• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Stand for the National Anthem When No One is Looking?

Do you stand for the national anthem when alone?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I ask this question to every single person who is just so angry at those "disrespectful" players. If they say yes you know they are lying and if they say no then they are a hypocrite. It's the perfect way to shut those idiots up. Nationalism is always hypocritical. There are no actual principles there, just blind following traditions and pressuring others to.

Had a friend of mine do this once during a football game. I shamed him for not voting in the 2016 election till he sat down.

rpmurphy

Never seen anyone stand up for the national anthem at Super Bowl parties. Watching people on the TV standing up is probably good enough? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

devilhawk

If there is a flag within sight, yes. Therefore a flag on a television screen would not count so I don't stand when I'm watching at home.

Once when I was about 14 we went on a school outing to see the film Cromwell starring Richard Harris and Alec Guinness. You may recall that it's about the English Civil War, and its aftermath in which the king (Guinness) is convicted of a treasonous plot against Parliament and beheaded.

Quite good, I thought. It really helped to flesh out the dry textbooks.

Then, as was common in those days, the performance was followed by a recording of God Save the Queen. We kids all started to head out of the cinema auditorium, as we had always done when we visited the cinema with our parents.

Whereupon our teacher, a fastidious red-haired Scotsman called McKendrick, deployed his most devastating teacher voice to force us all to stop and stand in our tracks until the end of the national anthem. We'd just seen a duly anointed king go to the chopping block, which made it seem very bizarre.

Other than that, I've never stood for the national anthem.

Weckum

lol no the swedish national anthem sucks

the melody completely lacks punch

also patriotism doesn't really have a place in this century tbqh

Patriotism isn't that bad, it's when you get into nationalism that it gets bad.

Also, fuck no, I won't even stand up in public. It's just a national anthem.

For a league game on TV, no.

But when the National team plays during an international game, yes.

I stand for Team Canada. And I stand for the Seleção Portuguesa.

Lkr

I watched Alabama vs Clemson pt 2 at a bar and some dude sat at the bar with his hand over his heart during the national anthem. Couldn't even make the effort to stand.

The rest of us ingrates tuned out for the over dramatized rendition of the song and carried on with conversations over it

t20W7vJ.gif

Do you think he's coming back?

G-Bus

Banned
Eh, I'll stand for the anthems when I go see an NHL gane or somewhere where the crowd stands.

If I didn't feel like standing I wouldn't.

Such a bullshit thing to get mad at someone for.

PSqueak

Banned
I don't ever stand for it unless it's instructed and absolutely a must, then again, i don't think people give that much of a shit here as people as the USA seem to do.

JABEE

For a league game on TV, no.

But when the National team plays during an international game, yes.

I stand for Team Canada. And I stand for the Seleção Portuguesa.

Do you stand at home?

My point and question is trying to determine if something changed as I was not alive in the 80s.

I also think it's a point that standing for the flag is not about principle, but peer pressure/public display. Kaepernick refusing to stand violated a social norm, but in no way does is it disrespecting a principle of respect for the military or the country itself.

Kaepernick is disrespecting social norms, not the flag itself. Which is why I wonder if standing when no one was watching is something people actually did?

I know military service members are taught to salute the flag no matter the social context.

Generally, yes. To be fair, I only ever hear it when I'm at an event that plays it (super, super rare) or if I'm close enough to base around 5pm. If I do hear it in that context I actually stop and wait for it to play out.

I mean, part of it is being a military brat, for sure, but I'm not down on what it represents just because a bunch of assholes like to be assholes to people that look different or are from a different country.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
*open thread*

*ctrl + f: "clap"*

*leave satisfied*

OmegaFax

I don't believe in this sort of nationalism. It's a belief ... a type of conformity, and I take it as a form of obedience. It feels anti-American to not be free thinking or think out of the box or choose. I don't take things for granted but me, personally, any belief or devotion I have doesn't need to publically acknowledged all the time.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
wha? like if i'm watching a game at home?

of course not

i do it at the stadium though i aint tryin to get lynched by eagles fans in the parking lot

firelogic

I still don't understand why the national anthem is played at sporting events. Maybe I'm just not patriotic but really, what's the point?

Edit: Especially when it's not an international event. Yankees playing the Red Sox. Why is the anthem necessary?

I remember my first visit to Shea Stadium, I was "spoken to" by a friend for not taking my cap off during the national anthem.

I am not even American.

Lol no, not many people in my country even do that. Only really right wing people are obsessed with patriotism and fly the flag everywhere.

Top Bottom