• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with a Blade Runner like aesthetics?

BladeRunner_PC_Game_(Front_Cover).jpg

Is this game available anywhere? I always wanted to play it (even think I had bought it) when I was younger but my PC was never powerful enough to play.

Stiler

Is this game available anywhere? I always wanted to play it (even think I had bought it) when I was younger but my PC was never powerful enough to play.

Sadly like many gems of the past it's not available digitally anywhere. You can only buy the boxed version but those sell for like 60+ dollars.

Wish gog would get it.

PantsuJo

how would you even play this and policenauts on modern pcs?
Megadrive/SegaCD emulation works very well now.

I was the only one here screaming for HD editons of these when Kojima was still at Konami...
But it seems that the entire world forgot the history of Kojima before MGS, even Kojima himself :(

Now only emulation and/or retrogaming is possible.

DSix

Banned
sygXUy3.jpg

Only one mention of Perfect Dark, I am very disappointed GAF (and it's more than just the first stage).

Mr. Tibbs

Vic_Viper

Snatcher is the best cyberpunk video game ever made outside of Deus Ex.

Thank You Sumio! and yes Soul Hackers is a great Cyber Punk JRPG.

Snatcher (and Policenauts) run just fine still on modern PCs. Just played them both again early this year. 2 of my favorite Kojima games!

Edit: Btw, didnt mean that Policenauts was like Blade Runner. Just meant if Op or whoever likes Policenauts, they should check it out too since its similar gameplay wise.

Yeah, Snatcher is easily playable on modern computers via emulation. Shame it's so damned expensive.

Also might be worth mentioning that Kowloon's Gate (PSX) is getting a remake on PlayStation VR. Basically, Kowloon's Gate was set in the aforementioned "hell on earth" and just drips in the cyberpunk aesthetic. It was an incredibly atmospheric cyberpunk horror adventure game released only in Japan, so hopefully this remake will be available to all audiences this time.

VR version releasing May 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA-f_Fen3HE

https://arthands-vr.com/2016/11/20/kowloons-gate-vr-psvr-release-confirmed-for-japan/

Original PSX release:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TXGIWlJcnc

pa22word

Stay away from this trash fire.

It legit blows my mind Cage is still making games.

Like, omikron is probably his best put together effort and it's still painfully bad in a lot of ways. Back then it was interesting and quirky to the point I could understand wanting to see what he would do next, but every single one of his games following it just doubled down on the shit with absolutely zero self reflection.

pa22word

Why the FUCK does this not have a remaster yet?

With Blade Runner 2049 out next year it needs to happen. I'd pay like $40 for it, god damn loved this game as a kid.

I mean the game is titled BLADE RUNNER and developed by a studio that doesn't even exist anymore published by a publisher who doesn't exist anymore. Pretty easy to see why it's not been rereleased yet.

Fuck a remaster though. Just dump the OG out on gog and leave it be. The last thing we need is telltale coming along and butchering the thing. The only people I'd really trust out there to do it is probably wadjeteye, and the painful truth is they just don't have the cash to do it properly.

1upsuper

Snatcher
Va11 Hall-a
Policenauts
Shadowrun series

There are a number of PC-98 games with great cyberpunk aesthetics as well. That platform really lent itself to some amazing, moody pixel art.

StereoVsn

Why the FUCK does this not have a remaster yet?

With Blade Runner 2049 out next year it needs to happen. I'd pay like $40 for it, god damn loved this game as a kid.
All data and art has been lost when the studio shutdown.

Edit: Oh yeah and rights to the IP is a cluster and the company that kind of holds them is very unrealistic concerning profit/Devs costs.

heringer

Whelp, time to finally play Gemini Rue, which I bought ages ago.

Maybe it will put me in the mood for adventure games again.

Zushin

Just downloaded Gemini Rue, is it supposed to run at sub-native resolutions? The game won't launch unless it's in windowed mode either.

If you want to read about [Westwood's Blade Runner game] I also recommend this article on Dead End Thrills:
http://deadendthrills.com/future-imperfect-the-lost-art-of-westwoods-blade-runner/

Second this recommendation. Duncan Harris (Dead End Thrills) is a really insightful writer:
http://deadendthrills.com/future-imperfect-the-lost-art-of-westwoods-blade-runner/
Duncan Harris: "...Its vision of a near-future Los Angeles, a society pushed to the limits of architecture, industry, technology and population, remains a touchstone for designers whatever their trade. And as 2019 approaches looking nothing like it, it’s not relief that we feel but regret; we’ve got its problems of isolation, privatisation and the demise of the natural world, yet we’ve failed to invent the flying cars, sky-piercing towers and offworld colonies. No wonder our artists choose, with apparently endless enthusiasm, to build such futures for themselves... The following combines two Dead End Thrills features published in 2010... They return here as a single piece which, for the first time, includes the full set of production renders found in the garage of 3D artist David Austin as part of the feature’s research..."

Also highly recommend RagnarRox's interview with Louis Castle, the game's Art Director, Creative Director, and Technical Director (also Westwood co-founder): Blade Runner - Looking Back with Louis Castle (Westwood Studios) - RagnarRox
Remember Me

I thought Remember Me had some good blade runner bits. It really has a unique sci-fi setting with it's whole future Paris motif.

Remember Me

Remember Me

Remember Me and Deus EX. Get the Remember Me Artbook ASAP. Most gorgeous thing

The actual game doesn't come close to that concept art.

Depended on the location. Makes sense that the more affluent areas were clean whilst everyone else made do amongst the filth.

Depends on the levels. The slums are more grimdark.

Some screenshot galleries I can recommend: one / two / three / four / five / six / seven

Also recommend the 'Translating Concept Art into Game Environments' series, at FXGuide: Part A / Part B / Part C

The 'Lost Treasures of Gaming' interview with Jean-Maxime Moris might also be interesting, for fellow fans of the game: Episode 16: Remember Me

Dues Ex Human Revolution is fantastic. Its also somewhat newer than most of the recommendations, so you won't be jarred by graphics from the 90's...

Nokterian

Westwood had made the Legend of Kyrandia Series, Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore before doing Dune/C&C. They were a pretty diverse studio.

Oh man i totally forgot about those but overall Westwood was also one of my favorite studios a shame what happend to them.

Neocron is a F2P mmorpg/fps set in a cyberpunk dystopian world. Think it's 12 years old or around there. Used to be a pay to play, developers gave up the code and it's run by fans now but updates still happen.

There's a lot of content there, hacking, vehicles, player apartments, etc.

YoungOne

Thinking it about it there aren't that many games that use aesthetic I wonder why. You would think it would be an easy sell.

Top Bottom