• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bar MAFIA |OT| There's Gonna Be Shots

cabot

DAY 1 BEGINS

giphy.gif

Kawl_USC

Following the unsettling scene outside, the crowd began shuffling into the now open double doors. The atmosphere had shifted from one of joviality and anticipation to unease and trepidation given the brutal execution of OceanicAir.

As you step into the main room of area of the bar you are greeted by a surprisingly normal setting. Several high top tables are scattered around an open dance floor with a DJ booth up to the left. Directly ahead running the length of the room lays the bar with, thank goodness, a completely normal bartender.

Making your way to the bar you see that they have all of your favorites on tap (Coors Light, Rolling Rock, Busch Heavy, Busch Light, even Blue Moon if you are feeling adventurous!) Hell, maybe that whole thing outside had been orchestrated to drum up publicity for this new bar. You could find a lot to like in a place like this, creepy sun dude notwithstanding.

The DJ came over the sound system and said, “Customers, before I began with my set the owner would like your attention on the stage for a special Opening Night performance…”

On the stage opposite the DJ Booth you see that accursed yellow ball on stage leaning into the microphone.

“Welcome to THE BAR. Determine amongst yourselves who shall be my regulars. All others shall perish. MUSIC. DANCING. MERRIMENT.”

Murmurs passed through the crowd…”Perish?” “He did say perish , right?” “Aw shit, we have to dance, I was just trying to get sloshed.”

But an even deeper dread seeped into your chest as you heard the first beats of the special performance this man had arranged for his very special guests….

doo do dooo do do doo do doo do do doo
doo do dooo do do doo do doo do do doo
doo do dooo do do dooooo doooo dooooo dooooooo

ᵂʰᵉʳᵉ ᶦᵗ ᵇᵉᵍᵃⁿ, ᴵ ᶜᵃⁿ'ᵗ ᵇᵉᵍᶦⁿ ᵗᵒ ᵏⁿᵒʷᶦⁿ'
ᴮᵘᵗ ᵗʰᵉⁿ ᴵ ᵏⁿᵒʷ ᶦᵗ'ˢ ᵍʳᵒʷᶦⁿᵍ...ˢᵗʳᵒⁿᵍ

ᵂᵃˢ ᶦⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ˢᵖʳᶦⁿᵍ, ᵃⁿᵈ ˢᵖʳᶦⁿᵍ ᵇᵉᶜᵃᵐᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ˢᵘᵐᵐᵉʳ
ᵂʰᵒ'ᵈ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ᵇᵉˡᶦᵉᵛᵉ ʸᵒᵘ'ᵈ ᶜᵒᵐᵉ ᵃˡᵒⁿᵍ?

Hᴀɴᴅs...ᴛᴏᴜᴄʜɪɴɢ ʜᴀɴᴅs

Rᴇᴀᴄʜɪɴɢ ᴏᴜᴛ...

Tᴏᴜᴄʜɪɴɢ ᴍᴇ...

TOUCHING YOU...

DAY 1 HAS BEGUN

Majority is 12 votes.

Day 1 Ends In:

Oh, I'm going to be really sick

Am I really doing this?

Blech, gonna throw up.

So this is going to be a pre-written post (eugh).

Soooo, somewhat differently to my previous mindsets for previous games, I've been convinced that day can be useful, so long as conversation isn't allowed to stall. No, we don't read ANY of your revealing right now (please, I can't deal with that repetitive bs again and again), we have a limited number of roles, or twists/surprises to pull on scum, and while your super-smart gambit gives us one topic to discuss, that's a mere one we'll exhaust pretty quickly (plus, trust me, it's ALREADY been exhausted)

My goal here is that, come day 2, there isn't anyone who people are giving the same reads as with their initial impressions come day 2, at least due to a lack of info (give them stuff to analyze, not "vibes"). That means everyone will (hopefully) be questioned a decent amount today. Our day 1 lynch will be an approximation, and the fact that its partially (or mostly, if you say so) guess work doesn't really matter, imo, to what it accomplishes/sets up.

I'm also hoping for a competitive vote day 1, no bandwagon bullshit, and barring special circumstances (like a REALLY obvious scum or something), I will be voting to get that result.

Now to start this, I'm not going to be voting randomly for Wherearemahdragonz:

VOTE: Wherearemahdragonz

I've never been in a game with you, and based on the pre-game, you'll be fairly active.

Some starter questions (also screw the Danny Phantom losers for making this look dumb now):

1) What teams have you played for before? Which game(s)?

2) Did you come into that game with a plan, idea? Were you planning to act a specific way for it/play to a specific playstyle?

3) How would you describe your playstyle? If you think it has recently changed, in what way?

4) What are your goals for Day 1?/What do you plan on doing day 1?

Question 4 is probably the one I'm most interested in getting an answer to, followed up by maybe first part of 3, and then 2.

Blech, I'm doing a second

Some basic advice, for newcomers and especially the rest of us.

- Already said this, but don't claim, regardless of whether you have a power role or are ordinary, unless under EXTREME EXTREME pressure. Your role reveals for "reads" or "Discussion", that's useless. Basically, you need to judge what the effect is by the late game, vs the alternative. ORDINARIES, please don't make it too obvious, or just reveal it because you're feeling discouraged. Scum often use who they can confirm as NOT being a power role to get rid of to find good targets, and you only help them in that regard. Also, power roles are VERY powerful by late game.

There are three main situations where roles typically get revealed:

1) Catch scum - 95% of the time, you want to reveal it here.If you believe you have a way to hint at it, or that that scum is getting lynched regardless, or you can shift the vote that way without revealing, then go ahead and try, but if it's not happening, I would say reveal by day end. Also involves contradictory claims.

NOTE: You want to be sure here, so if there's a possibility that you may be off here, give us some other info to use too.

2) Protect town. Don't do it unless you have a decent number of reads, and only for late-game. Good supplement to other two situations though.

3) Protecting yourself. It happens, but try and steer it away from you without this beforehand, and only if you're the target of a bandwagon you absolutely can't fight by the end of the day.

-If you notice something, just mention it. Similarly, if people are asking you a bunch of questions, or you have a bunch of topics you want to cover, but you can only answer 1 or a few to the extent you would be satisfied at the moment, just go with that. It's easier to digest information when its not in walls of text that hurt to read, and getting things from you as you go is useful.

-Relax, and realize the other people here are humans. You make legitimate mistakes, people forget major things from the game, they get overly defensive or accusatory, etc. You can construct a ton of narrative, and there are always inconsistencies from people to exploit (we're playing mafia, I don't think anyone is following some sort of strict moral compass here). Sometimes that person who didn't vote for mafia 3/3 times really IS town, and you need to be aware of that.

-In my experience, scum won't be operating like some calculating force. Typically, each person is allowed to do their own thing, and the shared chat gets used for feedback and for ongoing theories to solve the game set up before town starts to figure things out,

That feedback is also typically for someone in shaky position, for when someone is making a giant post, or for when a scum member reads a teammate's post and notices something (like we al do). It's flawed and subjective. Finally, oftentimes, said feedback doesn't amount to much/doesn't have too much of an effect.

Suddenly runs to the bathroom to throw up

Retroid

Unlike Hyper I in-fact did not come with a plan (and no, I never plan to NK, although by the middle of the day it usually looks like a good idea).

Kyanrute

Barkeep, a shot of your finest vodka. No, I am not drunk enough, I can take it.

Blech, I'm doing a second

-In my experience, scum won't be operating like some calculating force. Typically, each person is allowed to do their own thing, and the shared chat gets used for feedback and for ongoing theories to solve the game set up before town starts to figure things out,

That feedback is also typically for someone in shaky position, for when someone is making a giant post, or for when a scum member reads a teammate's post and notices something (like we al do). It's flawed and subjective. Finally, oftentimes, said feedback doesn't amount to much/doesn't have too much of an effect.

What did they think of your prewritten things?

Soooo, somewhat differently to my previous mindsets for previous games, I've been convinced that day can be useful, so long as conversation isn't allowed to stall.

I'm a little surprised to take you more than one game to get to this point, but I'm glad you got here in the end :)

2) Did you come into that game with a plan, idea? Were you planning to act a specific way for it/play to a specific playstyle?

3) How would you describe your playstyle? If you think it has recently changed, in what way?

1. Mafia and town. Season 1 Vet WOOOOOOOO!

2. Talk a little, bluff a little, deduct a little. Pretty intricate stuff.

3. Aggressive with a mix of nonexistence.

4. Not accidently reveal my master evil plans.

Ourobolus

Banned

1. Winning and losing teams. Mafia games.

2. I go where with wind takes me.

3. Ineffable

4. Gettin' shit done, son.

Timeaisis

I figure everyone knows my playstyle by now. It's to be semi-active and get lynched around D4.

This is mostly a joke post.

Catvoca

Banned

Question 4 is probably the one I'm most interested in getting an answer to, followed up by maybe first part of 3, and then 2.

In all seriousness, good opening posts and thanks for the advice and stuff. I haven't played any Mafia before but since signing up for this I've made my way through some of the older threads and think I have an OK grasp of the game, even if playing it is very different to reading it I'm sure.

I don't really know my playstyle because of this, but I imagine due to my personality I will probably be more reactive than proactive, although I will try and contribute to the discussion as much as possible.

As for goals on Day 1, I'm in favour of a lynch as it gives us more information. Really I'm hoping we can all just have a constant dialogue and feel each-other out. Town's strength is in communication and with us having no other information to go on right now the only way we'll learn anything is by talking to each-other. In this way, this questionnaire is pretty useful, I saw Danny Phantom Gafia had something similar.

MattyG

Banned
Oh shit, we started. I'm definitely in favor of a lynch day 1, as bad as that sounds. Without that, we have no info to go on and day 2 is just a repeat of day 1, except that a townie may have died in the night.

batsnacks

I mean I agree except that I don't think it sounds bad at all. Like yeah let's lynch 100%, let's lynch MattyG for thinking that sounds bad even.

Vote: MattyG

Vodka. That is all.

But seriously, I'm glad I'm teleworking tomorrow and Thursday so I will be around during the day time (EST) when threads seem to be active.

Usual disclaimers for new people: don't be afraid of being wrong, we will be. Don't be afraid of voting for someone who turns out to be town, we will. Don't be afraid of accidentally lynching town, we almost certainly will. Better to get your thoughts down, because there are plenty of people in this game and someone else may be thinking along the same lines.

Also, some useful terms:

Turbo - to rapidly vote to lynch someone; usually done when someone is confirmed scum

Bus - a maneuver by scum wherein they throw one of their own "under the bus" (lynch); usually done by scum to acquire "town cred" ("I voted for <scum member>, I must be town!")

Scumtell - pretty much anything Ouro does.

okay, so only the first two are actually true.

kingkitty

tl;dr hyper

vote: hyperactivity

i don't like this too long (two-part) pre-written post at the start of the game. seems like a too eager way to look helpful.

death to hyper

Oh, I'm going to be really sick

Am I really doing this?

Blech, gonna throw up.

So this is going to be a pre-written post (eugh).

Soooo, somewhat differently to my previous mindsets for previous games, I've been convinced that day can be useful, so long as conversation isn't allowed to stall. No, we don't read ANY of your revealing right now (please, I can't deal with that repetitive bs again and again), we have a limited number of roles, or twists/surprises to pull on scum, and while your super-smart gambit gives us one topic to discuss, that's a mere one we'll exhaust pretty quickly (plus, trust me, it's ALREADY been exhausted)

My goal here is that, come day 2, there isn't anyone who people are giving the same reads as with their initial impressions come day 2, at least due to a lack of info (give them stuff to analyze, not "vibes"). That means everyone will (hopefully) be questioned a decent amount today. Our day 1 lynch will be an approximation, and the fact that its partially (or mostly, if you say so) guess work doesn't really matter, imo, to what it accomplishes/sets up.

I'm also hoping for a competitive vote day 1, no bandwagon bullshit, and barring special circumstances (like a REALLY obvious scum or something), I will be voting to get that result.

Now to start this, I'm not going to be voting randomly for Wherearemahdragonz:

VOTE: Wherearemahdragonz

I've never been in a game with you, and based on the pre-game, you'll be fairly active.

Some starter questions (also screw the Danny Phantom losers for making this look dumb now):

Well hello to you too

1. The only other game I've been in is Gods. I was scum. It was my first game and honestly for a good chunk of it I had no idea what I was doing. So I kind of stayed under the radar. It also helped that I had a valid excuse; I was put on night shift and I can't really post at work all that much. So it was the combination of me working a lot and sleeping a lot to compensate. I'm still on nights, and I still sleep a lot, but I'll be more active this game because I feel more comfortable generally with how the game is played and what to expect. I'll be active most when I get off work in the morning.

2. Not really. I had help from my scum teammates but I was still pretty insecure about how to play. So I did the safest thing and let everyone else duke it out while I slipped by unnoticed. I mentioned a little bit of it above. I also hadn't developed a playstyle of my own so it was hard for me. I think things will be different this time around.

3. Well I feel more confident. I have a little bit more experience than I did before and so I just feel more comfortable with the game itself. This time around, I want to ask more questions and discuss points that may arise more. I can't say I have a definite playstyle yet because this is still only my second game and I haven't had a chance to develop one, but for now I'd just like to get to know people. I know Kyan and Splinter from Gods, but that's it. You're all new to me, as I am to most of you.

4. My plans for day one are, as I said, to get to know people. I plan on asking questions, just generally talking to players, getting to know their analytical patterns and how they think. It will go a long way towards nailing scum if we can identify when someone is super duper acting out of character.

batsnacks

Seems like lots of people are going with the "look helpful early" strategy. Interesting.

Wait, what?

Who do you think did worse hyper or absolut? I'm thinking absolut.

Hyper seemed excited. There's maybe effort to cover as many bases as possible(?) and there's some funny lore stuff in there too.

Absolut just had a "usual" disclaimer/glossary thing. The ouro thing sticks out a little like why wouldn't Absolut want to say Ouro is mafia all Ouro said so far is "hi."

Ourobolus

Banned

Hyper seemed excited. There's maybe effort to cover as many bases as possible(?) and there's some funny lore stuff in there too.

Absolut just had a "usual" disclaimer/glossary thing. The ouro thing sticks out a little like why wouldn't Absolut want to say Ouro is mafia all Ouro said so far is "hi."

I'm just here.

I believe you were trying to grasp this, though?

Rice_straw.jpg

Timeaisis

I'm always suspect of people who appear to go out of their way to look helpful or try to have a "token helpful" post. So I may be reading, way way too much into this on D1 but i think Absolut came across kind of "let me look helpful, too." kind of deal. Hyper, looks like had that all written up beforehand. Dunno.

*Splinter

I'm a little surprised to take you more than one game to get to this point, but I'm glad you got here in the end :)

1. Mafia and town. Season 1 Vet WOOOOOOOO!

2. Talk a little, bluff a little, deduct a little. Pretty intricate stuff.

3. Aggressive with a mix of nonexistence.

4. Not accidently reveal my master evil plans.
Hmm

I know Barry is capable of grabbing a game by the balls on day 1, and this post is a poor start. Jokes is fine, but he kind of pretends to be answering Hyper's questions while not saying anything.

Ouro's post right after looked similar, but at least there it was obvious he was taking the piss. Barry was a little more ambiguous.

If it was intended as a joke too then fine I guess, I'll wait for more posts. But if it was a "helpful, getting the ball rolling" kind of post then it's absolutely minimal effort.

Catvoca

Banned
I actually thought hyper was being helpful, and now you're making me think I'm not being paranoid enough, lol

I had the same thought process lol. AbsolutBro's did come off as more attempting to be helpful rather than actually being helpful to me though.

Top Bottom