• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Just played a couple games of Halo 4 for the first time in almost 5 months, and if you actually tune out the problems with the game and stare off into space, it can be pretty tolerable.

*shrugs*

Felt like playing Halo

I haven't touched Halo 4 in a while. I was never a hater. I knew the game had its problems but I still played it a lot after launch, but it fizzled out faster than any of the others definitely. The last couple days, my roommate and I have been playing Reach again. SO much fun. My eyes have been opened.

FyreWulff

Random thought.. If Halo 5 has dedicated servers, does that mean we'd have to 'hire' them (à la BF3/4) for private matches?

I made a post about this a while back, that I can't find, but I don't think you will. I'm going to assume the entire game will be on dedis and it'll just seamlessly spin up an Azure instance when you go to a private lobby for everyone to play on.

Fuck it, why not. Getting in on this page.

EUU30kP.gif

long time no post i wanna know that that gif is from ^_^

The Flash

Banned
I made a post about this a while back, that I can't find, but I don't think you will. I'm going to assume the entire game will be on dedis and it'll just seamlessly spin up an Azure instance when you go to a private lobby for everyone to play on.

Yeah no way any Halo game won't have dedicated servers from this point on

FyreWulff

Yeah no way any Halo game won't have dedicated servers from this point on

I'm also assuming whatever it is they want to do with multiplayer would be built around dedis - it wouldn't make much sense to have a peer-hosted variant of multiplayer if you've built your game around the bandwidth and processing power of being able to move the hosting server off of the client box.

I haven't played 4 in what feels like months. I thought my Xbox live sub had ran out months ago when it hadn't.

I have been planning on doing a marathon of the halo games in chronological order fairly soon, though I wonder if I should just wait for the better enhanced anniversary edition to come out first... I don't mind halo 4's campaign though, so that will be fun to play through again.
I played a few games a week or so ago. First game back JIP even scores, pretty good connection. But I just got bored, I really didn't enjoy it.

Yeah I think I'm due for a reach to 4 play through.

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
I'm considering buying Spartan Assault on 360 just so I can get that cool DMR skin...

I think I need professional help

I bought that DMR skin, it comes with a free twin stick shooter. Honestly though, the controls in that game are so janky on the consoles. If you're going to buy Spartan Assault and have any intention of playing it, it plays much better on a tablet.

Omni

I bought that DMR skin, it comes with a free twin stick shooter. Honestly though, the controls in that game are so janky on the consoles. If you're going to buy Spartan Assault and have any intention of playing it, it plays much better on a tablet.
I already have it on PC. Never play it though... was largely forgettable.
I think so too. Buy a game for a cosmetic in 4 is probably not a great idea.
Well to be fair it is discounted!

I just get bored looking at the same guns over and over. Like in BF4 they have like 100 different camos and I'm constantly changing through them. Makes things interesting

Mistel

Banned

I just get bored looking at the same guns over and over. Like in BF4 they have like 100 different camos and I'm constantly changing through them. Makes things interesting
Is it really worth double dipping just to get a weapon skin for a game that you don't really play?

Karl2177

I'm also assuming whatever it is they want to do with multiplayer would be built around dedis - it wouldn't make much sense to have a peer-hosted variant of multiplayer if you've built your game around the bandwidth and processing power of being able to move the hosting server off of the client box.

Makes me wonder how LAN will be handled. Possible cut?

I already have it on PC. Never play it though... was largely forgettable.

Hey, I bought Crackdown just to play in the Halo 3 beta, so $5 for a Halo stick shooter isn't terrible.

FYC

Banned
So next weekend sounds like it's gonna be pretty fun with Heavies and Multi-team...

I would play Halo 2 on Live over any other... if I got host every time.

Yup, looking forward to Heavies. I really like Ninja Assassins, glad it might stick around.

FyreWulff

Makes me wonder how LAN will be handled. Possible cut?

If the game is built around being run on a dedi, then LAN is about dead. You'd have to have a central Xbox One to act as the server for LANs (Some OXbox titles actually let you run one OXbox as a dedi for a LAN)

Welfare

Going to dedicate my first post on Gaf here.

Hey Halo(4)GAF!

Maybe I can play with people that know how to play Halo now.

Edit: Well then, sorry. Guess I'll wait for the Halo community thread.

It should. Everything would be done by the servers provided by 343, not an individual player.

Uhmm that'd be very nice, specially for Megalo.

There's a Megalo condition check in H4 (I think it's also in Reach) to know if a player just pressed a button, you can check the button pressed and assign a different action to each one.

You could technically make custom triggers to open doors, lift bridges and things like that, even make your own custom armor abilities by temporally manipulating the player traits set of that player...

PROBLEM IS the condition is extremely sloppy due to it only working for the host so itis too bound to failures :(

Frankie will future halo titles use Megalo or a modified version of it, I just want to kwow already!? I'll take extra cryptic responses if it's needed.

Edit: there are some Megalo special effects which can also only be viewed by the host player, fortunately this can be fixed by running the conditions check locally instead, Rush Slayer suffers from this and is something I'll get to address soon, hopefully.

Karl2177

If the game is built around being run on a dedi, then LAN is about dead. You'd have to have a central Xbox One to act as the server for LANs (Some OXbox titles actually let you run one OXbox as a dedi for a LAN)
Star Wars Battlefront was like that. The box that was acting as a dedi couldn't be played on. Which then meant that you had to have an extra box and extra copy of the game.

Uhmm that'd be very nice, specially for Megalo.

There's a Megalo condition check in H4 (I think it's also in Reach) to know if a player just pressed a button, you can check the button pressed and assign a different action to each one.

You could technically make custom triggers to open doors, lift bridges and things like that, even make your own custom armor abilities by temporally manipulating the player traits set of that player...

PROBLEM IS the condition is extremely sloppy due to it only working for the host so itis too bound to failures :(

Frankie will future halo titles use Megalo or a modified version of it, I just want to kwow already!? I'll take extra cryptic responses if it's needed.

Edit: there are some Megalo special effects which can also only be viewed by the host player, fortunately this can be fixed by running the conditions check locally instead, Rush Slayer suffers from this and is something I'll get to address soon, hopefully.

incoming Delta Halo "if I were a megalomaniac - and I'm not - that's where I'd be" response from frankles.

Star Wars Battlefront was like that. The box that was acting as a dedi couldn't be played on. Which then meant that you had to have an extra box and extra copy of the game.

Still, I think it is a perfectly acceptable solution. So long as the capability is there at launch. LAN would matter to a significant amount of people you would think.

Booties

Banned
Dedis would mean whoever is closest to the servers will have the least ping though. Those people would have slight advantages.

Chettlar

Banned
Going to dedicate my first post on Gaf here.

Hey Halo(4)GAF!

Maybe I can play with people that know how to play Halo now.

Edit: Well then, sorry. Guess I'll wait for the Halo community thread.

Lol. You're fine. Welcome!

Pls be a good junior and don't get banned. We've been having a lot of that lately and it makes me sad.

One wrong move and poof, you're gone, so be good. :)

Frank, will Halo Xbox One support system link/ LAN?

Does anyone know if any Xbox One games support LAN?

If it doesn't, there will be hell to pay. I said, HELL TO PAY.

No seriously I will be so mad if that isn't supported. I will eat a child.

Um... Why couldn't LAN be different? For online multiplayer have the server be dedicated. For LAN, have one of the boxes be a host. I don't see the problem with that.

The Flash

Banned

Pls be a good junior and don't get banned. We've been having a lot of that lately and it makes me sad.

Also, before you post something, sit back and ask yourself this; "How can I make this post a little less douche?".

belushy

Banned
*Halo 4 talk*

Off topic: Murder Miners PC beta MIGHT be starting next week. Have no idea about any details, like if it is an open beta or not. Just thought some of you'd like to know.

FyreWulff

Um... Why couldn't LAN be different? For online multiplayer have the server be dedicated. For LAN, have one of the boxes be a host. I don't see the problem with that.

Hosting the game has CPU overhead for the host in multiplayer games. If you build the game around a neutral server taking care of the processing, then you actually don't have the CPU left to run the server, either on Live or LAN.

For Halo 2 onwards, on LAN you're essentially running the same netcode as Live matches. Someone is the host, everyone else's client boxes use client prediction, etc. Since you have near-zero packet loss and ping though, it runs super smooth.

Welfare

Oh, I know. I've been lurking Gaf for a while.

Booties post did scare me at first though, then Stinkles basically slayed me from a laughing fit.

But any way, Halo 4. Heavies should just be in Big Team, and I don't like the fact that the stand-alone Heavies playlist will have the Castle maps, and Big Team still doesn't. Change this please Frank :(

Booties

Banned
Oh, I know. I've been lurking Gaf for a while.

Booties post did scare me at first though, then Stinkles basically slayed me from a laughing fit.

But any way, Halo 4. Heavies should just be in Big Team, and I don't like the fact that the stand-alone Heavies playlist will have the Castle maps, and Big Team still doesn't. Change this please Frank :(

I was joking.

Top Bottom