• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People people people ! Set your HDTV up correctly for consoles/PC !

Fnord

On a side note to this, make sure you've set your RGB range up properly. Goes a very long way to ensuring accurate image quality.

Choose 0-255 if you're using a PC monitor and Limited if you're using a TV. Getting these mixed up will give you crushed blacks or colour loss.

If you choose 0-255 for your TV because it thinks it supports it, double check with a grayscale calibration, because many actually don't.

If your TV does, however, support full range, you most certainly should enable it.

Jonboy

A couple of things that are important:
- Use the proper RGB/YCbCr format, so if your TV outputs 0-255 select Full RGB/YCbCr and if your TV outputs 16-235 select Limited RGB/YCbCr.
So which is preferred if you can do either? My TV has the options for RGB Range (16-235), non-compliance (0-255), or automatic.

Of course, the PS4 has the Auto, Limited, and Full options...

If your TV does, however, support full range, you most certainly should enable it.

Whenever I enable non-compliance (0-255) and set the PS4 to "full," the PS4 home screen becomes significantly lighter. On the flip side...if I use RGB Range (16-235) and set the PS4 to limited, the blue is much deeper/darker.

If I set both the PS4 and the TV to their "auto" settings, it results in the exact same image as non-compliance (0-255) and PS4 at "full."

Also, what should the black level be? Light or Dark? I read over on AVS Forums that if you have it set to 16-235 then your black level should be low (and vice-versa).

h#shdem0n

My TV's RGB settings are auto, limited and full. Is full definitely 0 - 255 or do I need to make sure it's not "faux full" or some BS.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Actually no. If you check what this does you'll find all those "image processing tools" and whatnot working there. Now, disable these and be amazed how the quality goes up.
They looked disabled to me.

Game mode actually makes it easy on Bravia sets because it disables bunch of post-processing effects and improves response time, but you still wanna go through it manually and fine tune stuff.
Yeah I probably should take the time to learn how to properly configure my TV's image. Though I suppose playing a GCN game this weekend wasn't the best test for configuring. Though I was surprised that the image wasn't awful considering all the horror stories I've heard about playing SD content on an HD television.

I recently had a revelation with my HDTV. I found i wasn't using the correct HDTV settings, causing god knows what shit to ruin the image quality.

When i got my PS4, i noticed immediately that things still sort of looked a bit like my Xbox 360, stuff i chalked up to being because it was at a lower resolution, so never bothered. Now i had a PS4 that should be outputting games at 1080p, and still seeing some of these iffy things on screen, i decided to look into it.

I basically found that the TV was adding all sorts of processing to the image, with this crazy amount of sharpening that was making everything look like it had been through a Photoshop filter. The TV also didn't display the full picture, but i had changed that donkeys ago using the option "screen fit", so that wasn't an issue.

I had also tried using my PC through my HDTV, and the desktop looked like ass, overly sharp with shitty colours ass. I thought "well i guess my TV sucks". It wasn't until somebody (sorry I couldn't find the post or name) in the Thief console war thread brought up the name of the exact issue i was having, that i realized what was going on with the image.

I didn't feel like fiddling with the settings too much, as i knew i would be at it for hours. I was getting a bit miffed that there wasn't some option to just remove all processing that the TV does to the image. But then i found it .....

On my Samsung 32" HDTV, when selecting the "Source" input, i found i could rename them. I was given a list, and I selected the "PC" name for it.

Immediately, the picture looked as good, if not better than my PC monitor. The screen resized itself to screen fit automatically. Picture quality was amazing, to the point where I wonder how i even played things before (i kind of want my 360 back now to see what they all looked like !).

I hooked up my PC again, Desktop now looked crystal clear, sharp and awesome. Loaded up Crysis 3 and good lordy ..... i don't really like the game that much but crikey what a spectacular treat it was seeing it on a 32" TV.

So basically, take a look into your TV settings to try and find an option that removes any processing the TV does to your console/PC signal (unless you like it of course).

You are some kind of wizard.

Literally naming the input "PC" completely changes the output to the monitor. My TV displays PC text PERFECTLY now. No strain on my eyes whatsoever.

This is insane.
I've been using this as a 2nd monitor for two years.

I thought it was crazy how much better the picture looked after changing the HDMI input's name to PC. Why hide the perfect automatic settings behind something so seemingly nonsensical?

iMax

Lies

If your TV its good you can put RGB Full
and still calibrate with the 1234 brightness
or squares slides( look for it online) to see all the information in super dark scenes.

RGB full takes away that washed out colors
Look PS consoles output and have always had and are infamous for having.

Nope. If a TV is calibrated correctly for each, RGB Full and RGB Limited should look exactly the same.

yes I have ben running my consoles on my Samsungs for a few years in pc mode.

RGB settings are on the source (console) settings not on the tv. there is an HDMI black level setting on the Samsung tv options. If your source is set to limited (or can not be changed) set the tv to HDMI black "Low" . If console is set to full (0-255) then set tv to HDMI black "normal". you will notice one gives you black crush or wash out if not set correctly.

also PC mode disables all this crap because it is not necessary. it displays the images as the developers intended. it amazes me how uptight we get about graphics on the board and then people are playing with souped up contrasts, colors and added sharpening filter on our tvs and rarely see the result as intended.

once I set it to pc and got used to the image, I realized how unnatural my old settings were. overly sharpened and colored and darkened.

also ...do not judge the settings and go back and forth to the old modes... set it and forget it and after a while the brain will stop expecting the fake settings to be true and most games will appear better

Wrong way round, man.

RGB Full = Low Black Level
RGB Limited = Normal Black Level

Only after calibrating. I've seen many TVs that supposedly support the feature, yet simply don't show the 0-16 range of blacks, even when set up correctly. It's always best to double check.

I thought it was crazy how much better the picture looked after changing the HDMI input's name to PC. Why hide the perfect automatic settings behind something so seemingly nonsensical?

It really is ridiculous how much it improved for me. I feel like they should be offering a "No bullshit" button on TV's to remove this crap (why would you want anything over HDMI to have it on anyway ?).

I will try and take some photos that show off the improvement.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. I just turned off all the image processing and smart picture stuff on the HDMI channel I'm using. Looking better, definitely. Not too happy about the "game" picture setting though. On my JVC 1080p tv I think the "bright" setting looks better. More backlight and a bit more colorful in general.

Jonboy

Only after calibrating. I've seen many TVs that supposedly support the feature, yet simply don't show the 0-16 range of blacks, even when set up correctly. It's always best to double check.
So what would you recommend for me? I'm using a panasonic plasma with calibration settings from avs forums.

So which is preferred if you can do either? My TV has the options for RGB Range (16-235), non-compliance (0-255), or automatic.

Whenever I enable non-compliance (0-255) and set the PS4 to "full," the PS4 home screen becomes significantly lighter. On the flip side...if I use RGB Range (16-235) and set the PS4 to limited, the blue is much deeper/darker.

If I set both the PS4 and the TV to their "auto" settings, it results in the exact same image as non-compliance (0-255) and PS4 at "full."

Also, what should the black level be? Light or Dark? I read over on AVS Forums that if you have it set to 16-235 then your black level should be low (and vice-versa).

Klocker

Wrong way round, man.

RGB Full = Low Black Level
RGB Limited = Normal Black Level

I was referring to Samsung tv and a console...

if your console is set to send signal RGB full then use hdmi normal setting on a Samsung tv to meet the black level... If you use RGB limited from source, then Samsungs display properly with HDMI black set to low.

if you use low with full you get black crush , if you use normal with limited you get wash out

iMax

So what would you recommend for me? I'm using a panasonic plasma with calibration settings from avs forums.

Do a 0-16 black level test to make sure you can see the black range. If you can't, something's up with the setup.

iMax

I was referring to Samsung tv and a console...

if your console is set to send signal RGB full then use hdmi normal setting on a Samsung tv to meet the black level... If you use RGB limited from source, then Samsungs display properly with HDMI black set to low.

if you use low with full you get black crush , if you use normal with limited you get wash out

Yeah, even on Samsung, normal = limited and low = full. Normal is 16-235, the 'normal' range for TVs. Full is 0-255, the 'normal' range for PCs. This gives you a lower black level.

If you're getting black crush or greys, you need to re-calibrate your brightness and contrast, as it's setup incorrectly.

iMax

But what RGB settings should I set on the PS4 and TV before tweaking the black range?

Make sure both are set to Low/Full/Expanded/PC. Then try the 0-16 test and re-calibrate to see if the colours appear.

Bear in mind, if you're routing your TV picture through an AV Receiver, most of these don't support the full 0-255 RGB range at all.

I have a Panasonic plasma and for the record, I've never managed to get full RGB working on it, for some reason.

It really is ridiculous how much it improved for me. I feel like they should be offering a "No bullshit" button on TV's to remove this crap (why would you want anything over HDMI to have it on anyway ?).

I will try and take some photos that show off the improvement.

they should. I mean, I was shocked to here that Sony 4K TVs do not offer a mode where a 1080p input takes one pixel and makes it four, without doing any other fucking about. Panasonic's do, fortunately.

I'm glad to see you got things sorted out. 4:4:4 chroma is this bizarre thing that should be front and center on TV spec sheets but isn't.

I do wonder sometimes if the people who say 'you can't tell the difference between 900p and 1080p know what 1080p is even supposed to look like on their TV.

pertinent calibration test card for full/limited:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Klocker

Yeah, even on Samsung, normal = limited and low = full. Normal is 16-235, the 'normal' range for TVs. Full is 0-255, the 'normal' range for PCs. This gives you a lower black level.

If you're getting black crush or greys, you need to re-calibrate your brightness and contrast, as it's setup incorrectly.

when set up the way you describe on all three Samsung plasma sets I have owned, I get horrible black crush or wash out (with 360 or Xbox One as source)...so no-go there. unless I severely overcompensate the brightness/contrast settings

the setting on the Samsung adjusts for the incoming signal... So telling it to use low appears to compensate for limited black hdmi and saying normal, appears to prepare to receive a full 0-255 signal

Lima

I have a Panasonic plasma and for the record, I've never managed to get full RGB working on it, for some reason.

Because some of them don't even support it and the ones that do have only have an auto setting via HDMI EDID information. Some devices are not sending this information correctly so it fucks things up.

Only the latest 60 series has a setting in the menu to manually select the HDMI black level.

Jonboy

Make sure both are set to Low/Full/Expanded/PC. Then try the 0-16 test and re-calibrate to see if the colours appear.

Bear in mind, if you're routing your TV picture through an AV Receiver, most of these don't support the full 0-255 RGB range at all.

Interesting. Thanks. I'll tweak with it more and see what I can come up with. I'm also using a Panasonic Plasma (s60). PS4 straight to the TV via HDMI.

Just for reference, I've been using the 2nd set of calibration settings found here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461177/official-panasonic-s60-series-discussion-thread/1290#post_23290695

My only issue has been with dark scenes in both BF4 and Tomb Raider. I had to tweak both of their respective brightness settings in-game to get it bright enough for me to see. Interestingly enough, switching my TV and PS4 to the "Full" RGB seems to instantly fix this problem...but everything seems to have a general light, haze type effect.

Because some of them don't even support it and the ones that do have only have an auto setting via HDMI EDID information. Some devices are not sending this information correctly so it fucks things up.

Only the latest 60 series has a setting in the menu to manually select the HDMI black level.

Yep. That's the TV I have. So should I put the HDMI black level as light or dark? Nearly everyone online says "light" but whenever I put the TV and PS4 on full RGB, everything looks washed out, although brighter.

iMax

when set up the way you describe on all three Samsung plasma sets I have owned, I get horrible black crush or wash out (with 360 or Xbox One as source)...so no-go there. unless I severely overcompensate the brightness/contrast settings

the setting on the Samsung adjusts for the incoming signal... So telling it to use low appears to compensate for limited black hdmi and saying normal, appears to prepare to receive a full 0-255 signal

Yeah, this doesn't make any sense :/

You should try the 0-16 test to make sure everything's alright. Sounds to me like your picture's getting distorted somewhere along the line.

Yup, I have the VT60 and even with RGB Full manually selected, it still fucks up. Might try a new HDMI cable.

Interesting. Thanks. I'll tweak with it more and see what I can come up with. I'm also using a Panasonic Plasma (s60). PS4 straight to the TV via HDMI.

Just for reference, I've been using the 2nd set of calibration settings found here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461177/official-panasonic-s60-series-discussion-thread/1290#post_23290695

My only issue has been with dark scenes in both BF4 and Tomb Raider. I had to tweak both of their respective brightness settings in-game to get it bright enough for me to see. Interestingly enough, switching my TV and PS4 to the "Full" RGB seems to instantly fix this problem...but everything seems to have a general light, haze type effect.

Yep. That's the TV I have. So should I put the HDMI black level as light or dark? Nearly everyone online says "light" but whenever I put the TV and PS4 on full RGB, everything looks washed out, although brighter.

Yeah, give it a go man. I got used to the crushed blacks when I first got my VT60. I thought it was normal because the blacks were so deep and inky but it turns out I was missing all the shadow detail too. Playing Dead Rising 3, for example, was pretty much impossible.

I changed to Limited RGB and everything was completely washed out. Blacks were grey and the image looked dull. But after a re-calibration, it looked exactly as before. Just as inky – but with tons of shadow detail too.

for what it's worth, I think Tomb Raider is supposed to be dark on a properly calibrated set. It is for me, but without black crush. It's like, Agents of Shield was driving me crazy until I realized that, no, that show is just really dark compared to everything else.

H6rdc0re

Banned

I prefer 16-235 with limited setting because that's what Blu-rays output natively.

Lima

Basically, if you're using your TV as a TV, you should be using limited. Only use Full if you're working with a PC.

There is still some debate about consoles though because some argue that games are created with 0-255. So game consoles should be set to full too.

The problem is though that there is no standard in the games industry regarding this. So some games might be made with this and others with 16-235 in mind.

Either way though you would be hard pressed to distinguish between 0-255 and 16-235 if it is the same TV model and is correctly set up side by side. So when in doubt it is better to leave it at 16-235.

Jonboy

pertinent calibration test card for full/limited:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
Well I'll be dang...I knew I wasn't crazy. Just ran this on my PS4 with the settings I've been using. Could only see the bottom row of those black squares. Guess that means I've been playing with crushed blacks this whole time? No wonder I had to crank up the brightness on Tomb Raider and BF.

Changing both the PS4 and my TV to the "full" RGB seemed to fix this instantly as I can now view each black box with your pattern. Looks like I can also get the same result though by setting both to limited or both to auto.

Basically, they just have to be the same. Before, the PS4 was set to "auto" and the TV was set to standard. Resulted in crushed blacks for me. Holy crap I can't believe I've been playing like this for months.

for what it's worth, I think Tomb Raider is supposed to be dark on a properly calibrated set. It is for me, but without black crush. It's like, Agents of Shield was driving me crazy until I realized that, no, that show is just really dark compared to everything else.

Yeah I think so too. That being said...pretty sure mine were crushed b/c I couldn't see any of the "tomb raider" logo within the in-game brightness adjustments.

Z3M0G

FFXIV on my TV from PC looks soft and natural.

FFXIV on my TV from PS4 looked over contrasted with brighter colors and crushed blacks.

I made sure that the contrast/sharpness/etc matched between the two, but still the same result. I guess I need to look deeper...

Klocker

Basically, if you're using your TV as a TV, you should be using limited. Only use Full if you're working with a PC.
I went back and set tv to normal and limited (wash out) and made some brightness, cont adjustments and got a pretty damned good picture. About the same As low/limited with higher brightness settings but I actually think I'm getting more detail and slightly better image. Have brightness very low though (20)

running everything through xbone btw, direct to tv, skipping receiver

thx

sqwarlock

I just tried this, and while it makes a noticeable difference while on my PS3's home screen, it doesn't do a thing when in a game. While in a game I can change the name back and forth from PC to anything else, and there's no difference. If I pop back to the home screen, however, the differences return.

Well I'll be dang...I knew I wasn't crazy. Just ran this on my PS4 with the settings I've been using. Could only see the bottom row of those black squares. Guess that means I've been playing with crushed blacks this whole time? No wonder I had to crank up the brightness on Tomb Raider and BF.

Changing both the PS4 and my TV to the "full" RGB seemed to fix this instantly as I can now view each black box with your pattern. Looks like I can also get the same result though by setting both to limited or both to auto.

Basically, they just have to be the same. Before, the PS4 was set to "auto" and the TV was set to standard. Resulted in crushed blacks for me. Holy crap I can't believe I've been playing like this for months.

Yeah I think so too. That being said...pretty sure mine were crushed b/c I couldn't see any of the "tomb raider" logo within the in-game brightness adjustments.

in my experience with my set, Auto doesn't always work. I like to manually specify, slightly annoyingly for me, I run all my equipment through my AV receiver, and the Wii U doesn't offer full output, so when playing that I have to manually change it and remember to put it back, since Auto doesn't function correctly when using my PS4 (I think it was PS4 which was giving it problems, anyway... it's been a little while).

iMax

I went back and set tv to normal and limited (wash out) and made some brightness, cont adjustments and got a pretty damned good picture. About the same As low/limited with higher brightness settings but I actually think I'm getting more detail and slightly better image. Have brightness very low though (20)

running everything through xbone btw, direct to tv, kipping receiver

thx

There you go, dude! Enjoy.

Durante

Nope. If a TV is calibrated correctly for each, RGB Full and RGB Limited should look exactly the same.
This isn't true. You have more available color tones with full RGB range (16.5 million) than with limited range (10.5 million). It's possible to see the difference e.g. on full-screen gradients.

By the way, if you have a PC with a NV GPU an want to use full range with a TV you might find this useful.

Jonboy

Sounds like GAF needs an OT for tv's, calibrations, console settings, etc.

Just from reading this thread, I'd be willing to bet that a large number of people aren't getting anywhere close to the best possible picture on their HDTV.

I have a newer Samsung LCD and had a similar experience as some of you with PS4 black crush/wash out. I noticed how dark/gray some areas were depending on the settings. Since then, I decided not to use PS4's auto black level option and I think I have it set up correctly.

Now because of this thread, I'm second-guessing my settings, so I'll be messing around with some of these suggestions on sharpness and color when I get home from work.

iMax

This isn't true. You have more available color tones with full RGB range (16.5 million) than with limited range (10.5 million). It's possible to see the difference e.g. on full-screen gradients.

By the way, if you have a PC with a NV GPU an want to use full range with a TV you might find this useful.

Not if the source material is 16-235.

Foxix Von

Have you tried setting it to Movie (GAME mode has to be off to do this on my set) rather than Standard or Dynamic?
Whenever I do that on my set it allows me into "Detailed Settings" which has the edge enhancment option among a bunch of other image enhancment options.

Mines kinda an old 720p set from 2008 though, dosn't do anything if you set the input to PC.
Holy fucking shit.

I thought this wouldn't work because edge enhancment was something I could tick off in game mode but it would only tone the enhancement down and not off. I popped the fucker into movie mode after turning off game mode and re input all my previous picture setting and WHAM! It looks beautiful now. Oh my god thank you so much. I've been pulling my hair out over this for the past few years since I got this POS.

I guess I came in expected to find some actual suggestions on how to do this. You just kind of mention "post-processing" but don't indicate what to disable.

I'm somebody who kind of obsessively fiddles with my TV to optimize it, but for somebody just walking into this topic, OP, you might want to give them some tips in your opener there.

andycapps

The rule is to turn off all the fancy things they sell you on in the store. Smoothing, Digital Noise Reduction, overblown filter settings with crazy colors, etc. Always good to have some good Blu-rays with good night time scenes to get your settings right.

EasyMode

I just tried this, and while it makes a noticeable difference while on my PS3's home screen, it doesn't do a thing when in a game. While in a game I can change the name back and forth from PC to anything else, and there's no difference. If I pop back to the home screen, however, the differences return.

I assume you have a Samsung TV then? PC Mode doesn't support 720p for some silly reason, and a lot of PS3 games are 720p only. If you have a 1080p game you can test, it should work, but 720p games miss out.

Durante

Not if the source material is 16-235.
No, but this thread is about setting up your HDTV for consoles/PC. That's full RGB source material.

Off topic but I always enjoyed the irony of knowing many people arguing about IQ would be viewing their games on poorly calibrated and adjusted TVs with all manner of over-saturation and horrible colour tones. Petty I know.
I like to argue about IQ more than anyone and all my screens are calibrated to sRGB using a Spyder4 :p

EGM1966

Off topic but I always enjoyed the irony of knowing many people arguing about IQ would be viewing their games on poorly calibrated and adjusted TVs with all manner of over-saturation and horrible colour tones. Petty I know.

As someone who believes in investing in calibrating expensive HD equipment though I can't back the OP enough in terms of asking people to make the effort to actually see games at their best.

Linkenski

Banned
Just bought a Sony Bravia KDL-42W654A last week. I managed to make a very satisfying Game-Mode preset that doesn't have overblown saturation or anything IMO

Here's the settings as they come in order: (Hint, press Options on the remote to bring up the menu, then select [Scene Select] then choose Game Mode)

Press the Options button on the remote. Enter [Picture] and this opens up:

Target Inputs = Current (doesn't matter as long as you have it selected for your game source)

Picture Mode = Game-Standard

(Backlight = 8)

Contrast = "Max"
Brightness = 50
Colour = 60
Hue = 0
Colour Temperature = Neutral
Sharpness = 65 (65 is standard. Sometimes games look better if you turn it down a bit)
Noise Reduction = Off (Greyed out)
MPEG NR = Off (grey)
Dot NR = Off (grey)
Reality Creation = Off (This is set to "Auto" by default and what it does is create some extra sharpness around certain edges and objects that make certain details stand out. Unfortunately in games it causes fonts to have a grey outline and it looks pretty bad once you notice, so "Off" with that)
Video Area Detection = Off (grey)
Resolution = -- (greyed out)
Smooth Gradiation = Low (I still haven't seen what it does as I can't spot differences between "off" and "high")
Film Mode = Off (grey)

And then select [Advanced Settings] in the bottom of the [Picture] menu:

Black Corrector = High (seriously, this makes everything look MUCH better. It makes the blacks look blacker, lol, but without it everything looks foggy by comparison and it doesn't look artificial at all with it on.)
Adv. Contrast Enhancer = Off (This looks artificial with it on.)
Gamma = 0 (sometimes the screen is a bit dark, so you might wanna turn it up)
Auto Light Limiter = Off
Clear White = Off (It can make color temperature look cold if on)
Live Color = High (Dunno if this increases input lag, but it doesn't look artificial in the slightest, and everything looks more vibrant with it on)
Detail Enhancer = Low (Very hard to notice, but it basically increases aliasing in games when it's on, but 720p games look blurry with it off sometimes, so set it to low)
Edge Enhancer = High (Makes fonts look less blown out of proportion. I reccommend you use this, especially in lower-res games.)

I have a VT60. BF4 was dark as hell, I had to crank up in game brightness slider and I still couldn't see enemies inside of the darker buildings.

I then went into the PS4 settings and changed it to RGB limited. This is the correct setting for TV's. I still get nice, dark blacks but now I can see everything inside dark buildings. Keep the black level set to Light. Make sure you adjust your "in game" brightness settings. I also set my gamma to 2.4 when gaming in a dark room. I don't know if you can easily change the gamma In the S60 though.

Top Bottom