• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City police take a knee at rally in support of Colin Kaepernick

Quixzlizx

I agree that it's spooky/gross how the NFL tries to stomp the individuality out of all of its players (not just the black ones) to reduce them to interchangeable parts so none of them can ever threaten the product the owners profit from. Kaepernick happened to expose that mentality while making a political statement, instead of being penalized/fined for daring to take off his helmet or celebrate on the field.

I lost any sympathy I had for Kaepernick personally after the no voting advocacy, though. To me it's the difference between being an anti-vaxxer yourself and trying to convert others.

Kite

The NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts. Which means you can be released at any time. The Niners were going to release Kaepernick in June which meant it would be harder to find another team to play for. Kaepernick opted out so he can have an better chance of find said team.
lol Kaep was originally under contract until 2020 and restructured his deal in Oct last year from 4 years to 2 year with a player option. This is exactly what Kaep and the 49ers wanted, don't pretend like Kaep getting cut is unexpected. He agreed to the restructure and left as expected.

He's just playing that deflecting game. Notice he didn't mention all the other Qbs Colin is better than yet they got signed.
Kaep is more talented than most if not all the shitty qbs signed before him, but also need the offense tailored to him. He is a duel threat qb and a garbage pocket qb, no team is changing their offense for him and instead went to the draft. The one team I think should have signed him as a backup is Seattle, he fits in perfectly.

Mark L

If a black man is so disgusted by the politics of white supremacy in this country that they do not want to vote, I respect that. I (a white man) disagree, but I would not presume to tell them how they should feel- the shit they go through and what I experience are not comparable. This goes double for a man who risks throwing his whole career away to make a stand against injustice.

ZeoVGM

Banned
He is being blackballed.

Everyone knows it.

Not sure if he will ever play again.

NFL is complete garbage. I was a huge fan but I am done with it because of this shit.

He's also terrible, to be fair. But yeah, I think he'd be given another chance if not for this.

(So you won't be in the NFL thread this year?)

Quixzlizx

I guess voting solve everything to you. I bet if you was alive during Ali prime, I bet you would had been like Ali is a traitor for not going to fight in the war.

Refusing involuntary conscription is obviously a completely different context, so I'm just going to ignore that part of your answer.

And I'm not even saying he had to vote Democratic, or even vote at all, but he's trying to convince other people not to vote. If he's completely given up on participating in democracy, then why exactly should I be listening to him? Is he a revolutionary? It doesn't seem like he is, since he's still willing to play in the NFL and stand for the anthem this upcoming season. Or is this his strategy:

dilbertvote-600x199.png

And I like how you made sure only to quote one part out of my post to make me look like I just entered this thread to denounce him.

Sanjuro

lol Kaep was originally under contract until 2020 and restructured his deal in Oct last year from 4 years to 2 year with a player option. This is exactly what Kaep and the 49ers wanted, don't pretend like Kaep getting cut is unexpected. He agreed to the restructure and left as expected.

Kaep is more talented than most if not all the shitty qbs signed before him, but also need the offense tailored to him. He is a duel threat qb and a garbage pocket qb, no team is changing their offense for him and instead went to the draft. The one team I think should have signed him as a backup is Seattle, he fits in perfectly.

Arizona would have made the most sense to me.

dafortune

If a black man is so disgusted by the politics of white supremacy in this country that they do not want to vote, I respect that. I (a white man) disagree, but I would not presume to tell them how they should feel- the shit they go through and what I experience are not comparable. This goes double for a man who risks throwing his whole career away to make a stand against injustice.

You shouldn't respect that, it's fucking stupid. They're borderline complicit in the white supremacy they're supposedly disgusted by. We give white people shit for saying both sides are the same and this is no different.

I agree that it's spooky/gross how the NFL tries to stomp the individuality out of all of its players (not just the black ones) to reduce them to interchangeable parts so none of them can ever threaten the product the owners profit from. Kaepernick happened to expose that mentality while making a political statement, instead of being penalized/fined for daring to take off his helmet or celebrate on the field.

I lost any sympathy I had for Kaepernick personally after the no voting advocacy, though. To me it's the difference between being an anti-vaxxer yourself and trying to convert others.
I really would like the commentators, NFL management, etc who basically was calling Kaepernick a coward, Non-American, not a team player to be called out and crucified once the tide changes. I want their job once/if Kaepernick gets his ride back.

The people who were outraged, saying that he should protest in a more acceptable manner were just veiled racists / classists.

Since some can't seem to separate certain things, I'll make this comment. FUCK this nigga and the "don't vote" brigade. They'll have to accept responsibility for the bullshit that comes with that nonsense. Last thing I need to hear from a dude, making millions, in a state that don't count, telling others to not bother. It's garbage. Point blank.

This doesn't change our past. Doesn't bring dead folks back. Doesn't make injustice go away. Doesn't mean that the message is completely spoiled. Changes need to be made..that hasn't changed.

Edit-

In case it's lost on people, fuck being pushed out for trying to help with injustice. He can eat shit, but I don't see how asking for folks not to keep getting shot is something i'm supposed to abandon because he's an idiot..imo, of course..

The NFL only has a problem with players expressing their political views if they challenge the status quo. If some Black NFL player wanted to do what Ray Lewis does and publicly chastise the Black community for crime and personal failings, they would be given a pat on the back and get used as panelist on ESPN in the offseason.

Quixzlizx

The NFL only has a problem with players expressing their political views if they challenge the status quo. If some Black NFL player wanted to do what Ray Lewis does and publicly chastise the Black community for crime and personal failings, they would be given a pat on the back and get used as panelist on ESPN in the offseason.

That's basically what I said, though. He happened to be making a political message, but the NFL will drop the hammer on anyone who dares to rock the boat and threaten their product.

Edit: A non-political example would be ODB. On the one hand, he brings a lot of excitement to the league. On the other, you can see the constant media hit pieces on him because the NFL doesn't want any personalities capable of transcending the view of NFL players as replaceable cannon fodder.

Since some can't seem to separate certain things, I'll make this comment. FUCK this nigga and the "don't vote" brigade. They'll have to accept responsibility for the bullshit that comes with that nonsense. Last thing I need to hear from a dude, making millions, in a state that don't count, telling others to not bother. It's garbage. Point blank.

This doesn't change our past. Doesn't bring dead folks back. Doesn't make injustice go away. Doesn't mean that the message is completely spoiled. Changes need to be made..that hasn't changed.

Edit-

In case it's lost on people, fuck being pushed out for trying to help with injustice. He can eat shit, but I don't see how asking for folks not to keep getting shot is something i'm supposed to abandon because he's an idiot..imo, of course..

I wonder if he's even registered to vote. He's from Wisconsin, went to school in Nevada, lived in California...lots of times people just don't even bother registering to the place they move to.

I wonder if he's even registered to vote. He's from Wisconsin, went to school in Nevada, lived in California...lots of times people just don't even bother registering to the place they move to.

That is a good question. Who knows..point still stands. The rich can stay home. The rest of us won't benefit, and folks fought long and hard to give us that right equally..

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A lot of NFL fans are racist and stopped watching or got angry because of Kaeps controversial stance that black men are human beings.

The NFL apparently choose to appease the racists instead of us. I would assume they know their audience and would make the decision that lost them the least amount of money.

There is no good way to spin this.

I think you're agreeing with me unfortunately. I'm not spinning it. The NFL chose business over ethics.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Is there a Jaguar-gaf out there?

Kaepernick in Jacksonville? Seriously? Just about the worst place to put him, sadly, given this.

That and the fact that he's not actually a good player, and reportedly Coughlin is (for whatever reasons) dead set against it, and you have a recipe for no Kaepernick.

Some fans will support anyone as the QB as long as they're not Bortles, but Jacksonville as a whole just wouldn't accept him.

Edit: I just took a look at the politics board on the main Jaguars fan board. The top topic is a thread entitled 'Charlottesville' in which regulars (including moderators) are arguing that the whole thing was a false flag event and the car crash was staged. Does that really sound like the sort of place that would be amenable to a black QB who dares to speak out against injustice?

bionic77

Kaepernick in Jacksonville? Seriously? Just about the worst place to put him, sadly, given this.

That and the fact that he's not actually a good player, and reportedly Coughlin is (for whatever reasons) dead set against it, and you have a recipe for no Kaepernick.

Some fans will support anyone as the QB as long as they're not Bortles, but Jacksonville as a whole just wouldn't accept him.

Edit: I just took a look at the politics board on the main Jaguars fan board. The top topic is a thread entitled 'Charlottesville' in which regulars (including moderators) are arguing that the whole thing was a false flag event and the car crash was staged. Does that really sound like the sort of place that would be amenable to a black QB who dares to speak out against injustice?
A lot of NFL fans are horrible people.

Ishan

He is being blackballed.

Everyone knows it.

Not sure if he will ever play again.

NFL is complete garbage. I was a huge fan but I am done with it because of this shit.

those kapernick stats are bad. period. this is not about just his protest.

cwmartin

The voting wasn't just the presidential election. There were many more things to vote on for the 2016 ballot. There was no excuse, he should have voted.

Voting is an option in this country, and I hope that never changes. You should really get off your voting horse.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Didn't this motherfucker not actually vote during the elections?

Fucking lol.

otapnam

And yet worse QBs are getting jobs in the NFL. Just stop it.

If u were a bay area sports fan you wouldn't deny that he hasn't performed as of late.

But he's still young and has potential. It's definitely surprising he hasn't even been offered at least one of these backup spots.

When a few injuries happen this season we'll if he'll get a chance or what

Tim Fucking Tebow hasn't had an ounce of the production and success Kaep has and he had 3 fucking chances with teams before the league was done with him. Y'all are really playing yourselves and acting like suckers if you think this has anything to do with his abilities. Yeah he's probably a mediocre QB, but so are like 3/4 of the QBs in the league, and they all get chance after chance (which highlights another separate but similar issue in the league, that white QBs seemingly get many more multiple opportunities to fail than black QBs, but that's another story).

If u were a bay area sports fan you wouldn't deny that he hasn't performed as of late.

But he's still young and has potential. It's definitely surprising he hasn't even been offered at least one of these backup spots.

When a few injuries happen this season we'll if he'll get a chance or what

I live in the Bay and have Niners season tickets. The Niners had two of the worst coaches I ever seen outside of Rich Kotite. There's around three games I went to where Kaep got the Niners an early lead last year only for bad coaching to choke them away.

those kapernick stats are bad. period. this is not about just his protest.

It really is just about his protest. Every single qb from last year who was in the top 30 other than Kaepernick in QBR has a job in the NFL and 27 out of the top 30 in qbr are starters or are competing for starting qb jobs. Kaepernick was 23rd in qbr ahead of Ryan Tannehill,Cam Newton,Carson Wentz,and Eli Manning.

SheSaidNo

It really is just about his protest. Every single qb from last year who was in the top 30 other than Kaepernick in QBR has a job in the NFL and 27 out of the top 30 in qbr are starters or are competing for starting qb jobs. Kaepernick was 23rd in qbr ahead of Ryan Tannehill,Cam Newton,Carson Wentz,and Eli Manning.

A lot of that was based on his rushing ability, which needs a whole different scheme. He's the only QB on that list with a negative in passing. He can't just backup anybody. I think the only place he would have fit in was seattle.

ccbfan

Kaep is good enough to be back up qb for most teams. He's just not good enough player to deal with the circus that comes with him.

Unless you have a Brady level qb, Kaep on the team is instant qb contraversy. Coaching staffs will instantly be labeled racist by his new found fans when they don't start him. The media circus will be a huge distraction. The distractions will not be worth his positives which is not much to start with considering he's won like 2 games in the last two years.

The only place he could have worked was Seattle but they went another direction. Even there I'm not sure the organizations want to deal with it since Wilson have been accused of being not black enough by his team mates. A back up with the social profile of Kaep is stirring up unnecessary trouble considering how much better Wilson is

Sanjuro

Tim Fucking Tebow hasn't had an ounce of the production and success Kaep has and he had 3 fucking chances with teams before the league was done with him. Y'all are really playing yourselves and acting like suckers if you think this has anything to do with his abilities. Yeah he's probably a mediocre QB, but so are like 3/4 of the QBs in the league, and they all get chance after chance (which highlights another separate but similar issue in the league, that white QBs seemingly get many more multiple opportunities to fail than black QBs, but that's another story).

How much does he want though?!

Ponn

Banned

I wouldn't make it out like this is just a jacksonville or south thing. Lots of people across the US were telling Colin to just shut up and play ball.

Saying that, the Jaguars deserve all the shit they get. It's all self inflicted and it can make for great comedy. We dont even know who are main QB is two weeks from season, and it's because both choices are ass.

Kap went to the Superbowl so at the very least he's a decent game manager (how many great defenses get held back by terrible QBs). That should be good enough for most teams in the NFL.

Afrikan

I'm on Vacation for another week and the internet over here is terrible...but just wanted to throw some stuff out there that some might not know about (if they care at all)

Kap threw for 16TDs with only 4ints last year in alittle more than half a season... coming back from 3 surgeries.

Almost all if his stats came from the first half of games, so these were not patted garbage time stats. We were in the majority of our games in the first half. Heck Kap's QBrating was up there with Brady in our game against the Patriots after the first half... before we got out coached the rest of the game, which happened to Chip Kelly in almost all of our games. Even when Kap wasn't the starter, it was the same shit. 3rd or 4th and inches? Hmmm. Run right up the gut from Shotgun formation...even though it hasn't worked the same previous 10 scenarios.

Kap has played under 3 different OCs.

Contrary to popular belief, Kap has played better from undercenter dropping back in his career... than in shutgun or Pistol formation.

The Packers playoff game in 2012 (Kap's first) where he ran for 160 yards was the only playoff game where the read option killed the other team (although Kap also helped us win that game with his arm)

But the rest of his playoff performances, Kap helped us win with his Arm and his legs (when necessary to put the game away)

Falcons NFC Championship game, we couldn't run the ball. Kap used his arm to bring us back.

SuperBowl, Kap used his arm to bring us back to almost win, along with a nice TD run.

Packers game in Green Bay in -20 or whatever, Kap kept up with Rodgers using his arm...and put it away with his legs with clutch runs.

Won with his arm against the Panthers at Carolina..

Anyway the point is that folks (media and fans) have kept repeating each other saying that Kap and the read option was "figured out" when infact we didn't rely on the read option for most of our wins.

Kap doesn't need a special custom madden playbook....he has 72 Passing TDs in his career with only 30 Ints for a reason. He knows how to play the QB position. Not throwing the game away...and making clutch plays when needed.

He's 4 and 2 in the Playoffs.... not some hyped regular season stats QB who chokes come playoff time. 3 road wins.

Now don't get me wrong, not trying to say he's perfect or close or it's everyone else's fault. He still needs to improve on things like checking down to the rb when everything is covered...to get some positive yards. Instead of looking for the big play.

But that is one good thing about Kap.. when he is on, he tries to pass the ball beyond the 1st down marker. In 2014 when he was considered to have a "bad" year, he was the 7th best QB when it came to 3rd down Conversions. (Passing)

Top Bottom