• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
prey17sysreqsqwbp4.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)*
Guru3D (English; 01/06/2017 build)
Overclock3D (English; launch build)*
Overclock3D (English; 11/05/2017 build)*
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)*
TechPowerUp (English; launch build)*

* The screen-space reflections setting wasn't functioning correctly when this data was collected.

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Skip the intro videos: Navigate to SteamApps\common\Prey, search for the video files listed here, and move them one-by-one. While a little convoluted, you avoid opening the "video" folder in its entirety and potentially spoiling yourself on late-game story details. (Credit to Tovarisc.)
Disable chromatic aberration, bloom, motion blur and/or sharpening: Open SteamApps\common\Prey\GameSDK\game.cfg and add r_ChromaticAberration = 0, r_HDRBloomRatio = 0, r_MotionBlur = 0, and/or r_Sharpening = 0. (Credit to Paragon and Tecnniqe.)
Enable supersampling: Open SteamApps\common\Prey\GameSDK\game.cfg and add r_Supersampling = x, where x is your desired factor. (Credit to SunBroDave.)
Note: The game multiplies each axis by the nominated value. E.g. A value of 2 on a 1080p display means the game is effectively running at 4K.
Enable free-form camera: Download the Prey version of the Injectable Generic Camera System. See the included readme for usage instructions. (Credit to OtisInf.)
Disable camera motion blur: Open SteamApps\common\Prey\GameSDK\game.cfg and add r_MotionBlurCameraMotionScale = 0.0. (Credit to Dictator93.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Monitor: Self-explanatory
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Display mode: Windows; Fullscreen; Borderless windowed
Vertical sync: Off/On
Brightness: Self-explanatory
Preset: Low; Medium; High; Very High

Object detail: Low; Medium; High; Very High
Shadow quality: Low; Medium; High; Very High
Texture quality: Low; Medium; High; Very High
Anisotropic filtering: 2x; 4x; 8x; 16x
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; SMAA 1x; SMAA 1Tx; SMAA 2Tx
Screen-space directional occlusion: Off; Half resolution; Full resolution
Screen-space reflections: Off; Half resolution; Full resolution
Horizontal field of view: 60 -> 120 in increments of 1

JaseC

To unlock the game early via VPN:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install F-Secure Freedome (no hard limits, but the trial period expires after five days), FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in Australia, New Zealand or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

VPN Gate is preferable, assuming there's a relevant server available.

Edit: No longer necessary.

The real test begins. Thanks to the brave people that bought this before any tests. (If it's directly from steam, I guess it's no biggie)

I already have the game preloaded, but the reason I pre ordered is because i have seen videos on youtube of the PC version running very smoothly. Granted I don't know the specs, but they were small channels and I doubt they had anything super fancy. I am tempted to try the VPN to unlock the game, but why do I have to change my password?

JaseC

I already have the game preloaded, but the reason I pre ordered is because i have seen videos on youtube of the PC version running very smoothly. Granted I don't know the specs, but they were small channels and I doubt they had anything super fancy. I am tempted to try the VPN to unlock the game, but why do I have to change my password?

The region change otherwise won't take. Merely changing your password doesn't impose any sort of penalty, but it's necessary to kill all active/lingering sessions you may have.

TheRed

Excited. This game looks really great, I'm ready to get immersed in another Arkane world after how much I loved Dishonored 2.

As for PC performance I'm sure my 1080 will do just fine so doubt my info will be that interesting. I'll check how 4k fares on it at least.

Sotha_Sil

Cant wait to play this game in a month (going overseas for work).

I expect 1080p/60fps will be attainable on my 480 4gb and 6600k with a few concessions (I never max everything, always trying to push high framerates). So far my rig hasn't let me down.

haveheart

Banned
To unlock the game early via VPN:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours).
3) Connect to a server in Australia, New Zealand or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

VPN Gate is preferable, assuming there's a relevant server available.

Do I have to remove the Steam Guard Athenticator first? When I want to change the pw Steam wants me to do that...

Truant

Looks like there's no HUD options (objective markers etc). That kinda sucks. I played Dishonored 2 without markers and it was a fantastic experience.

Tovarisc

Posted to OT, but...

Aaand game is broken :D

Game skips all dialogue segments and NPC's don't say anything even when they are supposed to.

JaseC

Graphics settings are now in the OP.

Do I have to remove the Steam Guard Athenticator first? When I want to change the pw Steam wants me to do that...

Nope. You can still receive Steam Guard codes while logged out of the app, which is as far as you need to go. Don't confuse changing your password with resetting it.

RandomHypnotica

Neo Member
Posted to OT, but...

Aaand game is broken :D

Game skips all dialogue segments and NPC's don't say anything even when they are supposed to.

Unfortunately, having the same issue as you.

The performance is fine at least, as far as I can tell, but this isn't exactly a good thing for a game to launch with...

Top Bottom