• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered reviews

I disagree, the PC version contains the ability to add modded textures, 4K resolution, and Gallian Crossfire. It's also $10 cheaper.

I'd like to see a comparison picture using those textures and resolution instead.

Either way, it's good to hear that they did a great port, but it's bittersweet considering we'll never get an update to its sequels.

Yeah, I can't imagine how modded textures would be a great improvement to the game, given its visual style, but we'll see, I guess.

TehOh

Here is my review:

4 Color Rebellion: No Score
Valkyria Chronicles is a gem of a game, and remains one of my favorite strategy games of the past decade. Its memorable cast, challenging gameplay systems, and first-rate art direction hold up years after its initial release. If you’ve yet to experience the game, and are a fan of RPGs or strategy games, you should absolutely give it a shot.

Tagyhag

Yeah, I can't imagine how modded textures would be a great improvement to the game, given its visual style, but we'll see, I guess.

You're completely right, due to its art style there is only so much you can do, and the differences are very subtle, but I think any bit helps.

vyse-normalzhuld.jpg
vyse-highres1gu5n.jpg

There's modded higher res icons as well. God bless fellow Gaffers.

Lemondish

So where do I need to preorder to get that lovely steel book? The best buy preorder page shows it in pictures, but doesn't explicitly mention it. Not sure I want to spend on shipping if it's not the steel book.

Mentok

Banned
It's funny that two remasters (this and Gravity Rush) have hyped up the first half of this year for me. I can't WAIT for this!

Plus, that steelbook looks awesome.

Cornbread78

So where do I need to preorder to get that lovely steel book? The best buy preorder page shows it in pictures, but doesn't explicitly mention it. Not sure I want to spend on shipping if it's not the steel book.

Definitely at Gamestop:

122090_bonusLG.jpg

Not sure how consistent other retail stores are.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I owned the PS3 Version and then it burned in a fire.

I'll get this when it's cheap. Great game.

Well... It's around $29.99 in my area!

I don't have a review written, but I've been playing the NA release of VC Remastered and it's real good. If you didn't play it before or you don't own a PC that can run that version, this is aces.

There will never be a decent budget console/PC follow up to Valkyria Chronicles 1 will there?

Maybe if this sells a million units or something??

Even if this sold millions I doubt they would actually produce a worthwhile follow up to this game.

In a world where the two biggest SRPG IPs (XCOM and Fire Emblem) skipped consoles in their latest entries due to poor margins of their games on consoles compared to other platforms, and all the other SRPGs have to rely on good western sales to even break even due to poor Japanese sales? Never happening. If VC4 ever happens, you're looking at iOS/Android/NX Handheld + PC as the potential platforms, with a potential PS4 late-port down the line. Also going to place down a bet here and now that iOS/Android is going to get XCOM 2 before consoles.

Azure Revolution's director all but said that the only way a Valkyria game was getting greenlit on consoles was as an action-RPG. I'll need to find the exact quote, but it was something to the effect of that Azure Revolution started development as a Real-Time Strategy game until they came to the conclusion that there just simply isn't enough of a market for SRPGs on consoles in Japan. I'm going to take a wild guess and say they came to this epiphany around the time Disgaea 5 bombed in Japan.

(And honestly, with how shitty Azure's action combat seems to be, it ain't exactly hard to see they jury-rigged an action-combat system onto an engine that was designed for an RTS)

Is the steelbook retailer exclusive? This is the first I've heard of the remaster and with the release date around the corner I should preorder ASAP.

All launch editions in NA regions have it afaik. Not retailer specific.

Also it is a metal case not a Steelbook. If it was a steelbook they would mention it everywhere STEELBOOK™ etc.

jennetics

I don't preorder games often, but I couldn't wait for this so I finally caved in. Can't wait to revisit this awesome world!

Greddleok

GOTG is still amazing.

It upsets me that Sega has no idea why people like this game. They make a bunch of "sequels" that lose all the magic of the original.

Kinda like Nintendo and Metroid...

TimmiT

I seem to recall a banned site having a comparison that showed the PS4 version actually being a bit better than the PC release.

Not sure if they fixed the crash bugs in the PC version, but regardless, it sounds like this version is the way to go.

*Better when running it at the same resolution and using the in-game anti aliasing. It's not that hard to make the PC version look better than the PS4 version.

amazon does too.

that said im worried that they dont know when this is going to ship

Expected as much, this game was really fun but I never completed it. Time to rectify that!

The book is a pre-order bonus. Amazon did update it to say that, so I feel fine with my order.

yeah, i was talking more about the delivery date.

p2sq0Bl.png

i pre-ordered the moment it was up and they still havent decided when to ship it with one week away of release date.

yeah, i was talking more about the delivery date.

p2sq0Bl.png

i pre-ordered the moment it was up and they still havent decided when to ship it with one week away of release date.

Oh yeah, mine has no date as well. They can ship on Sunday so who knows?
Does anyone know if we get the game in the standard plastic case with the steel case on the side?

Or is the game just in the steel case?
Signs point to it coming in normal case and just have a steel case next to it like Best Buy Witcher 3 did.

Dragun619

Does anyone know if we get the game in the standard plastic case with the steel case on the side?

Or is the game just in the steel case?

Top Bottom