• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bar MAFIA |OT| There's Gonna Be Shots

*Splinter

Oh, people are too cool for Day 1 read lists now?

Well here's a handy summary of my thoughts so far, let me know if any are a surprise to you and I can elaborate. Just a few readings of players in the game, organized into list form.

A "reads list", if you will.

Scum
-WhereAreMahDragonz
-Barrylocke

Town
-Batsnacks
-Catvoca

Null but will not lynch today
-Hyperactivity

Splinter
-Ourobolous

But seriously, if we have time to talk about our pre game plans we have time to share our opinions on other players, no matter how tentative those feelings may be. The sooner people start sharing opinions hey can actually be held accountable for the harder this game will be for scum.

Normally I'd include at least some light reasoning on those reads, but I'm stuck on "glib".

...Exodu5 - You can pretend to not be contributing when you've contributed a little, until then I want your thoughts on "stuff". What do you make of Hyper's posts so far? What do you make of Ouro's? Who stands out to you at the moment and why?

Retroid I don't think you've posted anything more than a check in, you have until I fail this Enter the Gungeon run to post something, else I'll be on your case next.

Catvoca

Banned
It's been almost a full 24 hours and Crab still hasn't checked in which is a little strange. Isn't he usually one of the more active posters?

*Splinter

i'm not going to worry about hyper until about 5 minutes before day end
QONVIyz.gif

Yeah I miss Crab too. I was really looking forward to accusing him of leading us astray and he's just not giving me the material at the moment.

My reads list is woefully short atm because a bunch of people haven't really said anything. But I don't know what Ouro's play is; I feel like he has contributed absolutely nothing of note and plays like Blarg 2.0. I'm not saying shit posting is bad (hell I do it all the time), but he's literally given us nothing and I don't like it.

Hyper's pre-typed out post seems more like an effort to immediately spark worthwhile discussion, knowing that D1 is boring af, which would put him town IMO, but at this point it's too early to say for sure. But he's also, like, overly eager to direct where the conversation goes with massive walls of text, which hints at scum.

Barry's giving me town vibes.

Splinter is Splinter.

Kyan is Kyan.

I'd like to hear from everyone else before I vote though; what we have in the discussion so far isn't enough to make a productive first day lynch decision.

Ourobolus

Banned
My reads list is woefully short atm because a bunch of people haven't really said anything. But I don't know what Ouro's play is; I feel like he has contributed absolutely nothing of note and plays like Blarg 2.0. I'm not saying shit posting is bad (hell I do it all the time), but he's literally given us nothing and I don't like it.

it's D1

not sure what you want from me

my top scum should be enough for you to figure it out, given how few posts the accused have made

Timeaisis

OK, fine. Nothing is going on so here have this super-early entirely unnecessary read list.

Scummy
TheExodo5 - For contributing little
Dusk Soldier - same; also tried to jump on hyperactivity really quick
Hyperactivity - For being overactive, and trying to lead the discussion early on

Slight scummy
Abosolut Bro - For his token "helpful" post in the beginning

Town
Ouro - Contributing without trying too hard
Barry - Same

?¿?
Batsnacks - Plays the same, regardless of alignment, who knows

Everyone else I have either no read or a null read on.

For now...
VOTE: Hyperactivity

You discussed a hell of a lot
with yourself
yesterday, but haven't contributed that much since. Probably a time zone thing, but seemed like you were trying to wrest control of the game yesterday and, after failing rather spectacularly, receded into the shadows.

---------------------------------

Re-reading When Death Is On The Line because we've got some old vets in this game. Remember when I was good at this game? Yeah, those were the days.

Well, this is a shit show already :p

I thought hyper (not knowing him previously on the forum) was a little keen with the prepared wall of text but looks like he's just got a lot to say??

One theory that doesn't have much on it but has nestled in my mind is that with hyper trying to get Wherearemahdragonz to answer those initial questions, that someone else from scum might be one of the people who then answered anyway, as to divert. Of course, I've also answered those questions so uh..

Catvoca

Banned
Well, I guess I'll post a reads list too. I'll try give a reason for each but at this point it'll all be very light and based on dumb stuff. I expect a lot of the inactive, under the radar posters to end up being the real scum but it’s impossible to read them right now.

Leaning Town:
Splinter - Seems to be contributing a lot of helpful stuff
Kyanrute - Seems generally helpful. Questioned Hyper's posts in a way that I thought seemed Town
Timeaisis – Again, generally posting helpful town stuff.
Ourobolus – Not quite sure how to read him but I lean towards town. He posts a lot without saying that much, which could be seen as a scummy thing, but I imagine it's just his style.

A bit Scummy:
Dust Soldier - The way he responded rather aggressively to Hyper while really stretching to make his opening gambit seems scummy came off as pretty scummy to me
Hyper - Might seem like a contradiction with Dust Soldier, but I think one of them might be scum. At first Hyper seemed like he was trying to be helpful, but as he posted more and more massive posts it started to seem more suspect to me. Like there's a difference between trying to be an active, helpful poster and doing whatever it is Hyper is doing.
Retroid – Hasn’t posted much and the stuff he did post stuck out to me. He made some comment about people role-claiming day 1 as livening up the day in a way that I thought was a little weird
Stackpole – I didn’t like the comment she made last page where she said that she disagreed with people wanting a lot of discussion and a “boring” day 1. It’s probably nothing but why wouldn’t you want people communicating day 1?

Null:
Batsnacks - Lots of jokeposts and stuff like that, and I don't really know how to read that.
Everyone else.

Posted cute picture of Bunnies I liked:
Salvapot

Timeaisis

Well, I guess I'll post a reads list too. I'll try give a reason for each but at this point it'll all be very light and based on dumb stuff. I expect a lot of the inactive, under the radar posters to end up being the real scum but it’s impossible to read them right now.

Leaning Town:
Splinter - Seems to be contributing a lot of helpful stuff
Kyanrute - Seems generally helpful. Questioned Hyper's posts in a way that I thought seemed Town
Timeaisis – Again, generally posting helpful town stuff.
Ourobolus – Not quite sure how to read him but I lean towards town. He posts a lot without saying that much, which could be seen as a scummy thing, but I imagine it's just his style.
YES! I'm on a read list as town! It's been so long!

A bit Scummy:
Dust Soldier - The way he responded rather aggressively to Hyper while really stretching to make his opening gambit seems scummy came off as pretty scummy to me
Hyper - Might seem like a contradiction with Dust Soldier, but I think one of them might be scum. At first Hyper seemed like he was trying to be helpful, but as he posted more and more massive posts it started to seem more suspect to me. Like there's a difference between trying to be an active, helpful poster and doing whatever it is Hyper is doing.
Retroid – Hasn’t posted much and the stuff he did post stuck out to me. He made some comment about people role-claiming day 1 as livening up the day in a way that I thought was a little weird
Stackpole – I didn’t like the comment she made last page where she said that she disagreed with people wanting a lot of discussion and a “boring” day 1. It’s probably nothing but why wouldn’t you want people communicating day 1?

Null:
Batsnacks - Lots of jokeposts and stuff like that, and I don't really know how to read that.
Everyone else.
How do you feel about Dragonz? I noticed you don't mention her. I didn't either in my read list. Which is weird for me because she seems pretty active but I don't have a strong read on her one way or the other.

Posted cute picture of Bunnies I liked:
Salvapot
#scumtell

Catvoca

Banned
YES! I'm on a read list as town! It's been so long!

How do you feel about Dragonz? I noticed you don't mention her. I didn't either in my read list. Which is weird for me because she seems pretty active but I don't have a strong read on her one way or the other.

#scumtell

I spent a moment thinking about Dragonz before posting and I couldn't come up with a strong read. She's been posting a decent amount but none of it has really stood out to me as pro or anti-town. At first her posts to Hyper seemed almost a little naive or timid (sorry!) especially that post about voting style that's been pointed out, and while I thought that could be like a scum tactic at first, as she's posted more it's left me pretty unconvinced one way or another. If I had to choose I'd say Town I think.

I'm still suspicious of Hyperactivity, especially after waking up and seeing just how many posts he's made. Then again Timeaisis is the one who kinda put me on that track in the first place... but I'm getting a town read from Timeaisis so I don't know.

I'm leaning toward Stackpole right now actually if only for this reason:

All right! I forgot about the day start this afternoon, but it luckily seems I'm not too far behind. Some interesting discussion so far! As per usual for day one, I'm mostly seeing a lot of general talk about game strategy and a lot of grasping at straws. I don't see any clues to who is and isn't mafia in the conversation so far. Needless to say.

She says the discussion is interesting and then immediately points out how it's really not interesting at all. Then she goes on to say she's thinking about doing a no lynch, which seems kinda scummy? I mean correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it be best for town to get a lynch in to get some kind of info?

If only to get her to post more, I'm gonna do it. My first vote.

VOTE: StackpoleH

Catvoca

Banned
Actually on a re-read of Dragonz posts they seem genuine to me. Still hard to get a read but I'd say I'm definitely leaning town.

kingkitty

Dusk - joined in on my vote against hyper. As I said earlier, it kinda felt like he was stretching when he implied that Hyper was trying to "trick" newbies into sharing crucial info to scum, like a power role. The line of question from Hyper just seemed like safe questions that simply puff up the image of Hyper's helpfulness.

Perhaps Dusk is scum who sees a potential bandwagon opening up, and tried to twist in some additional reasoning to make Hyper seem even worse.

Hyper - I'm still weary of the over eager start, even with Hyper explaining himself for why he did what he did.

Ouro - gives off a fluffer vibe, slightly standoffish

splinter - garbage human, also could you elaborate on MahDragonz and Barrylockez?

vote: Dusk Soldier

I'm feeling OK eating Dusk

Catvoca

Banned
She says the discussion is interesting and then immediately points out how it's really not interesting at all. Then she goes on to say she's thinking about doing a no lynch, which seems kinda scummy? I mean correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it be best for town to get a lynch in to get some kind of info?

I'm pro lynch but it's certainly a legitimate opinion for a townie to not want a lynch. I wouldn't say it's much of a scum tell. Not lynching means that we have less info going into the second day but we don't accidentally kill a town member. It's a stance that puts more faith in power roles to gain info. for the second day. I believe the first gafia game was won by town after a no-lynch day 1.

nin1000

Banned
Tyrael_(Diablo_II).gif

1)What teams have you played for before? Which game(s)?
Season 1 •When Death is on the Line
every time I see the thread updated my heart jumps up, as soon as I look something inside of me dies.
heart-attack.jpg
Season 2 •Making Animal Friends is Awesome
mate you will eat your shit the moment you find out that i am indeed a town member
a little hin. i am indeed town

Thats where the problem now lies. Now that a certain amount of player think that i am HHA and francorp wants to save his sorry ass he is now trying to press an eviction. The thing is that i believe that squid is just too deep into his own ass that he cant think clear enough and could never in the sven hells admit that i could be indeed town.
its ok though :D

Season 3 •Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!
HERE IT COMES
tim-cook-apple-one-more-thing-e1412867859939-1940x1090.jpg

Just wanted to let you know that i cannot block and am only an insane tourist 
sorry_cards_and_images_8616487532.jpg

I know this is kind of a retarted move to do but i feel bad for myself after having lied all this time.
Election Mafia
Sorian and ongoing problems at GAF and his new found partnership
obama.jpg

He talks like a truck driver, He doesn’t have his facts, he’ll say anything that comes to his mind.” Obama said on an interview with GAF. On the Issue with NeverForever and Firebend he continued to say
1415205761_barack-obama-taylor-swift-441.jpg

“All the guys on GAF flirted with me — consciously or unconsciously. That’s to be expected.”
gzLHKXh.jpg

Later today Barack Obama was saved by fellow teamember Ted Cruz.
He pulled a stunt nobody expected and shocked GAF with an interesting new Twist nobody was expecting in this game. He revealed that by forcing everyone to vote for Obama he would then see if the was indeed a President that could be trusted.
In the end Obama was indeed American and now Cruz aswell as Obama will now spend a great time at GAF together

Final Fantasy Mafia

Gafia 2

2) Did you come into that game with a plan, idea? Were you planning to act a specific way for it/play to a specific playstyle?

nope, not this time

3) How would you describe your playstyle? If you think it has recently changed, in what way?

strange but very very funny since i am at least the one who laughs.

4) What are your goals for Day 1?/What do you plan on doing day 1?

Force the least interesting player out of the game !

I know this post can be seen as self-adulation
it is though ;)

In terms of posts ? My thoughts on Hyper are these
NWd0UEU2Y1ZWRUkx_o_how-to-vomit---throw-up---puke---cleanse-detoxify---.jpg

in honesty and sincerity though, his questionnaire was indeed a cool idea even though i dont like how he forced a lot of players to vote on Dragon.
I dont want to pile on Stack, since i dont see her scummy in any kind of way.

Will be back in full force once i get back from the shower.

Tyrael_(Diablo_II).gif

Catvoca, just out of curiosity, if you had to pick one to be scum between Dusk and Hyper, which one would it be? And why? I think you have good insight and your reads list seemed pretty observant and well put together, so I'd like to know what you think.

As for my opening post, I was on mobile when I made it so I didn't have the chance to really go as in depth as I wanted to. Maybe it came off as naive or timid, sure, but I did what I could at the time. I know it isn't much of an excuse but it's the truth lol

batsnacks

I'll order these people a Null and Fluffy with a splash of Won't Lynch:
hyper
ouro

I'll order these people a Mafia Sour, hopefully a drink will loosen them up a little... I can't afford to buy another round for more than a few of them:
euphemism
a human becoming
dusksoldier
theexodus
nin1000
mattyg
crab
tomakasafnav

I've never played with these people (I don't think), I'll order them an Extra Dry Townie-Tini to break the ice:
absolutbro
catvoca
barrylocke
Wherearemahdragons

I recognize these people and have some idea of their meta, not much to say about them yet though:
timeaisis
splinter
kyan
retroid
salvapot
kingkitty

Anyone wanna donate to my drink and cab fare fund as thanks for my generosity? Thanks in advance.

Catvoca

Banned
Catvoca, just out of curiosity, if you had to pick one to be scum between Dusk and Hyper, which one would it be? And why? I think you have good insight and your reads list seemed pretty observant and well put together, so I'd like to know what you think.

As for my opening post, I was on mobile when I made it so I didn't have the chance to really go as in depth as I wanted to. Maybe it came off as naive or timid, sure, but I did what I could at the time. I know it isn't much of an excuse but it's the truth lol

Between the two I'd pick Dusk. It's not just the weirdly aggressive accusation, his reasons backing it up seemed super weak to me. It's easier for me to imagine Hyper being way too eager to start than it is for Dust to be a well meaning townie. Right now I'm leaning towards voting for him or Retroid. I'm not ready to vote for Hyper, i'd like to see more of his posts before I decide what's up with him.

As I posted, on re-reading your stuff it seemed more genuine to me, and the more you post the more i'm leaning towards town. I think your trying to help.

Between the two I'd pick Dusk. It's not just the weirdly aggressive accusation, his reasons backing it up seemed super weak to me. It's easier for me to imagine Hyper being way too eager to start than it is for Dust to be a well meaning townie. Right now I'm leaning towards voting for him or Retroid. I'm not ready to vote for Hyper, i'd like to see more of his posts before I decide what's up with him.

As I posted, on re-reading your stuff it seemed more genuine to me, and the more you post the more i'm leaning towards town. I think your trying to help.

I agree with you that Hyper is probably not a good lynch idea. I can't think of any scum that would put themselves in the spotlight like that literally as the game starts. But I don't think he's town either. His instant vote on me that he has yet to explain (I know he dropped it but, out of all the players in this game, why me, specifically?) and his questions are weird. Maybe a neutral with something to hide?

Your reasons for Dusk are sound. I also don't like how he immediately vanished. But what's holding me back is, surely a scum player would know that's super fishy? I don't get it. I'd like to see if he posts more before dropping a vote.

As for Retroid, he's barely posted so I have no strong opinion on him.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'll order these people a Null and Fluffy with a splash of Won't Lynch:
hyper
ouro

I'll order these people a Mafia Sour, hopefully a drink will loosen them up a little... I can't afford to buy another round for more than a few of them:
euphemism
a human becoming
dusksoldier
theexodus
nin1000
mattyg
crab
tomakasafnav

I've never played with these people (I don't think), I'll order them an Extra Dry Townie-Tini to break the ice:
absolutbro
catvoca
barrylocke
Wherearemahdragons

I recognize these people and have some idea of their meta, not much to say about them yet though:
timeaisis
splinter
kyan
retroid
salvapot
kingkitty

Anyone wanna donate to my drink and cab fare fund as thanks for my generosity? Thanks in advance.

should i vote mattyg with you

nin1000

Banned
I agree with you that Hyper is probably not a good lynch idea. I can't think of any scum that would put themselves in the spotlight like that literally as the game starts. But I don't think he's town either. His instant vote on me that he has yet to explain

Here it is :

Now to start this, I'm not going to be voting randomly for Wherearemahdragonz:

(I know he dropped it but, out of all the players in this game, why me, specifically?)
Random.org

and his questions are weird. Maybe a neutral with something to hide?

i think he tried to start a conversation since he was the first one to post this was, in my humble opinion, a great way to do it

*Splinter

Ok that one didn't count.

This run
AAAAHHHHHHHH

I didn't fail this time :D So I guess I'll pick someone else

Nin was my next choice, but he got in just in time. His post was worth the wait, if only for the lols.

Seems pointless to poke Crab, he knows how to post and I can only assume he's been unavailable.

Euphemism, post if you're town. What do you make of batsnacks posts so far? What do you make of WhereAreMahDragonz'? Who stands out to you and why?

I saw Kitty asked me some questions. I don't want to talk about Dragonz just yet. Barrylocke is mostly a gut read, I'm going to take a closer look at some point and try to explain it more coherently.

*Splinter

Mattyg took some early heat and I don't think has posted since, he's shuffling up my scum list.

Stackpole I hadn't really noticed, but agree that was an empty post. Need to see more from her, but it seems she's getting appropriate attention for now at least.

Did you guys like how I did cute drink names? I thought that was pretty cute.
It was cute, I liked it.
crab is going to come any second now

i can feel him
Lew-
this is a softball

i won't swing

too easy
*cough*

kingkitty

I agree with you that Hyper is probably not a good lynch idea. I can't think of any scum that would put themselves in the spotlight like that literally as the game starts.

i've had a game or a two where scum put themselves right in the spotlight. those types of moves were usually bold and risky. but hyper writing what seems like helpful posts at the beginning of the game doesn't really strike me as a risky, bold move. although it might still give him the spotlight. and if hyper is scum, then I would think for this particular strategy, being in the spotlight (in a positive way) is the whole point.

"oh everyone look he's being so helpful and townie-like, def not scum or neutral"

Timeaisis

Can we talk about TheExodu5 for a second?

Sorry boys, I had too much whiskey diet.

I've only played with scum with Hyperactivity. He was super helpful town as scum. Regardless of whether he's scum or not, his opening post is solid.

1) Harry Potter (scum) and Disney Princess (town)

2) I winged it for Disney. I feel my instincts were pretty horrible as town. I was an alright scum and did have a plan...much easier to play when you have a lot of information.

3) Erratic. I'm not overly thorough in my investigation so I may forget a lot of details when I make accusations. Part of this is due to the fact that I don't have a terrible large amount of time to devote to the game, so when I'm active, I like to be posting more than reading.

4) Honestly, for the first time ever, I'm feeling a no lynch. The last 2 games I've played, day 1 has been greatly detrimental to town, regardless of what the hive mind says.

Thanks for your input.

Hey everyone, have a whiskey on the house.

If you don't like whiskey, you can drink water.

Alright, you win. You can have your usual raspberry sorbet vodka cooler. I'm just trying to save you from yourself.

One post responding directly to Hyperactivity. Otherwise, a bunch of fluff.

Timeaisis

Sorry, forgot some highlighting.

I've only played with scum with Hyperactivity. He was super helpful town as scum. Regardless of whether he's scum or not, his opening post is solid.

1) Harry Potter (scum) and Disney Princess (town)

2) I winged it for Disney. I feel my instincts were pretty horrible as town. I was an alright scum and did have a plan...much easier to play when you have a lot of information.

3) Erratic. I'm not overly thorough in my investigation so I may forget a lot of details when I make accusations. Part of this is due to the fact that I don't have a terrible large amount of time to devote to the game, so when I'm active, I like to be posting more than reading.

4) Honestly, for the first time ever, I'm feeling a no lynch. The last 2 games I've played, day 1 has been greatly detrimental to town, regardless of what the hive mind says.

1) So he posts fluff when he is active? The bolded makes it sound like he's making a future excuse for his posting style. Either it's going to be badly thought out accusations due to lack of reading or fluff posts.
2) He wants a no lynch D1. Maybe he's being fluffy D1 because he doesn't want to commit and make a no-lynch?

Rubs me the wrong way.

Catvoca

Banned
I don't really see anything scummy about Matt's early posts. I don't see what makes him a better lynch candidate than anyone else that has been pretty inactive. Although, and I hope this isn't meta-gaming too much, the fact that he has been active in other gaf threads today and ignored this one is suspect.

Ourobolus

Banned
I don't really see anything scummy about Matt's early posts. I don't see what makes him a better lynch candidate than anyone else that has been pretty inactive. Although, and I hope this isn't meta-gaming too much, the fact that he has been active in other gaf threads today and ignored this one is suspect.

he hasn't said much

just enough to be present

this is literally all he has said:

Oh shit, we started. I'm definitely in favor of a lynch day 1, as bad as that sounds. Without that, we have no info to go on and day 2 is just a repeat of day 1, except that a townie may have died in the night.

I only said it "sounds bad" because people usually say that random lynches are anti-town (or at least they did last time I played).

giphy.gif

That's Herr Schlongstein to you.

I've actually never played true beer pong. Kids at school always put water in the cups instead and you just drink out of whatever you have in your hand. I don't know if it's just easier to not have to refill them every time or what.

Hey newbies, don't be afraid to fuck up
we'll only kill you if you do.

Make GAFia Great Again

his first 2 posts are the only ones with any substance

the first one is a careful way of saying he would totally lynch someone even though he doesn't want to

no lynch doesn't help town (for the most part) outside of MYLO

Here it is :

Random.org

i think he tried to start a conversation since he was the first one to post this was, in my humble opinion, a great way to do it

Wait, those were his actual reasons? I thought they were just observations on his part, not the explanation behind his vote. Makes even less sense to me now but oh well.

I liked his questions and they did open up a lot of discussion, so I'm not trying to fault him, I just meant it more in the context of the vote + questions together. I didn't explain it well, sorry.

i've had a game or a two where scum put themselves right in the spotlight. those types of moves were usually bold and risky. but hyper writing what seems like helpful posts at the beginning of the game doesn't really strike me as a risky, bold move. although it might still give him the spotlight. and if hyper is scum, then I would think for this particular strategy, being in the spotlight (in a positive way) is the whole point.

"oh everyone look he's being so helpful and townie-like, def not scum or neutral"

You make a good point. I will still need to see more from him before he gets my vote or lack thereof, but either way I don't think he's town.

Catvoca

Banned
he hasn't said much

just enough to be present

this is literally all he has said:

his first 2 posts are the only ones with any substance

the first one is a careful way of saying he would totally lynch someone even though he doesn't want to

no lynch doesn't help town (for the most part) outside of MYLO

OK, when you line up his posts like that it certainly seems like a whole lot of crap. The thing I was more getting at is that his posts aren't so different to someone like stackpole, who also hasn't posted much and was in favour of a no Lynch. I'm not opposed to voting Mattyg, I see now how his posting behavior has been scummy, but there's a lot of inactive posters right now and Matty doesn't seem much more scummy than them to me, and because of that I find it a little strange that he has been singled out so strongly.

Top Bottom