• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Stand for the National Anthem When No One is Looking?

Do you stand for the national anthem when alone?

Results are only viewable after voting.

JABEE

There are many stories about the "disrespect" of Colin Kaepernick's protest against the killing of unarmed black men in this country, but I was curious if anyone actually stands for the national anthem anymore without peer pressure?

I know I don't when I'm watching games at home. I was listening to the WIP (a sports radio station in Philadelphia) and they were saying people used to stand out of principle. The host said he doesn't stand or salute when watching games at home either.

Do you remember people standing when The Star Spangled Banner was played on the radio or television in your home?

How many people protesting Colin Kaepernick "respect" the flag out of principle versus the pressure of being ostracized or harassed at a public event?

I feel it's just an excuse to silence people calling out racial discrimination. I'm genuinely curious if this is something normal for this country before the 90s.

I know I don't when I'm watching games at home. I was listening to the WIP (a sports radio station in Philadelphia) and they were saying people used to stand out of principle. The host said he doesn't stand or salute when watching games at home either.
There are people that do this? Wut

I have never stood for the National Anthem in my home.

I do, though, in public if it's customary to do so. I don't mind standing for any country's national anthem. If I'm at a baseball or hockey game that plays another country's anthem, then I'll stand for it, stop talking, and remove my hat. I'll clap if someone sang it too.

_Ryo_

I havent stood for the national anthem or Pledge of Allegiance since like the second semester of 9th grade. I will be 30 in a few months.

Do you remember people standing when The Star Spangled Banner was played on the radio or television in your home?

[...]

I'm genuinely curious if this is something normal for this country before the 90s.

No.

i flip the channel when the national anthem is playing

Also, this.

I've done it on occasion. Or at least taken off my hat.

Guess I'm weird.

But you shouldn't be wearing a hat in the house, silly.
/s

Platy

Not even when people are looking.

Not many reasons to love my country and the systems represented by the anthem

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
When the anthem is playing that means you still have time before the game starts to do other shit. That's all it means for me when it's on TV.

It does always strike me as comical when someone in a recliner with a bowl of nachos on his oversized belly is mad at someone on the opposite side of the picture tube not standing.

Like, do you realize what you're doing right now.

No, nobody stands at home. Because that would be stupid.

Boem

Here in the Netherlands I can't think of any moment in time where people would stand for the national anthem. Maybe as a joke. Or during European/World football championships, when everyone is drunk as hell. You definitely don't get shit on if you don't stand. Watching that entire issue from across the pond was definitely one of those moments where you scratch your head.

But I get that some things just work differently in the US. I think we mostly kinda look down on that kind of nationalism. Also stuff like the President thanking God in big speeches. That would definitely be not done here. Seperation of church and state y'all, it's a good thing.

Edit: Just to note, because reading this back I sound bitchy as hell while I wasn't intending it: I do think most Americans are good people. Not the pumpkin in chief, but we got one of those here as well, although he's luckily not in charge.

Mudcrab

Yes, I also clap at the TV when its done playing and send the performers a very reasonable tip through the mail.

Beth Cyra

I never raised my hand to my heart and wouldn't say it as I can't give two fucks about a flag or borders.

I did stand in school but only because I had to.

Anymore I wouldn't stand even in a public setting.

ctfg23

I don't understand why in the US we idolize the anthem/flag so much. I don't even think it should be at sporting events in the first place tbh.

Geist-

Nah, only when I was in a crowd.

Not anymore though, not after I read the full lyrics. Fuck that racist poem.

I saw a few comments from "patriotic" white people talking about how they always stand for the anthem even when they are just watching it on TV at home or at a bar to somehow show they are above people like Kaepernick.

Me personally, fuck no. I was the kid in school that used to get in trouble for not standing for the pledge of allegiance.

Servbot24

Banned

Wait, what? You stood up for the national anthem when it came on the radio and you were just chilling at home?

I have a hard time believing this has ever happened

Redd

I only stand if I'm at a game or an event out of respect and tradition(we had to stand for the pledge and star spangled banner). I certainly never stand in my own house. Certainly give no fucks if someone doesn't. That's what freedom is about.

I stand up for every anthem played on my TV and clap every time it finishes. And then I go back to eating my burger and drinking PBR. Murica

I don't stand for the national anthem unless I'm at an event whose explicit purpose is to honor military servicepeople.

I think it's ridiculous that we have the anthem at sporting events, too.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I don't think I've ever stood for the anthem unless in a situation where I'm expected to, like in school or in sporting events.

SeanC

No, if nobody is around then I don't care. Hell, I barely care when there are people around, but then I think of servicemen and women and I'll stand for them.

norm9

If I have a giant plate of nachos on my lap and I'm holding a giant $20 beer also at the stadium, I'm not standing up.

Otherwise I'll stand up because I'll be sitting for the next two plus hours and my legs will get sore.

Sephzilla

Yes, at least in person, but I always say "under the Constitution" during the "under God" bit.

t20W7vJ.gif

Top Bottom