load time with discs since psx, hdd makes it a bit quicker and less noisy, which is kind of nice.

I don't understand, you lament the complexity of modern consoles, yet are happy about PCs becoming more prominent? PCs have always been far more complex to deal with than even the current generation of consoles :\

Zerin

The only thing that bums me out about this is that we have to wait another gen or so to not have to swap discs to play our fully installed retail games.

Tubie

As others have said, it's not a problem on PS4. The speed of installs was pretty shocking for me since I was used to PS3 install and load times.

Top Bottom