• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 5 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Today is double feature day for me and I'm at a loss regarding what I should watch. Any hidden gems on Netflix?

Dead End, if it's still on there.

Christmas Eve. On his way to his in-laws with his family, Frank Harrington decides to try a shortcut, for the first time in 20 years. It turns out to be the biggest mistake of his life.

Or Pontypool, that's a really good one too.

Number_6

I figured it was something along those lines when
the mom goes into the basement and the Babadook presented itself to her as her dead husband.
It makes sense and everything, but I guess I was hoping for something a bit more terrifying. But I understand that this is meant to be a psychological horror first and foremost. I just wish the scares had a bit more meat on them. Kinda like The Descent. That's a nice mix of psychological horror with great tension and great scares. But I don't want to sound like I'm really down on the movie. I really did like it a lot, aside from the ending.

The terrifying bit was
it was the mother all along and every time that kid was in danger it was actually his own mother trying to kill him.
The ending is scary because
the mother who came so close to kill lling her own son still has those feelings deep down.

Ridley327

October 10

Y30DTfb.jpg

A kind of reworking of the classic Dracula tale, Vampyros Lesbos isn't what you would call a Gothic horror, but Jess Franco does well to enhance the more modern trappings with some keen architecture and a rather explosive use of color, giving it a psychedelic vibe that feels quite palpable. Familiarity with Dracula is rather helpful here, as it's a bit fun to see who is supposed to be who (and which characters some are amalgamations of) and it also helps keep the story straight since the film isn't going to do you too many favors in that regard. It's the kind of film more concerned with mood and texture, which suits Franco's talents just fine, as he feels comfortable when he's not having to try and tell a story. It is Jess Franco, though, so there are a lot of random zooms and inexplicable long takes (often featuring random zooms!) to have to sort through, but I do feel like this one of those films where the sum is greater than some of the parts that go into it. He does get a hell of a lot of help in the forms of both Soledad Miranda and Ewa Stromberg, both rather stunning beauties that compliment each other quite well and build a rather strong rapport with each other that makes watching them together compelling even without their frequent nudity. I will admit that there is a bit of an untraceable element to the film that makes me find it a good one, but hey, I like what I like. Not for all tastes, but I don't doubt this to be at the top of the Franco heap, and I have no problems calling it a fine film with only few reservations.

She Killed in Ecstasy has a bit of a more polished sheen to it than its immediate predecessor, and naturally features the same strength in the rather compelling visage and form of Soledad Miranda. While I wouldn't call her a great actress from a raw acting perspective, the camera clearly loves her, and she frequently makes a good case for being the kind of leading woman for horror films that she would have likely been if her life hadn't been cut so damn short. She is simultaneously dangerous and endangered, making it easy to buy into her ruthlessness and persistence (not a good film for those men with a fear of castration!), while having a kind of vulnerability that gets more and more difficult for her to mask as she reaches towards her bloody goal. Since the film does feature a lot of the same cast and crew, there are certainly some striking similarities to be had, but one difference that seemed readily apparent is that Franco traded in the crazy colors of Vampyros Lesbos for tighter framing, leading to some rather pleasant and memorable images. He even takes it a bit easier on the zooms, though it is still unmistakably a Jess Franco film in that regard. If it does have a misstep compared to its predecessor, it's somewhat of a necessary one as it's a bit more plot reliant, requiring a longer setup that makes the beginning of the film feel a lot longer than it actually is. There is an amusing element to it that we are effectively rooting for the villain in a way, as it does set up the late Dr. Johnson as a bit of a mad scientist with some serious rejection issues, but I'm not entirely too sure if that's intentional. Other than that, I was impressed by how damn kinky it gets; each of the victims seems to have their own way to get their rocks off that Mrs. Johnson takes advantage of, which certainly makes for some rather memorable deaths and some interesting editing decisions to have Mrs. Johnson fantasize about her dead husband while "performing," which gets a big, icky payoff before the film ends that is certain to stick with you, even if it's not nearly as graphic as you might think. It might ultimately be something of a lateral move for Franco, but it's still a fine film all the same, and does cement my opinion of the man as being talented, if not as picky as he ought to be.

Film for October 11: While they somewhat sputtered by the end of their tenure during the 70s, there was still some life left in Hammer Films before they went on hiatus. The Karnstein Trilogy stood as one of their more notable cycles, but my research has pointed to Hands of the Ripper as being one of their real gems, combining psychological horror with more graphic violence to go with the usual Hammer goodness. It's time to find out for myself!

7) The Final Girls
Really good stuff. Didn't feel forced at all. Would love to see a sequel. Prob my fave flick I've watched so far since the challenge.

I had no idea this was available on VOD already, thank you so much for reminding me! Just finished it a few minutes ago myself and have to agree with everything you said, it was really fantastic and so much fun to watch. Instant classic as far as I'm concerned.

Fox Mulder

That was one of those Twilight time releases. They only make a limited supply of each bluray they release, as a result they often sell out fast and the prices get jacked up online. Christine and The Blob are two more titles they released, luckily Sony got the rights back to Christine (which resulted in a new Tennessee) so hopefully the rights for the other two go to a different studio as well.

Sony didnt care to release it before in the US and licensed it to twilight time. It's nice that TT releases catalog movies in small numbers that major studios don't care to put out for whatever reason.

I imported the region free release of fright night and passed on the twilight time rerelease.

Ridley327

FWIW, I think that the German Blu-ray of Fright Night is identical to the original release Twilight Time did, minus the isolated score option, and it's region free. If you want the film, that's the best route to go. The new features on the more recent Twilight Time Blu-ray are pretty awesome, though, so you'd be missing out on those.

tav7623

Thanks for the info guys, unfortunately I'm one of those guys who are a sucker for DVD/Blu Ray bonus features (9 times out of 10 I'll check out most if not all of the bonus features included in the DVD/Blu Ray discs regardless of how in depth it is so I tend to pick and choose discs/releases that have a bunch of extra bonus features) so I guess I'll play the waiting game and hope I get lucky enough to find/pick up a copy for cheap in a couple of months.

tav7623

10. Deep Rising (Watched on 10/10/15) - I know a few people who don't care for this movie, but I for some reason really like it despite the bad CGI monsters. Maybe it's its B-movie monster movie charm or maybe it's Jerry Goldsmith's (imo) awesome soundtrack, maybe it's the main cast (Famke Jensen of X-Men fame, Trent Williams, Kevin J. O'Conner aka Benny Brendan Fraiser's little friend from The Mummy, Anthony Heald aka Dr. Chilton from Silence of the Lambs, and Wes Studi aka Sagat from Street Fighter: The Movie to name a few), either way I really enjoyed this movie.

8. The Fly (1958) "Help me! Help me!"

This was a pretty good movie, even if it takes a while to build up to the teleportation accident, but you can still enjoy the build-up on Andre working on his Star Trek transporter Wonkavision teleporter. The whole human/fly teleportation accident was supposed to be a twist, which would explain why Helene is being so vague at the beginning. Vincent Price, although a secondary character and not around as much as you'd think, is always nice to have. Maybe you'll think twice before swatting that pesky fly.

Full list

inm8num2

#10 - Night of the Living Dead (1990)
wKmWl8z.jpg

The best horror remakes (or movie remakes in general) seem to be the ones that take the fundamental setup of the original film and mold it into a new story (The Fly, Dawn of the Dead, The Thing, etc.). Night of the Living Dead (1990) is on the opposite end of the spectrum - it changes very little. And yet, this remake mostly works as a faithful recreation of the original's story and scares. It's still gory (without being too gory), there's a little more action, Barbara is a stronger character, and the revised ending works well. While the remake lacks the powerful historical context and subtlety of the original Night of the Living Dead, it simply puts on a good show.

viewing list

BioHazard

I'm behind on my posts, but here's three more:

gPmrseH.png

#12. Begotten (1991)

Viewed On: DVD

I've never seen this cult classic before so I'm glad I finally got around to checking it out. This film can pretty visually overwhelming and is quite the unsettling experience. What makes this film great is not just it's startling style but also the horror of this film is just primal and raw. Bordering on the threshold of experimental and narrative film, this is one you're sure not to forget or see anywhere else.

I give this film 4 bags of popcorn (out of 5)

ABOOaSs.png

#13. Urban Legend (1998)

Viewed On: Blu-Ray

Ah, this sweet piece of nostalgia from the influx of 90s teen slashers after the success of Scream. Not really a great film and so cliched-ridden by today's standards you'd think it's more of a horror comedy. I still to this day love the, THERES SOMEONE IN THE BACKSEEEEEEEEEEAAAATTTTTTT bit. Also early Jared Leto

I give this film 3 bags of popcorn (out of 5)

gNNslLi.png

#14. Silent House (2011)

Viewed On: Blu-Ray

The US remake of La Casa Muda from 2010. Shot to seem like it is one long, unbroken tracking shot this film starts out as a pretty standard haunted house film. As it starts off it has some genuinely creepy moments, but not enough to sustain the entire duration of the film. It's a little repetitive and boring at times. The story takes a turn for the worse near the end. Overall, it's a solid film and not too long.

I give this film 3 bags of popcorn (out of 5)

My watched list so far

Rydeen

Not yet. I'm really conflicted on it and not sure what I want to say about it. I really want to give it a second watch but I haven't had a chance. I might try to squeeze in listening to the commentary first too.

I'll probably do my write up today though because it's making me fall behind.
Make sure you watch the making of doc on the disc, because it gave me a greater respect for how Astron-6 had literally nothing to work with and a crew member that was sabotaging the production and THEY STILL made the damn movie.

Linkhero1

31 Days of Horror
Pre-31 Days of Horror 1 - Behind the Mask
Pre-31 Days of Horror 2 - Unfriended
Day 1 - The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
Day 2 - The Thing (1982)
Day 3 - The Cabinet of Dr. Calagari
Day 3 Double Feature - Dead Silence
Day 4 - Black Death
Day 5 - Maniac Cop
Day 6 - The Omen (1976)
Day 7 - Creep (2014)
Day 8 - The Taking of Deborah Logan
Day 9 - The Return of the Living Dead
Day 10 - ATM
Day 10 Double Feature - From Dusk Till Dawn

ATM
I've seen this one mentioned a few times on GAF, but haven't read what people thought about it too much. Out of desperation and lack of time to find something shorter, I went ahead and watched this. It was a pretty lackluster experience overall. This movie was plagued by lousy writing and poor acting. The premise was pretty faulty from the get-go, but curiosity might get the better of you and allow you to power through this film. The ending was not bad I must say. Aside from that, I don't think there was enough good where to warrant a recommendation from me.

Rating: Skip

From Dusk Till Dawn
I've heard about the film countless times and have seen it on lists during past 31 Days of Horror. I'll be real with you guys...I'm not a vampire person which is why I've put this film off until now, but I've been open to more horror themes as of late. That being said, I absolutely loved this movie. Everything about it was magnificent. An hour into the film, I wondered where the fuck the vampires were and felt that they weren't going to play a big role in the movie. The tone of the film shifts dramatically and it pays off. Clooney and Tarantino were a terrific duo with great chemistry. The film left me wanting more. I know they made a few sequels, but I doubt they'll be as good without Clooney and Tarantino side by side. Anyways, this is a MUST WATCH for all you horror fans looking for a bit more action in your horror movie.

Rating: MUST WATCH

Dead End, if it's still on there.

Or Pontypool, that's a really good one too.

I've seen both and they were great, especially Pontypool. I ended up watching ATM :(

ElTopo

Banned
From Dusk Till Dawn
I've heard about the film countless times and have seen it on lists during past 31 Days of Horror. I'll be real with you guys...I'm not a vampire person which is why I've put this film off until now, but I've been open to more horror themes as of late. That being said, I absolutely loved this movie. Everything about it was magnificent. An hour into the film, I wondered where the fuck the vampires were and felt that they weren't going to play a big role in the movie. The tone of the film shifts dramatically and it pays off. Clooney and Tarantino were a terrific duo with great chemistry. The film left me wanting more. I know they made a few sequels, but I doubt they'll be as good without Clooney and Tarantino side by side. Anyways, this is a MUST WATCH for all you horror fans looking for a bit more action in your horror movie.

Rating: MUST WATCH

I've seen both and they were great, especially Pontypool. I ended up watching ATM :(

You might like The Hunger or 30 Days of Night.

yeah, ATM didn't look that good. Well, for next time, maybe look into Below, The Pact, or Grabbers? (The last one is more a horror-comedy.) Despite their lackluster covers + synopses, they're all generally solid flicks. And even though it's not much of a "horror" movie (more along the lines of something like The Orphanage), I remember The Awakening being pretty good too.

jqhEcfP.png

Not bad for a post-Scream slasher in the 90s. This wasn't great by any means but the concept of recreating urban legens was pretty fun.
Sasha's chase scene
was pretty good as well.

OP

Sony didnt care to release it before in the US and licensed it to twilight time. It's nice that TT releases catalog movies in small numbers that major studios don't care to put out for whatever reason.

I imported the region free release of fright night and passed on the twilight time rerelease.

Yeah, you're right. Sony basically just ported Twilight Times work over for their release so if it wasn't for the work TT put in then we wouldn't have ever gotten Christine blu. The limited edition thing is still frustrating.

I'll look into importing Fright Night, I didn't know there was a region free release.

Make sure you watch the making of doc on the disc, because it gave me a greater respect for how Astron-6 had literally nothing to work with and a crew member that was sabotaging the production and THEY STILL made the damn movie.

Can you refresh my memory on the crew member sabotaging it?

I did watch the doc right after I watched the movie on the 6th and don't recall that. I've watched so much since then it's all a bit of a blur though.

I'm flipping through it again now and can't find anything like that and didn't catch anything about it in the commentary.

I don't have the Shout disc though, I have the Canadian Blu-ray from Raven Banner so I'm wondering if the doc is different or they cut that part out.

NIGHT-

Pre October

1. Unfriended
2. The Gift
3. Poltergeist Remake
4. The Visit
5. The Strangers

October

1. Joyride
2. The Faculty
3. The Fog(carpenter )
4. From Dusk Till Dawn
5.Misery
6. Prom Night original
7.Christine
8. Body bags
9. Gremlins
10. Insidious
11. House of wax 3D
12. Burnt Offerings

Double feature last night!

13. It follows- I absolutely loved this one! It felt like a Carpenter film and the music was perfect. I just can't recommend it enough to horror fans. Solid 8/10

14. The Babadook- this one just didn't do it for me. The cheesy sound effects, the annoying characters, and a lot of build up for such a bad ending. 5/10

John Dunbar

correct about everything
14. Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (2006): I saw a review of this movie on Cinemassacre's Monster Madness, and since I had never seen a Troma film and this was on Youtube I thought I'd check it out. It's an entertaining movie, and some of the practical effects looked really fun despite being cheap as hell, and in fact that probably increased their charm. Some of the songs were surprisingly catchy, especially Slow Fast Food Love. Recommended to anyone who has no problem with scatological humour and gratuitous nudity, although at about 100 minutes it could have definitely benefited from a shorter running time.

10 – An American Werewolf in London

“Shit David, what IS that?”

UCw0OoU.png

An unexpected bonus movie, and the first (and probably only) family viewing of the month. It’s one of my wife’s favourite films, and she suggested we watch it with our youngest. I say youngest, but he’s sixteen in a fortnight, just so you know we’re not completely irresponsible parents. Because the missus loves it so, this is probably my most watched horror movie, and I know the script almost off by heart. I never get bored of it though, and it still makes me laugh after all these years.

It made my youngest laugh too.
It also made him hide his face behind a cushion in embarrassment during the shower scene, which was in itself pretty damn funny.

Verdict: The first movie I’ve watched so far this month that’s in my all time top ten. Unmissable.

11 – The Serpent and the Rainbow

“Shit floats.”

laAjq46.png

The first thing I’d say about this film is that it’s badly miscast. I’ve never thought Bill Pullman’s brand of floppy-fringed foppishness was anything to write home about, and Cathy Tyson’s inability to act is compounded here by her inability to hold onto anything resembling a convincing accent. Still, on the plus side, we do get to see Pullman’s hilarious zombie walk towards the end of the film, so it’s not all bad.

The second thing that struck me about the film is the based on true events claim. ‘True events’ is a very generous way of putting it, to say the least. The real Dr Alan, a chap called Wade Davis, made several unremarkable trips to Haiti, experienced no trouble with the infamous Tonton Macoutes, and he was definitely never
buried alive
nor did he have his
ballsack nailed to a chair
or wake up one morning
in bed next to the decapitated corpse of the sister of a man who had been living in a cemetery for several years because he thought he was dead.
. I understand the concept of artistic licence, but I do think this is perhaps taking things a little too far for a story you’ve set up as being derived from reality. The film admits as much too, because the big BASED ON TRUE EVENTS notice at the film’s start is balanced by the small print disclaimer at the end that acknowledges how little reality and the film version have in common.

I did like the atmosphere the film creates at times, there’s some fantastic hallucinogenic sequences, and it looks gorgeous. There’s also an excellent realism to the crowd scenes, aided and abetted by the use of real documentary footage. Every time the film threatens to get interesting, however, it’s sabotaged by the amateur-dramatic hamminess of Pullman’s performance, and daft over-earnest nature of the script.

Verdict: I love Wes Craven’s work generally, but this film was a big disappointment to me. I do think that’s mainly down to the casting though. Wade Davis apparently wanted Mel Gibson to play him when he sold the rights to his book. Whatever you think of Gibson as a person he’d have definitely improved this movie.

lordxar

Maniac with Elijah Wood is pretty fucked up. I will give it three scalps. Think he ruins the ending to the Cabinet of Dr Caligari lol. Out of everything I've watched so far this one is the most disturbing. The kill scenes get kind of drawn out. Its all first personish which adds a lot I feel. I'm a bit torn on the score. Its decently made but so messed up. Nothing I'd care to see again but worth a watch.

Endy MacK

5. Dracula Untold

This was a fun , mindless action movie. Not a lot of character development, but fitting for the tone of the movie. I was a bit confused about the scene where they were
burning down the building with him inside; it's daylight, and then suddenly Vlad is stepping outside completely unaffected. I get that there was some cloud cover, but daylight is still daylight, no?

6. Evil Dead 2

This movie is so much fun, and I completely forgot how incredibly over the top it gets with its goofiness; I love it, though. Bruce Campbell is so unique, and he absolutely makes this movie the classic that it is. I will have to try and re-watch this one as an annual tradition.

p.s.
"Someone's in my fruit cellar!"

Watched "Unfriended". Nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. It was interesting, but mediocre. Can't believe the main character was 26 when filming.

Also rewatched "It Follows", film flows a bit smoother on the second viewing but is still fifteen minutes too long. Fantastic film though.

mkenyon

Banned
Watched "As Above, So Below" last night. Streaming on Cinemax GO if anyone has that.

Was one of the better Descent-type movies. Worth a watch.

Penguin

Maniac
I Spit on Your Grave
House of Wax
Stag Night
Halloween 2007
Funny Games
Fright Night
The Hills Have Eyes
The Strangers
Mercy

After a hectic mad week, back to the fun stuff!

Movie 11 - The Thing (I'm counting it as a remake!)

I mean not sure what can say about this movie. Completely fantastic, tense, suspenseful. All those buzzwords you read on the back of a box.

If you've never seen... watch.
If you have seen...rewatch (what I did)

Rydeen

Can you refresh my memory on the crew member sabotaging it?

I did watch the doc right after I watched the movie on the 6th and don't recall that. I've watched so much since then it's all a bit of a blur though.

I'm flipping through it again now and can't find anything like that and didn't catch anything about it in the commentary.

I don't have the Shout disc though, I have the Canadian Blu-ray from Raven Banner so I'm wondering if the doc is different or they cut that part out.

Yeah it's in the Shout Factory blu-ray. The first cinematographer they hired and wasted money on hiring had no idea what giallo films were, and didn't understand the lighting concepts that Adam Brooks and crew were pulling from them. Then they learned that all of the photos in his portfolio were pictures he swiped from Tumblr. THEN they ran out of money before block one of shooting was even done.

#11 - Cujo [1983]
wBzshoP.jpg

So Cujo is about a rabid dog terrorizing a mother and her son in a car for like an hour and also happens to kill three other people at one point. Only decent thing about the movie is what little attack scenes they throw at you are semi decent. Also happens to have one of the most annoying whiny kids I've seen in a movie yet. Wouldn't recommend over any other Stephen King movies. 4/10

#12 - House of 1000 Corpses [2003]
1RCKx7L.jpg

I really enjoyed this movie even though it takes a bit more inspiration from stuff like Texas Chainsaw Massacre then I would like. A group of friends manages to find themselves at the Firefly families home of death and gets to partake in their Halloween activities. A sadistic family that loves killing and torture who also happen to have an underground labyrinth of freaks. Movie has some decent gore, kills, and great music along the way. 7.5

#13 - The Devil's Rejects [2005]
1MLwyRN.jpg

Enjoyed this one a bit more then House of 1000 Corpses just for being a bit more unique. Here you get to see the family on the run and a cop that will stop at nothing to get revenge for the slaying of his brother in the previous film. We get too see the limits of what a human can be pushed to when dealing with some sick fucks. Movie did a great job at showing the descent into madness of Sheriff Wydell. Such a weird movie though when you somewhat become attached to the villians and not the hero. 8/10

Aiii

So not worth it
Movie #01: Chakushin ari a.k.a. One Missed Call (2003) - 3/5 Stars
Movie #02: Cropsey (2009) - 3.5/5 Stars
Movie #03: Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) - 4.5/5 Stars
Movie #04: Starry Eyes (2014) - 3.5/5 Stars
Movie #05: Ôdishon a.k.a. Audition (1999) - 4/5 Stars
Movie #06: Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (2010) - 2.5/5 Stars
Movie #07: Haunter (2013) - 4/5 Stars
Movie #08: The Den (2013) - 3/5 Stars
Movie #09: Sinister (2012) - 4.5/5 Stars
Movie #10: The Conjuring (2013) - 5/5 Stars
Movie #11: House at the End of the Street (2012) - 1.5/5 Stars

the-loved-ones-postervfspm.jpg

Movie #12: The Loved Ones (2009)
It's prom time, resident tough kid on the block already has a girlfriend and as such: a date to the prom. Unfortunately for him, Lola, a shy girl that's into him, doesn't take kindly to his rejection of her asking him to the prom. Needless to say, shit goes down.

I don't want to give too much away from this Australian horror flick, but it's a ton of fun and has some pretty great torture and gory scenes. Give it a watch, if you're looking (I watched this on Netflix Germany, for u VPN users) for something.

4 handjobs on the dancefloor out 5.

MattyH

picked up the bluray recently so can finally put my bootleg producers cut dvd to rest #11 Halloween 6 (Producers Cut)

Yeah it's in the Shout Factory blu-ray. The first cinematographer they hired and wasted money on hiring had no idea what giallo films were, and didn't understand the lighting concepts that Adam Brooks and crew were pulling from them. Then they learned that all of the photos in his portfolio were pictures he swiped from Tumblr. THEN they ran out of money before block one of shooting was even done.

Oh, okay that was in the doc I watched. Thanks. I didn't make the connection that it was being sabotaged, just that they hired some people who lied about their abilities and were (hopefully) replaced.

Either way, I do have crazy respect for these guys and their crew who put themselves though hell to make these movies with no money and make no profit from them. The fact that they tried to do something as ambitious as The Editor, especially after the mess with Troma and Father's Day amazes me.

I'm sitting down to do my review now, it's gonna be a tough one to write all things considered.

Persona7

Banned
I am going to watch Evil Dead 2 and the taking of deborah logantoday. I was thinking about VHS 2 today and damn that movie is fucking silly.

I don't understand how or why the private investigator ended up dead and then turned into a zombie. That plus the guy who was hiding in the closet, was he a zombie too? Apparently he can control supernatural forces. The plot is horrible and this series was a huge waste of time.

tav7623

Bonus Movie: House on Haunted Hill (1999, watched 10/10/15) - Last night while I was watching Deep Rising I got the idea to do a themed mini (3) movie marathon featuring horror movies that co-starred Famke Jensen (Goldeneye, X-Men) and while most people tend to crap on this movie, I actually like it enough that I'll pop it in every couple of years.

11. Clive Barker's Lords of Illusion (watched 10/11/15) - This was the last movie in my Famke Jensen mini horror movie marathon (I started watching it after midnight so I'm counting it for today) and like the other movies I watched as part of my Famke Jensen mini horror movie marathon I actually like this movie despite it generally being negatively viewed/received. I feel that Scott Bakula is perfectly cast in this movie as the tormented but snarky private eye Harry D'Amour who first appeared in Barker's short story "The Last Illusion".

Film 9: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Film 10: Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)

AwoYMFj.jpg

With the baseball playoffs just starting, I feel like I just hit two back to back home runs with these two films. Caligari amazes me to this day for its ability to compel you with all the elements of film making that rival today's reliance on CGI. This movie had me hooked from the first appearance of Cesare to the
crime committed for which you only see a silhouette in the shadows
. I highly recommend it!

Freddy's Dead, for me, was a fun ride. I had an enjoyable time watching it even though Freddy seemed like he was transforming into a comedic cartoon character. I don't know about how others feel, but I'm not noticing that much of a drop in quality when it comes to the Nightmare sequels. I've pretty much found all the films entertaining in their own right. I still feel the original is the best.

Penguin

1. Maniac
  2. I Spit on Your Grave
  3. House of Wax
  4. Stag Night
  5. Halloween 2007
  6. Funny Games
  7. Fright Night
  8. The Hills Have Eyes
  9. The Strangers
  10. Mercy
  11. John Carpenter's The Thing

Movie 12 - Mother's Day (Remake)

Movie 13 - Truth or Die

Both similar movies on the broad level. Both involve holding people pressure and playing with them to get to the truth of something.

Both seem to be more focused on the psychology of the captors and capturers.

As for the difference, Mother's Day was remarkable in kind of seeing the control and influence a parent has over their child for better or worse.

In the same way, Truth or Die deals with the levels we go to bury our family's secret shame.

Both recommended.

Fox Mulder

Been too lazy to post reviews, but have been going through the two scream factory Vincent Price collections on bluray. Great Poe stuff and then the two Dr Phibes movies are good too. I love the fire side introductions he did that they dug up from some PBS series in the 80's.

The first collection is OOP and expensive now, and I assume the second will follow shortly. I stocked up with on Price films for this month.

lordxar

Hmm....lets see if I actually finish Exeter. This piece of shit is awful. Couple cool kills but otherwise what a waste of time. Oh and I hate the entire cast, except the dude from Person of Interest, he's cool. I rate this one shitty movie. The asylum itself might have a decent story but its buried in this turd.

1) The Nerdist Prestents: The Hive
2) I Spit on Your Grave 2
3) Her Name Is Torment
4) The Nightmare
5) Late Phases
6) Mockingbird
7) The Final Girls

8) The Last Shift

Really really well done ghost flick. Probably my surprise film of the year. It is low budget and it shows in a few scenes but it overall manages to keep together a really good and creepy vibe. Highly recommend it if you are a fan or creeped out by possession films.

Evil Dead, 2013
220px-EvilDead2013Poster.jpg

So I finally got around to seeing this. And.. it's pretty good, actually. Certainly much better than the majority of horror remakes (or reboots, whatever) though not quite on the level of Dawn of the Dead '04. It's definitely made in the spirit of the original - gore, shock, blood and visceral terror, the whole shebang. The main actress who played Mia did a great damn job. Two main complaints - the would-be hero (can't even remember his name), Mia's brother, is boring as fuck. Seriously a charisma vacuum, no chemistry with the rest of cast. He should
have been the first to die, cause everybody would expect the CW extra looking motherfucker to be the hero
and then have that nerd guy who looks like Derek from ClassicGameRoom
do a switcheroo on the audience and have him do all the heroic shit, before he inevitably sacrifices himself and dies as well. It would make sense given that he would probably feel bad about unleashing the demons and would do his damndest to try and fix everything. No need for a romance subplot either, he's just a really good friend. Leave Chad or whatever the fuck his name was as the deadbeat brother, a little harsh reality to go with the horror.
Secondly, while I like the premise, I think they could have gone farther with it. I know genre fans in general tend to be pretty down on changes but slavishly sticking to the original's formula ultimately makes any remake redundant and therefore pointless (which this veers too closely to sometimes). Not to compare to the Dawn remake again, but that movie's a great example of a remake which has nods to the original but is clearly it's own thing. The filmmakers really could've done more to make this movie their own, have it stand on its own merits. As it is though, it's still an enjoyable ride, even if maybe not all that necessary when you step back and look at it.

The gist: A group of friends retreat to a cabin in the woods to help their addict friend get clean. Evil Dead ensues.
Coolest part: Ending spoilers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USMGPaVTpF0
Verdict: 3 and a half thousand gallons of blood out of five.

The Beyond, 1981
f4bYPdW.jpg

So, I decided this was the make-or-break for Italian horror after having watched over at least a dozen at this point and only really liking one. And.. it's broken. I've watched tons of b-movies throughout the years, one of the worst things a movie can be is boring, and this movie is criminally boring. Subjective of course, but generally if I don't know or don't care what's going on, I'm bored. I was actually interested in this to start due to its alleged more surreal nature, but my interest steadily waned as the movie went on. So yeah, no more of these (with the exception of Demons 2, the first being the one Italian movie I liked).

The gist: A woman inherits a hotel that's unfortunately built over one of the gates of hell.
Coolest part: The flooded basement scenes were cool. Some cool imagery here and there, like the blind woman on the highway and the crucifixion in the bathroom.
Verdict: 2 ungodly warlocks out of five.

Seance, 2000
g0bP4PL.jpg

This ain't really a horror movie, more of a moody suspense thriller. I rented because I was a fan of another movie from the same director, Cure (recommended). This is similarly atmospheric but a much smaller story. It was certainly interesting
to see the formerly normal and quite demure wife become manipulating and avaricious after she sees the chance for fame (or maybe just a chance to prove to the world her abilities?
. After a certain point it def becomes predictable, but it's more of a journey-not-destination kinda thing.

The gist: A medium and her husband accidentally become embroiled in a child kidnapping case.
Coolest part: Well, this didn't really have many "cool" parts due to the nature of the movie. I suppose the scene (mild spoilers)
after the house has been blessed, the husband walks the priest down the road, and they turn back to see smoke rising from the house (from an earlier.. mishap). Just a cool shot with a bit of foreshadowing.
Verdict: 3 apparitions out of 5.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Really enjoyed The Final Girls. A slick production with a great cast. This is the type of film more fun the larger the group of people you see it with.

It was surprisingly tame, though. The gore and sex were suggested, felt very PG-13. And some of the improv stuff made the 80's characters a bit too modern. It was more Back to the Future than Friday the 13th, but I still dug it.

Also, while I liked the emotional beats between the lead and the 80's version of her mother... the dialogue was entirely too transparent and manipulative.

Great soundtrack.

Scully

Neo Member
#9. Cry Wolf (2005)

A very underwhelming slasher movie featuring affluent & bored teenagers. I can't even bother to post a picture.

4/10

lLgSsde.jpg

#10. The Gate (1987)

An endearing and funny little horror film. The main cast did a great job and I really dug the demon designs in the movie.

7/10

Pxk3uaR.jpg

#11. Autopsy (Macchie solari, 1975)

A very entertaining giallo from Armando Crispino. The whodunnit storyline kept me intrigued and the beautiful & creepy Ennio Morricone score really enhanced the atmosphere of the film. The morgue/autopsy scenes at the beginning of the movie were gory and unsettling.

7/10

#14 - The Lords of Salem [2013]
aBRGVmd.jpg

Interesting movie that had some good ideas and imagery but the movie was just a mess all around. Didn't help that the ending just felt weak and felt like a small part into what will become a bigger movie series or something 5/10

#15 - Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth [1992]
Ya2SK2R.jpg

So this is where the series begins to become absolute shit. Pinhead went from calculating mysterious hellspawn to mass murder with nothing else to do. To add to it the other Cenobites are beyond terrible. Easily a do not watch unless you have an interest in watching the series like I terribly do. 3/10

21. Creepshow 2 (1987)
Not that enjoyable compared to the first. The Raft was the best. Overall a skip, but not a bad film. Just meh. 2/5

Also not going to watch Creepshow 3, but it is a 0/5. It sucks so bad.

Top Bottom