• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman [Mafia] |OT| The mafia game Gafia deserves , but not the one it needs

El Topo

I do find it a bit odd that he didn't think to check how it was limited. The ability to block scum chat for essentially as long as you live would seem way too powerful to me personally, it's odd he didn't think to check that.

I'm feeling really stupid right now.

roytheone

Vote count:

coppanuva (2)
sorian 907 (1024)
fireblend 1440
sorian 1459

camjo-z (0)
launchpadmcq 909 (1247)

fluxwavez (0)
fireblend 914 (1440)
xamtheking 1101 (1493)
weemadarthur 1160 (1229)
trigger 1171 (1254)

pop-o-matic (1)
fluxwavez 917

karu (0)
sorian 1024 (1232)

karkador (1)
sorian 1232 (1329)
camjo-z 1259 (1392)
tl21xx 1261

sorian (1)
karkador 1246
launchpadmcq 1247 (1453)

mazre (3)
weemadarthur 1307
trigger 1327
xamtheking 1493

tl21xx (0)
sorian 1329 (1329)
sorian 1451 (1459)

ty4on (0)
sorian 1329 (1451)

launchpadmcq (1)
camjo-z 1392

xamtheking (1)
launchpadmcq 1453

9 votes are needed for majority!
bla_1459544400.png

Sorian

Banned
I'm feeling really stupid right now.

Can you walk me through this a bit? Your role says nothing about an x-shot presumably? How did Roy let you know that it would only be a one time deal? Did he make a mistake, was there flavor, did he just say "oh hey, it's only one shot, sorry, bye"

I'm a fucking idiot. I didn't read my Role PM properly. Sorry for all the criticism roy.
ON THIS GLORIOUS DAY, EL TOPO HAS FINALLY REALIZED HIS PLACE IN THE GAFIA COMMUNITY
REJOICE, EVERYONE, FOR THE HEAVENS HAVE GIVEN US WHAT WE HAVE BEEN WANTING FOR ALL OF ETERNITY
Nah fam, you're cool, I'm just having some fun

El Topo

Let that be a lesson folks: Read your Role PM properly. I mean, I would've used it anyway after I had to reveal, but still....fuck am I dumb.

To be fair, his first mention of you being Town is in regards to the read list-dispute, a pretty black and white issue. He agrees with you and thus puts you in Town.

All he wrote about me in #622 is "Topo is being cautious about Day 1, and I appreciate it". It's a bit of a weird read. Again, it's not even necessarily bad, personally I think I come off as town as it gets, but I've been repeatedly told otherwise, so when someone completely goes against the stream it stands out to me.

Sorian

Banned
I think now is a good time to reveal everything. As Oracle, I have the power to block all mafia communication for one day (or one night). I did not want to reveal that yesterday, so that they (hopefully) would not be able to prepare. In other words, I think it would be great if we could have a lot of activity on this day.

I have also been informed by a certain person, let's call him yor, that it was actually a one-shot power.

So, Roy told you out of the blue that you only have one shot to your power even though it was already written in your role PM then? That seems.....oddly timed and convenient?

Let that be a lesson folks: Read your Role PM properly. I mean, I would've used it anyway after I had to reveal, but still....fuck am I dumb.

All he wrote about me in #622 is "Topo is being cautious about Day 1, and I appreciate it". It's a bit of a weird read. Again, it's not even necessarily bad, personally I think I come off as town as it gets, but I've been repeatedly told otherwise, so when someone completely goes against the stream it stands out to me.

I was a harsh critic of your attitude toward read lists. When you eventually explained what you meant in detail, I was able to translate your opinion into my personal language. It might be stated "Topo hated Bad read lists". I'd like to hear your more thorough quality reads of more people now that you're here.

Karkador

Banned
Last night, in response to Xam's Batcomputer theory, I made a post about what effect the Batcomputer had in the game. It's a post I think you should all read, as it's the important part of my schtick where I clean up the mess I made and catch the impurities.

But I think the thoughts needed some polish, and maybe I finally got it to shine.

First, a word from our sponsor:

Toy Commercial said:
Hey Kids! The World's Greatest Detective can't beat crime without the out-of-this-world Batcomputer, and now, you can help Batman crack the case with your very own Electronic Talking Batcomputer. Press the button, and it says a different list of the criminals who are loose in Gotham.

Toy Commercial Batman said:
Who am I going to put in prison again today, Batcomputer?

Unlimited adventures await with Batman and the Electronic Talking Batcomputer. Batteries sold separetely. Talk to a parent before going outside and fighting crime.

Yes, the Batcomputer is a toy....or more like a mind game. I took the player list, and randomized it. First four names became "scum", last name became "neutral". Some of you caught on already, but I figured I'd get one last flavor post out of it anyway.

But does that mean it didn't have an effect? Did people see right through it?

I disagree. There was a reaction, and in that, I think the trap caught something.

Why do I think this? It's because there's evidence that scum reacted to the list.

Here's the Batcomputer list:
Mazre [m]
Karu [m]
SkyOdin [m]
Sorian [m]

Karkador [m]
Camjo-Z [m]
Flame_AC [m]
TL21xx [m]
weemadarthur [-]
Trigger [m]
Fireblend [m]
Coppanuva [m]
Pop-o-matic [m]
Xamtheking [m]
The Goddamn [m]
Ty4on [m]
FluxWaveZ [m]
El topo [m]

This list is random, but because I marked 5 out of the 18 names, there's statistically about a 1/3 to 1/4 chance that I actually marked a scum or neutral player here. Mind you, I only need to mark one scum to get a reaction from the lot of them. So even one marked name could get all the non-marked scum nervous. Even just the order of the names might make them nervous - the list may have actually grouped some scum together in order on the list.

Of course, they're not going to announce how nervous they are about the list.

So the first thing they might do is dismiss the list outright, as a fake, etc.

You got us! Is this in a particular order? - Sorian

I found the batcomputer input terminal. - Sorian (linked to random.org)

What's bold mean?
What's italic mean?
- weemadarthur

Do you have reasoning for those five pls? - weemadarthur

Let's end this farce. - Mazre

Scum has clearly been cornered here. - Trigger

Kark, can we please get serious here.
Stop hiding behind your Batcomputer and shit.
- Xamtheking

But then

Batcomputer is starting to grow on me oddly enough. - Mazre

I'm willing to lynch him to test the bat computer theory. - Trigger

D1, there's a push to lynch El Topo. El Topo is marked as "neutral" on the list. Lynching El Topo would test the Batcomputer theory.

El Topo's votes
El Topo (4)
weemadarthur .304
SkyOdin .523
Pop-O-Matic .647 .868
Flame_AC .661 .851
Trigger .687
Karkador .779 .852
Xamtheking .829 .855
Camjo-Z .854 .870
Karkador .864

The posts where these votes were made:

At this point, my vote on TL isn't useful. He denies bread crumb, and even if he's lying, it seems a townish crumb.

vote: el topo

I seriously don't believe I've ever seen this argument from town. I've seen it repeatedly from scum, and if my memory serves, the same poster will take an opposite stance in different games, depending on their alignment.

It's also a purely bad argument. The only thing town has in a vanilla game is reads. Going around relying on power roles just gives scum an X amount of free days to act. We might as well night start with this attitude.

This hear is the sum total of El topo's contributions to the game so far. Some fluff at the start, getting defensive from some early prodding by other players, what appears to be some inexplicable attempt to scare people off from making read lists, and a few vague assurances that he is paying attention to the thread and will post soon. None of it is particularly meaty.

Now, El topo went onto my potential scum list early in this Day phase because of his posts about read lists up there. I've noticed that a few other people here have gotten the same vibe about them too. I can't definitively say that El topo is scum based just on this, but we are creeping closer and closer to the end of Day 1. We now have less than 24 hours to make our votes, so I though that I should start making a more decisive vote for the day. So here it is:

VOTE: El topo

There are other people on my radar too, of course. Mazre's vote claim is highly suspicious, and has made me wary of him. Camjo-Z and Trigger have also been acting a little strangly in my opinion. And of course there are way too many people who have barely been active at all. However, El topo is the person who seems most actively scummy to me so far.

Schoolwork + holidays = bad times

-I totally see where FluxWaveZ is coming from on his vote for me, and, if he feels I should be lynched, then he has every right to argue so. All I can really say in rebuttal is that I'm town, but that's not worth much.

-Kark's thankfully posting some more substantial stuff now (though still peppered with the Batcomputer garbage), so that's good.

-Sorian playing D for both me & Kark certainly make me a little worried, since I usually associate defending another player with either scum trying to protect one of their own or scum trying to go to bat for doomed town so people won't think they're scum when said doomed townie flips. Probably just paranoia on my part, but still something to consider.

-And finally, I have to say that El Topo has not managed to improve my opinion of him, continuing to defend himself without offering much to the discussion in terms of the scum hunt, and offering a very simplistic opinion of one player. I'm sorry, but his play is just unproductive and I don't have enough faith to expect him to improve in the following days.

Vote: El Topo

While I personally would opt for a Camjo lynch, I don't think that's happening.

Vote: El Topo

Topo is a reasonable lynch, we might get some interesting information pending his flip.

Not 100% committed yet though.

VOTE:el topo

I wasn't getting particularly strong town vibes. I'm willing to lynch him to test the bat computer theory.

Trigger demonstrates much less reasoning in choosing Topo - he just wants to "test the Batcomputer". But rather than nominating someone on the scum list, as if that is the preferred thing to test on a list with mafia and a neutral.

However, things go sideways when I tie the vote, and when Camjo overrides the thing.

At night, scum kills SkyOdin, a member of the Batcomputer's "scum list". I don't think this was a coincidence. They wanted to test the list, and they wanted to kill someone who would make the list look false (and me look scummy).

It's possible that that list is somewhat accurate. Maybe scum is in the bolded. Maybe El Topo is the scum player. Maybe the list happens to have their names together, and they got paranoid about that. But I do think the list got tested because scum got worried about something.

Trigger, I choose you.

VOTE: Trigger

Ok Karkador.

That is possible or whatever.

Now here's an easier possibility.
Everyone ignored you after I questioned the batcomputer stuff and it became apparent it was some complicated gambit. Scum killed the towniest person.

I mean, overall, when I've read games....gambits don't work. I saw one work ONCE.

Sorian

Banned
Ok Karkador.

Everyone ignored you after I questioned the batcomputer stuff and it became apparent it was some complicated gambit. Scum killed the towniest person.

I mean, overall, when I've read games....gambits don't work. I saw one work ONCE.

You said this earlier and I presented the actual towniest person: Fireblend. I think scum did kill from the bolded purposely.

Karkador

Banned
Ok Karkador.

You should pay more attention

Sorian

Banned
Why? Why would they kill someone bolded? They already know who is mafia and who is town (or at least neutral).

I said this a few times already (and I'm too lazy to go quote myself).

Scum sees themselves on Kark's list.
Scum assumes the list is bullshit because the bolded isn't all of their teammates (and a role that knew all scum from the start would be ridiculous).
Scum doesn't want to deal with the possibility of people actually giving credence to Kark's list.
Scum kills someone who they know isn't scum from the bolded.
The next day, the person flips town (or maybe neutral if they are unlucky)
People chime in after the initial shock with "oh, the list was bullshit, Kark was lying to us" (which weemad and Camjo did shortly after day start)
Scum rejoices.

It's a simple plan but I see no reason otherwise to kill Sky, no hints he might be a PR. He was towny but not the most towny as weemad said. He was a medium-high activity poster. If not the bat computer than there really isn't anything on him so it's either the above or scum just wanted to hit someone middle of the road, which is possible but I feel like there were better middle of the road targets too.

Ty4on

This list is random, but because I marked 5 out of the 18 names, there's statistically about a 1/3 to 1/4 chance that I actually marked a scum or neutral player here. Mind you, I only need to mark one scum to get a reaction from the lot of them. So even one marked name could get all the non-marked scum nervous. Even just the order of the names might make them nervous - the list may have actually grouped some scum together in order on the list.

Unless I've completely forgotten how probability is calculated there's a ~1/3 chance you only hit non scum in the bolded list and therefore a ~2/3 chance you hit at least one scum.

Assuming 4 scum -> 14 choose 4 over 18 choose 4 -> 1001/3060 -> ~32.7% to hit no scum -> Therefore the inverse percentage (67.3%) to hit at least one scum.

Sorian

Banned
Unless I've completely forgotten how probability is calculated there's a ~1/3 chance you only hit non scum in the bolded list and therefore a ~2/3 chance you hit at least one scum.

Assuming 4 scum -> 14 choose 4 over 18 choose 4 -> 1001/3060 -> ~32.7% to hit no scum -> Therefore the inverse percentage (67.3%) to hit at least one scum.

I'll just assume this math checks out.

El Topo

Because dumb scum might thought the list actually meant something

That makes little sense. I see the following (at least somewhat reasonable) scenarios:

1. SkyOdin got killed by a town member with a night kill ability.
-----------------------------
That seems somewhat possible, but unless the ability is x-shot, would said player not reveal himself? Or would the town player stay low, if only to keep mafia unaware that he is now ordinary? Also traditionally such a role would be the Hunter, who only kills upon his death, no?

2. SkyOdin got killed due to a switcher
Possible. The player would obviously not reveal himself and it would make sense for a town player with such an ability to (maybe) test the list this way.

3. SkyOdin got killed by a neutral with a night kill ability
Possible, but I would assume a neutral would not try this unless he was on the list or unless he had a specific condition that requires him killing mafia. Or is there in mafia some (neutral) randomized killer role? Either way, in that case someone else was probably saved, unless mafia pulled a Love Boat.

4. SkyOdin got killed by mafia
Since mafia know the (rough) alignment, this would only make sense if several mafia members were on the list. It is of course also possible that SkyOdin died due to other mafia hijinx. Maybe they have a switcher.

Karu

El Topo said:
I mean either way... the batcomputer did two things... Kark has a greatnotgreat reason to vote for Trigger and people argue about scum's decision to kill Sky, but to what end?

TL21xx

Banned
Hey guys, something came up, I will not be able to write up the lengthy post until later this evening. Apologies for making it look like I'm stringing you all along. Will try to make it worth it.

Trigger

Trigger demonstrates much less reasoning in choosing Topo - he just wants to "test the Batcomputer". But rather than nominating someone on the scum list, as if that is the preferred thing to test on a list with mafia and a neutral.

At night, scum kills SkyOdin, a member of the Batcomputer's "scum list". I don't think this was a coincidence. They wanted to test the list, and they wanted to kill someone who would make the list look false (and me look scummy).

It's possible that that list is somewhat accurate. Maybe scum is in the bolded. Maybe El Topo is the scum player. Maybe the list happens to have their names together, and they got paranoid about that. But I do think the list got tested because scum got worried about something.

Trigger, I choose you.

VOTE: Trigger

It's fine to consider my vote for Topo as not being particularly well-reasoned, but let's be honest here: Your list is false and scummy. SkyOdin wasn't scum, and Topo isn't neutral (unless he's lying of course). I doubt scum would have been worried about it since very few people were taking it seriously from the beginning. If I were scum and a team mate was on that list I wouldn't have given it any credibility. They didn't have to target someone off there because you would have been exposed at some point. I took a small leap of faith, but I highly doubt scum players would fall for that as easily as you seem to think.

Camjo-Z

Your theory doesn't quite work because the person most advocating the idea that the batcomputer should be tested was a townie, plus El Topo had already been under suspicion for a while for his read list comments. I mean, if the El Topo lynch had gone through and SkyOdin was still alive, you'd probably be leading the charge on him right now.

Mazre

El Topo - WIFOM , if he's lying it's brilliant and the bit about misreading his role PM is genius. Leaning town

Camjo-z - suspect to me, play is either malicious or misguided

Kark x Sorian - tedious, glad that bit is over with

top town - fireblend and weemad

Camjo-Z

I'm with you Launch

VOTE: Camjo-z

Nice drive-by. How about you explain why you agree, considering his "plan" literally boils down to people doing exactly as he says for no reason.

Like, really think about this. If you're following him, you genuinely believe he has a power that:

1. Is so secretive, he can't even tell anyone his role name
2. Won't necessarily take effect tomorrow or even the next day
3. Has an incredibly specific day-phase method of activation, but is one-shot and prompted by a night command
4. If revealed at all, can be instantly nullified by mafia
5. Is still able to work even if he dies

Why would such a role even be in the game? To reward town for being brainless morons who believe anything they're told with nary a shred of evidence?

Sorian

Banned
Nice drive-by. How about you explain why you agree, considering his "plan" literally boils down to people doing exactly as he says for no reason.

Like, really think about this. If you're following him, you genuinely believe he has a power that:

3. Has an incredibly specific day-phase method of activation, but is one-shot and prompted by a night command

Why would such a role even be in the game? To reward town for being brainless morons who believe anything they're told with nary a shred of evidence?

The role would exist if you were able to accurately gauge the climate of the following day phase and figure out who an extremely guilty party would be but possibly not the one that ends up getting lynched (I've theory crafted a bit on what the power is, I'm not assisting Launch in this endeavor because I don't agree with the target at all and the drip feed on info is as inherently scummy as the rest of the way this has been handled). Launch obviously did not accurately gauge that climate well at all if he is telling the truth and I find it odd that he even decided to do this when he subbed into a game with less than 24 hours left in the night phase and the power was only one-shot (he said this right? I'm not getting confused with Topo?)

Mazre

I want to believe

Actually, the rest needs answering too, it seems.

2. Too soon to tell.
3. Yes, that's true.
4. Not nullified. I corrected you last time, I'll correct you again. It will affect the behavior of scum, therefore the outcome of the action.
5. Yes, that's true.

Karkador

Banned
Your theory doesn't quite work because the person most advocating the idea that the batcomputer should be tested was a townie, plus El Topo had already been under suspicion for a while for his read list comments. I mean, if the El Topo lynch had gone through and SkyOdin was still alive, you'd probably be leading the charge on him right now.

Show me

Sorian

Banned

Show you what? That the person most advocating testing that batcomputer was town? Ok:

Anyways, between these two points, I think I should probably come clean. I haven't been entirely honest why I am voting for El topo. Everything I've said about him so far is true, son't get me wrong. I thing he has definitly been acting scummy. However, there is another reason I have been voting for him.

Basically, if you take the assumption that Karkador didn't make the batcomputer list out of thin air, then lynching El topo is the best way to test it. Let's assume that Karkador was given information on 5 random or semi-random players. This would be an incredibly broken ability, unless you presume that it was balanced by the fact that Karkador doesn't know what bold and italics mean. Karkador is just as clueless as the rest of us and is trying to fish out information to determine what that means.

So we get an A list of four people who read one way, and a B list of one person who reads a different way. I will presume all of the normal text people on that list were unread. I will admit that this is a lot of assumptions, but everything that Karkador has said and done makes sense in this context.

Now, since I am on the bold list, I can actually compare my role to the flipped role PM or a lynched or night-killed italics player, and get some information about the validity and nature of that list. The same goes for the other three bold players. Basically, all four of us would have access to A+B.

Now, the reason I've been coy about this is because I feel a little stupid going along with something that very well might be a crazy scum/neutral gambit. But still, it is plausible, and worse comes to worst we just prove that Karkador is a nut who can't be trusted. Best possible result is that we lynch a scum and have reasonable proof that four people are town. And so, the best course of action is to lynch the one person on the italics list: El topo.

He was the first to bring it up and allowed sheep like Trigger to follow. Or do you mean that El Topo was under fire for his read list comments? I'm sure I could go back and pull tons of examples of that but I'd pop that not what you are referring to. Or do you mean the part that you'd be leading a charge on Sky right now? Well that's a hypothetical that is hard to answer but you yourself said the whole point of your list was to watch those who had zero'd in on the neutral, in this case El Topo, and if Sky were still alive then it might not be so clear cut for you, you'd have a bunch of votes on Topo but no flip so I could see it.

---------

I intended to come home and look at the thread and make a big post about who I want to lynch today and then I thought about it and I like where I am right now. I didn't put Coppa on my top scum list from last night but Kark is officially off for now. He still refuses to say it outright but he took a hardline and has claimed batman, that's something that will either get counter claimed by someone living or a flip or Roy was super ballsy and gave batman to scum as a fake claim. I'll side on the former for now and deal with the latter later if need be. Coppa was hovering outside my top 3 and now would be in with Kark's removal. I made my case for Coppa earlier, it's not just inactivity, it's the promise of something more (though a bit combined with this just isn't normal Coppa to me) that is never fulfilled. I'm fine with anyone from Karu, Xam, or Coppa for reasons I've made exceedingly clear all day long. I doubt I have interest in anyone else unless someone makes a damn good case but I'm not seeing it on Trigger and neither Kark's nor weemad's pressing so far has led to much there. I have no interest in a Camjo, Kark, weemad, or Fireblend lynch today so sorry Launch, I'm not coming down to play your game, isolated, it already feels scummy enough but now it would require me to vote for someone who is pretty much confirmed town right now? Nah.

Ty4on

Is it just me or is that post Sorian quoted the soft claim from SkyOdin that we've been looking for? Both the "comparing my role" line and reading between the lines it's pretty obvious his role plays a part in his interest.

Top Bottom