• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yes, please post your PSP's current set up, CFW, popsloader plugin (if applicable), what you used to rip the ISO, and what you used to convert your eboots.

Crayon

I'm suprised at how excited everyone is. =O

I was listening to bombast today and they went around asking how ecited everyone was for the 2.4. And I thought to myself that I would say something like a 2 on a scale of ten.

I havn't even updated yet!

I don't play online alot, that's probably part of it. But seen how cumbersome the lack of in game messaging was. That was pretty bad I guess.

Schrade

Crayon said:
I'm suprised at how excited everyone is. =O

I was listening to bombast today and they went around asking how ecited everyone was for the 2.4. And I thought to myself that I would say something like a 2 on a scale of ten.

I havn't even updated yet!

I don't play online alot, that's probably part of it. But seen how cumbersome the lack of in game messaging was. That was pretty bad I guess.
You're in the wrong thread, dude.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Version 2 of the PSP savestates plugin is now up. I still haven't had the time to try this.

Changelist:
PspStates Experiment v2 for PSP SLIM
------------------------------------
Changes in V2:
-------------

- Fixed important bug in inter-thread code (semaphore wasn't waiting due to interrupts disabled), that caused the load state to not be completely read in some cases. This caused black screen after state load (unless you just saved that state, in this case state was still in ram), or even worse, game not working properly due to partial load.

- Added states per game basis. The controls are slightly different: old controls now do a local
savestate/loadstate of the game, while pressing additionally select button will save/load
a global state. See instructions for more info.

- Fixed bug that caused normal sleep mode waking up inmediately.

- UMD discs and isos in normal UMD mode are now supported. However, they require to nullify umdcache, by flashing one file, read the instructions below.

http://dark-alex.org/

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
As mejilan mentioned, this is very much a work in progress so beware in installing it.

Once it perfected, it'll be time to sell my phat and upgrade to the new Slim model.

GasMan

Sorry to continually pester you guys but I have one more question about Metal Gear Solid.

Got the multidisc eboot put together and no sound issues or stuttering anywhere so I'm delighted, however... the switch disc option is greyed out in the Home menu. Will this be enabled when I come to the time to utilise the option or should it be available from scratch?

(Currently using 3.71 Pops and running on 4.01 m33-2.)

navanman said:
As mejilan mentioned, this is very much a work in progress so beware in installing it.

Once it perfected, it'll be time to sell my phat and upgrade to the new Slim model.

WAITWAITWAIT... SaveState is Slim-Only? I still use my phat more than slim... and I'd have to keep it anyway until D_A fixes the whole "PSP UMD USB can't connect to a mac" bit for DaxDumper...

navanman

Yes you are correct, the option will only be active when a disk change is requested by the game.
I meant to say yesterday that 3.71 POPS works perfect for me too with single MGS EBOOT. Mines a PAL copy though if that makes any difference.

Dragona Akehi said:
WAITWAITWAIT... SaveState is Slim-Only? I still use my phat more than slim... and I'd have to keep it anyway until D_A fixes the whole "PSP UMD USB can't connect to a mac" bit for DaxDumper...

I guess it uses the extra 32MB of flash space on Slim PSP to store the save states.

GasMan

Cheers navanman. Didn't want to sink the time into it if it ends up not appearing. Looks like I eventually figured it out along with all the assistance you guys have given in this thread. Much obliged gents.

navanman said:
I guess it uses the extra 32MB of flash space on Slim PSP to store the save states.

That makes sense. I was wondering when some CFW features would become Slim only. Oh well, it'll just give me impetus to hurry up and get an 8GB card for the Slim and start using it as my main unit. Especially if/when D_A gets savestates to work with POPS.

Nemesis_

Can anyone help me out?

I just upgraded to 4.01 M33-2, and I noticed my POPstation plugin was gone. Is this required to run PSX games? If not, then I still have a problem.

Whenever I try to load ANY game, it just goes black and doesn't work. Can anyone help me out to "reset" my POPS installation?

BlacKMaRK

Banned
i just received my tool battery and followed the steps(using totalnewbieasyinstaller) to put custom firmware on it but the IPL loader thing never installs. i always get an error saying it didnt install and when i put in the tool battery, nothing happens. what im a doing wrong?

Mejilan

Nemesis556 said:
I just upgraded to 4.01 M33-2, and I noticed my POPstation plugin was gone. Is this required to run PSX games? If not, then I still have a problem.

Whenever I try to load ANY game, it just goes black and doesn't work. Can anyone help me out to "reset" my POPS installation?

I imagine that a version of POPSLoader compatible with 4.01 M33 is on its way. It's the primary reason I haven't updated yet. Without POPSLoader, the only way to "reset" it would be to downgrade back to an older CFW.

Mejilan said:
Yes, please post your PSP's current set up, CFW, popsloader plugin (if applicable), what you used to rip the ISO, and what you used to convert your eboots.

PSP Slim
4 GIG Sandisk MS
CFW 3.90 M33-3
How do I tell the version of popsloader that I have. I believe I installed it around 3.8 CFW. It lists up to version 3.72 in the versions available.
All the tools you listed which were downloaded from the links you supplied in the tutorial to create the eboot.

Okay, I'm tired of excessive loading times and I'm ready to start copying my UMD games to flash memory.

How reliable are those microSDHC -> memstick adapters? Anyone have any experience or horror stories about them. I'm looking for the cheapest route to 8GB, and this seems to be much cheaper than buying an 8GB memory stick. But I'd rather not waste my time and money if they have a bad reputation. Is this a good idea, or should I just spend the extra cash on an 8GB memory stick?

Maybe this has been answered before, but I've searched this massive thread, and haven't come up with anything that answers the question.

minor effort said:
Okay, I'm tired of excessive loading times and I'm ready to start copying my UMD games to flash memory.

How reliable are those microSDHC -> memstick adapters? Anyone have any experience or horror stories about them. I'm looking for the cheapest route to 8GB, and this seems to be much cheaper than buying an 8GB memory stick. But I'd rather not waste my time and money if they have a bad reputation. Is this a good idea, or should I just spend the extra cash on an 8GB memory stick?

Maybe this has been answered before, but I've searched this massive thread, and haven't come up with anything that answers the question.
funny you should say this... i'll tell you on monday.

i've got a 4GB and 8GB MicroSD arrving around then.

(the one i the pic i use in my phone so i didn't want to muck around)

dxl5le.jpg

BlacKMaRK

Banned
ok i now have cfw 4.01m33-2 on my psp phat.

can someone help me get the psx, gba, and snes emulators up an running??

ive been trying but i cant seem to get them to work right. im using s9xTYL snes emulator.

i copied the s9xTYL.0.4.2 and s9xTYL.0.4.2% into the game150 folder but the s9xTYL.0.4.2 folder just shows up as corrupted data while the other shows up fine. i can run the program but after starting ill get error code 8002014c.
any help?

GasMan said:
Sorry to continually pester you guys but I have one more question about Metal Gear Solid.

Got the multidisc eboot put together and no sound issues or stuttering anywhere so I'm delighted, however... the switch disc option is greyed out in the Home menu. Will this be enabled when I come to the time to utilise the option or should it be available from scratch?

(Currently using 3.71 Pops and running on 4.01 m33-2.)
Congrats on getting everything up and running. MGS for me stutters during the Codec sequences, not everytime, but often. Its not enough to wreck the game, but it would be nice if it wasn't there.

I believe the option becomes enabled when you need to actually switch the disc.

SS4Rob

I'm still on 3.71 M33-4 and while I want to update to take advantage of the new features like... uh Google search I think I'm going to hold off a little longer. Issues with fatmod still seem to exist and my phat does everything I want it to do including playing Crisis Core, MGSPO, MGS1 and DQ(W)7.
I do want to update but I just haven't been compelled to do it... yet.

for reference purposes: SanDisk Gaming Memory Stick PRO Duo 2GB (SDMSG-2048-A10)

12674lk.jpg

blackspeed results with the microSDHC -> ProDuo adapter:

14ax8ax.jpg

334lvdj.jpg

hvw4ko.jpg

the verdict is plain to see
read speed: not so hot
write speed: pretty good

you want read speed to be good so eh...

also, magicgate = unknown.

BitchTits

SS4Rob said:
I'm still on 3.71 M33-4 and while I want to update to take advantage of the new features like... uh Google search I think I'm going to hold off a little longer. Issues with fatmod still seem to exist and my phat does everything I want it to do including playing Crisis Core, MGSPO, MGS1 and DQ(W)7.
I do want to update but I just haven't been compelled to do it... yet.
Same here. I'm on 3.71 m33-4 on a phat, and I like to keep up with CFW, it just seems there's always been some issue since 3.71 that's stopped me doing so. I hope they continue to support the phat!

Is it possible yet to put custom firmware on a slim PSP (3.90 official firmware) without the pandora battery stuff? Just using the PSP and a memory stick? I want CFW but not enough to make that effort, I've been putting it off and it's hard to catch up on all the information and developments I've been ignoring.

revolverjgw said:
Is it possible yet to put custom firmware on a slim PSP (3.90 official firmware) without the pandora battery stuff? Just using the PSP and a memory stick? I want CFW but not enough to make that effort, I've been putting it off and it's hard to catch up on all the information and developments I've been ignoring.
no.

if there was an easier or more convenient way, why would people go thru the hassle of making or buying a pandora battery?

Dot50Cal

Banned
So its been a while since I played my Slim PSP, but I was wondering if its possible to play my ripped PS1 games with it? A while back I heard it was only for the older model PSP's, but has that changed? I ask because I'll be getting up custom title screens/video icons for my website and need to know if I can even test this stuff out before letting it go live.

Mod Note: I'm talking about custom backgrounds that pop up when you hover over your ps1 game, I wont be providing the ISO's, obviously.

navanman

Yes, all PSPs including Slim can play PSX games with no issues. At the moment, there is no POPSloader plugin for 4.01 M33-2 CFW, so if you really want to play PSX games, I would stick to 3.71 M33-4 or 3.90 M33-2.

Mejilan has links to custom EBOOTS, icons in the OP, I think..

Kayma

I really just wanted to give a big e-round of applause to navanman and Mejilan for their posts and guides. I just now got Chrono Cross to work on my 3.90M33-2 thanks to the OP (and to Google for setting up the POPSloader, which only took just a bit of clawing and gnashing of teeth).

Thanks guys! Custom firmware is made of love and happiness.

So is there an ETA on when we might be seeing the Popsloader plugin for 4.01 M33-2? I decided I wanted to try Dragon Quest VII a few days ago, and in the process, updated to 4.01 M33-2, only to realize I made a mistake when no Popsloader is available.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I saw some people on the exophase forums 4.01 M33-2 thread saying they're using Popsloader 3.80 Version 2 with it. I've upgraded to 4.01 M33-2, tested it and it does work. Been playing Chrono Cross with no issues.

Nemesis_

Mr. Wonderful said:
So is there an ETA on when we might be seeing the Popsloader plugin for 4.01 M33-2? I decided I wanted to try Dragon Quest VII a few days ago, and in the process, updated to 4.01 M33-2, only to realize I made a mistake when no Popsloader is available.
Me too =(

Cynar

Mr. Wonderful said:

I'm using 3.80 popsloader and it works fine with 4.01 M33-2.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The Faceless Master said:
read speed: not so hot
write speed: pretty good
It's the adapter limitation though (if you put a sandisk microSD through an official adapter or built-in slot, it runs around 20/15MB/s). Which probably means it's only a matter of time before future adapters get faster.

you want read speed to be good so eh...
Peak transfers are largely irrelevant when it comes to ISOs. Anything 2MB or higher sustained(this is key though) will max-out pretty much any game, and the seek-times(or lack of thereof) are the real reason why load-times get faster.

The issue is the sustained rate. Cheap Flash media IIRC often drops into Kbytes with short bursts, which has been known to cause issues with post 3.8 drivers.

Anyway, if you can't live without e-Penis benchmark scores but still want to save some $, your best bet is SanDisk M2(up to 8GB) - it's priced lower then Duos (but higher then SDHC), comes with a Duo adapter that doesn't artificially limit its speed, and supports MagicGate as well.

homez99

If anyone on 3.90m33-3 is dubious of going up to 4.01m33-2, I can confirm that everything works fine on the new firmware, even fatmspatch version 2 if you use an unencrypted fatmsmod.prx, be warned though, the encrypted version of the prx will brick your PSP and you'll have to Pandora it, so step carefully. Don't forget to go into recovery after installing the new firmware and enabling all your old plugins too, I forgot and tried to run MGS, which didn't end well. The 3.80 version of the popsloader program works fine, as does all the homebrew I've tried for 3.xx firmware, so go crazy.

Alaluef said:
I saw some people on the exophase forums 4.01 M33-2 thread saying they're using Popsloader 3.80 Version 2 with it. I've upgraded to 4.01 M33-2, tested it and it does work. Been playing Chrono Cross with no issues.

hmm...

i just might update then.

Fafalada said:
It's the adapter limitation though (if you put a sandisk microSD through an official adapter or built-in slot, it runs around 20/15MB/s). Which probably means it's only a matter of time before future adapters get faster.

Peak transfers are largely irrelevant when it comes to ISOs. Anything 2MB or higher sustained(this is key though) will max-out pretty much any game, and the seek-times(or lack of thereof) are the real reason why load-times get faster.

The issue is the sustained rate. Cheap Flash media IIRC often drops into Kbytes with short bursts, which has been known to cause issues with post 3.8 drivers.

Anyway, if you can't live without e-Penis benchmark scores but still want to save some $, your best bet is SanDisk M2(up to 8GB) - it's priced lower then Duos (but higher then SDHC), comes with a Duo adapter that doesn't artificially limit its speed, and supports MagicGate as well.
yeah, i'm totally aware that the adapter is the bottleneck.

the 4GB is for my camera, and the 8GB is for videos so the results don't actually matter to me, what matters is even with the adapters, they cost less than Pro Duo.

i posted the results as a reference for others.

Mejilan

Wait, the 3.80 POPSLoader and v2 fatmsmod patch all work with 4.01 M33? I might have to update after all, then! Hmmmm...

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I'm having a helluva time trying to get my multidisc PS1 games to work on my Psp slim, using 3.95 m33-2 and the 3.80 popsloader, any easy suggestions? (the discs work individually, but the unit just black-screens and locks up immediately after the psp-ps1 warning). Main game in question is Xenogears (which my ps2 destroyed my ps1 savegames already, so it won't go into there ever again!)

navanman

3.95 M33 isn't a CFW by Dark Alex or a M33 CFW. I have no idea of its reliability or use with PSX games.
I would recommend upgrading to 4.01 M33-2 or using Pandora to downgrade to 3.90 M33-5.

SS4Rob

Mejilan said:
Wait, the 3.80 POPSLoader and v2 fatmsmod patch all work with 4.01 M33? I might have to update after all, then! Hmmmm...

Keep us (me?) posted if you decide to do the deed - I'm in the same boat as you as I've been holding back due to fatmsmod issues but if this is true (along with pops) then I don't have a reason NOT to update!

What was the latest firmware that could be hacked without using Pandora's battery? 3.90? 3.95? My buddy just got a slim and I showed him my DW(Q)7 / MGS1 / MMPU / NES,SNES,GBC / etc goodness and he wants the same.

I hope D_A decides to do a 4.05 upgrade as it seems significant with Sony TV and Movie support. The PSP has really come far since my Japanese 1.00 days, heh.

Tideas

Banned
Mr. Wonderful said:

when was DQ7 re-released on the PSP?

Top Bottom