• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Someone decided to destroy our poison gym by adding a Flareon to it. Combo breaker!

With me on guard duty nobody is taking this gym, not on my watch (literally, I can watch the gym from my porch).

Fucking 1HP bug :(

How do you collect from Gyms you hold? Do you just wait? Or do you have to actually visit them?

On the Pokemon page there should be a shield at the top right corner with a number that represents how many Gyms you hold. It refreshes the reward every 24 hours

Vire

Are there hacks out now? Reason for asking is the gym near my place have chinese trainers with cp750+

Nah, one of the most recognizable areas in my city, (the mizner park clock tower), has a 1002 Jolteon defending it.

Shit is ridiculous. Probably the most contested spot in Boca Raton.

Biske

Yes, and it's totally ass backwards.

Places with lots of Pokestops and Gyms should have fuck all Pokemon, and places with few or no Pokestops and Gyms should have loads of Pokemon (and the rarest).

As it is, city-folk get the best of both worlds, and anyone out in the boonies is fucked.

It's not even just the boonies. I live in a very populated part of my area. But since there are only a couple of pokestops, most of the area is a dead zone.

Since the game is soooo heavily tied to pokestops, they really need to open up a request feature.

Le-mo

Fucking 1HP bug :(

How do you collect from Gyms you hold? Do you just wait? Or do you have to actually visit them?
You go to the shop and on the top right you'll see an icon to collect every 24 hours your pokemon is at the gym.

purg3

slept with Malkin
So many people out in the city last night playing this, I've never seen anything like it before. I don't even have the game and I was sitting on a bench waiting to meet up with some friends. There were a group of people on the bench next to me and I pulled out my phone to check a message and the person next to me goes, "this is a great spot." I just said "what?" and he was like "to stock up on pokeballs, you're playing pokemon go, right?"

Walking home later was hilarious, people all over the streets huddled up with their phones out and I could hear them talking about what pokemon they just caught.

The gym just down the road from me keeps changing between all 3 colours, it's rather cool but I'm always worried that if I walk there I'll see someone on their phone and feel awkward

Also, not a single connection problem since yesterday morning, quite happy

Wait until West Coast wakes up. That's when the servers have started buckling for the past two days.

But yes, this morning was pleasant. Set down a lure at the park while my dog played, and finally caught a ghost pokemon. :)

jwk94

So how are some of you guys seeing the direction of a Pokémon? I thought the game just gives you a rough distance in any direction.

Pachimari

I found a Ghastly just outside my door, well shit, I knew there were spooky things going on in this building.

I haven't encountered anyone playing Pokémon Go here in Denmark yet, and I live in the capitol, Copenhagen.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The gym just down the road from me keeps changing between all 3 colours, it's rather cool but I'm always worried that if I walk there I'll see someone on their phone and feel awkward

You feel awkward when sharing a common interest with people?

They are playing the game in pubic too. Just go have some fun and make some friends.

So how are some of you guys seeing the direction of a Pokémon? I thought the game just gives you a rough distance in any direction.

Apparently when you track a Pokemon (tap on one of them in your nearby list) a ring will glow around it when you're walking in the right direction. I haven't been able to test this yet, but it sounds useful, and exactly the kind of thing the game should explain...

I would love it if the footprints just orientated towards the direction you need to walk in. You know, like you're actually tracking its footprints. Would be intuitive, and logical.

Chaos17

That must have meant a lot for the author to witness this, such a heart warming story.

1n98cHB.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4s3v68/pokemon_bringing_out_the_best_in_humanity/

Edit: I hope someone will one day make a nice compilation of all those stories because it's worth it that from time to time humanity can shine just a simple game to break the ice between people.

Shoyz

Apparently when you track a Pokemon (tap on one of them in your nearby list) a ring will glow around it when you're walking in the right direction. I haven't been able to test this yet, but it sounds useful, and exactly the kind of thing the game should explain...

I would love it if the footprints just orientated towards the direction you need to walk in. You know, like you're actually tracking its footprints. Would be intuitive, and logical.

The flashes are just updates in general, nothing to do with getting closer.

Move in one direction, see if it moves up or down the list. If up, continue until it moves down, then move left/right and repeat.
If down, turn around.

haendeul

I met a girl last night trying to beat the only gym in our area. She was the previous gym leader, but some Instinct bastards had taken over it. We were both hit by the server issues and the 1 hp bug, so we couldn't take it back then. We swore to hold it down together for Team Mystic. I went back this morning and replaced them with my Psyduck. I'm looking forward to seeing her addition next time I head up there.

I feel kind of awkward when people pass me when I'm trying to catch a Pokemon. But it's also tons of fun, and meeting someone in the middle of nowhere doing the same thing is really great. Can't wait to head down to the city tomorrow and seeing all the pokestops and gyms I know will be there.

I m so glad that my new Nexus 6p has a godlike battery right now

My Nexus 5 has awful battery life and I'm really looking forward to replacing it this fall.

rainy_day

I tried a gym for the first time last night. I got the enemy down to one health. It just stuck there. Tried over and over again and nothing. Hopefully just a glitch.

For people who are confused on how CP works, I think I've figured out what they're going for with it. I was down on it before because it seemed like early pokemon would be useless, but that's not the case. I got a lot of the info from reading around and some from my own observation.

1.) It doesn't matter in terms of the end goal of CP whether you power up or evolve your pokemon first. If you catch two Pidgeys, but one has a higher CP than the other, that's just because their white progression bar are at different points. So leveling up a pokemon what starts off as weak won't necessarily have lower or higher max CP than the stronger one you found, it just would be less efficient since you'd have to have more candy to max it out.

2.) There IS a factor that makes max CP vary among pokemon of the same species, and that is height & weight. This is the part where the details don't seem to be completely down yet, but there has been some evidence that Pokemon with lighter weights have less max CP, but are more agile in return. Height probably has some effect too. HP is probably involved in this somehow, but again, the community doesn't seem to have all these details 100% down, but it's definitely
probably
a coherent/consistent system.

I really like this.

jackal27

Banned
Man this idea of this game and the attach rate are absolutely amazing.

However, the game itself is not very good and has lots of problems. Wish there was more "game" there.

eifer

lol there were massive crowds of people at the gym in the park across from where I live. People were also having lightsaber fights. It's OK to embrace and express your nerdiness.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Well that's just how I am, I'm going for a walk soon so well see how things go!

Just trying to calm your nerves. I have ran into tons of people playing this and when they speak up it's super friendly (even when you're taking their gym).

Haven't heard a single person judge even when they aren't playing. I saw one guy curious of what everybody was playing and a girl from the group went over and showed him the app and how to get started.

This is the coolest dang social phenomenon I have ever witnessed.

MarioLinkSamus

not a fan of Ashley Madison. Digs her website tho
So many people out in the city last night playing this, I've never seen anything like it before. I don't even have the game and I was sitting on a bench waiting to meet up with some friends. There were a group of people on the bench next to me and I pulled out my phone to check a message and the person next to me goes, "this is a great spot." I just said "what?" and he was like "to stock up on pokeballs, you're playing pokemon go, right?"

Walking home later was hilarious, people all over the streets huddled up with their phones out and I could hear them talking about what pokemon they just caught.

I came here to share a similar story. Last night I went to a BBQ in the park near the U of MN campus. I counted at least 5 people flocking to our position at different times playing the game. There was a gym near by. As I drove away, I saw more converging in. If the game continues like this in popularity, it will be the most profitable game in Nintendo history.

Side note: Nintendo dropped the ball in integrating this with My Nintendo (so far).

Just trying to calm your nerves. I have ran into tons of people playing this and when they speak up it's super friendly (even when you're taking their gym).

Haven't heard a single person judge even when they aren't playing. I saw one guy curious of what everybody was playing and a girl from the group went over and showed him the app and how to get started.

This is the coolest dang social phenomenon I have ever witnessed.
I am quite excited about it, if any genre was going to make gps tracking gaming popular it would be Pokemon by a mile.

Busaiku

Man, I can't go out for the next few days, thinking about buying some Incense and Pokéballs.
When I tried an Incense yesterday, I only got like 5 encounters and they weren't the best. Though I did finally manage to land a Krabby.
Has anyone gotten rarer Pokémon with Incense?

oti

Banned
Tried one incense while biking around the city

I think i caught something like 20-22 pokemon jesus lol

I have questions:

1. Do you have one of those bike phone case thingies to have your phone in front of you at all time or were you reaching inside your pocket every time you saw a Pokémon?
2. Were you listening to music/podcasts while doing this? For the life of me I can't figure out how to make this work. POGO takes the audio over and whenever I force any other app to play audio POGO just goes entirely silent. Only vibration stays on and that's not enough for me to notice everything going on.
3. Psyduck?

vypek

Man, I can't go out for the next few days, thinking about buying some Incense and Pokéballs.
When I tried an Incense yesterday, I only got like 5 encounters and they weren't the best. Though I did finally manage to land a Krabby.
Has anyone gotten rarer Pokémon with Incense?

A bulbasaur (which feels rare for my area) and a Tauros from the incense. Goldeen is rare for me as well. It ran though. Dont think anything else was rare

Ambient80

Last night I had 50+ pokeballs. This morning I see a Ghastly and want to catch him, but when I got in battle it said I had no pokeballs.

Sadness overwhelms. :(

Kinsei

Banned
Last night whne I was trying to hatch some eggs my glasses fell off and someone stepped on them so I had to cut my walk short. When I got home I took a look and my 10km eggs was only 0.2km away from hatching. Life sucks sometimes.

Is there any reason to keep my 5 zubat if I caught a golbat or should I dump them all for extra candies? Same thing with my 6 weedle should I just keep the highest cp and dump the rest?

ReaperXL7

Nah, one of the most recognizable areas in my city, (the mizner park clock tower), has a 1002 Jolteon defending it.

Shit is ridiculous. Probably the most contested spot in Boca Raton.

I'll be down there later to take wreck some shop for Mystic, do you know if there are any pokestops around the whole foods off of glades?

Vire

I'll be down there later to take wreck some shop for Mystic, do you know if there are any pokestops around the whole foods off of glades?

You know, I haven't been that way yet since I went down Palmetto to Mizner last night, but since FAU is right near it I'm sure there is some stuff that way.

But cool to know another GAFer is repping here in South FL. :)

Juice

This is the first Pokemon software property I can think of that seems absent any Nintendo branding whatsoever (I suppose the videogames are all at least published by Nintendo)

As a result it's interesting how the Pokémon brand is still associated with Nintendo as opposed to The Pokemon Company, even sending NTDOY soaring.

Does anyone know what percentage of The Pokemon Company is even owned by Nintendo? Details online about whether Nintendo also owns positions in Game Freak (and what about Creatures?) are really hard to come by.

So I attacked my own read teams gym cause the only Mon in it was weak is there any negative to doing that? I placed my good pokemon afterwards

Top Bottom