• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with a Blade Runner like aesthetics?

mcz117chief

header.jpg

Always loved Rise of the Dragon. Still not on GOG unfortunately. Played the original DOS version, but I think there was a (censored) Sega CD version.

Rise_of_the_Dragon_Game_Cover.JPG

Trago

Since everyone has posted all the best games, be on the lookout for Cyberpunk 2077.

It's literally my most anticipated game at the moment. Open world cyberpunk by CDPR, which means the story/writing/characters and side quests will be at a level above many other big games.

Thraktor

Shit, why is there no GOG version :/

Louis Castle talked about this on a recent Designer Notes podcast, apparently the source code and original assets are gone, which makes re-releasing it very difficult. There seems to be a bit of work going on to get the game supported in ScummVM, though, so hopefully if that goes through they can use it for a re-release.

The podcast is a worthwhile listen for anyone interested in the history of Westwood Studios, including a decent bit of discussion on the development of Blade Runner. You can listen here.

With that new Blade Runner movie coming out, hopefully it gets that point-and-click adventure game on distribution services like GOG and Steam. Whoever owns the rights might want to capitalize on the hype.

thenexus6

Shame I could never get the Blade Runner game to run on my computer. I bought it earlier in the year and was excited to play it.

With that new Blade Runner movie coming out, hopefully it gets that point-and-click adventure game on distribution services like GOG and Steam. Whoever owns the rights might want to capitalize on the hype.

Lol, there is no chance of this happening. If it gets anything, it'll be the typical (nowadays) 3rd person narrative driven action game

Haha, you can't beat that first post! Shame it's a tricky game to get a hold of.

Maybe with the new movie out soon, EA will be able to renew the license to throw it up on Origin or GOG.

[EDIT -
Lol, there is no chance of this happening. If it gets anything, it'll be the typical (nowadays) 3rd person narrative driven action game
If System Shock 2 can happen (IP previously owned by a law firm) and Windjammers can happen (so much Japanese company insolvency and IP inheritance) and X-Wing / TIE Fighters can come to GOG, and Marvel vs Capcom 3 can get re-released...

...Blade Runner can absolutely happen. ]

Yeah, you're probably right. But there's been a lot of old games in recent years getting put on those services so I'm holding on to hope that it might happen with Blade Runner.

tuxfool

Banned
Louis Castle talked about this on a recent Designer Notes podcast, apparently the source code and original assets are gone, which makes re-releasing it very difficult. There seems to be a bit of work going on to get the game supported in ScummVM, though, so hopefully if that goes through they can use it for a re-release.

The podcast is a worthwhile listen for anyone interested in the history of Westwood Studios, including a decent bit of discussion on the development of Blade Runner. You can listen here.

If you want to read about the game I also recommend this article on Dead End Thrills:

http://deadendthrills.com/future-imperfect-the-lost-art-of-westwoods-blade-runner/

Senior Lurker

MS Informed
geminirue.png

Gemini Rue is about as close as it gets.

I loved Gemini Rue. Enjoyed how it focuses on a certain slice and takes it to the end.

shadowrun for snes the genesis one is ok but snes one is the best
syndicate old pc version the console ports are ok though

I loved both Shadowrun Games even if the Genesis one was my favorite of the two. Highly recommended.

And the new Shadowrun Returns games are sort of similar.

notacat

Just finished Deux Ex, mankind on ps4. First i'd ever played in the series. Surprisingly great, and a bit blade-runner-ish being cyberpunk.

Sad I didn't try this series before now.

FrankWza

Watching Blade Runner for the first time? I guess theyll be a lot of that since there's a sequel coming. I think ive watched it 25 times. Amazing blu ray.

Edit: Snatcher

Zushin

Thanks for the suggestions all. Question about Shadowrun, do you need to play any of the others before playing Dragonfall for story reasons?

dreamweb_covere1rm0.png

Amazing atmosphere but got mixed reviews back in the day.

Not sure how playable it is on modern machines. (guess should be fine under DOSBox)

Vic_Viper

snatcherbox.jpg

Snatcher is by far the best Blade Runner esc game ever. Give it a look Op, you won't regret it! Also check out Policenauts as its very similar.

Aside from Snatcher, MGS4 has a straight up chapter that is a huge Blade Runner call back.

Top Bottom