• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XenobladeX |Import OT| Discovery of Superb View: http://youtu.be/HgIXNOEv_40

Hiltz

Around 80k, huh ? According to Japanese sales, Xenoblade 1 sold 83k copies during its launch week, and it took 6 months later for it to reach a total of 161,161 copies. I fear X may end up being a short-term, slow burner in Japan as well. Also, Xenoblade 3D sold 56,932 copies in less than a week during its release.

Thanks for posting your impressions, guys. By the way, what are your opinions on the music, is it kind of a mixed bag ? Did Sawano's corny English lyrics in the vocal tracks disappoint you as much as you thought they would, or did he at least manage to entertain you at times with em ?

Netto-kun

Zero²;162893983 said:
Fuck me if this dont look incredibly awesome! That red BLADE area with that black Skell s2
Funny timing cause I also changed my Blade Home Doll garage to red the other day.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0169soq.jpg

In other news, I unlocked a new Doll weapon through one of Lynn's kizuna quests. It looks..pretty ridiculous on my Urban.

Killer damage, BUT 1200 fuel per use, 120 seconds recast time, takes up both back and shoulder slots on your Doll. Maybe it'll useful whenever I upgrade to level 50/60 Dolls. At least I have a Winning Beam if I really need to use it?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Got to lv 57 today. Luckily leveling when you have at least 1 lv 50 Doll is super fast.
When I get home from work tomorrow I should have enough money for a second lv 50 Doll and weapons for it.

Around 80k, huh ? According to Japanese sales, Xenoblade 1 sold 83k copies during its launch week, and it took 6 months later for it to reach a total of 161,161 copies. I fear X may end up being a short-term, slow burner in Japan as well. Also, Xenoblade 3D sold 56,932 copies in less than a week during its release.

Thanks for posting your impressions, guys. By the way, what are your opinions on the music, is it kind of a mixed bag ? Did Sawano's corny English lyrics in the vocal tracks disappoint you as much as you thought they would, or did he at least manage to entertain you at times with em ?
X is for wii u though and not wii

ivysaur12

Banned
Just checked and that number has risen a bit again, it's at 73885 now. So ~80k seems about right.

Well, also not everyone who bought the game will have connected online, so that can really only give you a bottom number. We'll know on Friday what its first week sales are.

ozfunghi

Yup, same for me lol. I rarely have more than 200-ish euros to spend every month after rent and bills and whatever, buying a 300 euro console for one game sounds insane to say the least lol.

One of my classmates has the console though, gonna try and persuade him to borrow it for me for a couple of weeks. I really fucking want to play the game lol

Well, the really good exclusive games are pretty much either Nintendo games or Bayonetta 2/W101, and I'm not really into any of them at all. I suppose a Mario Kart or Smash Bros would be fun with friends, but I rarely have many over since a) I have a tiny ass aparment and b) it's spring/summer, so if I'm with friends, we usually spend our time out somewhere.

If I got a WiiU right now, it would quite literally be for just a single game.

If you wanted, you could have gotten the Wii U for 199 euro not too long ago, and we've known about Xenoblade for two years now. Plenty of time to anticipate. That 199 bundle, was with 2 games included AND an extra Wiimote. If you sold those on ebay, you could have gotten a basic (white) WiiU for 140 euro or even less. The same bundle has since gone up in price again. You can still find a Smash Bros bundle for around 250 euro, and MK8 bundle for 280, still less than those 300 you claimed and with a game you have some interest in.

Also, if it's really just for one game, why not get a second hand WiiU? You will find one for a lot less than 200.

When you level up arts in one class, are you able to switch classes and use those same leveled skills, or are you stuck with a bunch of weak arts?

aravuus

If you wanted, you could have gotten the Wii U for 199 euro not too long ago, and we've known about Xenoblade for two years now. Plenty of time to anticipate. That 199 bundle, was with 2 games included AND an extra Wiimote. If you sold those on ebay, you could have gotten a basic (white) WiiU for 140 euro or even less. The same bundle has since gone up in price again. You can still find a Smash Bros bundle for around 250 euro, and MK8 bundle for 280, still less than those 300 you claimed and with a game you have some interest in.

Also, if it's really just for one game, why not get a second hand WiiU? You will find one for a lot less than 200.

Not in Finland, unfortunately. I can't find anyone who stocks the 8GB version anymore, so every shop has the 32GB one (premium?) which is 300+ euros everywhere. The only second hand ones I found on the couple of usual sites I know, were 300 and 520 (lol) euros.

I'm not against ordering stuff from abroad (just got ToHR from amazon uk in fact, and P4G is on its way here from there too), but buying new from the UK sites I know would end up costing around the same 300 euros for me with postal and the insane taxes and whatever. The second hand sellers on Amazon won't ship to Finland.

If I were to look around, I suppose I could find a working one with all the accessories with it from UK eBay, but a) it'd still end up costing 250+ euros unless I got real lucky and b) this is kind of where I try to draw the line. I'm not very comfortable with buying a machine this expensive from a random person from some other country, hell, I'm hardly willing to buy anything this expensive in Finland second hand and here I can just go meet them somewhere and get the console personally.

So, uh, thanks? I guess, I'm not sure why you're so insistent I'm wrong here. I may have not been obsessed about it, but I've looked around. If I could get the console for, say 150 euros, I fucking would, in a heartbeat (or to be precise, as soon as I get some more money lol), but so far, I simply haven't found anything.

And tbh, I really only warmed up to the original Xenoblade a year or two ago. I wasn't really excited for XBX at all until like a month ago.

Fandangox

I don't think it has really been brought up yet but how is the framerate?

I think Tony said it was stable at around 30 with some drops, but don't quote me on that.

Edit: Wasn't Tony.

I haven't played a ton yet, but the frame rate seems to stick at 30 and not fluctuate. I haven't noticed any drops yet. No screen tearing, either, so good on that front.

The LOD pop-in stuff is quite noticeable, though. I'm playing it installed on an external USB drive, so I don't know if moving it to the internal memory would help.

ozfunghi

Not in Finland, unfortunately. I can't find anyone who stocks the 8GB version anymore, so every shop has the 32GB one (premium?) which is 300+ euros everywhere. The only second hand ones I found on the couple of usual sites I know, were 300 and 520 (lol) euros.

I'm not against ordering stuff from abroad (just got ToHR from amazon uk in fact, and P4G is on its way here from there too), but buying new from the UK sites I know would end up costing around the same 300 euros for me with postal and the insane taxes and whatever. The second hand sellers on Amazon won't ship to Finland.

If I were to look around, I suppose I could find a working one with all the accessories with it from UK eBay, but a) it'd still end up costing 250+ euros unless I got real lucky and b) this is kind of where I try to draw the line. I'm not very comfortable with buying a machine this expensive from a random person from some other country, hell, I'm hardly willing to buy anything this expensive in Finland second hand and here I can just go meet them somewhere and get the console personally.

So, uh, thanks? I guess, I'm not sure why you're so insistent I'm wrong here. I may have not been obsessed about it, but I've looked around. If I could get the console for, say 150 euros, I fucking would, in a heartbeat (or to be precise, as soon as I get some more money lol), but so far, I simply haven't found anything.

And tbh, I really only warmed up to the original Xenoblade a year or two ago. I wasn't really excited for XBX at all until like a month ago.

Which insane taxes? Finland is part of the EU, is it not? So anything you import from within the EU should be import-tax-free, no? Or is the country not a 100% member?

And i'm not saying you're wrong, i'm just saying you could get a new WiiU with Nintendoland, Wii Party U and an aditional Wiimote for 199 up until a few months ago. This is not my opinion, this is a fact. The units were sold on Amazon.it and shipped all over Europe. They were also sold on ebay for the same price, and they were also found in other countries in stores (like in my local Fnac and Bart Smit stores in Belgium) all for the same price.

This is the pack i'm talking about:

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Nintend...DefaultDomain_77&hash=item23471c6e6e#shpCntId

It's now 262 (including transport) and includes at least 60 euro's of resellable contents. It also ships to finland. So if you want a new WiiU for around 200... this is still a good deal. Especially if second hand prices in finland are so high, you should not have any problems selling the Wiimote plus the two games included for 60 euro's.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It drops if you try to move the camera too fast in some places, I think, or are too zoomed out/speeding through really busy areas. Otherwise it's been pretty damn smooth, as far as I can tell.

Really? I'm usually really sensitive to frame rate stuff, but I haven't noticed any drops at all. Even installed to the internal flash memory, there is still plenty of model and texture pop-in. It's quite distracting in some areas, but the frame rate has been rock solid for me. I don't have a doll yet, though.

ika

Anyways, I've been doing all I can to avoid story spoilers so no spoilers thread for me but I have to know just one little thing.

Assuming there are religious allusions and symbolism in the game, does anyone know if it's more on the lines of Xenoblade where it was more subdued or more like Xenosaga with outright blatant imagery and allusions?

Quoting this because I'd also love to know this if someone finished the game already and is kind enough to share with ours :)

No details/spoilers, just in general, please. Religious and philosophic themes in Takahashi's games are one of my favorite things in his stories.

Fandangox

People have been uploading "your voice" The full song, but its recorded directly from the game, so it has the dialogue from
the ending
in it.

Akhe

It goes into a lot of detail and the guy still hadn't completed the game, but I'll quickly translate the final summary bit for you:

I can't lie. Actually, I don't need to lie. Xenoblade X is a serious RPG made especially for people who love serious RPGs. There's no mercy to be found for newcomers here. It's not a game in which you simply repeat the same old process of visiting a few shops, upgrading some gear and then heading off to the next destination in order to defeat whatever boss might be there. You need to go into this game with the idea that you're going to be a pioneer on an unexplored planet. There isn't a single element in this game that will make sense right away. It's a game in which you need to gain a deep understanding of each of its many components before moving on. If you try to skip over an important step and proceed anyway, it will come back to bite you later on.

This is the kind of game where you need to spend a lot of time carefully learning all of the systems and slowly mastering them. Before writing this, I played the game for about 30 hours. It feels like a long time, but I don't think I have mastered more than maybe 20% of the game systems. Maybe even less than that. Honestly, I felt like giving up on more than one occasion. There were times when I didn't feel like doing any of the pioneering stuff and just wanted to get on with the story. I didn't care about setting up another data probe. I just wanted to go to the next location.

That was the wrong way to approach the game. As you gradually realize the significance of being a member of BLADE, you'll naturally start to feel motivated to fight for humanity on this new and dangerous planet. Because of that, you will want to work on cultivating Mira in order to gather new resources. You will come to understand the importance of placing data probes. The goal isn't just to see the story, it's to protect humanity, and the importance of this mission will become clear to you as you play.

As long as you approach the game in this way, the motivation to master all of the systems, no matter how complicated, will come naturally. You start the game as a selfish child gamer who just wants to play through the story, but as the game progresses, you will grow into an adult gamer. Xenoblade X is an extremely complicated and difficult game, but it is absolutely worth taking the time to get over that first hurdle. It is certainly not a game aimed at newcomers to the genre, but I hope that even newcomers will give it a try and help create a new future for humanity on planet Mira.

Awesome!! Thank you!!

Really? I'm usually really sensitive to frame rate stuff, but I haven't noticed any drops at all. Even installed to the internal flash memory, there is still plenty of model and texture pop-in. It's quite distracting in some areas, but the frame rate has been rock solid for me. I don't have a doll yet, though.
Try zooming the camera out, and dashing down Union Street. That always seems to lag a bit when I run through.

Jiraiza

Is it possible to play with others with such a late start? Doesn't look like I'll be getting mine any time soon. God damn it Nin-Nin Games!

Masked Man

I said wow
Put in about 20 hours so far (currently Lv22 and finished with Ch4) and it's wonderful! Random impressions:

• The game is gorgeous, although I wish the camera were more stable so I could properly enjoy the beautiful scenery. The lock-on system is also pretty unstable, which makes targeting one part of a given enemy easier said than done.
  • Even though I haven't mastered all the aspects of the combat system (I haven't even touched my Soul Voice setup), I've been enjoying the battles almost as much as I did in the original Xenoblade.
  • I miss my boy Dunban and my girl Melia, but the characters seem surprisingly complex, and I'm looking forward to learning more about Elma, Lao, and Ru. (Already replaced Lynn because I can't stand that character trope, but I'll probably bring her back for the Affinity Quests as necessary.)
  • The music is actually far better than I expected. All the tracks I've heard thus far have been quite catchy, and I've found myself humming along at times. Even the vocal tracks aren't as bad as I anticipated, although there have been several cutscenes in which the dialogue got drowned out by the lyrics. Thankfully the battle tracks are a little more muffled.

Will post more as I make more progress. Also, my NNID is kamennootoko, so feel free to add me! :D

I'm playing through Xenoblade right now and man is this game slow. I'm not even to the Prison World but I'm already getting burnt out. A lot of it has to do with how I play, such as refusal to switch out party members and only being boring ol' Shulk, but also some of the odd systems in place. Spike damage, switching out Monado for mech fights, and a less than friendly crafting system for gems. The game feels so very slow in portions, and even moreso when traversal is at play.

You want me to go to Place, but there is no marker by Place so I'm stuck eating damage from level 25 dudes when I'm level 35 as I run away.

Here's the thing, though, is that X intrigues me. But I don't know enough about the battle system to say it's worth it. For those of you who've already immersed yourself in the world of X, how big are the changes between the gameplay systems? The class system seems far more identified than my Reyn/Shulk/Dunban dudebro burrito.

Import players, I'm wanting to stay as spoiler free as I can, so I'm gonna drop these few questions, and hope someone answers them via PM. I checked the OT and didn't see anything that jumped at me with these:

Appearance is customizable, but is appearance linked to equipment? Xenoblade annoyed me with how ridiculously mismatched everyone was, that's my main gripe. I saw people in some videos running around in casual looking clothes -- is there an option to wear casual clothes outside of battle? Or were the devs running around basically naked?

Are affinity quests the HUGE chore that they were in Xenoblade? Getting 4 star affinity with Colony 9 in Xeno is an absolute slog -- with no help from annoying NPC tendencies (only available at certain times, dont show up on map till you're standing on their toes, etc). Honestly if only the part where you're dealing with looking for those fuckers is made easier, then Ill already be happy.

It seems that you can't "just" do multiplayer. Seems like you have to build some bar for your 32 man "party" to initiate a boss to multiplayer against... But it ALSO seems to say that you can choose your squad -- so is it feasible to partner up with a friend, then quickly build up that meter to trigger the boss? Just curious.

How awesome are Skells?

I'm playing through Xenoblade right now and man is this game slow. I'm not even to the Prison World but I'm already getting burnt out. A lot of it has to do with how I play, such as refusal to switch out party members and only being boring ol' Shulk, but also some of the odd systems in place. Spike damage, switching out Monado for mech fights, and a less than friendly crafting system for gems. The game feels so very slow in portions, and even moreso when traversal is at play.

You want me to go to Place, but there is no marker by Place so I'm stuck eating damage from level 25 dudes when I'm level 35 as I run away.

Here's the thing, though, is that X intrigues me. But I don't know enough about the battle system to say it's worth it. For those of you who've already immersed yourself in the world of X, how big are the changes between the gameplay systems? The class system seems far more identified than my Reyn/Shulk/Dunban dudebro burrito.

Why do you refuse to switch out party members? It adds a lot of variety to the gameplay in Xenoblade. Spike damage isn't all that common either. I do agree that the crafting system isn't properly explained in the the game, but once you get how it works, it's fairly simple (combine crystals or whatever and try to get as close to 100% as possible without going over, then add the highest % gem on top of that to try to get it to 200% when you craft for better quality gems and more of them).

Not sure what you are talking about with no marker by place. The game always has a marker showing where to go for the story unless you are referring to sidequests. And if that is the case, yeah, there is no quest tracking system in the game. Wiki is your friend for those (or just skip 'em).

Why do you refuse to switch out party members? It adds a lot of variety to the gameplay in Xenoblade. Spike damage isn't all that common either. I do agree that the crafting system isn't properly explained in the the game, but once you get how it works, it's fairly simple (combine crystals or whatever and try to get as close to 100% as possible without going over, then add the highest % gem on top of that to try to get it to 200% when you craft for better quality gems and more of them).

Not sure what you are talking about with no marker by place. The game always has a marker showing where to go for the story unless you are referring to sidequests. And if that is the case, yeah, there is no quest tracking system in the game. Wiki is your friend for those (or just skip 'em).

I actually didn't mind playing as Shulk until I realized he lacked new skills. And the AI is so damn awful that before I realized that leveled up skills = more usage from them, it was already too late. I suppose I could just rotate the ones I don't want out completely!

Spike damage isn't TOO common, but mechs are, and I'm hoping that's the last of that system unless there's a better way for the AI to outright handle the latter.

Thanks for explaining the crafting system. I'm going to research it more but I've mainly made some crappy gems that barely boost anything.

Oops, by marker, I meant landmark, as in a place I can teleport to. From what I hear about this game, the quests are more involved, so that'll definitely take off the edge.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
70 hours later finally have my dolls. am almost to lv50 also lol

Had more than enough cash to buy everyone new dolls also for the main party. Didnt bother to get the other characters I dont use as much one yet. Waiting to hit lv 50 so can get one of those higher lv units.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
For people who want to keep targeting a specific part, remember that pushing the right stick will hard lock to it.

Top Bottom