• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park Season 15 Thread Of Celebrity Meltdowns And Topical Comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

zomaha

ncsuDuncan said:
According to @SouthPark on twitter, Matt and Trey will be on The Daily Show tonight. I wonder if they'll talk about this last episode or if it will all be about their hugely successful broadway play.

They are brought in to promote something (probably the musical), but I can't imagine Stewart not asking them about it.

Trey and Matt on TDS said they're still loving South Park and seemed really enthused about it the next half of the season. Crisis averted. :)

Edit: beaten but who cares.

sruckus

IAmtheFMan said:
Trey and Matt on TDS said they're still loving South Park and seemed really enthused about it the next half of the season. Crisis averted. :)

Yep sigh of relief when they said that. Funny how we all immediately have to post to gaf ha.

DarkKyo

Xeke said:
South Park is a part of my life. I don't want it to end!
Same! Thank jebus its not about to end or anything. They did more or less say that the episode captured their feelings on the state of the show, though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
IAmtheFMan said:

Yeah, good interview, put my fears at rest.

If that's the case then I'm going with my theory that from now on there will be actual storylines and continuity through the series, they just want to shake things up.

Yeah, I'd be okay with longer storylines.

That interview on The Daily Show really makes me feel better. They obviously still had some of their feelings show in that last episode, but it's nice to see that they are just doing what they always have been, making it up as they go, and aren't planning to end it yet.

99hertz

Just saw their interview on the Daily Show. It was funny realizing that they know as much as us about the future episodes, with their writing days before it's aired thing.

Last episode felt like something out of the season 3 of Moral Orel. I really liked it.

Trent Strong said:
I'd like to see them radically change the show and take it in a completely new direction.

Same here, but honestly, the show gets better and better for me. The last episode felt like some avant-garde piece.

The president of the United States...

...is a DUCK?

*quaafaarttt*

The president is a duck! And the whole country... is going to the dogs!

*Frrrttppphhhh*

The President is a Duck. Or a Dog! Who cares? Coming June something.

*phhrtp*

Angry Fork

Full Metal Jacket said:
They need get to back to the crazy adventures that the kids get themselves into.
Trey/Matt said they don't like these episodes as much as the ones that just focus on the smaller kid stuff in South Park. They've said they like the episodes that are just about the kids at school or parental problems or something like that, more down to earth basically.

Amazing episode btw, loved the ending and I'd be interested in seeing if they can pull off an overarching season-long storyline next season, just to experiment. If not it's fine I still love watching the show but I want to see what they'd come up with with that in mind. Episodes like the cynicism one show how much I love the last 4-5 seasons of south park than the previous though. I cannot understand people who say seasons 1-4 were the best SP seasons, it just doesn't make any sense. If you go back everything is just so cheap in terms of writing and maturity. I know back then it was cool because it was fresh and new but I'm so glad they're still not doing that kind of stuff anymore.

Angry Fork said:
I cannot understand people who say seasons 1-4 were the best SP seasons, it just doesn't make any sense. If you go back everything is just so cheap in terms of writing and maturity. I know back then it was cool because it was fresh and new but I'm so glad they're still not doing that kind of stuff anymore.

I agree. I didn't mind the cheap look, but it felt like they didn't quite have their style of comedy down so it relied on too heavily trying to be "shocking". They didn't steer too far away from that, but they did manage to tweak it just enough to come up with something great.

Suairyu

Banned
Tkawsome said:
I agree. I didn't mind the cheap look, but it felt like they didn't quite have their style of comedy down so it relied on too heavily trying to be "shocking". They didn't steer too far away from that, but they did manage to tweak it just enough to come up with something great.
There's a certain charm to those early episodes that sort of stems from the cheap nature. Also, South Park felt more like this weird little town where anything strange and wonderful could happen. You don't get that feeling anymore, and most often when something 'big' happens it's done to a bombastic cinematic score which feels very un-South Park to me.

That said, I think seasons 7-8-9 were the peak, probably season 8 being my all time favourite. That season didn't have a single bad episode; almost every single one was a gem to be talked about forever. Recent seasons have had a lot more forgettable episodes, only occasionally hitting those season 7-8-9 highs.

Gvaz

Banned
I love that the first two episodes this season had star trek references.

The second one with funnybot was pretty much lifted straight from a star trek episode, at least the bot was.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Gvaz said:
I love that the first two episodes this season had star trek references.

The second one with funnybot was pretty much lifted straight from a star trek episode, at least the bot was.
Well visually the bot was a cross of a Dalek from Doctor Who and the inquisition droid from Star Wars Episode IV

Ridley327

SwiftSketcher said:
Watching Casa Bonita on comedy central, and wtf, it's in HD!? Have they done this with all the eps? My mind is blown.
Basically every episode outside of Cartman Gets an Anal Probe is going to be HD at some point, since they're all rendered on computers.

totowhoa

Banned
I guess the daily show already pretty much alleviated any worries about the show ending, but two more seasons of south park were just announced today. I only *just* now caught up with this seasons and was worried if they were going to be ending it in the fall until I saw the news on their site. Relief!

Ridley327 said:
Basically every episode outside of Cartman Gets an Anal Probe is going to be HD at some point, since they're all rendered on computers.
Are they going to take the beeps out of the early episodes? Surely the have the original audio...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
UltimaPooh said:
Hope it's not a mistake.

Don't want to end up like the Simpsons. I would prefer they end on a high note as other series that I have loved.

South Park has always been hit or miss. It's because they make up episodes just before they air. This spring they were already burnt out on their musical which they planned for years.

The Simpsons' quality went down because the writers of seasons 3-9 were gradually replaced. Trey Parker still writes South Park.

teh_pwn said:
The Simpsons' quality went down because the writers of seasons 3-9 were gradually replaced. Trey Parker still writes South Park.

He's not the only one, and even then people can get rusty and burnt out on the same thing.

Eh. I suppose South Park is open enough to allow them to do whatever they want creatively.

TreIII

Looking forward to seeing what happens with the opener. Actually resolve things or just act like "shit" didn't happen? :lol

CassSept

This Wednesday: Ass Burgers

Cartman finds a unique way of coping with Asperger's Syndrome. Even Kyle and Kenny are on board. Meanwhile, Stan can't seem to get his life back to normal no matter what he tries. Will anything ever be the same in South Park again?

Here's a preview clip.
Huh, Asperger's episode. Interesting.
They're not retconning the last episode too, I wonder where they will go on with Stan plotline. There hadn't been any sort of continuation between episodes like that that I can think of (well, except for Kenny being gone in Season 6). Might be interesting.

Clydefrog said:
Well I'll be damned - they're continuing the Stan plotline?
They better. Even though the storyline/approach is total shit, they should at least try to rectify the whole thing. God I hope South Park delivers this season, because they ended on their lowest low ever.

Souldriver said:
They better. Even though the storyline/approach is total shit, they should at least try to rectify the whole thing. God I hope South Park delivers this season, because they ended on their lowest low ever.

........no

Recon

Banned
Souldriver said:

I felt the complete opposite. That last episode was their most honest episode yet. I did think the shit metaphor was a bit overused, but thats SP's thing.

RBelong2Us said:
........no
It's my opinion, deal with it. Admitedly, I only count from season 4 and onwards, because the first seasons of SP are really crude, similar to early Simpsons season. But the "You're getting old" episode is probably my least favorite episode of South Park I can think off. I know hyperbolic "worst.episode.ever" shit is thrown around often on the internet. But I'm dead honest. I haven't watched it since its release. As with most of the last season. While normally I could rewatch SP episodes any day, anytime.

CassSept

Souldriver said:
It's my opinion, deal with it. Admitedly, I only count from season 4 and onwards, because the first seasons of SP are really crude, similar to early Simpsons season. But the "You're getting old" episode is probably my least favorite episode of South Park I can think off. I know hyperbolic "worst.episode.ever" shit is thrown around often on the internet. But I'm dead honest. I haven't watched it since its release. As with most of the last season. While normally I could rewatch SP episodes any day, anytime.
Have you watched 'A Million Little Fibers'?
(That's a serious question)

Feep

Banned
Souldriver said:
Hmmmm.

CassSept said:
Have you watched 'A Million Little Fibers'?
(That's a serious question)
Yeah, I have. And that's a stinker. And there are quite a few stinkers in the SP repertoire. And "You're getting old" is definitely one of them...just as "humancentipad" ... But "You're getting old" really made me think: okay, this series is dead*.

*But unlike, say the Simpsons, even if SP sucks most of the time I want them to continue the series. It's based so much on sarcasm and current events, that even if there are lots of stinkers, there's bound to be some episodes that really nail it.

Souldriver said:
Wow.

I mean, I respect your opinion, but lowest low? Could you explain this a bit?

For me personally comparing it to the rest of the series, it was pretty okay with the humor, but probably the most emotional South Park in it's run. Nothing even comes close to that ending, except maybe BFFs. Not that I watch SP for drama or anything, but the way it was written and executed while setting up tons of questions and opening up new plot territory for the series really caught me off guard. It was brilliant if just for those last three minutes. Everything in that season subtley hinted at the finale that was this episode in one way or another without directly saying it, and realizing all the hints culminate into this plot was pretty amazing. Best of all, (at least before we knew officially) this could have acted as the series finale, and it would have been perfect if not one of the best ever for an animated show. Seeing it as possible end to the show and the content involved made this ep not only funny but placed it at near tear-jerker levels (which sounds nuts for a SP ep, I know) IMO anyway.

Also, come on, the ep was worth it just for this. I was dying.

I mean what kind of criteria do you have exactly for a good SP ep? This had consistent gags, a plot with just the kids being kids, plus some character development and exploration to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom