• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: DOOM - THIS GAME IS SOOO GOOOD!!

It was a blast to play when I played it around launch. I may return back to do another campaign run eventually. Rip and Tear until it is done!!!!!

tumblr_o74bzwLrMh1qdvhtvo1_400.gif

My 2016 GOTY

tumblr_o74bzwLrMh1qdvhtvo1_400.gif

Some of the best visuals available running at 60fps, lots of graphical options on PS4, smooth and precise controls and great level design. It was an absolutely joy to play on the harder difficulties, especially on the later levels where the game really starts to test your skills. I actually enjoyed dying a few times before clearing certain areas because I got to learn the arena a little and have a bit more fun with it after the initial 'holy fuck I'm gonna die where do I go!' stage. Having to take into consideration enemy positions, enemy types and which to prioritize, while constantly moving and making jumps, grabbing ledges, switching weapons and their upgrades at the same time was a welcome change of pace for me after being so used to modern shooters and their generally cover-based gameplay. I hadn't been so challenged by an FPS in a long time. Easily one of the best games I've played this gen.

And that fucking soundtrack...

Yep, this post nicely encapsulates my views on the gameplay. Agree 150%!

Interesting LTTP. It's essentially a review.

Aha, funny you say that as someone else said that my LTTP for Red Dead Redemption that I did almost two weeks ago was a damn essay! :p

Manu

It's far more repetitive afterwards.

It peaks at like Mission 3 or 4

Not really? The game is still introducing weapons and enemies 2/3rds into the game, along with getting new upgrades the gameplay gets better all the time.

It's a fun game. I will never be able to get behind the praise for the story tho. Doom guys sporadic "sick of this shit" attitude where he just breaks stuff is amusing, but the rest of the story primarily being told through horribly dull exposition dumps where you're stuck in a room listening to a monotone character talk at you for 5 minutes, or is spread through super dry paragraphs upon paragraphs of tiny ass font in info logs. The stories delivery is totally incongruous with the whole "rip and tear" attitude the game has, and for something so often compared to Fury Road, it's like the opposite in terms of storytelling.

Core gameplay is fantastic though, level design is generally pretty good, it looks pretty great, but the over reliance on samey arenas with the same type of enemy waves gets stretched way too thin over the 10-15 hour campaign, especially once you've seen pretty much everything there is to see 60% of the way through.

What's good is very good though, and it's still one of the better games of the year. There's a lot of great stuff to build on and room for improvement in a sequel to iron out the kinks.

For my money, Titanfall 2 was the more engaging FPS campaign this year though, thanks to endlessly creative level/encounter design, brisk pacing, surprisingly great platforming and level gimmicks, more variety, a less intrusive and more engaging little action narratve, and it never wears out its welcome. Core combat and enemies might not be as tight as Doom, and it's not as polished, but it's a more satisfying whole.

For my money, Titanfall 2 was the more engaging FPS campaign this year though, thanks to endlessly creative level/encounter design, brisk pacing, surprisingly great platforming and level gimmicks, more variety, a less intrusive and more engaging little action narratve, and it never wears out its welcome. Core combat and enemies might not be as tight as Doom, and it's not as polished, but it's a more satisfying whole.

Not really? The game is still introducing weapons and enemies 2/3rds into the game, along with getting new upgrades the gameplay gets better all the time.

@Fancy Clown I definitely agree with what Manu said above. And even if the combat encounters were repetitive, like I said in the OP, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. DOOM isn't the type of game IMO that requires variety in level design like Titanfall 2, and so what it does, it does it so fantastically so I didn't mind that it kept throwing at me that fast-fluid-chaotic gameplay.

I can see why people think that it's repetitive, but I honestly didn't mind it. It was still fresh in my eyes, even by the end, just because it was so fun to do it never became a burden.

Also I disagree with what you said about the story since I never found the exposition all that long. And tbh, even if it did, because I was engaged I didn't mind. But I do appreciate what you're saying in regards to the dissonance at the start where he doesn't care to later on in the game when he listens to Samuel Hayden. But IMO I still think that part is necessary to progress the game even if it clashes with what was done at the very start.

But yeah, agree with your other sentiments. It's definitely not going to be everyone's GOTY lol. Thanks for the post.

Izuna

Banned

I meant to say the difficulty.

Though, I think that by Mission 4 you get the Double Shotgun and could have the Rocket Launcher right? Once you switch that out for Siege, that's basically game. Nothing else can touch you. Though tbh, I wish the increased air control was default (it did make the game trivial though).

~~~~

Arcade Mode, sadly, after the first mission was just Stun Bomb -> Explosive Shot over and over to get a good score.

xuchu

I meant to say the difficulty.

Though, I think that by Mission 4 you get the Double Shotgun and could have the Rocket Launcher right? Once you switch that out for Siege, that's basically game. Nothing else can touch you. Though tbh, I wish the increased air control was default (it did make the game trivial though).

~~~~

Arcade Mode, sadly, after the first mission was just Stun Bomb -> Explosive Shot over and over to get a good score.

I dunno man, I found that ultra-nightmare run pretty hard and also used the super-shotgun/gauss cannon combo. Maybe you're just that good at FPS games though.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
My GOTY. It was soooooo good. Biggest surprise of the year. I wasn't even expecting it to be good, let alone GOTY material.

Now port the game to Switch and give me portable DOOM, and my life will be complete.

Izuna

Banned
I dunno man, I found that ultra-nightmare run pretty hard and also used the super-shotgun/gauss cannon combo. Maybe you're just that good at FPS games though.

When I talk about difficulty, it's not that I want something that's necessarily a challenge for me, but the fact is that the game peaks in difficulty at the tutorial stage, and dips hard af after Mission 4 and just never picks up.

I found the Classic Doom stages extremely challenging (though, not really balanced haha). I wish they had better UI design and progress bars or smth.

xuchu

When I talk about difficulty, it's not that I want something that's necessarily a challenge for me, but the fact is that the game peaks in difficulty at the tutorial stage, and dips hard af after Mission 4 and just never picks up.

I found the Classic Doom stages extremely challenging (though, not really balanced haha). I wish they had better UI design and progress bars or smth.

Oh yeah, that tutorial imp room at nightmare difficulty and above is easily the hardest part of game due to lack of weapons and mobility options.

Yeah those classic doom stages are ridiculous and not balanced but enjoyed finding weapons throughout their levels and the different type of challenge than the main game.

ghibli99

I need to finish this. FF15 and TLG completely derailed my progress, but I was having an absolute blast with it. I wish the melee moves were more varied, but they never stop being satisfying for some reason. :)

Schmitty

I have been slowly moving through this game because of work -- maybe playing one level every other weekend or so, and it is so damn satisfying. I am hoping to get it done by the end of the year with the Christmas break.

The only bad thing about this game is playing another shooter immediately after. Last time, I hopped on BF1 with some friends after playing a level, and felt like I was moving at the pace of a snail haha.

BlueSteel

This was absolutely the most fun game I've played this year. In my quest to clear my backlog I rarely try to 100% any runthrough but this game was an exception.

I want more :(

Ixion

the rest of the story primarily being told through horribly dull exposition dumps where you're stuck in a room listening to a monotone character talk at you for 5 minutes

This happened about two or three times throughout the whole game.

or is spread through super dry paragraphs upon paragraphs of tiny ass font in info logs.

A lot of the info logs are not dry at all, but are actually really funny and witty. Besides, they're optional. They're only included for those who want to geek out.

The stories delivery is totally incongruous with the whole "rip and tear" attitude the game has, and for something so often compared to Fury Road, it's like the opposite in terms of storytelling.

You didn't mention the plethora of seamless, environmental storytelling in the game. Not only do we have Doomguy's behavior, but there's the UAC AI holograms and also the PA system that you overhear throughout the game. Those lore stones in Hell are also really badass. And again, most of the info logs did indeed further the game's self-aware tone.

WITHE1982

I only started Doom for the first time on Monday having picked it up new for £10 and I'm taking it quite slow. I'm not really a big fan of FPS games at all and much prefer slower paced explosion if I must go first person. Having said that there's something refreshing about the simplicity, speed and chaos of Doom. It's such a great game to switch off your brain and just kill things without having to worrying about your characters motivation and back-story.

I also really like how the collectables have been handled so far. The ability to re-trace your steps through a level after the bedlam of the gun-play is fantastic.

So far, so good for me.

edit: at 79GB it's taking up a hefty chunk of my HDD though.

DevilDog

Yeah tis all right. I like the exploration more than the combat though. Which is to say both are very good.

Unlocking double jumping+ air control is when the fun starts.

Astral Dog

It's a fun game. I will never be able to get behind the praise for the story tho. Doom guys sporadic "sick of this shit" attitude where he just breaks stuff is amusing, but the rest of the story primarily being told through horribly dull exposition dumps where you're stuck in a room listening to a monotone character talk at you for 5 minutes, or is spread through super dry paragraphs upon paragraphs of tiny ass font in info logs. The stories delivery is totally incongruous with the whole "rip and tear" attitude the game has, and for something so often compared to Fury Road, it's like the opposite in terms of storytelling.

Core gameplay is fantastic though, level design is generally pretty good, it looks pretty great, but the over reliance on samey arenas with the same type of enemy waves gets stretched way too thin over the 10-15 hour campaign, especially once you've seen pretty much everything there is to see 60% of the way through.

What's good is very good though, and it's still one of the better games of the year. There's a lot of great stuff to build on and room for improvement in a sequel to iron out the kinks.

Agree, the lore stuff and files is excellent, but beyond a couple scenes the actual story is mostly dull.

Exposition from Samuel, go there and destroy/activate switches,follow Olivia, go to hell, etc.

Facism

3 hours deep into the game, just completed Foundry last night. Sensational game, a great modern-day approximation of those oldschool quick and aggressive shooters.

The PS4 version is £16 on Shopto right now, too.

A lot of the info logs are not dry at all, but are actually really funny and witty. Besides, they're optional. They're only included for those who want to geek out.

You didn't mention the plethora of seamless, environmental storytelling in the game. Not only do we have Doomguy's behavior, but there's the UAC AI holograms and also the PA system that you overhear throughout the game. Those lore stones in Hell are also really badass. And again, most of the info logs did indeed further the game's self-aware tone.

Yep, this is what I was trying to get at. Especially the holograms which are basically more convenient ways to get some back story on the lore, if you can't be asked to read some of the story stuff on the codex on the menus, which is understandable.

Either way, I think you're missing out if you don't. There's some genuinely funny and deep stuff in there, lol.

Peltz

I really need to check this game out. It's been so long since I've played an FPS. I think my last one was Halo 4.

I'm going to give this game and Titanfall 2 a chance.

GOOCHY

Great game. I still haven't finished it because I can only take the frantic pace of the game in relatively short bursts. I'll get there someday. :)

Sami+

Dude I don't even know why I love it so much, I'm on Mission 3 and having a fucking blast. I don't even play shooters- hell, I don't even like shooters. Like at all. Literally every single highly rated one I see people recommend just doesn't do anything for me. I can barely make it through a single match of an online multiplayer one without getting bored of just dying over and over, and campaigns I usually have a bit of fun with but get bored about 3 hours in. Happened with the first two COD MW's, Killzone, and I think something else I'm forgetting the name of.

But for whatever reason this one just transcends the genre for me. It feels right. Movement is fun, the guns are all fun to use, every single fight is exhilarating, I love looking for secrets, the visuals are excellent, and the music... my god, the music. If it keeps it up I feel like it would be my GOTY if The Last Guardian hadn't just come out lol. It's SO GOOD.

Ixion

Agree, the lore stuff and files is excellent, but beyond a couple scenes the actual story is mostly dull.

Exposition from Samuel, go there and destroy/activate switches,follow Olivia, go to hell, etc.

The actual plot is definitely not special or prominent, and that's by design so as not to derail the main focus of the game. What DOOM does well regarding the storytelling is to enhance that main focus, which is self-aware badassness. Doomguy is basically the player within the game world, showing they just want to get on with shit and kill demons, the UAC is shown to be upfront and completely unpretentious about their craziness regarding the use of weaponizing demons, and
Doomguy is also established as an ancient, feared demon slayer so that his purpose is exactly aligned with why the player is playing DOOM

On top of all that, the self-aware storytelling is restrained. It's certainly there, but it's not completely over-the-top childish stuff. There's enough to enhance the experience instead of becoming another distraction.

Sephzilla

My favorite line in the game is still "Demonic presence at unsafe levels". Because it implies that UAC is so balls-deep into this shit that they've determined there's an acceptable level of demonic presence.

Fantastic game that I am nonetheless aggravated with for not being able to play at 144fps on my G-Sync monitor. That sucker locks at 60 no matter what I do. =(

After playing all of my other PC games at 100+ fps with G-Sync it's tough to come back down to 60.

In NVCP, set "Preferred refresh rate" to highest available in the Doom profile.

If you change the resolution after starting the game, it might revert back to 60Hz though.

harz-marz

Had this on PC and loved it! Sold PC and got a PS4 Pro... How populated is the online multiplayer? I loved this mode too!

Ixion

Had this on PC and loved it! Sold PC and got a PS4 Pro... How populated is the online multiplayer? I loved this mode too!

I think the updates and DLC packs definitely spiced up the multiplayer, along with using the Spotify app to play your own music (since the multiplayer has no music). The DLC maps are especially fantastic.

I play it quite a bit now on my PS4 and I don't have an issue finding players or anything, but most of the modes have been bunched up into variety playlists. You can only choose the following four playlists:

• Deathmatch
  • Team Deathmatch
  • Free-For-All Variety
  • Team Variety
So while there's a lot of interesting modes in the game, the only modes you can play exclusively are Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. The rest are bunched up in the variety playlists. I mostly just play Deathmatch though, since it's the most action-packed, straightforward mode.

harz-marz

I think the updates and DLC packs definitely spiced up the multiplayer, along with using the Spotify app to play your own music (since the multiplayer has no music). The DLC maps are especially fantastic.

I play it quite a bit now on my PS4 and I don't have an issue finding players or anything, but most of the modes have been bunched up into variety playlists. You can only choose the following four playlists:

• Deathmatch
  • Team Deathmatch
  • Free-For-All Variety
  • Team Variety
So while there's a lot of interesting modes in the game, the only modes you can play exclusively are Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. The rest are bunched up in the variety playlists. I mostly just play Deathmatch though, since it's the most action-packed, straightforward mode.

Hey thanks for this! I mostly played death match on PC so this suits me perfectly!

My favorite line in the game is still "Demonic presence at unsafe levels". Because it implies that UAC is so balls-deep into this shit that they've determined there's an acceptable level of demonic presence.

I missed a lot of the wry humor until I watched the NoClip. I've been bludgeoned to death by video game stories taking themselves so fucking seriously that I failed to catch the subtle humor.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
My jaw dropped on a number of occasions playing this game, where I would be in sheer disbelief of the intensity of combat encounters. So often I couldn't believe that I was alive, until I killed every enemy, and just sat there wondering how I did any of that. This is Close Calls: The Game, and it's a testament to talent behind the game to create such consistent scenarios.

Eldainorn

I know I touched upon the music before, but I'd like to include it as a separate section, just to emphasise how awesome it is. Not only as something to listen to, but how in-sync it is with the gameplay, and how it directly impacts the player in regards to pumping them up to kick some demon ass. Now I'm definitely not well informed about genres of music, or sub-genres, but this metal (or whatever type it is) definitely goes hand in hand with this game, both on a thematic level, but also gameplay level. It kind of anagolises the game neatly to be honest: everything fits into place quite nicely.

It's called djent. But they mixed it with techno. Check out band Meshuggah and thank me later OP. :p

I love it and the guy who composed it and giged at the game awards this year really killed it with this one.

Voras

Doom blew me away. I had no intention of picking it up based on the previews but once the rave reviews hit I had to try it. It was probably the best single player FPS campaign I've played since Half-Life. So good.

mcz117chief

It's not terrible but I didn't enjoy it very much either. Shadow Warrior 2 does everything better, except maybe story which is the best thing about Doom 4.

I liked the game a lot, but add me to the list of people who can't quite grasp why others think it's so great.
A lot of things it does differently that people praised it for didn't really impact me, despite a lot of people claiming it as the better alternative compared to fpses nowadays.
Fast movement is cool. I'll give it that. Soundtrack as well was exceptional.
But I didn't think having health pickups instead of regenerating health was that different considering that there are health packs littered all over the place.
Not putting importance on it's story didn't matter either. Id rather it have a more involved story with likable or at least somewhat interesting characters. The campaign wasn't anything special to me. This was a bit of a negative really. It wouldn't have changed how the game played if they made the campaign more story and character driven.
Level layout is whatever, but I admit I'm not very good at differentiating good fps levels from bad ones. It's all about just shooting shit to me.
It's a very fun game though. But it could stand to be better.

Started it last weekend only reason I stopped playing was to go to a wedding. I love to hate this game, every time I think a new enemy is the toughest in the game a new enemy appears. Plus this games audio mix is pure ecstasy.

xviper

can some one explain to me how anyone liked DOOM ?? i played the demo and it was boring as shit, gunplay is on bar with Left 4 Dead( the worst gunplay i have ever played) if you want to know how a gunplay should be made then go play Titanfall( best gunplay ever) or Destiny

i have watched several videos of the game and all you do is just keep killing wave after wave after wave, it's repetitive as fuck

so can someone tell me what people liked about DOOM ?

mcz117chief

so can someone tell me what people liked about DOOM ?

I kind of liked the story. You are right that the gameplay is somewhat generic and doesn't really stand out. I guess people just haven't played any decent FPSs and only decided to get this one because of the name and found a decent game that they instantly elevated simply for the fact that they haven't played anything else.

I wouldn't put this game in the top 10 for this year, not a chance. Both games you mentioned are vastly superior.

If you want to play the best FPS this year then get Shadow Warrior 2.

I dunno, maybe it only happens 3 times but every time it does it drags the game down. You can't even skip them, like a cutscene.

The logs and stuff are optional, but I think there's a better way of doing that sort of thing. Tons of tiny text on a TV screen ain't fun to go through. I think the Souls games handle that sort of storytelling a lot better, with super concice, enigmatic, and imo more cleverly written little blurbs that also let you get back into the game world faster.

I didn't mention the holograms and PA system because I didn't think they added much to the story, and I'm kind of over those sort of things as game mechanisms for storytelling. It feels clumsy and trite at this point, not particularly elegant. Like it's just obviously there for the player. I would have liked the Hell stones better if I could listen to them while moving around. Doom is like the last game where I want to stand around doing nothing with my character listening to something for upwards of 2-3 minutes. I think for the type of game Doom is they should have pushed much harder with environmental storytelling and depicting character through first person actions. Everything else slowed the game down, and for me wasn't nearly compelling enough to justfy taking myself out of the experience in order to learn more about the world and characters.

Manu

I kind of liked the story. You are right that the gameplay is somewhat generic and doesn't really stand out. I guess people just haven't played any decent FPSs and only decided to get this one because of the name and found a decent game that they instantly elevated simply for the fact that they haven't played anything else.
Don't you ever get tired of doing this on every single Doom thread.

It's like it physically hurts you that other people liked it more than you.

Top Bottom