• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 Films To See In August (What are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure what to see this month? Here is a rundown of what I'm most excited for. In order to include more films I've added a "rent" section. These films are ones that don't need to be seen in the theater, but should be checked out at some point.

See:

12. A Perfect Getaway (Twohy, August 7th)

Synopsis: Two pairs of lovers (Zahn & Jovovich, Olyphant & Sanchez) on a Hawaiian vacation discover that psychopaths are stalking and murdering tourists on the islands.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Timothy Olyphant and Steven Zahn are usually entertaining and David Twohy has proven he can make a great action thriller. Don't expect this to set any new standards, but this will be a fun time out at the movies.

11. The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard (Brennan, August 14th)

Synopsis: Used-car liquidator Don Ready (Piven) is hired by a flailing auto dealership to turn their Fourth of July sale into a majorly profitable event.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Jeremy Piven stars in this low-budget comedy. His appearance, along with director Neal Brennan (writer and director of many Chappelle Show episodes) give me faith that this will be an enjoyable summer comedy.

10. The Final Destination (Ellis, August 28th)

Synopsis: After Hunt's (Zano) premonition of a deadly race-car crash helps saves the lives of his peers, Death sets out to collect those who evaded their fate.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Like this year’s My Bloody Valentine 3-D this is bound to be fun. Director David R. Ellis proves he knows what audiences want with Snakes on a Plane. Comic-Con footage also proved this is going to be a glory, bloody mess.

9. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (Sommers, August 7th)

Synopsis: An elite military unit comprised of operatives known as the Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity look to dismantle Cobra, an organization headed by a Scottish arms dealer.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Originally this looked the the worst film to come out this summer, then Transformers 2 was released and I came to the realization that no movie could ever touch the depths of hell where that film was born. Expect fun mindless action and an actual somewhat cohesive story and you won't be disappointed.

8. Cold Souls (Barthes, August 7th)

Synopsis: Paul (Giamatti) is an actor who feels bogged down by his participation in a production of Chekov's play, Vanya. His condition which leads him to an organization that will store his soul while he treads the boards, though complications (and international travel) arise when his soul goes missing.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Well received at Sundance, this film is now getting a limited release. I love Giamatti and this looks like a wonderful weird mix between Being John Malkovich and Synecdoche, NY.

7. It Might Get Loud (Guggenheim, August 14th)

Synopsis: A documentary on the electric guitar from the point of view of three significant rock musicians: The Edge, Jimmy Page and Jack White.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Guggenheim directed the standard Inconvenient Truth, so I'm interested to see if can work his magic again in a documentary where he doesn't just have to film a presentation. The buzz around this at Toronto last year was also pretty high.

6. World's Greatest Dad (Goldthwait, August 21st)

Synopsis: A comedy about a man who learns that the things you want most may not be the things that make you happy, and that being lonely is not necessarily the same as being alone.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Robin Williams may save his career in this twisted dark comedy. Then again, I'm sure Old Dogs will put him back in his place.

5. Paper Heart (Jasenovec, August 7th)

Synopsis: Artist Charlyne Yi blends fiction, fantasy, and documentary in her exploration of what loves means to different people; all the while, she is courted by her real-life boyfriend, Michael Cera.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: I'm interested to see if Charlyne Yi can hold her own in this feature film. The wealth of cameos and the inclusion of Michael Cera gives me hope.

4. Taking Woodstock (Lee, August 28th)

Synopsis: When Woodstock organizers have the plug pulled on their event, Elliot Tiber (Martin), a young man who is spending the summer working on his parents' farm, helps the event land a permit, and puts the organizers in touch with Max Yasgur (Levy), a dairy farmer whose plot of land could serve as a perfect spot for the concert.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Ang Lee returns with a light, enjoyable tale about the beginnings of the greatest music festival in the world. Don't expect another Oscar winner, but this will be a nice precursor into the Academy season.

3. Ponyo (Miyazaki, August 14th)

Synopsis: An animated adventure centered on a 5-year-old boy and his relationship with a goldfish princess who longs to become human.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Miyazaki has crafted classics with every new tale. I've seen this film and while I don't think it lives up to some of his other work, it is definitely a must-see.

2. Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, August 21th)

Synopsis: An American-led killing squad known as "The Basterds" terrorize the Nazis in German-occupied France during World War II.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Tarantino is back with an odd ensemble cast and a twisted story that looks to have the right ingredients for one hell of a ride. If you want a lot of nazi scalps, then you may be disappointed as Cannes reviews suggested this is more about the story then the violence. I'm sure there will be just enough of that though as well.

1. District 9 (Blomkamp, August 14th)

Synopsis: A sci-fi/action story set in a fictional world, where extraterrestrials have become refugees in South Africa.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: The first review calls it a "landmark film that will now be spoken of alongside such films as Aliens, The Thing, and 2001." I know that is just one man's opinion but I couldn't be more excited for this film. It looks like smart, action-packed sci-fi adventure with a heavily realistic tone.

-------

Must-See:

FREE Avatar Preview (Cameron, August 21st)

Synopsis: A band of humans are pitted in a battle against a distant planet's indigenous population.

Official Site

Why You Must See It: In an unprecedented event James Cameron is showing 15 minutes of his highly anticipated epic sci-fi fantasy adventure only in IMAX. Only in 3-D. Only on August 21st. For Free.

-------

Avoid:

Bandslam (Graff, August 14th)

Synopsis: An outcast (Connell) bonds with the popular girl on campus (Michalka) over their shared love of music, and together they decide to form a rock group and enter their school's upcoming battle of the bands competition.

Trailer

Why You Shouldn't See: This sequel to High School Music...err, I mean completely original story seems like a retread of a number of similar films in the recent years. I'm sure Disney Channel fans will eat up and we will get a Bandslam 2 very soon so look out for that on a "avoid" list in the near future.

Post Grad (Jenson, August 14th)

Synopsis: Ryden Malby graduates from college and is forced to move back into her childhood home with her eccentric family, while she attempts to find a job, the right guy, and just a hint of where her life is headed.

Trailer

Why You Shouldn't See It: If that synopsis doesn't get you excited for the film then you must be a normal human being. Fox Searchlight is usually good at picking films, but this just doesn't seem worth watching.

Halloween II (Zombie, August 28th)

Synopsis: Laurie Strode (Taylor-Compton) struggles to come to terms with her brother Michael's deadly return to Haddonfield, Illinois; meanwhile, Michael prepares for another reunion with his sister.

Trailer

Why You Shouldn't See It: Rob Zombie is set to shit out another mind numbing, painful, overbearing take on the Halloween series. Remember when he was just a bad musician? I want those days back.

---------

Rent:

Julie & Julia (Ephron, August 7th)

Synopsis: Frustrated secretary Julie Powell (Adams) tries to shake up her life by chronicling her attempt to cook all 524 recipes in Julia Child'sMastering the Art of French Cooking in a year's time.

Trailer

Why You Should Rent It: The talent involved is fantastic, but every time I see the trailer I cringe. Nothing in this film looks very interesting, but I'm intrigued why Streep would do such a project, so I say eventually see it.

The Time Traveler's Wife (Schwentke, August 14th)

Synopsis: A romantic drama about a Chicago librarian (Bana) with a gene that causes him to involuntarily time travel, and the complications it creates for his marriage.

Trailer

Why You Should Rent It: This film got delayed over and over again and after seeing the trailer I can see the reason. Schwentke is a good director, and the two leads are good, but this film looks as bland as they come. The talent involved and the original source material make it worth a watch down the road though.

Spread (Mackenzie, August 14th)

Synopsis: In Los Angeles, Nikki (Kutcher) is a sexual grafter who uses his assets to enjoy the city's richest women and their lifestyle. Soon he finds himself torn between two very different women: Samantha (Heche), a lawyer who gives Nikki more than he's ever had before, and Heather (Levieva), a waitress and equally savvy grafter in her own right.

Trailer

Why You Should Rent It: Although this looks like a commercial for Kutcher, rather than a piece of cinema, Mackenzie's other work has proved he can direct with grace.

Shorts (Rodriguez, August 21st)

Synopsis: Toe Thompson's discovery of a colorful, wish-granting rock causes a stir in the suburban town of Black Falls, and grand-scale chaos occurs when the object falls into the hands of local adults. Can Toe and his two newfound friends save the residents of Black Falls from themselves?

Trailer

Why You Should Rent It: Rodriguez has proved he can directed a children's film but this one seems too immature even for him. Since he is behind it though, I will check it out eventually.

-------

ROTTENWATCH UPDATES (as of 9/30/09)
- only put links/percentages on ones that have a RT score so far.

See:

12. A Perfect Getaway (Twohy, August 7th) - 58%
11. The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard (Brennan, August 14th)- 30%
10. The Final Destination (Ellis, August 28th) - 30%
9. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (Sommers, August 7th) - 37%
8. Cold Souls (Barthes, August 7th) - 72%
7. It Might Get Loud (Guggenheim, August 14th) - 74%
6. World's Greatest Dad (Goldthwait, August 21st) - 84%
5. Paper Heart (Jasenovec, August 7th) - 61%
4. Taking Woodstock (Lee, August 28th) - 50%
3. Ponyo (Miyazaki, August 14th) - 91%
2. Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, August 21th) - 89%
1. District 9 (Blomkamp, August 14th) - 89%

Must-See:

FREE Avatar Preview (Cameron, August 21st) - 1000000%

Avoid:

Bandslam (Graff, August 14th) - 80%
Post Grad (Jenson, August 14th) - 9%
Halloween II (Zombie, August 28th) - 22%

Rent:

Julie & Julia (Ephron, August 7th) - 75%
The Time Traveler's Wife (Schwentke, August 14th) - 36%
Spread (Mackenzie, August 14th) - 10%
Shorts (Rodriguez, August 21st) - 45%

--

Previous Months
March List
April List
May List
June List
July List

Do you agree with the list? What are you watching this month?

I'm so glad you included It Might Get Loud!

The Time Traveler's Wife was a pretty decent book, but I can't imagine how it would make much of a film. Probably will rent it.

CiSTM

Banned
Distric 9 and Inglourious Basterds for me. District 9 looks really cool but I have a hunch that I will be let down :( I have seen Ponyo already and didn't really like it so no need to go see it.

Kastro

Banned
Cornballer said:
Saracen sighting!

lol I just saw Lyla Garrity in 500 days of Summer

plus Tim Riggins in Wolverine

and Landry is in a movie with Kevin Spacey

Nice to see the FNL kydz getting work :D

Going to be seeing District 9 and Ponyo
Me and the gal are quite pumped about Ponyo since we recently re watched all the Miyazaki stuffs we could get our hands on :D

harSon

Banned
District 9 and Inglorious Basterds are the two I'll be seeing in theater, I'm interested in some others but I'll probably wait for them to be released on DVD. I don't think anything can top my hype for Inglorious Basterds, I like to consider myself one of the biggest Tarantino fans alive. Easily my most anticipated movie of the year.

JdFoX187

Banned
Definitely looking forward to District 9. The more previews I see of Inglorious Basterds, the more I look forward to it. It'll be the first Tarantino film I've looked forward to since Pulp Fiction.

G.I. Joe is looking good. I thought it was going to be a poor man's Transformers since Stephen Sommers is, in essence, a poor man's Michael Bay, and I loved Deep Rising. But it's surprising to hear some positive reviews come out. I don't think I'll enjoy it as much as I did Revenge of the Fallen, but it should still be a good way to cap off the summer movie season.

cashman

Banned
my top 3 is bandslam, post graduate, and haloween II

Inglourious Basterds, and district 9, maybe GI joe

I can't wait for the eventual spoof. INDIE MOVIE. it will probably be more tolerable than the actual indie movies.

this month i want to see District 9. whether or not i actually go see it remains to be seen though.

harSon

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
I can't wait for the eventual spoof. INDIE MOVIE. it will probably be more tolerable than the actual indie movies.

this month i want to see District 9. whether or not i actually go see it remains to be seen though.

It has already been done and it's easily worse then any Indie movie to ever come out: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385890/

Tucah

you speak so well
District 9 looks great, I'm undecided on Inglorious Basterds, and I still have to see (500) Days of Summer.

Should be a decent month for me.

You know, thanks to these threads my girlfriend and I already made a list of 14 films we've yet to see, and now there's a few more to add to it. Where do I find the time?!? I do love these threads though. It's great to have all of the recent releases laid out for me. :)

Inglorious Basterds and District 9 are top for me this month. :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DanielPlainview said:
7. It Might Get Loud (Guggenheim, August 14th)

3. Ponyo (Miyazaki, August 14th)

2. Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, August 21th)

Rent:

Julie & Julia (Ephron, August 7th)

Only thing(s) I want to see this month. But since there is no CC in theaters, I'll have to wait for the DVD. *sigh*

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm pleading you folks not to watch Inglorious Basterds....the disappointment levels are beyond comprehension. god I want my time back.

Zophar

I'm most certainly hitting the theatre for District 9, Ponyo, and Basterds. I'll probably skip everything else unless a bunch of people decide to go hit up GI Joe.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Kastro said:
Paper Heart looks so lame.

Is anyone else tired of these "indie as fuck" movies?

No, but I'm sure there are plenty of comic-book inspired movies with explosions and car chases that you'd enjoy playing at your local multiplex.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Inglourious Basterds is the only one I'd considering seeing in theaters.

Definite rentals:
GI Joe
World Greatest Dad
District 9
The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard

harSon

Banned
wenis said:
I'm pleading you folks not to watch Inglorious Basterds....the disappointment levels are beyond comprehension. god I want my time back.

It seems to be polarizing, the biggest complaint being the excessive amounts of dialog in place of action, which happen to be the very same complaints that Death Proof recieved. Fortunately for me, I absolutely loved Death Proof :)

B!TCH said:
No, but I'm sure there are plenty of comic-book inspired movies with explosions and car chases that you'd enjoy playing at your local multiplex.
Hipster movies and comic book/action movies. The only two genres in existence...

Kastro

Banned
B!TCH said:

whoa zing dawg you really pegged me as a casual moviegoer

Ponyo and District 9 for sure.

I haven't seen the trailer for Paper Heart. I clicked it expecting Michael Cera to act as the same character from every other thing he's ever been in, and he didn't disappoint in that regard. As for his "acting"...yeah, still disappointing.

Ceres

Banned
Julie & Julia was great. The audience absolutely loved it and the screening had more people than the 500 Days one the day before.

Alucard

Banned
Of those, I'm interested in seeing District 9, Ponyo, It Might Get Loud, and Paper Heart.

I still don't see how anyone could possibly think that Inglourious Basterds looks good, but to each their own. Think I'm just over the whole "OMG GORE!" thing. Pitt's acting looks like utter cheese, which I'm sure is the point, but I just can't see myself enjoying a film like that anymore.

Buckethead said:
I usually dig your rankings Plainview but D9 at #1 and Cera's flick ahead of World's Greatest Dad.....

C'mon.

You must not be aware of the rave reviews D-9 is getting?

It's not some summer popcorn flick.

Buckethead said:
5 Reviews constitutes rave reviews?

And Cloverfield wasn't just a monster movie.

See ya in 13 days.

I said that it's been getting, so sure? They're hugely flattering reviews. It being at #1 here isn't some "LOL NO WAI" occurrence as you made it seem.

weepy

I'm glad to finally see some Final Destination love on GAF. Though, the third one was the only one I've witnessed at the movies (it was okay, kind of a let down after the first two) I will most definitely be seeing this one in 3D day one. :D

Also: District 9 and Inglorious Basterds

Gilby

I'll definitely be seeing District 9 and Basterds (trailer doesn't appeal to me, but so far I've enjoyed all of Tarantino's movies). I'd also like to see It might get loud, since I play guitar (very poorly), and it looks interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom