• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Double

My young brothers first level, a pretty neat short stage with 2 different paths, medium difficulty I'd say.

Molemans little Castle
1677-0000-007F-D010

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01iayz1.jpg

Arkain

I made a new level, if anyone wants to try it out. It's heavily influenced by the Cheese Bridge level of Super Mario World.

Sawblade Bridge
WVW69ib6xYY_7heJAb

(A023-0000-007C-5796)

Actually, if anyone wants to try out my levels I linked previously in this thread, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've received no feedback yet, and they're doing terribly star/completion percentage-wise, even though my goal was just to make somewhat normal Mario platforming levels. Either I'm doing something wrong, or people just don't want that type of levels.
_______

Now for a level I played from this thread

Other chapters in the series:
Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2By%2Bcant%2Bmetroid%2Bshoot%2B-%2BBrinstar.png

I played the Brinstar level and I beat it on my 4th or 5th try. I'll try to play your other levels tomorrow. The Brinstar level was fun, and has a huge nostalgia factor for me. One bit of critique though: it's a very good Metroidvania-style level, but because it's a Mario game and you actually lose power-ups when you get hit, the room with the erratically moving green flying Koopas was a nightmare. Anywhere else, when you got hit, it was simply due to bad platforming, but that room was too random for my liking.

Dimentios

Amiibo Trails: Mario Kart - Very nice. At first I didn't watch the lower side of the level and did some mistakes on my part. Long story short, at the end I was standing in front of the last wall like an idiot, since I didn't know what to do. THEN I played it again and saw the shell at the lower part and well, I came second. :c

A star would be nice, since it plays the Super Mario Kart Star Theme.

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-2 - Very nice looking, kinda difficult. I didn't know what to do first, then I followed a passage to find a koopa and with him a could hit that one question block with the spikey shell. However I destroyed both by hitting them together. lol. Didn't finish it, but will.

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-1 - Involves some backtracking, which is fine per se, but I don't know if most of the casual people (you know, the noobs) get that. That place with the thousands of donut blocks was both great and difficult. The Idea is brilliant, but the last Wiggler killed me. :c

Anyhow, Starred all of them and follow you. Will play the rest of your levels soon.

Super Mario Adventure: World 1-3 - Very Nintendoesque. Quit long (due to scrolling), but nonetheless beautiful level.

Cheep Shot Grotto - Those ****** Cheep Cheeps! >.<
Good level, tho. But I was hit several times. :D

Followed and starred.

Rupees in the Dungeon

Fucking love Link and Rupees. I played it twice. The first time (don't be mad tho) I jumped over the cross in the middle. It is indeed possible and therefore your whole subworld is skipable. I chose to play it once again the truthfully way. ^-^

Burn those Calories (Get fat ehm fit) - Well...by calories got burned INDEED! Nice level. :)

KooopaKid

Banned
I made a new level, if anyone wants to try it out. It's heavily influenced by the Cheese Bridge level of Super Mario World.

Actually, if anyone wants to try out my levels I linked previously in this thread, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've received no feedback yet, and they're doing terribly star/completion percentage-wise, even though my goal was just to make somewhat normal Mario platforming levels. Either I'm doing something wrong, or people just don't want that type of levels.

Will do! I expect feedback from you in exchange! :)
Starred! Finished it on my first try. No complaints, the obstacles are indicated well. A bit too short though.

Amiibo Trails: Mario Kart - Very nice. At first I didn't watch the lower side of the level and did some mistakes on my part. Long story short, at the end I was standing in front of the last wall like an idiot, since I didn't know what to do. THEN I played it again and saw the shell at the lower part and well, I came second. :c

A star would be nice, since it plays the Super Mario Kart Star Theme.

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-2 - Very nice looking, kinda difficult. I didn't know what to do first, then I followed a passage to find a koopa and with him a could hit that one question block with the spikey shell. However I destroyed both by hitting them together. lol. Didn't finish it, but will.

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-1 - Involves some backtracking, which is fine per se, but I don't know if most of the casual people (you know, the noobs) get that. That place with the thousands of donut blocks was both great and difficult. The Idea is brilliant, but the last Wiggler killed me. :c

Anyhow, Starred all of them and follow you. Will play the rest of your levels soon.

Did you break the ice blocks for the respawning spiky shell before?

Thanks for your feedback!

Thud

Thanks for the honest advice!

It's really interesting how playing your own levels is completely different from playing others. I honestly really like my frustrating thwomp level, so I'll prob redesign the other one first, as to me its flaws are more apparent.

however,I'll likely redesign both levels when I have time. I've favorited who I believe you are, and will give your levels a go.

I played a few of your levels and only ashley's adventure II was really worthwhile. The other ashley levels are way too punishing. And the thing in II, you'll waste a lot of time exploring the level and failing jumps and stuff.

I think you'll do fine if you strike a balance in what you want and what players want. It's okay to make hard levels, but make it so mistakes are on the player. That way you won't scare off the people that do play your level.

Let me know when you've finished your redesigns, I'll give them a good playtest :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nothing to do this evening, so...I can play more levels, feedbacks included.

BB7F-0000-0063-A9BA

Sorry, I couldn't complete it, and I don't think I'm going to replay it soon. It's way too difficult, too many things hitting you at once and you'd need to stop and think about your next move, but between
flying enemies, cloud not lasting forever, lava balls, all surrounded by spikes...it's too much :(
It's frustrating, I'm sorry to say that

"Game and Watch Gallery"
ID: C8BC-0000-007D-B926

Inventive and well executed. I think
the Oil Panic section is too difficult, though, the difficulty ramps up way too quickly.
You should try to add some checkpoints as well, given the length of the level. Good job.

Frost Fossil Depths
Stage ID: 232B-0000-0072-C515

Very cool stage, challenging but fair enough. I love, love how it looks. Great flow too, good use of icy blocks. A great level overall.

Super Mario Adventure: World 1-3
Code: A95B-0000-007F-8986

A bit more though than I thought, but very good level, with great platforming, good use of the autoscrolling and still good aesthetics (coherent enough with the 1-1 I played already).

Jump to the rhythm C71B-0000-007E-9E02

Neat quick, straightforward level. Completed in 15 seconds.

Grow with the Flow: (DE34-0000-0063-6259)

Good, good, goood! It's quite hard, but fair. It's your fault if you die, not the level throwing at you things out of nowhere. I quite liked it, also because I love the concept of vines on trails (I tried to execute it in one of my levels, Liane mobili sottoterra) :D

KingBroly

Banned
One more Expert run and I can focus on Gnat Attack...then making levels and playing Gaf levels. UGH. So much Hell. This last run was better than the prior run, but it still wasn't very pretty. I got through a couple of trash levels, actually. Just awful.

There's going to be a massive release of tension when I finally get the final costumes. I wish Gnat Attack wasn't so damn rough. >_<

urfe

I played a few of your levels and only ashley's adventure II was really worthwhile. The other ashley levels are way too punishing. And the thing in II, you'll waste a lot of time exploring the level and failing jumps and stuff.

I think you'll do fine if you strike a balance in what you want and what players want. It's okay to make hard levels, but make it so mistakes are on the player. That way you won't scare off the people that do play your level.

Let me know when you've finished your redesigns, I'll give them a good playtest :)

I like the idea of difficult jumps where you don't get punished with death, and it takes only about 3 seconds again.

Perhaps even so, if a person can't do it after the 3rd or 4th time they would get tired of it.

The first Ashley level I thought was easy, despite the two big jumps, but that's just running and jumping. Perhaps due to being at the top, they're hard to judge.

Anyways, I like the advice. I think my levels work with sharing with friends and family, but if I want to be serious about receiving stars, they do need some work.

I probably won't have time until mid October, so I'll wait and see how my levels do until then as well.

octopiggy

One more Expert run and I can focus on Gnat Attack...then making levels and playing Gaf levels. UGH. So much Hell. This last run was better than the prior run, but it still wasn't very pretty. I got through a couple of trash levels, actually. Just awful.

There's going to be a massive release of tension when I finally get the final costumes. I wish Gnat Attack wasn't so damn rough. >_<

How many costumes have you got left to collect?

BowieZ

Banned
Very nice looking level. A bit slow, since it's quite easy but it's only 1-3 after all. The secret pipe seemed impossible to take on my 2 first tries! Good job, starred!
Note : You can get vaught by surprise by red koopas when you jump up because they are off screen sometimes!
Awaiting feedback from you now ;)
Yeah, I actually decided to add in some of the koopas to spice up the level a bit, and in doing so, tried to be cautious that there were no strictly unfair ones, but impatient players may get hurt; but there are plenty of power-ups to forgive them.

And yes, that secret pipe is a doozy, and would obviously benefit from a checkpoint.

Just played Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-2 (581D-0000-007F-C2BE), marvellous job! Found a few secret 1ups and shortcuts. I was a bit confused at first how to deal with the skeleton raft thwomps, and the spring/thwomp/koopa/helmet section had me thoroughly bumfuzzled but fortunately when I figure out the gist of it I had enough time to make it to the end!

Nothing like a creatively bankrupt sequel stage! I'd call it a cashstar grab but I'm pretty sure the only reason Smokin' Skull Stream is by far and away my most popular stage is because it had the right place, right time fortune of being the first GAF community spotlight (and thanks again, never had to worry about reaching my level limit thanks to that in part).
In any case I felt like playing with fire once again and I just love the SMW castle theme too much to not head back again so....

Skull Stream 2: Lakitu's Lockup (8529-0000-007F-E6AD)
WVW69icJh9cwmEmmGY

Maybe Smokin' Snake Blocks would make more sense considering some sections here, not much one can do with leaving the slower skull platforms on lava, I think I've thoroughly explored them at this point so there's not actually much of them.
I think this may be easier than the original stage with one exception that can either go as planned or will be the slayer of many and this is the main thing I think I'll need feedback for...

So true to the stage's title the finale is a makeshift "boss" room against a fireball chucking Lakitu, there's two ways to escape his trap and that's with either a cape or Lakitu's cloud.
On paper it should be simple enough, Lakitu lurks just above the lava but below some donut planks, so you can either try and bop him or catch one of the feathers spewing from the three pipes in the arena, that said they're only catchable for a brief moment.

Now the thing here is I really am not much of a fan of the more random elements of this game like Lakitu and Bowser who can sometimes just bugger up the balance of a level, but ever since I found out Lakitu can add podoboos/fireballs to lava and have them function as they should afterwards I've wanted to use this some way, thing is it doesn't take too long for Lakitu to overwhelm (to think I originally had two of them) and this can also make getting a run up for the cape a bit luck based.

So basically if this is a complete mess by all means tell me and I'll retool it.

Whacker Mole Hollow has a 4% completion rate :/
70 people attempted it 148 times. Just 6 completes. So obviously the puzzle is too obscure and I kinda regret that.

(Assuming you figured out the doorstep trick but got stuck after that... there's naturally a way to trigger the ?-switch, but you need to trigger something else first! Hint: what have you been triggering throughout the level that might be able to help you? Question is, how do you get close enough to trigger it?)
If this means a mole can press that otherwise unreachable switch then I may return to test this theory.

Though I swear when I made my Monty Mole challenge I found the guy doesn't actually push switches so I may still be on the wrong track here.

Grow with the Flow was awesome! Dodging stuff on vines is a refreshing change after so much platforming. Except that 1up trick near the start caused all of my deaths, the rest of the level was fortunately in one go! Unease on the Seas was very well designed. One of the best 'airship' levels! Thank God I didn't follow the bullet bills off the end of the ship though (where you get the fireworks effect), as nothing is after it. Would've made a good secret!
That 1UP block was a kinda last second addition when I remembered that you could just hop on the ? block to cross the gap and never bother knocking a shell into it to unleash the vine, I figured I'd give something for those that didn't just hop over without the vine.

As for that last point, while I do like putting in little extras or short cuts for the inquisitive sorts on this occasion there's nothing beyond so good thing you turned back.

Typically when someone reaches a space they don't need to be in on a stage of mine that takes some effort or thought to bother reaching I just drop that creepy mario paint baby face sound effect on there, it's becoming my equivalent to stuff like Perfect Dark's hidden cheese wedges.

Neiteio

I've been living and breathing MGSV for all of September. I've had Mario Maker since it came out, but I haven't booted it up yet. Hopefully someone can compile a list for me of courses to try. I'd be happy to comment on all of them once I complete my current obsession. "Snaaaaaaaaaaaake!"

I probably have the most people hating my levels yet the completion rates are strangely high for my most notorious level.

Like really, 60% completion with like 180 played.

I swear I'll get people to hate me at the end of all this with these max timeout levels lol.

BowieZ

Banned
Nothing like a creatively bankrupt sequel stage! I'd call it a cashstar grab but I'm pretty sure the only reason Smokin' Skull Stream is by far and away my most popular stage is because it had the right place, right time fortune of being the first GAF community spotlight (and thanks again, never had to worry about reaching my level limit thanks to that in part).
In any case I felt like playing with fire once again and I just love the SMW castle theme too much to not head back again so....

Skull Stream 2: Lakitu's Lockup (8529-0000-007F-E6AD)
WVW69icJh9cwmEmmGY

Maybe Smokin' Snake Blocks would make more sense considering some sections here, not much one can do with leaving the slower skull platforms on lava, I think I've thoroughly explored them at this point so there's not actually much of them.
I think this may be easier than the original stage with one exception that can either go as planned or will be the slayer of many and this is the main thing I think I'll need feedback for...

So true to the stage's title the finale is a makeshift "boss" room against a fireball chucking Lakitu, there's two ways to escape his trap and that's with either a cape or Lakitu's cloud.
On paper it should be simple enough, Lakitu lurks just above the lava but below some donut planks, so you can either try and bop him or catch one of the feathers spewing from the three pipes in the arena, that said they're only catchable for a brief moment.

Now the thing here is I really am not much of a fan of the more random elements of this game like Lakitu and Bowser who can sometimes just bugger up the balance of a level, but ever since I found out Lakitu can add podoboos/fireballs to lava and have them function as they should afterwards I've wanted to use this some way, thing is it doesn't take too long for Lakitu to overwhelm (to think I originally had two of them) and this can also make getting a run up for the cape a bit luck based.

So basically if this is a complete mess by all means tell me and I'll retool it.
Jesus, the most horrifying part was the bullet bill riding the boo lol (the first one especially, but the giant one at the end was also horrifying). It was really fun, and although challenging did it in my first attempt. The boss fight was a little confusing though. It didn't feel like I was meant to kill him with my cape on the pipe. And flying up top was hard with all the podoboos.

All my other levels I thought weren't TOO difficult but seeing my completion % numbers at around 2-5% for most of my levels I decided to intentionally try and make a slower, easier, more Nintendo-like level. So far it's been better with a 16% finish rate. Give it a try and tell me what you think.

Pipes, Springs, and Koopas! Oh My!
23FE-0000-0078-6937

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
After having fun doing some improvised Mario parkour in my previous level (Cloudhigh Skyway: 8296-0000-007B-DDC8), I thought I'd try building an entire level around it. The idea is to go from start to finish without breaking your momentum. There are two parkour routes: follow the coins and keep going up, or drop down into the first pipe (there are arrows to help). If you mistime a jump on the upper route and drop down, there's a bog standard World 1-style level to explore with three 1ups to find. There's no time or coin advantage to taking either the upper or lower routes.

parkour%20plains_zpsrxnqkrtw.jpg

PARKOUR PLAINS
Code: 9AA6-0000-007C-A805

Style: NSMBU
Time Limit: 100secs (should take around 20)
Secrets: Three 1ups (only if you're not parkour-ing)
Additional Challenge: Take the subway (aka: go down the first pipe)
Enjoyable level, I replayed it a few times to check out the other paths.

I've been (slowly, because of my usual lack of time) experimenting on a concept with a few striking similarities (NSMBU theme with grass/underground, level design aimed at favoring parkouring, even a subway!) but with a widely different focus. I'm curious myself to see how that turns out.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Okay, I need some feedback...

I have a level with what I thought was a fun gimmick -- however, I hate 'autoplay' levels, so I put the gimmick into the second half of the level, behind what I thought was a straight-forward, normal level with just a few challenging aspects.

My younger sister tells me she hates me and I'm evil as she plays the level, and never gets to the fun part.

Would someone tell me how bad/evil/whatever I am?

Plumbers Can Surf.... right?: 3637-0000-004F-F457

I thought the opening was fair, but perhaps I went a bit too far. Nothing is impossible, though, and I do telegraph everything - perhaps I need to fix the Goomba on the grinder platform.

Three other "normal"-type levels:

Parallel Plumbing - 7D2E-0000-002C-7B17
Bob-Omb Madness - E1E5-0000-001D-F02B

Liquid Space - 626B-0000-0040-6641 (It's a shooting level that, in my opinion, feels/controls better than the typical underwater shooting gimmicks you see. I tried someone slightly different.)

Hmm... I feel... evil.

Don't Push the Button - F877-0000-002C-EE1D

Under The Starry Sky
4694-0000-004D-7DD7

Sky High Cargo Chase
CB2D-0000-006C-86F8

Would love feedback on either of these levels

_______

I played Sawblade Bridge. Actually a very solid level. You did a good job. Not particularly difficult and it was a solid length. I think one thing you need to be careful with is starting levels already elevated. Because of the way the screen scrolls in this game panning amd seeing obstacles can be difficult. There is one point on the first section where the screen pan creates an unseeable jump. In general just try to be cautious of situations like that. I really like the type of level you created. Will play more of your levels :)

Edit: You know its a damn shame more people aren't playing your levels. They are actually quite good. I really really liked Destroy The Sunken Frigate. Its a tad too long but I really think its a superbly crafted level in difficulty, theme and fun. Good job man. Keep on keeping on.

ciD_Vain

Under The Starry Sky
4694-0000-004D-7DD7

Sky High Cargo Chase
CB2D-0000-006C-86F8

Would love feedback on either of these levels
Just played and starred both levels! Enjoyed them a lot, especially the hidden area of the airship level.

I've had a go at a gravity-flipping level, Downside-Up. It's much easier than my recent levels!

C6C1-0000-0080-090F
Fun idea and simple design but super short!
Another Toad in the Wall (F3C2-0000-0080-207D)
Leave them Toads alone! It's a small puzzle level. Starred and commented!

RrMEax1.png
Another fun yet short puzzle level! Starred and commented!

Chopper

Okay guys, this one took me a few days on and off. That doesn't mean this level is a masterpiece by any means but hopefully I managed to pull off having a working level for the most part.

Here is "Bypass the Block Checkpoint", a level about Mario having to get past a small fortification equipped with cannons and stationed by some of Bowser's minions.

(6085-0000-0080-3D0E)

CDtDWKf.jpg

---

Previous levels:
9F97-0000-0067-DB26 - Forest Owlventure, a level themed around an Animal Crossing amiibo character and having bright forest visuals
49A8-0000-005A-4E4C (easy version: 044F-0000-0066-F959) - Long Neglected Mining Cavern, underground level filled with Buzzy Beetles and Moles and collapsed bridges
4E90-0000-003F-918E - Moving Parts May Be Present, moving platform and conveyer belt puzzle level
039D-0000-0035-25F7 - Balcony, ghost mansion level (not a door maze)
0150-0000-0030-7F09 - Misty Docks, undead themed level
2B71-0000-0027-A12F - "Into the Heart", level where you descend into a Bowser castle
0415-0000-0021-2DBA - Cheep Cheep spam level
2D77-0000-0019-BF96 - Piranha Plants on bounce springs level

BooJoh

Here's my notes for the second batch of 1-1 levels. As always, I focused mostly on criticisms and everyone got a star from me.

Conor_Fool - P-ractice
Pretty good overall. The first mushroom probably shouldn't go through enemies and directly to a pit.

Peltz - NeoGAF... Believe!
Not bad, the sub-level area was a little annoying with the springs, and the enemies between pillars are probably a bigger challenge than you'd expect for newer players.

Finn - Rocky Roads
This is a good and fun level, but the difficulty would put it somewhere in mid-to-late game, not 1-1.

xandaca - The Beginner's Guide To Mario
A little too much going on for a 1-1, especially in the sub-area, which became a small level unto itself.

Silent_Ocarina - Alternate World 1-1
Felt like a genuine 1-1. No big gripes with this one.

correojon - Super Mario World 1-0.5
Good concept and fun level, but either half on its own would be too complex for a 1-1. Both together would probably overwhelm the average player. There was one fire flower that only has one space above the block, meaning if you took one hit and are still big you can't get it.

KooopaKid - Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-1
Another good level that's far too advanced for a 1-1.

OmegaDL50 - Omega Mario 1-1
Pretty good. Hiding the leaf underground and behind a P-Switch was an odd choice. I might've given a little more time. A new player probably shouldn't hear the "hurry up" music in 1-1, even if they dawdle.

balladofwindfishes - Dinosaur Plains
Good level. The cluster of pipes in the middle with jumping piranhas could be a little intimidating, but overall not bad.

Gsnap - 1-1 Galoomba Hills
Getting past the very first pipe right after starting the game shouldn't require a running jump toward an enemy. I understand people like to hide secret "expert" areas in their levels, but I don't think 1-1 is the place for these if a newbie might stumble upon them. To be fair yours was fairly well hidden as newbies are concerned.

El Pescado - Pesca 1-1
Pretty good, felt like it could be in a real Mario game.

Kebiinu - Koopa Trails (Level 1-1)
Good level. A pipe skipped most of the level, but the original 1-1 did that too.

Belgian Dude - Super Climber Bros. 1-1
Fun and unique. Almost felt like Mario meets Kid Icarus. Levels like this are why SMM needs a vertical level option.

Azure Dream - 1-1 Summer Stroll
Pretty good. This actually taught me that a Spiny helm can break ice blocks. The floating platforms ended up spawning in sync for me which made the jump between them more difficult than it should be, but that probably wasn't by design.

Lulzwagon - Mario & Luigi: Partners in Grime
Not bad, the switching between the brothers just seemed like it was happening arbitrarily.

Chopper - 1-1, A Bit of Fun!
Too advanced for a 1-1.

Boba2007 - 1-1 Koopa Field
Pretty good, believable Mario level.

SalvaPot

I just had a friend over who had never played Mario in his life (He is a top smash player her on our region, ironically one of his mains is Dr. Mario), so I had him try this new level I made, it was hard but he really enjoyed it, I was afraid it would be too hard or frustrating but his experience made me think it was just right, he had fun.

JiliK

Okay, I need some feedback...

I have a level with what I thought was a fun gimmick -- however, I hate 'autoplay' levels, so I put the gimmick into the second half of the level, behind what I thought was a straight-forward, normal level with just a few challenging aspects.

My younger sister tells me she hates me and I'm evil as she plays the level, and never gets to the fun part.

Would someone tell me how bad/evil/whatever I am?

Plumbers Can Surf.... right?: 3637-0000-004F-F457

It's not too bad. I did get caught off guard by the goomba on the track platform a couple of times though.

All my other levels I thought weren't TOO difficult but seeing my completion % numbers at around 2-5% for most of my levels I decided to intentionally try and make a slower, easier, more Nintendo-like level. So far it's been better with a 16% finish rate. Give it a try and tell me what you think.

Pipes, Springs, and Koopas! Oh My!
23FE-0000-0078-6937

It's a pretty good level! The one thing I'd suggest though is making it more clear that you need to go down the first pipe rather than attempting a blind jump into the big gap after it. For whatever reason, that was my first instinct here. I guess it doesn't help that there are a bunch of levels out there that do expect you to do just that.

markiemak

Neo Member
A tribute to Tom Nook and his monopoly on interior designing (from Animal Crossing, of course):

Tom Nook's Odd House Inspection

(96C0-0000-0080-479A)

A classic platforming level with some tricky parts. Please let me know what you think!

SalvaPot

Here is the level if anyone wants to enjoy it, two paths, one focuses on jumps, the other on patience. I wish Skulls could be longer but oh well, that made the level more chaotic. Enjoy!

Jumping Crusade: E589-0000-0080-46FB

WVW69icK8UcdUWduGE

Man I feel so creatively bankrupt right now. Not an original idea in my mind :/ I wish the game had alternate music for every stage. Or at least the athletic theme for smb3

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Man I feel so creatively bankrupt right now. Not an original idea in my mind :/ I wish the game had alternate music for every stage. Or at least the athletic theme for smb3

Not only the ability to select from different songs, but I also wish we could do "beach" style levels. I'm not sure what their actual name is, these are the ones with water at the bottom, but you spend most of the time platforming above it. It's basically the only platform style level where there isn't instant death upon falling.

Plus Boss Bass as a new enemy!

Not only the ability to select from different songs, but I also wish we could do "beach" style levels. I'm not sure what their actual name is, these are the ones with water at the bottom, but you spend most of the time platforming above it. It's basically the only platform style level where there isn't instant death upon falling.

Plus Boss Bass as a new enemy!

We could use more themes and alternate colors on existing themes as well. Night airship, black water, fall grass land colors etc. Toss in a few more tracks. I also would like the spin blocks from super mario bros 3 and the ability to put water/lava in any stage and contained in any blocks.

ohNOitsRO

Alright I tweaked the Game and Watch Gallery stage I made:

6A2E-0000-0080-5FFE

I tweaked the oil panic part, it's much much easier now and made the manhole part a little shorter so the wait isn't as bad for the turtle. I also added coins to the octopus part because the whole point of the original was to dodge the octopus and steal it's treasure xD

Any feedback is so fucking appreciated you don't even know

WVW69icIBNIOOOF18x

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) - 106F-0000-007F-7AFD

- It's New Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)! A brand new Mario 1 NES level but with a NSMB2-styled all gold everything is the important part theme. Collect as many coins as you can find!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
We could use more themes and alternate colors on existing themes as well. Night airship, black water, fall grass land colors etc. Toss in a few more tracks. I also would like the spin blocks from super mario bros 3 and the ability to put water/lava in any stage and contained in any blocks.

I wouldn't be mad if they did more game specific stuff either, I just want more options in general.

I was thinking about those spinning blocks today, and I also tried putting bob-ombs into the canons which I thought would be a no-brainer.

Neoweee

Soaring Spike Top Fleet
0FB0-0000-0080-6B56
Difficulty 2.5/5?
(Last stage of world two of a full campaign I am working on)

A fairly short but interesting airship scrolling level.

The Magikoopa trio isn't meant to be fought, it is there just to apply a slight bit of pressure and to lead in to later appearances by them.

ElRenoRaven

Damn these limitations are annoying. As part of my method to learn how to make levels in the vein of the old games I've been working on recreating old maps. Today's plan was SMB 1-2. It's impossible to recreate perfectly as far as I can tell.

Since it takes place underground of course have to make the 1st plane above ground to create the entrance and exit sections. This is where the problem comes in because if you use the 2nd plane for the bulk of the stage you can't then do it's bonus room because that would warp you back to the 1st plane which has to be surface themed.

Lift wise I got that solved. I just made a conveyor of lift track with about 6 on it with them falling off the end. If you haven't jumped that gap by then you run out of lifts but at least it looks true to the original. It's so frustrating though. I really wish they had given you the option to break up planes theme wise. The game has so much potential but they put too many limitations on. I wish you could somehow break a plane up and make sections of it different themes. Either that or give us a 3rd plane. That way you could use one for surface stuff, 3rd for underground stuff, then 3rd for the bonus room.

GRRRRRRR

Jaymageck

The Maze Beyond: 6A64-0000-0080-4B6C

sngKe0D.jpg

Difficulty: Medium to hard

Description: An auto-scrolling ghost house level. There are a few paths to the end, but also a number of wrong turns (although I've structured the level that most of them wont penalize you with death, although there's not much I can do if you get caught in the middle of one of the maze segments).

B_Bech

Hotfoot in Mount Fire Flower

(EF39-0000-0080-79F2)

WVW69icMKtEp5Fuq-I

WVW69icMLNQY8tX7fK

I'm back with another themed level. Given the success of my water level, I decided to stick with the elements and move onto fire. What better way to accomplish a "fire level" than setting it inside a volcano? Cliche, I know... but the "volcano level" is a classic platformer staple for a reason. Lava is instant death. That means all your jumps matter. It's fluff though, really, once you consider the fact that missing a pit jump is essentially always a death. It's the visual that gets you. You feel it when Mario sinks into the lava, yelping out in pain. Not to get dark here, but it's a gruesome image that stays with you... Now, fire levels are still hard, don't get me wrong-- it's just half of that is psychological.

This is the concept I built "Hotfoot in Mount Fire Flower" around. The stage is, in truth, rather mild, despite all the hazards it throws at you. You'll probably need to do a bit of trial and error to understand the tricky little twist I threw in, but other than that it can't even hold a candle to the difficulty of most of my stages. I guarantee you'll be sweating each jump regardless. I've honed the atmosphere specifically to capitalize on the player's fears.

Give it a shot, I'm sure you'll see what I mean. Heh.

Oh, and I hope the aesthetic I went for this time around worked... There's no real desert/ lava world theme so I had to do my usual improvising. If you find yourself needing to cool off after this stage, be sure to try my other latest stage: Tanooki City Sewer
(D71E-0000-007D-AE22). That stage is the product of my own personal goal in Mario Maker: make a water stage people will enjoy.

I really hope to get some feedback, and I'll gladly play any levels you want me to test now that I'm finished up.

Platy

Here's a tutorial
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805618-super-mario-maker/72481056

You just need to know how to read musical notes so this kind of levels take some time to create and pull right but I guess it will be worth it since this levels become popular very quick on course world.

Yeah for someone with almost no musical background it took me 2 hours to make a simple version of do re mi song (with 24 notes) =|

Maybe my idea of simple platforming with background sound will have to wait a little xD

Top Bottom