• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DOOM - THIS GAME IS SOOO GOOOD!!

I'm not even exaggerating when I say this game is not only my GOTY for 2016 (tied with Ratchet and Clank), but has entered one of my top 5 games of all time. Bethesda are doing great work investing into these SP focused games, especially in the FPS genre (apart from the fact they never did this game justice pre-release). I digress, but in a nutshell, this game just BLEW ME THE HELL AWAY, despite already having my expectations elevated due to all that post release hype. Starting this game last Tuesday, and having just platinum-ed it a few days ago on PS4, it's been one hell of [almost] a week, and I'm about to go into why, pretty much every facet of the game, was just so good. (I've included a TL:DR at the end for those who want to cut right to the chase).

oif2i0y.png

7bb0655df0a3036d81cd7cd4f67cfd5c.png

ee847f73df4726a069e1ea2c2831f645.png

1464c1d211863173de2fe605ede73809.png

What better way to start off the thread with the bread and butter of DOOM: its fast and chaotic gameplay. You know when the clock of the shotgun is just perfectly timed with the musical note, that shits about to get serious -- you're in for one hell of a ride.

It instantly throws you into the action, with no time to waste. And it only goes uphill from there. Everything about the combat encounters was bliss: from the perfectly timed music to the swarms of enemies attacking you; not only was the DOOM Marine looking for a fight, so were you. Your heart pumped when you pulled out that heart from the gore nest. It hyped you up so much, that you were looking for any chance to fight, just because it was so fun to blast a demons head off, or to smash their face in with their own arm, only helped beautifully by the horrific animations of the glory kill. The best part being? The incentive of getting up, close and personal with a demon on low health, just to be rewarded with that extra drop of armour, health and ammo. The gameplay loop was just so addictive, and everything about it fell into place really nicely. Like the creative director of the game said, "you stop moving, you die", and the the game promoting an aggressive playstyle and encouraging you to push forward at all times not only worked well with the mindset of the DOOM marine, but actually the player since that's all you want to do: kill demons, whilst playing the risk vs reward feedback loop aspect really well. Changing weapons on the fly, to chaining glory kills, to throwing grenades, to doing all sorts of maneuvers felt satisfying each time.

From the variety of weapons (further helped by the options of mods) that packed a punch and felt so satisfying to shoot, to the fantastic enemy design both taking into account the aesthetic design and the intelligent behaviour of the AI (god damn, the Imp's were annoying as hell!). Or how about the upgrade systems for the weapons, or the rune trials, or even the praetor suit upgrades? There was definitely a lot of breadth and depth into these systems, that not only encouraged use of said abilities on different enemies, but allowing the level design to feedback into the gameplay loop through exploration. Even the challenges that were in each mission helped in contributing to these upgrades. The best way to describe all these extra gameplay features is that: 1) None of them felt useless, 2) Each one fed into each other and 3) They were not necessarily mandatory to enjoy the game, but at the same time not redundant -- they weren't put in for the sake of it, but because they served a purpose.

Which leads me onto the next best part about the gameplay: the exploration. What a joy it was to actually be rewarded by exploration, through not only cool little collectibles (that again, gave you the ability to see the character/enemy models up close), but upgrades that help with gameplay. And how about the homage to the old DOOM games with the secret levels? Just everything about this title is SO GOOD -- I know I keep repeating it ad nauseum, but it feels so meticulously crafted and you can see how much care and thought was put into each level. It's definitely a classic shooter at its core, but done just right for modern systems. Which brings me onto the next aspect of what makes the gameplay so good: the tech.

Oh my, the buttery smooth 60fps, with the impressive depth of field and motion blur techniques, to the joy at being able to go up to 110 FOV on a console (+1 for options, right?!) that helps with the feeling of fast movement, to the great particle effects and PBR implementation that definitely gives every material its depth and how nicely each surface reacts to the light. And hell, how about the beautiful backdrops of Mars, or Hell, and how intimidating, surprising realistic, and detailed each map was. I could go on and on, but words can't describe how impressive the tech going on here really is -- you honestly have to see it for yourself. Granted, it wasn't all that perfect as there were times where textures weren't loading in fast enough, and loading times could sometimes be a pain, but I guess that's the comprise on consoles. In the grand scheme of things, its minor stuff to be honest -- definitely nothing too blemishing on what was otherwise a very beautiful presentation.

I could go on and on about the gameplay, and how much I enjoyed playing it, but I'm sure most of you who have played the game know what I'm talking about, and for those who haven't: JUST PLAY THE DAMN GAME and you'll see what I'm babbling on about :p

e1fbe571bc236c94c460a27734178de4.png

495fed497baf4017a8cf47b5aab5ec4f.png

Story? Why the hell am I including a separate section about a story in a DOOM game? Because you know what, this was the second best thing about the damn game. Because oh my god, it was just pure mad genius. Self aware, engaging, interesting, surprisingly deep and hilarious. These are all the adjectives that spring to mind when recalling this games' story. Because each one was so true. It was actually one of the only games in recent memory where I bothered to read every single codex and the hilarity, and smart witted writing behind it made it all the more better. There was definitely interesting lore to be had there, but what actually makes it so great is to see the development of the story and lore go hand in hand as you progress through the missions. Even better, is the escalation of said lore, and how you see the UAC's manuals and reminders become more and more hellish, going deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole, and not only is this reflected in the codex, and Olivia Pierce's psyche, but also the environments (environmental story telling in this game is on point btw), and through what you see. I'm even more happy that I noticed this, and then proceeded to watch the NoClip documentary (which you should all watch btw) and see that this was a conscious development put in by the developers.

Lore aside, and how interesting it was, I actually really enjoyed the main story itself, and how awesome the DOOM Marine was as a character without saying a word. I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but the first mission says all I need to say about how great the players' expectations and DOOM Marine's attitude towards the exposition is (despite it actually being ironically interesting). It was simple, obvious yet engaging, and sometimes you don't need the most over complicated, subtle plot with numerous twists to have an engaging narrative. Again, the NoClip documentary touches upon this in a much better way than I can ever say, so I'll leave you guys to watch that. Seriously, watch it.
Though the ending definitely leaves your imagination open for the sequel. It'll be interesting to see Samuel Hayden as the turned-villain for the next game.

35f28c5b67b0ea3ec981168cc270cd69.png

2952f964662e08d428b941e5ee3358d7.png

I know I touched upon the music before, but I'd like to include it as a separate section, just to emphasise how awesome it is. Not only as something to listen to, but how in-sync it is with the gameplay, and how it directly impacts the player in regards to pumping them up to kick some demon ass. Now I'm definitely not well informed about genres of music, or sub-genres, but this metal (or whatever type it is) definitely goes hand in hand with this game, both on a thematic level, but also gameplay level. It kind of anagolises the game neatly to be honest: everything fits into place quite nicely.

67ba429f619e36ddff3c76aa8c07c3bf.png

So as you can tell by the long OP, I really liked this game. It's memorable, fun, and despite the numerous encounters towards the end, it never got old. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I heard this as a common complaint that the game got repetitive, but honestly, if the game is amazing at doing something, I definitely don't mind when they throw that something at me 100x times. The rush and hype you get from each encounter felt fresh yet familiar each time, and it was always a joy to blast a shotgun to the fantastic music. So overall, I'd give the game a 9.8/10.

• Fun, fast, chaotic gameplay that's just perfect for a DOOM game, with a nice variety and depth to the combat systems, enemies, and level design. Guns pack a punch and there's enough there to keep the shooting fresh with the different weapon mods.
  • Interesting, yet self-aware (and sometimes hilarious) story that has a lot of great background lore that's engaging enough to keep you wanting more and see the story through to the end. One improvement I think that could have been done a bit better is that the final boss
    could have been slightly more challenging and have more stages, since it was a bit odd for the previous boss to have that, but not this one.
  • It goes without saying, but the tech on display here is superb: 110 FoV, 1080p 60fps, on PS4 with a great PBR implementation, post-processing (loved the depth of field and per object motion blur) and the slick presentation coupled with the horrifically awesome glory kills. Landscapes and backdrops are also beautifully done. The only improvement I'd say is perhaps the textures could have streamed in faster, but that's just nitpicking because you have to compromise at consoles.
  • Soundtrack is just fantastic and perfect for this game, especially as it gets you gloriously pumped for each combat encounter. It also works really well in conjunction with the moment to moment gameplay.
  • Level exploration is so good -- I absolutely love the secrets, collectibles, hidden classic levels from the older DOOM, and the various mission challenge and rune trials. Keep the gameplay loop interesting, especially as the mission challenges and combat rating you get all feed into each other in helping upgrade your character and weapons.
  • Overall, a really fun ride and blast to play through from start to finish. Bethesda are doing great work investing into these single player orientated games, especially in the FPS genre with my GOTY of last year (played it late), Wolfenstsein The New Order.
  • As a side note, I'd honestly recommend any DOOM or non-DOOM fan to watch the NoClip documentary about the game. It definitely explains a lot about the ethos and mentality of the creators when they eventually have their vision (after the years of development he'll) for the game. Really good stuff

Agree completely. I consider it a modern day masterpiece and probably the best game of the generation along side Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze.

I'm doing another playthrough now and, thanks to the NoClip documentary you linked, actually paying attention to the data logs. They are great!

I'm hoping to see more people LTTPing this with the recent sale. We NEED a sequel.

Intel_89

Easily one of my Top 5 of 2016, no other singleplayer shooter has made me feel as pumped as when I'm playing Doom. I really hate myself for disregarding this game when it was announced, I still think that the multiplayer is pretty meh but the main game more than makes up for it.

Karanlos

Easily one of my Top 5 of 2016, no other singleplayer shooter has made me feel as pumped as when I'm playing Doom. I really hate myself for disregarding this game when it was announced, I still think that the multiplayer is pretty meh but the main game more than makes up for it.

The trailer wasn't really any good indication of what the game was. I first got excited after nVidia released the 1070 vulkan gameplay video. So fast paced, sooo good.

paulryp

Banned
Yeah but not enough Puzzle solving for me. I still prefer the Doom 2 in my head with its expansive Hell levels. That game was amazing. New Doom is good but its pales in comparison to its Older sibling.

The trailer wasn't really any good indication of what the game was. I first got excited after nVidia released the 1070 vulkan gameplay video. So fast paced, sooo good.

The best thing about it was, is that I also never expected it to have such fast movement on console as well. Giving the option to players to turn the FoV up to 110 really helped with that.

But yeah, Bethesda's marketing department never did this game justice pre-release.

Yeah but not enough Puzzle solving for me. I still prefer the Doom 2 in my head with its expansive Hell levels. That game was amazing. New Doom is good but its pales in comparison to its Older sibling.

Ahh, unfortunately I never played DOOM 2 so can't comment to that. Will take your word for it though!

I wish I could get into this game. I bought it from psn when it was $20, but I only got to level 2 before I didn't want to play anymore. It seemed dull to me, like I was only doing gated combat arenas and key hunts to open doors. Plus I hate the obnoxious music. Oh well, I'm not a shooter fan anyway, so I'm the outlier here.

matmanx1

Fantastic game that I am nonetheless aggravated with for not being able to play at 144fps on my G-Sync monitor. That sucker locks at 60 no matter what I do. =(

After playing all of my other PC games at 100+ fps with G-Sync it's tough to come back down to 60.

gngf123

Also started this on PC the other day.

I've been turned off of modern FPS's for some time, but I'm really enjoying this. More than I have enjoyed an FPS campaign in nearly a decade.

Arttemis

I wish I could get into this game. I bought it from psn when it was $20, but I only got to level 2 before I didn't want to play anymore. It seemed dull to me, like I was only doing gated combat arenas and key hunts to open doors. Plus I hate the obnoxious music. Oh well, I'm not a shooter fan anyway, so I'm the outlier here.
Man, I wish you could sell digital licenses. I regret passing it up because I was buying BF1 and TF2.

Yeah, I didn't really "get it" either. It was fine, sure, but I basically forgot about it the day after I beat it.
I eventually turned the music off while playing too. It was very annoying.
I liked seeing updated versions of all the monsters from the series though, I'll give it that.

I really like the game but I doubt it's in my top 5 of this year. I found it to be 'go into room, pull out heart thing, kill all baddies that appear, get key, move into next room, pull out heart thing...'.

I know that's what a doom game is, but it didn't really click with me as much as I hoped.

Still yet to finish it.

xuchu

What a beautiful game. It sets out to do one thing and does that one thing remarkably well. Usually not a fan of first person shooters but I loved this game so much that I even completed an ultra-nightmare (ironman) run. It was some of the most fun and intense times I've had with an FPS, if not gaming in general.

It's the ninja gaiden of FPS games, with glory kills serving a similar function to OTs with the added function of giving your health back to promote a forward-pushing and aggressive playstyle even on ultra-nightmare. Similar to NG master ninja mode, if you stop moving you're dead. No stop-and-pop gameplay, regenerating health and two weapon system that most modern FPS games have and that's good. Hopefully the sequel will move away from arena style gameplay and has patrolling monsters. But again what a game, definitely top 3 in my personal GOTY.

What a beautiful game. It sets out to do one thing and does that one thing remarkably well. Usually not a fan of first person shooters but I loved this game so much that I even completed an ultra-nightmare (ironman) run. It was some of the most fun and intense times I've had with an FPS, if not gaming in general.

It's the ninja gaiden of FPS games, with glory kills serving a similar function to OTs with the added function of giving your health back to promote a forward-pushing and aggressive playstyle even on ultra-nightmare. Similar to NG master ninja mode, if you stop moving you're dead. No stop-and-pop gameplay, regenerating health and two weapon system that most modern FPS games have and that's good. Hopefully the sequel will move away from arena style gameplay and has patrolling monsters. But again what a game, definitely top 3 in my personal GOTY.

Haha, this is exactly what I was trying to say, but you put it much more succinctly. Definitely what makes this game's gameplay so good.

Might be my GOTY. This was a game that knew exactly why I was there and what I wanted - and just kept delivering it to me. I don't even like first person shooters, but this game was so much fun.

xuchu

This fucking SOUNDTRACK. I love how the music ramps up while each successive wave appears. A true Infinite Climax. I hope in DOOM 2 they somehow figure out how to push this even further. I want to feel like I just orgasmed by the end of a fight.

Not only that, the music works really well in tandem with the moment-to-moment gamplay. Specifically, when the music cuts out/dulls briefly during glory kills to accentuate the action. Platinum games also does this well, for example in MGR in zandatsu mode and bayonetta with witch time.

Izuna

Banned
Interesting LTTP. It's essentially a review.

I really wished they went for a Quake SP because then it might have some freaking difficulty.

I got my money's worth, though. The one SnapMap is the best part of the game (Doom RPG by Cuddy1Cactus). Arcade Mode > Campaign, but sadly it was too easy after the first couple of stages to get Slayer medals.

Actually, Doom itself has that issue where the game is unchallenging once more weapons come in. The gameplay isn't revolutionary when it's merely Quake, but I suppose it's nice that more people get to try out this more classic genre.

Wolf >>>> Doom

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It's great alright but id kinda droped the ball in the last few levels. Totally felt like they ran out of time and just kinda glued the last few areas together.

Hope they improve here for the sequel.

Siegmeyer

Just wrapped up the Platinum myself a few days ago, binged on it with every available minute. I'm not really a shooter fan (last one I bought was probably MW3) but picked this up after seeing all the praise around GAF for it.

It really is phenomenal, my GOTY by a distance.

Shame about the patch size though, the game took up nearly 25% of my HDD.

Loved the game! Easily one of my favorites this year.

Though I've realized that any time I try to remember the music to it I end up thinking of something from the original Doom or Quake. The music fit well while playing, but it didn't stick with me for some reason.

Started the campaign yesterday and i'm having a f'n blast !!!

The graphics, hunting spooky music and gameplay are perfect ! It feels so good to play... yeah, i highly recommend the game.

Is the ps4 demo doing it justice I guess?

Played it, was cool, but already felt repetetive at the end. Still Believe I would enjoy it, never played anything directly similar

Some of the best visuals available running at 60fps, lots of graphical options on PS4, smooth and precise controls and great level design. It was an absolutely joy to play on the harder difficulties, especially on the later levels where the game really starts to test your skills. I actually enjoyed dying a few times before clearing certain areas because I got to learn the arena a little and have a bit more fun with it after the initial 'holy fuck I'm gonna die where do I go!' stage. Having to take into consideration enemy positions, enemy types and which to prioritize, while constantly moving and making jumps, grabbing ledges, switching weapons and their upgrades at the same time was a welcome change of pace for me after being so used to modern shooters and their generally cover-based gameplay. I hadn't been so challenged by an FPS in a long time. Easily one of the best games I've played this gen.

And that fucking soundtrack...

Anustart

Game was decent. I didn't have the orgasmic reaction the rest of gaf did, but I beat it.

The formula was tiring by the end of the game, and the constant massive updates made sure I uninstalled the game as I didn't need a 150gb game taking up space.

Izuna

Banned
Is the ps4 demo doing it justice I guess?

Played it, was cool, but already felt repetetive at the end. Still Believe I would enjoy it, never played anything directly similar

It's far more repetitive afterwards.

It peaks at like Mission 3 or 4

Top Bottom