• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
eznark said:
I hate asking questions in here because I know it has been answered, but how do you add themes? I'm rocking 4.01 M33

All of the fancy ones you see are flash RAM replacements. These can be quite risky and brick your PSP if installed incorrectly. They replace the PSP OS files in flash0 with customised versions.

Mejilan might know, but I think there is a plugin program that can load themes from MS hence saving potentially bricking your PSP.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I haven't flashed custom themes since 3.52 M33. CXMB is the plugin that allows many of the higher end custom themes to be run from the mem stick. I haven't fiddled with that since 3.40, I think...

Mejilan

I don't spend any significant amount of time actually IN the XMB, so I really don't much care what it looks like. That's why I dropped out of that particular scene. It was an occasionally amusing distraction when there wasn't too much to do with the PSP. That hasn't been an issue in a long time.

eznark

Banned
Mejilan said:
I don't spend any significant amount of time actually IN the XMB, so I really don't much care what it looks like. That's why I dropped out of that particular scene. It was an occasionally amusing distraction when there wasn't too much to do with the PSP. That hasn't been an issue in a long time.

no doubt. The ridiculous amount of PS1 RPG's i'm trying to find and play alone is staggering. Just got Dragon Quest VII!

Mejilan

Finished that one a few months ago. SO OMFG AWESOME. Never had the patience to finish it at home...

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
So I think I have it figured out. I have a PSP with OFW 4.05. To install CFW all I need to do in order a Datel Tool battery and follow this step by step correct?:

navanman said:
How to downgrade, install CFW on ANY PSP using Datel TOOL and TotalNewbieEasyInstaller:

Intro:
As an alternative to my other tutorial on installing CFW using UPMS, this tutorial will show you how to flash your PSP with CFW using a previously purchased Datel TOOL battery and Windows based program called TotalNewbieEasyInstaller.
Disclaimer: I don't have Vista OS, but I have read that the important part of this guide(IPL writing) doesn't work on Vista.

What you'll need:
- Your PSP, either original or Slim PSP.
- Memory Stick Pro Duo ranging in size from 128MB (minimum) to 4GB (maximum)

What to do:
1. Download the TotalNewbieEasyInstaller from QJ.net website here.
2. Extract the contents of the zip package to your desktop.
3. Run the "START.EXE" application.
4. Connect PSP to your PC using USB cable. (Take note of the letter your PC assigns to the PSP MS).
5. Press ENTER to format your PSP. Depending on the size of MS being used, this can take up to 5 minutes to complete.
6. Press ENTER to set the drive label and then Y at the next prompt to format MS again.
7. With USB connection active, remove MS from PSP, then disable USB connection by pressing "O". Press ENTER to continue to next step.
8. Insert MS card into PSP and wait till orange access light stops flashing and then activate USB connection. Press ENTER to continue to next step.
9. A menu will appear with 4 installation options. Choose "4. Universal Unbricker: 3.71 M33 Installer.
10. When installation has finished, the IPL loader screen will appear. Press "Y" to install.
11. Then press ENTER and ENTER to close the program.

How to use:
1. Turn off PSP and remove AC power supply.
2. Insert Datel TOOL battery.
3. DC V3 should load up giving option to flash to 3.71 M33, flash Sony 3.71FW or backup NAND.
4. Backup NAND with square [ ] and it will write NAND to your MS, you will need 32MB (original PSP) or 64MB (Slim PSP) of free space for this. Your PSP will power off after this.
5. Remove and insert Datel TOOL battery again and this time choose X to install 3.71 M33 CFW.

Save nanddump.bin in root of MS to your PC when you are finished for safe keeping, incase you brick your PSP one day.

Updating 3.71 M33 firmware:
3.71 M33-4 is the last update for 3.71 M33 firmwares and is extremely stable and bug-free so for newcomers to PSP CFW I would recommend it over the newer 3.80 M33-5.
1. Download the M33-4 update from Dark_Alex website.
2. Extract the contents and you should have a folder called UPDATE.
3. Connect PSP to PC using USB and copy the UPDATE folder to ms0:/PSP/GAME.
4. Browse to GAME / Memory Stick in XMB and run the M33-4 updater.

Installing 1.50FW (homebrew) addon:
WARNING: THIS IS FOR PHAT PSP ONLY, DO NOT RUN ON SLIM
1. Download the 1.5FW V2 addon from Dark_Alex website.
2. Extract the contents and you should see an UPDATE folder.
3. Connect PSP to PC using USB and copy the UPDATE folder to ms0:/PSP/GAME.
4. Copy the Sony 1.5FW called 150.PBP that we used to make UPMS to root of MS (ms0:)
5. Browse to GAME / Memory Stick in XMB and run the 1.50 V2 installer

Sorry if this is the ultimate noob question, I had a Fat at launch which I modded, but the CFW scene is so confusing these days. Thanks in advance.

eznark

Banned
Mejilan said:
Finished that one a few months ago. SO OMFG AWESOME. Never had the patience to finish it at home...

I'm about a third of the way through FF4 on the DS, and I want to finish that before starting up DQ (bout how long did it take you if you remember?)

Mejilan

Close to 150 hours on the clock. More if you consider that I rebooted and redid things plenty of times... That includes all of the post-endgame content.

eznark

Banned
Mejilan said:
Close to 150 hours on the clock. More if you consider that I rebooted and redid things plenty of times... That includes all of the post-endgame content.

considering where I do much of my PSP/DS gaming, I'm going to need to start eating a lot more mexican and indian food.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Ermac said:
So I think I have it figured out. I have a PSP with OFW 4.05. To install CFW all I need to do in order a Datel Tool battery and follow this step by step correct?:

Sorry if this is the ultimate noob question, I had a Fat at launch which I modded, but the CFW scene is so confusing these days. Thanks in advance.

Use this updated guide and you can get the battery for cheaper from DealExtreme.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
navanman said:
Use this updated guide and you can get the battery for cheaper from DealExtreme.

Thank you very much. Also thanks for the awesome thread Mejilan. The guide says a 4GB stick is the max, 8Gb wont work? Or can I just switch in an 8GB after installing CFW?

Edit: The tool battery is only 10.50? I thought it was usually like 40 bucks.

kitch9

Banned
Just jumped in thanks to this thread. I bought the Datel battery tool for £10. It basically turns ANY genuine PSP battery into a service battery at the push of a button. Push the button again and its a normal battery again.

http://www.lengoldenstein.com/2008/07/05/howto-install-custom-firmware-on-a-psp-slim-introduction/

I used this guide and found it easy..... I little too easy TBH. I then ripped my copy of wipeout pulse and put it on my mem stick and was astounded by how quick it loads up. I'm gonna rip all my other games could anybody offer some advice with regards removing dummy data.

Does compression cause any problems?

Cynar

Ermac said:
Thank you very much. Also thanks for the awesome thread Mejilan. The guide says a 4GB stick is the max, 8Gb wont work? Or can I just switch in an 8GB after installing CFW?

Edit: The tool battery is only 10.50? I thought it was usually like 40 bucks.

8gb sticks have serious issues with the earlier firmwares but once you are updated to the latest it should be fine. I used a 2gb stick on a friends to install cfw after I ran into really long times trying to format the 8gb stick with the psp, once I got it up to 4.01 I put the 8gb stick back in and it worked fine.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I didn't see this discussed anywhere so I apologize if I missed it, but I'm on 4.01 M33-2 and suddenly my DAX Dumper Beta 0.2 won't boot, it just goes into a blank screen and I have to hard reset the system

So what's the preferred UMD-ripping program now? I don't want some all-in-one program that just happens to rip UMDs in addition to a bunch of other crap I have to configure in a text file, I just want a UMD ripper. Any suggestions?

Edit: Didn't realize there was a new 1.50 addon for 4.01, all better!

Mejilan

Updated the OP.
Updated the UPMS Installer tutorial mirrored in the OP, since the version I had on it was from February, and navanman's last edit was in May.
Replaced his TotalNoobieInstaller tutorial with the Catb50 Installer tutorial.

As for UMD ripping, I just use the drag and drop to PC method that's supported by any modern M33 CFW. It pretty much made the DAX UMD Dumper obsolete for me.

kenta said:
So what's the preferred UMD-ripping program now? I don't want some all-in-one program that just happens to rip UMDs in addition to a bunch of other crap I have to configure in a text file, I just want a UMD ripper. Any suggestions?
I still use Filer (don't worry, it has English menus). I just find it so much more convenient ripping the UMDs straight onto the stick instead of worrying about connecting it to a PC first.

ronito

I have a stupid question. I've been playing my copy of Dragon Warrior VII on my PC. Now I want to move to the PSP as it'll be easier. Is there any way of moving my saves onto the PSP? Or do I have to start all over?

Cynar

The Faceless Master said:
so did anyone check out Despertar del Cementerio v6!?

it looks so it's pretty now with the GUI, DAX & crew once again show how awesome they are!

Isn't that only for if your psp is bricked? That's what I've been told anyway, what else can it do?

Mejilan

The various DC versions are general downgraders/flashers. They were primarily created to recover from bricks, but can be used to flash just about any firmware to just about any PSP, for the most part. There are "safer" methods, but DC makes for an excellent last resort.

ronito said:
I have a stupid question. I've been playing my copy of Dragon Warrior VII on my PC. Now I want to move to the PSP as it'll be easier. Is there any way of moving my saves onto the PSP? Or do I have to start all over?

I've done it. You'll need to get the CWCheat plugin. You can easily Google that one up. You might need another PC-side converter as well. I had something from when I was helping ethelred out with save file transfer issues, but I can't recall exactly what it was called. I do remember that a series of Google searches yielded working results for me.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Okay guys, I finally went to custom firmware.

I have a PSP-1000, what do I get to make this baby shine?

You could start by reading the OP. ;p

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
People are buying Pandora Batteries? Really?

Anyways, Flashing themes to flash0 isn't really that hard if you know how to keep files organized. But I guess once I buy a slim in the next few weeks and get that on the latest CFW I'll be seeing whether or not the new method for themes (PTF's) are up to par with the CXMB themes. THe pics of themes posted above, are those themes that were flashed or just put on the PSP in the theme folder? Because they look great.

I've been out of the homebrew scene since about 3.30 M33 and in it since Mem Stick swapping. So yeah, getting back into it now and seeing all this shit is certainly a lot to take in. But it'll be worth it.

Mejilan

PTFs cannot compare to CXMB or flashed themes. You can flash a total interface conversion. PTFs are, at best, simple reskins.

C.T.

I know its a stupid question, but couldn't find a streamlined answer. I bought a pandora box including a 4 gig memory stick and don't know what to do. I'm on firmware 3.90 and don't know what kind of programs I need to turn in into a mms. Pandora's GUI 1.5 doesn't work for me...

linkboy

Black_Ice said:
People are buying Pandora Batteries? Really?

To be fair, some people may not be able to create a Pandora Battery (no homebrew capable PSP) and they don't know anyone who has one. Buying one becomes the only option at this point.

C.T. said:
I know its a stupid question, but couldn't find a streamlined answer. I bought a pandora box including a 4 gig memory stick and don't know what to do. I'm on firmware 3.90 and don't know what kind of programs I need to turn in into a mms. Pandora's GUI 1.5 doesn't work for me...

I'm reading this that you have the battery already and need to setup the memory card, correct.

If so, I recommend using this

PSP Pandora Deluxe (from maxconsole)

The following is a basic turtorial on how to set it up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
This program is designed to prepare your PSP Memory Stick to be used with the Pandora Battery. Unfortunately this program can not change your Battery to Pandora, however it will copy programs to the Memory Stick in order for you to do this yourself.

New features this time is the long-awaited Despertar Cementerio v6, plus a different configuration on how you boot your PSP.

Left+Right Trigger - Boots Time Machine
Left Trigger - boots ELF Menu (only if DC v3-5 or the 1.50 downgrader is installed)
UP (D-PAD) - boots Despertar Cementerio v6
UP (D-PAD) + Right Trigger - Recovery Menu for 4.01 M33 on the Stick (if DC v6 Installed).

Hope you enjoy this nice little program.

WARNING: THIS PROGRAM WILL FORMAT THE PATH YOU SELECT AS YOUR PSP, SO MAKE SURE THAT YOU SELECT THE CORRECT DRIVE, AND BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA FROM YOUR PSP MEMORY CARD.

Requirements:
* A PC with Windows XP / Windows Vista and .NET Framework v2.0.
* A PSP with USB Connection and 3.xx/4.xx M33 Custom Firmware Installed.
* The official Sony Firmware EBOOT files for 1.50, 3.71, 3.80, 3.90, and 4.01

What it does:
* Formats your PSP Memory Stick
* Copy the TimeMachine IPL to the Memory Stick.
* Copy Official Firmwares 1.50, 3.71, 3.80, 3.90, and 4.01 to your PSP.
* Installs jas0nuk's Pandora ELF Menu to access all the programs.
* Installs Hellcats Pandora Installer to your PSP.
* Installs Despertar Cementerio v3 to your PSP.
* Installs Despertar Cementerio v4 to your PSP.
* Installs Despertar Cementerio v5 to your PSP.
* Installs Despertar Cementerio v6 to your PSP.
* Installs Time Machine v0.1 to your PSP.
* Installs the Noobz Pandora 1.50 Downgrader Installer to your PSP.

How to use it:
1. First of all, BACKUP YOUR MEMORY STICK as this program will FORMAT it.
2. Start the Application and load in the Eboot files.
3. Select the Programs you wish to install on your Memory Stick.
4. Select your PSP Drive to be formatted and prepared.
5. Press the "Start" button to start formatting and copying files to your PSP.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm gonna trade in my PSP. (i know, i know)
But I have CFW, would you guys restore to official FW before trading it in, or does it not really matter?

Cynar

Jtwo said:
I think I'm gonna trade in my PSP. (i know, i know)
But I have CFW, would you guys restore to official FW before trading it in, or does it not really matter?

It depends on where you are trading it in. If it was ebgames or gamestop I would put it back to the original FW.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just do that normally, right?
I don't need to do any wizardry..

Cynar said:
Isn't that only for if your psp is bricked? That's what I've been told anyway, what else can it do?
it can be used to flash almost any PSP system to the firmware it supports (4.01 M33-2 or 4.01 official), backup and restore NAND, and v6 also adds the ability to launch/run the firmware from the memory stick, and a shiny GUI.

Talamius

It's a shame Sony is discontinuing the extended life battery :( However, the news prompted me to buy one and slice my old slim battery open for Pandora.

The PS1 support is awesome. Destruction Derby 2 is still sooo much fun (it's my second favorite arcade racer, right behind Daytona).

My question(s) are: is there a good list of non-emulation homebrew? What are some of the must haves? Is there a comprehensive list somewhere?

So Dragon Quest VII has hit a freezing point with me. The screen goes black when I go down a staircase I have to go down in order to advance. It sounds as if I need a new Eboot, right? Or is it possibly a problem with the POPS version in 4.01 M33-2? As long as I keep the save, I should be okay, but what should be my next course of action, other than to just wait for Dragon Quest IV? :lol

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
get the popsloader plugin and load the game in an older version of POPS. For some reason the updated POPS sometimes breaks a few games in the process of improving others.

Aske

Talamius said:
It's a shame Sony is discontinuing the extended life battery :( However, the news prompted me to buy one and slice my old slim battery open for Pandora.

That's stupid of them. Is there a replacement on the way? If they've cracked extended battery life in slim-sized batteries then we're good. If not, I'd better run out and buy a couple of the current models before they disappear.

Blablurn

hey guys, seems like i'm going to rebuy a psp by tomorrow. what's the deal with the firmware on the device? is it compatible to all this customs firmwares?

manzo

I finally got my Tengai Makyou Apocalypse IV and God of War from Play-Asia.

My friend ripped them for me (since my UMD drive is dead) and I put them on my one and only 4 gig official Sony brand Memstick.

God of War really behaves weirdly when played from the memstick; whenever an area starts, the game heavily loads from the stick causing the game literally crawl. The only thing I can do is to pause the game whenever I switch an area and wait until the game has done loading before I can continue.

Tengai Makyou's second opening (the song) really skips and slows down, I have no idea why; none of the other videos slow down like that.

Is there something to do with the UMD emulators? I'm currently using the official Sony NP9660. These 2 games are the only games I'm having trouble with.

I really hope my PSP is not busted, it's in perfect shape except for the broken UMD drive... I don't want to buy a new slim just, since then I have to start toying around with the Pandora Battery things, etc. :(

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
manzo said:
I finally got my Tengai Makyou Apocalypse IV and God of War from Play-Asia.

My friend ripped them for me (since my UMD drive is dead) and I put them on my one and only 4 gig official Sony brand Memstick.

God of War really behaves weirdly when played from the memstick; whenever an area starts, the game heavily loads from the stick causing the game literally crawl. The only thing I can do is to pause the game whenever I switch an area and wait until the game has done loading before I can continue.

Tengai Makyou's second opening (the song) really skips and slows down, I have no idea why; none of the other videos slow down like that.

Is there something to do with the UMD emulators? I'm currently using the official Sony NP9660. These 2 games are the only games I'm having trouble with.

I really hope my PSP is not busted, it's in perfect shape except for the broken UMD drive... I don't want to buy a new slim just, since then I have to start toying around with the Pandora Battery things, etc. :(

God of War just runs better off the UMD, its known. Any game that actively streams from the UMD exhibits the same symptoms.

C.T.

thx, but still doesn't load. So it isn't possible to make a magic memory stick without custom firmware? Im still on original (3.9) and though a pandora battery was sufficient.

edit: Perhaps it's the 4 gig sony ms?

I'm thinking about getting a GoW bundle PSP, but was reading in the PSP-3000 thread that it is possible that I could get a unit that can not get CFW even with the Pandora battery. Is that just FUD?

Spiegel

manzo said:

Are you playing .iso or .cso?

I don't remember having loading problems with my GoW iso

Top Bottom