• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park Season 15 Thread Of Celebrity Meltdowns And Topical Comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a great episode. It really came together at the end, they are right, South Park isn't shitty but its brilliance from a few seasons ago is dwindling. They should end it, end of an era. Makes me sad.

If the show continues along this vein, it'll be like the sudden turn Moral Orel S3 took from the previous episodes. And hopefully, like Moral Orel, those final episodes will be the series' best.

denomes

Leona Lewis said:
If the show continues along this vein, it'll be like the sudden turn Moral Orel S3 took from the previous episodes. And hopefully, like Moral Orel, those final episodes will be the series' best.

Just watched this and thought the exact same thing. What a great episode! I'm intrigued to see where this might lead.

Leona Lewis said:

South Park is great, but I don't think they're capable of getting as dark as that last season of Moral. I would love to see them try, but they would have to abandon all the jokes and ground things in some sort of reality to even have a chance.

Sometimes South Park does things like this and then completely ignores the ramifications of what they've done moving forward. This could be one of those times. I'm interested to see what will happen.

edit: yah, beaten of course.

Nekofrog

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
Sometimes South Park does things like this and then completely ignores the ramifications of what they've done moving forward. This could be one of those times. I'm interested to see what will happen.

edit: yah, beaten of course.

Years and years ago, they had a FANTASTIC opportunity to grow Cartman's character, when he falls in love with Wendy but ends up walking away sad.

Gvaz said:
15 seasons, I can't believe it.

Is there a blu-ray collection somewhere?

I will buy the shit out of that when released.

Is there an all emcopassing Simpsons box set as well?

Poor last episode in general but the cynical asshole stuff was scarily relevent to me.

I thought the fact he was at Starks Pond was a nod to the older seasons and made me think they may wrap it up.

Patryn

Gvaz said:
15 seasons, I can't believe it.

Is there a blu-ray collection somewhere?

If you really want to watch an episode, they're all free (barring the last four episodes) on SouthParkStudios.com.

Gvaz

Banned
Patryn said:
If you really want to watch an episode, they're all free (barring the last four episodes) on SouthParkStudios.com.
That's not really the same though. I'd like to have them all on a disk in 1080p :(

Rikyfree

Very hard hitting ep. I feel, as some here do as well, that the are setting up to have a series finale or at the very least, hand the reins to someone else (as if).

Yeah I'm starting to think this is their last season too. Oh well, hopefully these last 7 episodes aren't topical so they can have a full 4-6 months to think of ideas for them.

Rewatched it again today. I can't believe how heart wrenching that ending is. I shouldn't get choked up over a South Park episode. :(

whitehawk said:
Southparkstudios.com streams them at 1080p if that helps.
I think your internet strength might affect it. I get decent quality but it's super compressed. Definitely lower than the quality bluray would offer for sure.

Leona Lewis said:

That last season of Moral Orel is a punch to the gut.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Leona Lewis said:

you can only hope. as fucked up as they were, the last season was a defining moment. i honestly did not expect a good end from that.

Obviously I need to watch more than the three or so episodes of Moral Orel I've seen.

This was a really great but really sad episode. I take it either two ways:

1) They are tired of the show, and are preparing to end it

2) They are tired of the formula they have fallen into, and are going to start doing a continuing storyline from now on where things have actual ramifications, story arcs, etc.

Or possibly some combination of the two leading up to the finale.

I fucking died at the movie trailers, though.

Moral Orel is good but fairly formulaic until the Christmas episode, then season 2 is darker and more involved, until the astonishing "Nature" two-parter which leads into the absolutely devastating third season. It wasn't as subtle as I remembered it upon rewatching, but it's still brilliant, brilliant television and one of the finest cases of dramtically shifting tone that I've ever seen.

WordAssassin said:
Obviously I need to watch more than the three or so episodes of Moral Orel I've seen.

Moral Orel is alright season 1 through 2. The series turns in the season two, two part finale "Nature".

I think it's best to watch the series all the way through to get the characters established and then get it all wrecked with the final season. Imagine watching the Randy/Sharon split at the end of the episode without any back story. That's the difference I might go back and do a series re-watch.

DavieC726

Well the Book Of Mormon....for those of you who don't know is created by the creators of South Park won HUGE last night at the Tony Awards, so all signs would point to this being the last season of SP since Trey Parker and Matt Stone no longer need the income from SP when they have a successful broadway hit. I would love to see another movie though after the series ends.

Although I will admit, the last episode made me cry a little bit, even though I saw Stan's parents breaking up from Day 1

DavieC726 said:
Well the Book Of Mormon....for those of you who don't know is created by the creators of South Park won HUGE last night at the Tony Awards, so all signs would point to this being the last season of SP since Trey Parker and Matt Stone no longer need the income from SP when they have a successful broadway hit. I would love to see another movie though after the series ends.

Although I will admit, the last episode made me cry a little bit, even though I saw Stan's parents breaking up from Day 1

It's difficult to watch for people whose parents have had marriage troubles or divorced. I found it pretty difficult personally, and I could recognise a lot of myself in Stan, though I was about 13/14 when the world turned to shit.

I really identified with him being frozen out by his friends, I ended up leaving my school and went to sixth form college to start anew. It felt like the end of an era then and I suppose watching that episode brought back a lot of that stuff and now it feels like the end of South Park. D':

DavieC726 said:

? They signed a $75 million dollar extension for South Park back in '07 so they didn't need money from a broadway musical. But you know, being working, creative people, they made one anyway. Crazy line of thinking on their part, I know.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
DavieC726 said:

Unless these guys have really expensive hobbies, I don't think it's been about the money for several years now. They did they show because they liked doing it. Same sort of reason why Conan still does late night.

Recon

Banned
MorisUkunRasik said:
Moral Orel is alright season 1 through 2. The series turns in the season two, two part finale "Nature".

I think it's best to watch the series all the way through to get the characters established and then get it all wrecked with the final season. Imagine watching the Randy/Sharon split at the end of the episode without any back story. That's the difference I might go back and do a series re-watch.

Season 3 of Morel Orel is one of the most surreal things i have seen on TV. It went from a happy slightly raunchy show to something very dark and surreal. I love season 3, it was obvious Dino was going through some heavy shit when he made that.

MorisUkunRasik said:
That last season of Moral Orel is a punch to the gut.

A punch in the gut the show needed. I didn't care for the first two seasons at all and loved the hell out of the 3rd. It is rough though, episode like "Numb" and "Grounded" are still hard to watch.

DavieC726 said:

lol c'mon that was 15 years ago and they still haven't broken up yet. Day 1?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
BigNastyCurve said:
lol c'mon that was 15 years ago and they still haven't broken up yet. Day 1?

South Park already had an episode about divorce. Within the first few seasons, back when Stan's sister still showed up consistently.

Oh wow, just watched it. Really sad to see South Park go, but it does not come as a surprise to me, this has been the worst season so far and I think they know. So sad though.

Edit: I think the show basically ended when the mohammed scandal happened. It was over at that point.

schennmu said:
Oh wow, just watched it. Really sad to see South Park go, but it does not come as a surprise to me, this has been the worst season so far and I think they know. So sad though.

Edit: I think the show basically ended when the mohammed scandal happened. It was over at that point.

Pffft, after the first two or three episodes, this season had some of the best episodes in years.

Nuttycam

Banned
Every season gets the "worst season ever" label until the one after it starts. This season has had 2 poor eps so far (Centipad and Funnybot) the rest have been great.

Stupacabra said:
Moral Orel is good but fairly formulaic until the Christmas episode, then season 2 is darker and more involved, until the astonishing "Nature" two-parter which leads into the absolutely devastating third season. It wasn't as subtle as I remembered it upon rewatching, but it's still brilliant, brilliant television and one of the finest cases of dramtically shifting tone that I've ever seen.

But even in that season there were a few bright spots, and it ended on an upbeat note. We'll never know the true narrative for the whole story since they basically cut out an entire season.

I can't see SP going that route though, it's been too many years and for them to cram it all in to 7 episodes would just end up feeling rushed.

According to @SouthPark on twitter, Matt and Trey will be on The Daily Show tonight. I wonder if they'll talk about this last episode or if it will all be about their hugely successful broadway play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom