• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any new PS4 OS Update Details?

icespide

Banned
image.php

Yes, because that's all they have done...

hardly, but that guy was considering it one of 3 significant updates

The DLNA CVP2 specs haven't been published yet

So you don't expect them to release anything until they are able to get official certification? That seems like a long wait :\
I honestly don't know but I'd guess that something like DLNA might make it in earlier. Sony and Microsoft are part of the organizations that are in charge of developing the standards...this is why we see demos on PS3 and PS4 NOW.

Demo of a CVP2 app running on a PS4 for Dish. It doesn't include DLNA APIs.

DLNA CVP2 works as follows:

RVU = DLNA CVP2

With Dish, If there is an app for the PS4 in a store you use that app and it looks for a DISH DVR Receiver on the home network. It's primarily a HTML5 APP.

The full protocol looks for RVU platforms on your home network like the PS3 looks for DLNA servers. It lists them under the menu bar again like the PS3 lists them. These devices will be Blu-ray players, PS4, Cable Box DVRs, Windows 8.1 platforms, DLNA Network servers/storage and likely a refreshed Xbox 360 and PS3 that have encoders so that they can game stream to other platforms.

When you click on the RVU icon you are served a HTML5 menu either generated locally or you are passed a URL to a cloud server (for guide/menu) or both.

You've obviously never used a Wii U. Like the Wii, the channel system for accessing your content is efficient and easy to use. It does however benefit from touch and/or pointer control. The XMB has to be one of the most cluttered user interfaces I have ever used.

Cluttered? You can't be serious. Google "cluttered" before you respond pls

that's not what I'm saying, if the XB1 had sold out maybe they wouldn't feel so pressured to get out updates as fast as they can, they could rest easy a little bit.

Eh? 360 doing well didn't stop Microsoft pushing out updates and overhauling the 360 UI. Sony are slow, that's it. Sales numbers don't have a thing to do with it.

my basic point is that clearly they aren't losing sales because you can't sort your games or change background colors or play MP3's, so they aren't in a crazy mad dash to get these updates out.

So basically "We've already got your money, so fuck you" is an acceptable attitude?

Replicant

I want:

* Archiving for PS4 streams
* Higher bitrate for streams
* Better (less) compression for images
* Better editing tools for video
* MP3 and MP4 support
* Update firmware via USB stick
* Better way to organize games
* Customizable background/music

STAT! Chop chop, Sony!

icespide

Banned
Eh? 360 doing well didn't stop Microsoft pushing out updates and overhauling the 360 UI. Sony are slow, that's it. Sales numbers don't have a thing to do with it.

So basically "We've already got your money, so fuck you" is an acceptable attitude?

they overhauled the UI within the first 4 months? I'm not saying they aren't putting out updates because of sales, I'm saying that's why they are taking their time. if they rush something out that is a buggy mess and you get bad word of mouth that could actually lead to drops in sales and kill their momentum. for xbox one, great new software updates can only help sales

Oersted

they overhauled the UI within the first 4 months? I'm not saying they aren't putting out updates because of sales, I'm saying that's why they are taking their time. if they rush something out that is a buggy mess and you get bad word of mouth that could actually lead to drops in sales and kill their momentum. for xbox one, great new software updates can only help sales

I wondered how long it takes before someone avatarquotes you.

Anyway...

They should be able to deliver OS updates in a nonrushed status. Competence.

Kaizer83

Neo Member
Posted by ‏@Envisager Communiity Manager on twitter just now:

Exciting new features coming soon!(PS4 FW 1.70)
-HDCP off
-Export captures to USB
-Rich media video editor
720P Streams in the works

Posted by ‏@Envisager Communiity Manager on twitter just now:

Exciting new features coming soon!(PS4 FW 1.70)
-HDCP off
-Export captures to USB
-Rich media video editor
720P Streams in the works
What is Rich Media video editor? At first I thought video editor including meta data editing. But Wiki and others say it's more...an interactive HTML5 and or Java video. "According to Wikipedia, rich media is "a broad range of interactive digital media that exhibit dynamic motion, taking advantage of enhanced sensory features such as video, audio and animation."

One of the first things mentioned by Sony when they were introducing FIrmware 3.0 was "once video is digitized it can be manipulated" and Firmware 3.0 was all about HTML5 <video> which in webkit is generally gstreamer (the video player) bindings with Cairo which allows manipulation of the video. There were some Sony (AR demos) by Marks around the same time that I can't find.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/03/ps4_firmware_update_170_enhances_share_and_shuts_down_hdcp said:
In addition to being able to export your screenshots and videos to a USB stick, the Japanese giant is also adding a new video editor tool which will allow you to personalise your clips. It&#8217;s not clear what you&#8217;ll actually be able to do, but titles and filters seem likely.
Article from 2011 describing a video editor using HTML5 <video>.

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/audio/raw-file/tip/streams/StreamProcessing.html

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/WebRTC/MediaStream_API

http://www.slideshare.net/robman/mediastream-processing-pipelines-on-the-augmented-web-platform

http://html5video.org/blog/2012/09/22/foms-workshop-and-the-state-of-open-web-video/

WebRTC aims to deliver real time communication to the browser and encompeses a few diffrent apis and technologies; getUserMedia , MediaStream, PeerConnection and DataChannel. Together they will enable powerful new peer to peer applications; everything from video chat to real-time in browser multi-player gaming [ gamestreaming (Twitch, PS Now, Nvidia GameStream, Onlive)].

media processing use cases ( playlists, video editors, live audio filters, gapless ad insertion etc ). Mozilla has backed the more complete MediaStream Processing API, and has a few working demos.

Summary:
1) The PS4 has a WebGL (browser desktop) UI
2) WebRTC provides the (APIs) tools for HTML5 Video editing and then Augmented Reality.
3) The PS4 already supports Twitch and update 1.70 includes a Video editor and new features for Twitch (Playstation Live).

We should expect Sony has a Roadmap of features planned for the PS4 and those features will be implemented based on the state of HTML5 API releases and for example, industry standards like the FCC push for analog Phone to Internet Protocol which will impact Skype/chat.

DLNA CVP2 includes ad insertion which requires at least parts of WebRTC. Video editing if done as a HTML5 app, which I consider likely, will use WebRTC and it's logical that it could be implemented (No dependencies on other technologies or coming standards) before DLNA CVP2 or Video Chat.

June (FCC Mandate for DLNA CVP2 to be implemented by Cable companies for DVRs) and Dish has announced for Spring 2014, PS3 and PS4 CVP2 (apps) which may not require the PS4 software stack to fully support it just as Netflix 10/2010 didn't require using the PS3 software stack. It will require access to the WebRTC media stream APIs and Trustzone processor which I think Sony will allow with Playready DRM APIs.

http://www.dlna.org/docs/default-so...scription-tv-content-in-the-home.pdf?sfvrsn=6

E3 June 10 LA Convention Center will also have ShowStoppers @ Play.

ShowStoppers @ Play is the press event for innovation in gadgets, gear and gizmos for health, home and play, implants, sensors, biometrics, heart rate monitors, Steam-powered online games and entertainment, consoles, handheld and interactive devices, headphones, sports watches and fitness trackers, eye trackers, mobile devices, and more. It&#8217;s where hardware makers, software developers, innovators, award winners, visionaries, startups and studios make new connections, promote brand, take leadership and open new markets.

ShowStoppers @ Play is 10 June 2014, just as school ends, entertainment gets serious, and the heat pushes pulse rates higher &#8212; timed to help companies large and small connect with journalists looking to discover the future of consumer, lifestyle and digital technologies for life, home and play.

June 2 is the FCC mandate date for DLNA CVP2 while starting after September (DLNA Certification) is when most CE industry client STBs will appear and 2014, the start of the Connected Home.

ATSC 2.0 TV (With DLNA & Playready for mediahub model) = Smart TV with DLNA, Playready, browser & Java = DLNA CVP2 client = RVU 2.0 client
= (HTML5 with DLNA 1.5 APIs + W3C gesture and voice control APIs + Playready + Java required)
= PS4 + 1080P TV = XB1 + 1080P TV
= PS3, Xbox 360, WiiU + 1080P TV with various control schemes. WiiU with second screen touchscreen, Xbox 360 with gesture and voice, PS3 with ?.

Top Bottom