• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL QB Colin Kaepernick sits during Nat. Anthem; cites America's oppression of POC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf lost his whole career for not standing during the anthem. Hopefully times have changed and Kaep doesn't suffer the same fate. Well, the way he is playing that might happen anyway, but not because of this.

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf lost his whole career for not standing during the anthem. Hopefully times have changed and Kaep doesn't suffer the same fate. Well, the way he is playing that might happen anyway, but not because of this.

Shaq was so pissed for how dirty they did Mahmoud.

Shaq was so pissed for how dirty they did Mahmoud.

My favourite player of all time. Mahmoud would've benefitted greatly of the current NBA rules. He was hand checked to death by bigger guards. But now I'm derailing the issue. Hopefully the NFL stays out of this. NBA wasn't smart enough to do so.

My favourite player of all time. Mahmoud would've benefitted greatly of the current NBA rules. He was hand checked to death by bigger guards. But now I'm derailing the issue. Hopefully the NFL stays out of this. NBA wasn't smart enough to do so.

NFL already came out and said that players are encouraged, not required, to stand during the national anthem so there aren't going to be any issues from the league or team as far as that goes

NFL already came out and said that players are encouraged, not required, to stand during the national anthem so there aren't going to be any issues from the league or team as far as that goes

Ok, so that's the first thing NFL has done correctly in the past ten years or so. Miracles can happen. I was waiting for a 6 game suspension or something like that.

Enzom21

This protest respectfully shit is always amusing.

Generalizing is exactly why Colin is wrong and this post is wrong. Exceptions don't make the rule. You don't throw the baby out with the bath water. You work to change the system.

Freedom doesn't mean you do whatever you want without reprisal from others in the form of the spoken word. That's other people's freedom as well. If you don't understand this you are factually and objectivity wrong.
I love how you stopped responding to Ninja Scooter once he brought up some of the atrocities that have been committed under the flag.
What kind of rose colored glasses are you using to view the history of this country? People haven't always been free under our flag.

Yeah media digging up stuff, label him a thug, the fact that now thug means something it hasn't for the last 36 years of my life is what really caught me off guard.

Do you think it doesn't? What did Richard Sherman do that was thug-like?

Not true.

They also suspended Tom Brady.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that belongs in the "we don't know what we are doing" category. Right there with CTE, Ray Rice, and every "Adderall" suspension the NFL has ever given. And this is derailing the thread once again.

Kaep might have been days away from being cut before this

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Um.

I'm not as easily impressed as GAF is. In fact I'm a bit offended because, as an American who truly wants equality for everyone - I feel his message divides us further.

He's not rejecting Americana or imperialism.
He's not protesting our military's bloodshed abroad.
He's certainly not protesting capitalism, because lord knows he's making more than I would in 10 lifetimes (That could be a miscalculation - he might be making more than that...)

In reality, he's protesting for the improvement of black lives -- which the American federal government has only improved over the course of two centuries.

If that flag didn't rise over the confederate flag, American black lives would be far worse off.
If that flag didn't rise of the swastika, American black lives would be far worse off.
If that flag didn't rise over the hammer-and-sickle, American black lives would be far worse off.

I personally feel this protest was misguided.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I respect Kap for this. Unlike that coon Cam Newton who said racism doesn't exist anymore. He's the only player that has the guts to say something, the rest of these fucking clowns don't care becuase they're making millions.

-d0hv

Um.

I'm not as easily impressed as GAF is. In fact I'm a bit offended because, as an American who truly wants equality for everyone - I feel his message divides us further.

He's certainly not protesting capitalism, because lord knows he's making more than I would in 10 lifetimes (That could be a miscalculation - he might be making more than that...)

In reality, he's protesting for the improvement of black lives -- which the American federal government has only improved over the course of two centuries.

If that flag didn't rise over the confederate flag, American black lives would be far worse off.
If that flag didn't rise of the swastika, American black lives would be far worse off.
If that flag didn't rise over the hammer-and-sickle, American black lives would be far worse off.

I feel like your post is incredibly misguided.

This notion that black people don't know how good they have it is, at best, incredibly naive and out of touch, and at worst, racist.

Um.

giphy.gif

Yeah, it's not as bad as it would be if he was living in fucking Nazi Germany.

That doesn't mean there ain't a problem.

MoeDabs

Um.

He is protesting for fair treatment, to stop the way police treat POC. But you probably know that and still think that way.

Slayven

Nana Ruth didn't buy season tickets for this. She is going to ask stub hub for a refund, and delete her Draftkings account.

FyreWulff

The only group responsible for improving the lives of black citizens has been black citizens.

You mean the flag that wanted to keep black persons as property to appease the war from happening in the first places?

You mean the flag that gave black men that signed up to fight fake wooden guns at first, and fucked them over as much as possible on GI Bill benefits afterwards?

Not being the first one to pass out amongst a dare session of holding your breath versus someone else isn't really "rising over" anything.

FyreWulff

Seriously, it's 2016 and people are still peddling various versions of "but, some of them were nice and humane plantations"

Aselith

What is your argument here? What do you think is a respectable way for people to protest cops?

He has to make a flag of one of the officers that killed a black man and ask that the stadium raise that flag during the anthem so he can not stand up for the RIGHT thing clearly.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Um.

the classic "Black people complain about black stuff too much" argument

or is it the legendary "there are most important things happening in the world" argument....

Aselith

or is it the legendary "there are most important things happening in the world" argument....

No you see police aren't federal officers so even though it's a NATIONwide problem, when you don't stand up for the flag you are only disrespecting federal officers because no one is capable of parsing basic things. We're all idiots so he fucked up his protest.

FyreWulff

Totally support Kap in this.

Sports talk radio is gonna be lit this week.

I never understood why people get so emotional when POC don't feel the same sort of patriotism for US and the flag that they do. Like, how can you expect people of color to be as in love with America, the flag, as you are given the history and current systemic oppression they experience? I feel like these people are incapable of empathy, can't even just for a minute put themselves in someone else's shoes and try to understand a different point of view.

Guy better brace himself.

Gonna have to put up the worst aspects of the nationalistic wankfest that surrounds Football.

Good on him tho.

platocplx

Um.

Ah. So how do you explain the Chinese exclusion act of 1882? That was under dat flag. Segregation? Japanese internment? People thinking our Catholic president took orders from the pope? This argument is pretty poor.

Enzom21

Strongly worded letter to his local paper's rants and raves section
Still disrespectful... maybe that paper had a hand in making life better for the blacks.
He has to make a flag of one of the officers that killed a black man and ask that the stadium raise that flag during the anthem so he can not stand up for the RIGHT thing clearly.
What about all of the other blacks who's lives were improved by not being killed by those officers? Still not respectful enough.

Don't forget the whole "The blacks don't know how well they have it!" nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom