• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The PopStationMD program rocks. I remember when all this first came out and we all had to go through the trouble of creating separate Eboots for each disk, no compression and stuff like that. I love how everything has matured rather quickly.

I was playing Star Ocean 2 on my PS3 but ended up wanting to play it on my PSP. Now I've got both Star Ocean 2 disks in one eboot file.

BlueTsunami said:
The PopStationMD program rocks. I remember when all this first came out and we all had to go through the trouble of creating separate Eboots for each disk, no compression and stuff like that. I love how everything has matured rather quickly.

I was playing Star Ocean 2 on my PS3 but ended up wanting to play it on my PSP. Now I've got both Star Ocean 2 disks in one eboot file.

Does anyone know a better option for OSX other than PrometusPro (which is defunct)?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Dragona, can't Bootcamp or Parallels or something work for you? I thought the the PC/Mac problem had been bridged in the past year or so, or is that only with the newer Intel-based Macs?

BlueTsunami said:

POPStationMD wasn't my first choice for conversion, but there IS a reason why I pimp it these days. It's a grand old program.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Glad i waited, just ordered a 8gb sandisk gaming pro duo, for the same price i bought my 2gb like 2 years ago, lolz

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I would just like to say that my PSP Slim is showing signs of Nintendo hardware strength. The damn thing has been through two soakings of liquid - one via noodle soup I spilled everywhere whilst drunk, the other with water. Have to admit it's been through hell and back but everytime something happens to it, it just seems to get up off the ropes stronger than before.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NameGenerated said:
I'm still running at 3.90 M33-3, any particular reason to upgrade right now?

This. Although I'm running 3.71. It looks like old firmware is still the most stable for PS1 games?

mandiller

I just bought an 8GB Sandisk Ultra-II memory card for AUS$103, which is damn cheap!

It's a really excellent card, very fast write speeds and the extra space is a godsend.

Zorglub

dalin80

Banned
Ok I made another thread on this but got moaned at as this thread exists-

quick note- I have no idea what half of the things in the OP even stand for. I have read it yet iam now simply more confused. The first paragraph alone makes no sense to me. cfw? m33? m33-2?

Is it possible to add to a PSP's game catalogue with homebrew either in the way of homemade games or emulators/roms of old consoles?

Are there any noob guides. I have a PSP slim with what i think is version 3.90.

sholmes

Neo Member
Guys, I'm running 3.90 m33-3 and would like to update to 4.01 m33-2 but I'm concerned about this:

if you're sporting a relatively modern CFW (3.80 M33 or higher), you can simply use the M33 Network Update. Unless you disabled the M33 Network Update in your Recovery Console

Can someone explain how I can make sure I didn't disable this? I don't remember when I had the option to do it or what I would have had to do to disable it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
sholmes said:
Guys, I'm running 3.90 m33-3 and would like to update to 4.01 m33-2 but I'm concerned about this:

Can someone explain how I can make sure I didn't disable this? I don't remember when I had the option to do it or what I would have had to do to disable it.

Fully shutdown your PSP and hold the R shoulder button when you power it back up (the instant you power it up). It should take you into the Recover Mode. Go into Configuration and I believe its in there.

sholmes

Neo Member
BlueTsunami said:
Fully shutdown your PSP and hold the R shoulder button when you power it back up (the instant you power it up). It should take you into the Recover Mode. Go into Configuration and I believe its in there.

Excellent. It's enabled so I'm all set to go. Thank you very much.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dalin80 said:
quick note- I have no idea what half of the things in the OP even stand for. I have read it yet iam now simply more confused. The first paragraph alone makes no sense to me. cfw? m33? m33-2?

Custom firmware.
M33 is the organization that releases the custom firmware.
-<x> is the release number of the given version.

So 4.01 M33-2 would mean the stock 4.01 firmware converted into custom firmware by M33, and it's their second release of this.

Is it possible to add to a PSP's game catalogue with homebrew either in the way of homemade games or emulators/roms of old consoles?

Yes.

Finish reading the first post. Below the release list for the current CFW is a tutorial on how to modify your PSP, followed by an idiot-proof tutorial on how to modify your PSP.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
dalin80 said:

In still a bit confused by your post but I'll try my best.
CFW=Custom Firmware
M33=Name of Custom Firmware that Dark_Alex has developed for PSP.
M33-2=Incremental patches to each iteration of CFW. So CFW based on Sony 4.01FW has had 2 releases, 4.01 M33 & 4.01 M33-2.

Can you clarify this one? Do you want to program your own PSP homebrew games, emulators or just play them on your PSP?

First step, is you need to actually mod your PSP and install CFW on it, all of the details to do this are in the OP.

LuCkymoON

Banned
dalin80 said:

if you google darkalex wiki you will find the answers you need.

Hey guys, I know you are probably absolutely sick of these newbie questions, but I would appreciate an answer.

I am just about to pull the trigger and buy a Daxter PSP pack, but I would like CFW on it. The first post guide titled "How to downgrade, install CFW on ANY PSP using Datel TOOL and TotalNewbieEasyInstaller:" basically says that the only thing I will need to have in addition to my PSP is a normal memory stick and a DATEL TOOL battery. This is contradictory to everything I have read up until now, as I thought you needed a Magic Memory Stick created by a CFW PSP in addition to all I listed above. Could someone confirm that if I buy the Daxter pack, all I will need in addition is the Datel TOOL to get CFW running on this thing?

Mejilan

You can create a magic memory stick using just your PC.

Typically, you'd need a CFW-enabled PSP to soft-mod a stock PSP battery to turn it into a Pandora. Or, you could always hardware mod it, but that's tricky. A Datel TOOL Battery is basically already modded for you. So you can just use the PC software to create a magic memory stick and "pair" it to your Datel TOOL Battery.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
pissmypants said:
Hey guys, I know you are probably absolutely sick of these newbie questions, but I would appreciate an answer.

I am just about to pull the trigger and buy a Daxter PSP pack, but I would like CFW on it. The first post guide titled "How to downgrade, install CFW on ANY PSP using Datel TOOL and TotalNewbieEasyInstaller:" basically says that the only thing I will need to have in addition to my PSP is a normal memory stick and a DATEL TOOL battery. This is contradictory to everything I have read up until now, as I thought you needed a Magic Memory Stick created by a CFW PSP in addition to all I listed above. Could someone confirm that if I buy the Daxter pack, all I will need in addition is the Datel TOOL to get CFW running on this thing?

To elaborate on or I guess break out what Mejilan said, to mod a PSP you need
1) A magic memory stick; nothing extra required.
2) A special battery.

There are three ways to make a special battery:
1) Buy one pre-made (Datel tool battery)
2) Soft-mod one using a pre-modded PSP
3) Hard-mod one by breaking open your battery and fooling around with it.

At this point, which guide you follow depends on which method you used to get the special battery.

sholmes

Neo Member
Guys, I just want to make sure, I downloaded the 4.01 update using the M33 update tool in the PSP, but when I go to install it, it's asking me to accept the typical Sony user agreement. Is accepting the Sony user agreement a normal part when updating from custom firmware to custom firmware?

aznpxdd

Alright, so I've been out of the loop for awhile now, still on M33 3.73-3 I think. Are there any real benefits from updating to 4.01?

Mejilan

aznpxdd said:
Alright, so I've been out of the loop for awhile now, still on M33 3.73-3 I think. Are there any real benefits from updating to 4.01?

There are always benefits to upgrading. If nothing else, you'll benefit from increased PSP game compatibility, let alone what ever features added to the PSOne emulator and the PSP itself. DAX occasionally adds features of his own as well.

Mejilan

Garbage, I hear. In some senses anyway. I think you'll find more details in this thread, a page or two back.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
sholmes said:
Update went fine. Thanks everybody for keeping up with this thread and answering calls for help.
I thought the updater would only update the M33-2 part, not whole firmwares. So if I'm running 3.90 m33-2, I can safely upgrade to 4.01 using the updater as long as I have it set up in recovery? Now if only my popsloader would auto-update...

Mejilan said:
Garbage, I hear. In some senses anyway. I think you'll find more details in this thread, a page or two back.
on paper the read speed looks bad, not so much in practice...
M3wThr33 said:
Something about not able to read CSO files. AWESOME!
totally untrue.
Mutagenic said:
I thought the updater would only update the M33-2 part, not whole firmwares. So if I'm running 3.90 m33-2, I can safely upgrade to 4.01 using the updater as long as I have it set up in recovery? Now if only my popsloader would auto-update...
yep, it downloads whatever it needs to get to the latest CFW and then updates.

Mejilan

Mutagenic said:

M33 Network Update is pretty thorough, as far as firmware updates go. It won't take care of plugins, DAX's or otherwise, or optional patches (1.50 kernel, fatmsmod).

M3wThr33

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
totally untrue.

Zorglub said:
Well, I just bought an 8gB MicroSD Sandisk for my Custom Firmware 4.01 M33-2 for 25 euros (39 dollars) and it works fine too (It's just that PSP can only read the game in ISO (not in CSO for exemple))

???

Oh. Maybe he meant THAT PSP.

Anony

well, i'm not worried about write speed, because you can always get full speed using a sd/sdhc reader, the only hassle there is you have to take out the card everytime you wanna transfer something

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showpost.php?p=991773&postcount=106
i posted some transfer speeds tests here and it seems that the adapters have about same speed as a fake sony pro duo
it's actually very noticeable compared to the lexar pro duo, that's why i put all the things that doesnt require much loading ie music and videos

but hey, if i found a cheap 8gb microsd it's a good trade off because pro duos are relatively a lot more expensive

Danj

Anony said:
but hey, if i found a cheap 8gb microsd it's a good trade off because pro duos are relatively a lot more expensive

Right, but microSD cards don't have MagicGate, so you won't be able to use them for anything that needs DRM like PSN videos and stuff I would have thought.

jtardiou

Banned
Hey guys I'm BRAND new at this, could someone just make sure I am on the right track:

I just bought a used silver slim PSP that says v. 3.90

Do I follow this guide?

and buy this battery?

Are there downsides to modding your psp?
Can you still play legitimate PSP games?
Can you retract to factory settings (for whatever reason..)?
what does m33-2 mean?
Anything else I should know?

And most important, can you watch movies? I use my psp mostly for plane rides and I don't want to pay 20$ for movies I've ALREADY PURCHASED :mad:

kassatsu

Banned
jtardiou said:
Are there downsides to modding your psp?
Can you still play legitimate PSP games?
Can you retract to factory settings (for whatever reason..)?
what does m33-2 mean?
Anything else I should know?

And most important, can you watch movies? I use my psp mostly for plane rides and I don't want to pay 20$ for movies I've ALREADY PURCHASED :mad:

No.
Yes.
Yes.
m33 (releasegroup)-2(version 2 of the custom firmware)
Just ask if you have more questions

If you mean UMD Movies, of course. Custom Firmware only makes your psp better, it takes nothing away.

Mejilan

Can't access all of your links from work, but if you read the OP and at the last page or two of this thread, you'll have most of your questions answered.

There are no downsides to modding your PSP, assuming you can follow directions. You can still play legitimate games (way better than before), otherwise wtf would be the point? You can always downgrade back to official firmware if you feel the need. Can't imagine why anyone would want to go back to horribly slower load times and shittier framerates, however. Custom firmware supports a variety of movie formats, including but not limited to that supported by official firmwares. There are a bunch of video converter applications out there that come with pre-baked PSP output settings.

M33 = the team that creates the best custom firmwares.
Thus, 4.01 M33 is the Team M33-customized version of official 4.01.
4.01 M33-2 is the second revision (with bug fixes) of 4.01 M33.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Edit: Never mind, pretty sure I got figured it out. Just one question. A magic memory stick is made with my PC correct?

Grayman

I bought crisis core and have a question before I start playing it. I have a fat on one of the M33s(forgot which) what should I set the cpu speed to? CC is one of the games that dynamically changes on sony fw like god of war isn't it?

Flunkie

Banned
Flunkie said:
I haven't been keeping up with the custom themes for the PSP lately, but holy crap at some of these.. they look great!

themepackposter.png

releasekl1.png

gt5ctfcxmb4xna7.jpg

Souther

Banned
I have a Slim psp..But its FW is @ 4.05. I just have the stock battery. I guess there is nothing i can do right.

To be honest. The amount of stuff you have to go through these days to put custom FW on the psp is crazy! I remember back in the day of 1.50 how freakin easy it was to mod it.

kiryogi

Banned
Hrm, are themes for slims only? Finally made the leap to 4.01 last week for Phantasy Star, but I haven't really messed around with it outside of that.

eznark

Banned
I hate asking questions in here because I know it has been answered, but how do you add themes? I'm rocking 4.01 M33

Top Bottom