• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefront 2 Alpha Impressions

I think streamers and screenshoters have a lot more to worry about than a random forum poster answering questions which 70% of the time I'm sure are already public record

Right?

I am thoroughly enjoying the alpha. I won't stream it, I won't screenshot it, but I will talk about it because this username isn't tied to any accounts.

Silly people in this forum bending to EA's NDA....

prag16

Banned
I personally think the emergent gameplay that occurs from having vehicles on the map outweighs the occasional shitty room that you can always just jump out of.

Classifying what happens as a result of vehicles on the map as "emergent gameplay" sounds real nice. That's typically about as far as that goes.

This new system is looking promising.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
How is visibility? In the first one in some maps it was auto win for whoever side blended better with the environment. Empire always wins in hot rebels always win Endor, etc. That game had a million issues but that was the one that I hated the most

iFirez

Saw on reddit, list of possible Heroes datamined from Alpha:

Boba Fett
Han Solo
Leia
Luke
Bossk
Chewbacca
Darth Vader
Emperor
Grievous
Iden
Kylo Ren
Lando
Maul
Phasma
Rey
Yoda

There is a Jango Fett model but he's currently only used on the Slave I cockpit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/6kbfej/characters_found_in_swbf2_alpha_files/

Didn't they announce that Finn and Phasma were the first DLC characters coming out after release?

Many of these are also just heroes from the first game, which doesn't surprise me but I would have liked to see more prequel heroes.

Kibe

Neo Member
I really wish the whole crates and parts thing didn't exist, but oh well, EA doing it's thing.

Just the addition of classes is already a huge plus imo.

Stiler

Why the heck are they not making Obi Wan a hero, I mean come on! Yoda/Luke/Obi should come before Rey/Kylo.

Didn't they announce that Finn and Phasma were the first DLC characters coming out after release?

Many of these are also just heroes from the first game, which doesn't surprise me but I would have liked to see more prequel heroes.

Why the heck are they not making Obi Wan a hero, I mean come on! Yoda/Luke/Obi should come before Rey/Kylo.

I am not too worried about any missing characters, if that list is legit then there is will be plenty of characters at launch. Also, providing the game is successful, then I imagine most of the missing popular characters will end up being DLC at some point. I also kinda expect to see lots of alternate costumes which should be cool.

Ozorov

Yes Finn and Phasma in december.

Obi-Wan must be in the game, right?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
...That's 0 Republic heroes besides Yoda, yeah that's not going to work for me.

I mean, they'd all be Jedi anyway, which would be stretching that hero class way too thin after a certain point.

YEAH YEAH I KNOW THERE ARE FILONI CHARACTERS TOO

Boba Fett
Han Solo
Leia
Luke
Bossk
Chewbacca
Darth Vader
Emperor
Grievous
Iden
Kylo Ren
Lando
Maul
Phasma
Rey
Yoda

There is a Jango Fett model but he's currently only used on the Slave I cockpit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/6kbfej/characters_found_in_swbf2_alpha_files/

phasma lmao, she better get a bigger role in ep 8

also why'd they keep bossk but not greedo?

also we better get mace and obi-wan

And not every map in the new ones will be full of vehicles either. They are already doing a lot more by including air vehicles on ground maps, something the original Battlefront 2 didn't do.

Am I misunderstanding what you're saying? There were definitely air vehicles on ground maps in the original Battlefront games.

No Droidekas, and Clone Fighters instead of Naboo Forces are the two things that I don't like.

Where are those Droidekas!?

I don't think they've been ruled out. I can imagine them being a lot more fun to use than the Super Battle Droids (even with the wrist rockets)

I mean, they'd all be Jedi anyway, which would be stretching that hero class way too thin after a certain point.

YEAH YEAH I KNOW THERE ARE FILONI CHARACTERS TOO

Even ignoring Clone Wars (which they probably will), they could have a base customizable jedi hero with skins. Just give us a few force powers to choose from and like 5 skins (Kenobi, Anakin, Mace, Kit, and Plo) and that'd be it.

Boba Fett
Han Solo
Leia
Luke
Bossk
Chewbacca
Darth Vader
Emperor
Grievous
Iden
Kylo Ren
Lando
Maul
Phasma
Rey
Yoda

This is a pretty darn good starter list. Some strange omissions but that's most likely to really hype them up as they're eventually released. (Kenobi, Poe etc.) Despite not caring for them I am surprised that no Rogue One characters are there at launch if this is true.

They were on ground maps in the first Battlefront because of lack of space battles.
The original battlefront 2 did not have air vehicles on ground maps except for hoth is what SG-17 said. That is factually correct.

..ok? That's still a lot of goalpost moving and oddly specific arguments to try and claim that BF2 2017 is the first game in the series to have air vehicles on the maps.

..ok? That's still a lot of goalpost moving and oddly specific arguments to try and claim that BF2 2017 is the first game in the series to have air vehicles on the maps.

giphy.gif

No one was trying to claim that.

giphy.gif

No one was trying to claim that.
huh
And not every map in the new ones will be full of vehicles either. They are already doing a lot more by including air vehicles on ground maps, something the original Battlefront 2 didn't do.

Both battlefront 1 and 2 have air vehicles on ground maps but according to your criteria neither count bc BF1 didn't have space battles and BF2 only had speeders?

And even if the speeders didn't count it's weird to single out "oh the original battlefront 2 didn't do this" while ignoring that bf1 did lol.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Sounds promising. I really enjoy the first game. This is my #1 game of the holiday season, which is pretty rare for the genre as I'm more of a story/RPG/character guy. (And hey, there's a campaign. So, hype.)

huh

Both battlefront 1 and 2 have air vehicles on ground maps but according to your criteria neither count bc BF1 didn't have space battles and BF2 only had speeders?

And even if the speeders didn't count it's weird to single out "oh the original battlefront 2 didn't do this" while ignoring that bf1 did lol.
Battlefront 1 2004 had air vehicles. Battlefront 2 2005 did not (except Hoth). Battlefield 1 2015 had air vehicles and now Battlefront 2 2017 will have them too.

I'm saying that when people look back at Battlefront 2 2005 as some shining city on the hill they tend to forgot the stupid shit, rushed nature, and omissions and concessions that game made.

Voidwolf

Played a ton last night and will be putting in a lot more hours for sure. I'm really enjoying it so far, I loved the first game and this one seems a lot better. The gunplay feels tighter, more accurate and I feel there's a greater skill gap because of it. I have no problem coming out on top in most 1v1 or 1v2 situations in the first Battlefront but this one feels a bit harder. Sniping feels SO GOOD in this game, both with the snipers and the 3-shot burst rifle.

Maul is an absolute beast, the E3 footage had me worried about him being weak but I guess the players just weren't good or not trying/distracted by all the new stuff. The flight controls are also much better (rolling!), although dogfighting takes a lot longer now that they got rid of the lock on. Ship to ship combat seems to last forever unless your opponent just flies in a straight line, I'll definitely put more time into that aspect of the game in order to learn it though. Aerial/space combat is one of my favorite aspects of Star Wars and I can never get enough of it.

Dice's attention to detail is incredible (and the same can be said for the first game in that regard) the way Stormtroopers shuffled about when sprinting in BF1 was straight outta them rushing through the corridors of the Death Star in ANH and the clone's sprinting animation in this game looks like it was pulled right from RotS. Another thing that amazed me is the heavy clone trooper's DC-15A fire rate/animation looks like it was pulled right out of the scene where they unload on Aayla Secura during the purge scene in RotS. It's all these little things that make the Star Wars fan in me so excited when playing this game.

Things that worry me:

I like the new loadout system but not being able to change your weapon during or at least before a match starts is annoying. I get that it helps further encourage swapping classes throughout a game but at least let us modify our loadouts before the next match starts without having to leave the lobby. But this would cause it's own problems, people would waste too much time tinkering with their loadouts before a match and the game may be one-sided at the start. There are different ways to tackle this (force spawning at game start for example) but it'll never be perfect I guess.

Edit: I guess I complained a bit too early about this point. However, they didn't mention the weapons.

The third person camera. I wish it was just a bit farther, it's not that bad but would I like to be able to see more of my character model. I think it was just fine in the first game. And I don't get why special units don't have first person, hopefully they add that in later.

And lastly, the Jumptrooper... It's exhilarating to play but that rocket launcher is just too good. I've ran into several players already that jump in > rocket > jump out > hide until rocket is ready and start their reign of terror all over again. It's too good, trust me, I've used the same strategy myself. Something needs to be tweaked, be it cooldown, blast radius, or damage, I don't know but it can't stay the way it is.

The Flash

Banned
Have enjoyed what I've played so far. My concerns with "gameplay chaning" loot items were quickly elevated when I learned that they were just for different star cards. If DICE can keep a good balance on those then we shouldn't have that much of problem. Pretty similar to Halo 5 actually and that system is thankfully one of the more innocuous ones. Gameplay has definitely been improved from the first game which is a big plus. Graphics look great. Performance is kinda eh on my end but closed alpha and all that jazz so no biggie. Other than that the only thing that I legit have a problem with is that Super Battle Droids are a battle point class which sucks because they were my favorite in the original Battlefront 2. Hope to see Droidekas and Commando droids at some point as well.

Plasma

Banned
Why are so many assuming these are the only heroes? Same with those ignorant about the Battle point system that was shown with the gameplay debut?

Top Bottom