• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Erebus

I also experience major slowdowns when I play GoW from my Sony 4GB Memory Stick. The thing is that the slowdowns appeared once I upgraded to 4.01 M33-2, I'm pretty sure they weren't there before.

I tried reformatting my MS but nothing changed. :(

And for those asking, I use .iso not .cso

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
DarkUSS said:
I also experience major slowdowns when I play GoW from my Sony 4GB Memory Stick.
I also had slowdowns while playing GoW in .iso format with that same memory stick but after converting it to .cso it ran flawlessly. I get better results using .cso with some games.

atomsk

Party Pooper
prodystopian said:
I'm thinking about getting a GoW bundle PSP, but was reading in the PSP-3000 thread that it is possible that I could get a unit that can not get CFW even with the Pandora battery. Is that just FUD?

i had a friend well versed in these things who bought the GoW as his second PSP and could not get it working at all.

atomsk said:
i had a friend well versed in these things who bought the GoW as his second PSP and could not get it working at all.

Damn, that is disappointing to hear. Anyone know of anyone that has got one to work with CFW?

Miburou

prodystopian said:
I'm thinking about getting a GoW bundle PSP, but was reading in the PSP-3000 thread that it is possible that I could get a unit that can not get CFW even with the Pandora battery. Is that just FUD?

I have a GoW PSP, and although I have not installed CFW on it, I did try a pandora with it, and got to the menu that prompts you to install FW, CF, or quit.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
A couple of things:

Games that stream heavily off the UMD perform worse as CSOs than ISOs, typically.
If you're running the game as an ISO and are still experiencing problems, you might need to look into the fatmsmod patch, available on Dark-Alex's website. The newest version he's got up was created for 3.80 M33/3.90 M33, but if you install it carefully, it'll work just fine on 4.01 M33. Just make sure to use a decrypted PRX. Otherwise you'll brick your PSP.

Pandora-proof batteries aren't really new. And they aren't much of a barrier in any event, since you can still make do with older batteries or third party Pandoras.

The newest thing seems to be a revised Slim mobo that, for now, defeats Pandoras. If I'm not mistaken, Dark-Alex has indicated that it will be possible to circumvent this new protection. I don't think he's had much time or inclination to look very deeply into it, for now. They might have to come up with a new IPL specifically for this new mobo.

I do not know of any way to tell which bundles have the new mobo. Chances are, the newer the bundle, the worse your chances.

manzo

spindoc said:
God of War just runs better off the UMD, its known. Any game that actively streams from the UMD exhibits the same symptoms.

Oh damn. :(

Spiegel said:
Are you playing .iso or .cso?

I don't remember having loading problems with my GoW iso

.cso, it lags even more with .iso.

Mejilan said:
A couple of things:

Games that stream heavily off the UMD perform worse as CSOs than ISOs, typically.
If you're running the game as an ISO and are still experiencing problems, you might need to look into the fatmsmod patch, available on Dark-Alex's website. The newest version he's got up was created for 3.80 M33/3.90 M33, but if you install it carefully, it'll work just fine on 4.01 M33. Just make sure to use a decrypted PRX. Otherwise you'll brick your PSP.

I'm running on 4.01 M33-2, can I use the fix with this firmware? What's the fix for? Kinda weird though, the games perform way better when they're CSO.

So after hearing someone else's success with using the last version of POPS Loader with 4.01 M33-2, I went ahead and installed the plugin on my PSP for Dragon Quest VII. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work for me. After selecting a version of POPS, the screen would go black and it appeared as if nothing was loading off the Memory Stick. Now of course, there is the possibility that I did something wrong, though I don't think I did, considering to what point I got to before it decided not to work. That said, any idea if I might have done something wrong? Do I need the fatsmod patch for POPS Loader to work, by any chance?

Mejilan

^^
The same POPSLoader setup I was using with 3.90 M33 works fine for me now that I'm on 4.01 M33.

manzo said:
I'm running on 4.01 M33-2, can I use the fix with this firmware? What's the fix for? Kinda weird though, the games perform way better when they're CSO.

As of 3.80 official and up, Sony introduced a new memory stick driver which is largely shit. Dark-Alex's fatmsmod patch basically replaces the new memory stick driver with that of 3.71 official.

Basically, once it's properly installed (it's a bit trickier on 4.01 M33 than it was with 3.80/3.90 M33), your memory stick access times should go back to what they were with 3.71/3.71 M33.

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in the thread already....but 63 pages? damn!

I have a psp - 2000 and want to add custom firmware. I'm waiting for 4.05 to be released. do I need a pandora battery to install the cfw or will it just install. I"m not downgrading or unbricking or anything like that.

Mejilan

No problem. You do realize that you actually have to circumvent the system's security measures before doing whatever the hell you want with it, right? Sony didn't create an open platform.

Mejilan said:
No problem. You do realize that you actually have to circumvent the system's security measures before doing whatever the hell you want with it, right? Sony didn't create an open platform.

No, i'm in the dark about psp modding. i've been so spoiled with the ease of DS homebrew i just figured it was easy :lol

Miburou

Sorry if this has been answered already, but is it possible/easy to go back to official FW from 4.01 M33-2? I got a new PSP (slim) and want to install CFW on that and official FW on my modded fat PSP. The reason I want one of them to have official firmware is that I have not been able to transfer my PS1 games from the PS3 to the PSP.

linkboy

Miburou said:
Sorry if this has been answered already, but is it possible/easy to go back to official FW from 4.01 M33-2? I got a new PSP (slim) and want to install CFW on that and official FW on my modded fat PSP. The reason I want one of them to have official firmware is that I have not been able to transfer my PS1 games from the PS3 to the PSP.

Yep, just run the update.

Dark Alex used to prevent his firmware from being able to update to OF, but he removed it a while back.

MercuryLS

Banned
I need to go back to stock firmware but I keep getting an error (DADADADA) everytime I try to run the update software. I`m on 3.03 OE-A currently, if that helps.

linkboy

MercuryLS said:
I need to go back to stock firmware but I keep getting an error (DADADADA) everytime I try to run the update software. I`m on 3.03 OE-A currently, if that helps.

That's the error I'm referring to. Upgrade to 3.80 M33 (or higher) and you will be able to switch over to official firmware.

MercuryLS

Banned
linkboy said:
That's the error I'm referring to. Upgrade to 3.80 M33 (or higher) and you will be able to switch over to official firmware.

I just did a search for that firmware and it doesn`t seem like I can directly update to that, I have to update to 2-3 more firmwares before I can get to that one. Boo-urns.

K' Dash

Can someone explain to me WHY my FFVIII EBOOT does NOT WORK, I recently started converting my PSX games to replay them in my PSP, but I got lazy and... you know.... get them somewhere else, I can't get a working EBOOT of FFVIII, the game loads, I can see the credits on the begining, but when I want to start a "NEW GAME" the screen stays black FOREVER, if anyone knows how can I make this work plase tell me :'(

Running on PSP PHAT, 4.01m33-2, kernel 1.50 add on 4.01, 3.80m33 popsloader (tried them all)...

Mejilan

^^
Stop downloading and rip/convert your own?

MercuryLS said:
I just did a search for that firmware and it doesn`t seem like I can directly update to that, I have to update to 2-3 more firmwares before I can get to that one. Boo-urns.

IIRC, you have to upgrade to 3.52 M33, then 3.52 M33-4, before you can gain access to any of the modern CFWs. Once at 3.52 M33-4, upgrade to anything 3.80 M33 or higher, and from there you should be able to install a modern OFW without issues.

eznark

Banned
K' Dash said:
Can someone explain to me WHY my FFVIII EBOOT does NOT WORK, I recently started converting my PSX games to replay them in my PSP, but I got lazy and... you know.... get them somewhere else, I can't get a working EBOOT of FFVIII, the game loads, I can see the credits on the begining, but when I want to start a "NEW GAME" the screen stays black FOREVER, if anyone knows how can I make this work plase tell me :'(

Running on PSP PHAT, 4.01m33-2, kernel 1.50 add on 4.01, 3.80m33 popsloader (tried them all)...

don't be so lazy? hard work pays off? etc...

toneroni

Can we play multidisc ps1 games on psp now? I wanna get through the Lunar series but don't have any time at home to play. Any help?
i've never ripped a ps1 game to psp also so i know nothing of pops etc. =\

Mejilan

See my tutorial. I've posted a stripped down version of the POPS tutorial directly into the OP, along with a link to the full tutorial, located in a separate post.

toneroni said:
Can we play multidisc ps1 games on psp now? I wanna get through the Lunar series but don't have any time at home to play. Any help?
i've never ripped a ps1 game to psp also so i know nothing of pops etc. =\

just a little fyi. lunar 2 hangs at the end of some fmv's. jumping around to a different pops should solve the problem if it does hang. it did for me.

Zoe

K' Dash said:

FFVIII is a pain in the ass. I initially went with other people's rips cause I knew there were issues and thought others would know how to deal with them better than me. In the end though, I still had to make my own rips. I must have ripped the second disc like three times with varying results before I finally just finished that disc with an emulator :(

Scarecrow

Hey all.

I'm trying to add firmware to my PSP for the first time, and I'm already running in to problems. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but it's not so obvious to me. I add the 4.01 M33 'update' to the game folder, but when I try to run it, it says the "game could not be started" and gives me the error code 80020148.

What am I overlooking? Any tips?

Mejilan

I've never had a UMD in the tray when upgrading firmwares. Never heard of such a thing, actually.

Did you put the UPGRADE folder into the GAME folder? That's how it needs to be set up.
Also, what firmware are you upgrading from?

Scarecrow

Mejilan said:
I've never had a UMD in the tray when upgrading firmwares. Never heard of such a thing, actually.

Did you put the UPGRADE folder into the GAME folder? That's how it needs to be set up.
Also, what firmware are you upgrading from?
I'm upgrading from 3.9. And, yes, I'm putting the UPDATE folder in the game folder.

Am I supposed to just put the UPDATE folder in, then try to run? (didn't work)
Or, am I supposed to put the UPDATE folder AND the official update [renamed 401.PBP], then try to run? (also didn't work)

Scarecrow

VicViper said:
You're not trying to "upgrade" to custom from official firmware, are you?
Yes, I am. I guess that's bad. As I mentioned, this is really my first shot at trying to screw around with my PSP.

homez99

Scarecrow said:
Yes, I am. I guess that's bad. As I mentioned, this is really my first shot at trying to screw around with my PSP.

Yeah you need a Pandora battery and magic memory stick to upgrade to custom firmware, outlined in Mejilan's OP. You can get a Datel TOOL battery and make a magic stick with your PC.

Mejilan

*shakes head*

I can understand not wanting to read through 30+/60+ pages of this thread, but at least read the freaking OP. You can't just install custom firmware on a regular PSP, as it's a closed system. You need to crack it first.

Hell, I'm pretty sure this was also asked and answered on this very page!

If nothing else, I'd think that you'd want to inform yourself a little before engaging in such acts, as you can destroy your PSP if you don't know what you're doing.

*shakes head again*

Scarecrow

Yeah, I've looked into this before. I was hoping beyond hope there was a way to so without having to go through the rigamarole of getting a Pandora battery. I really appreciate all the help, though. I'll be sure to check back with this thread when I finally properly equip myself with the items I need.

Also, in regards to magic memory sticks... I'm a little confused about them. Would I be able to make my 1 gig stick a mms, or is this something else I'd need to buy, like the battery?

Mejilan

If you don't have access to a pre-modded PSP or battery, you'll probably need to purchase some kind of Pandora-ready tool battery.

As for the magic memory stick, it should be a real (not fake) stick, and 256MBs to 4GBs, as a min and max, to be safe.

K' Dash

Zoe said:
FFVIII is a pain in the ass. I initially went with other people's rips cause I knew there were issues and thought others would know how to deal with them better than me. In the end though, I still had to make my own rips. I must have ripped the second disc like three times with varying results before I finally just finished that disc with an emulator :(

THAT SUCKS!, i just want to play THAT game, a friend lend me his eboot tested on 4.01m33-2, I'm downloading it right now, if this one doesn't work, I'll just play Monster Hunter 2....

Zoe

K' Dash said:
THAT SUCKS!, i just want to play THAT game, a friend lend me his eboot tested on 4.01m33-2, I'm downloading it right now, if this one doesn't work, I'll just play Monster Hunter 2....

I played the JP version, so you might have better luck. Lots of people talking about it online though, so just do some searching for more help.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
sorry if this has already been asked/confirmed/denied etc .. but can someone tell me whether the rumor of the new custom firmware supporting save states for all games on the slim PSP using the extra ram is true ?

mikeGFG

Banned
I remember updating A LONG time ago to 3.0 OE or something and I tried some of my old PSX games. A few didn't work, a few did.

Now I just updated to 4.01 M33 or whatever; does anyone if Valkyrie Profile for PSX will run properly, or should I just get the PSP version?

Cynar

Mike G.E.D. said:
I remember updating A LONG time ago to 3.0 OE or something and I tried some of my old PSX games. A few didn't work, a few did.

Now I just updated to 4.01 M33 or whatever; does anyone if Valkyrie Profile for PSX will run properly, or should I just get the PSP version?

I am not sure, it might. Some games still have issues for me like FF8 like freezing.

brosan123

So I searched through the thread and read what looked pertinent, but I'd like a more up-to-date opinion since 8GB cards are getting cheaper.

Is Lexar really that terrible? I've been collecting everything I'll need to do the CFW thing while my Dealextreme Pandora Battery is on the way, and I've picked up two sticks: A 4GB Sony Mark 2 for $37 from Beat Buy and a 8GB Lexar Platinum II I impulse purchased from Fry's Online for $48 with a $37 mail-in rebate (fantastic deal I think).

So am I gonna run into issues if I return that Sony stick and rely on the Lexar? I guess I know the answer but I'm really liking the fact that the Lexar is 11 bucks after rebate.

Top Bottom