• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park Season 15 Thread Of Celebrity Meltdowns And Topical Comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
South Park has been riffing on popular culture since the second episode with Kathy Lee Gifford and body building supplements. The third episode was their take on the cheesy hollywood volcano movies (Dante's Peak) and had Patrick Duffy as a person's leg. Sure, for some of the episodes the pop culture references are more overtly obvious and involving to the story line than others, but the show has always been about references to or a take on something current or popular.

I'll miss it, but maybe it's time South Park ended. Trey and Matt are clearly burnt out on it and they'd probably rather work on other projects unencumbered by South Park. It's better to end now rather than go on become sonmething like the Simpsons. Get out while your ahead, "Simpsons didn't do it."

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Just watched it. It was really good. Never thought about how they would end South Park but I guess this will be it. Makes sense actually they did start this season really late compared to the past few years.

Funny though while watching it I kept thing holy shit I am a cynical asshole.

Arozay

It would have been a good series finale/2nd last episode.

I kinda hope they do wrap up South Park soon though, as said above, before it goes on to a Simpsons-like state. Plus it would give Matt & Trey more time to do other stuff and I'm a big fan of that.

TreIII

Even if it doesn't end, I could see big changes in store. Either of which could be nice to see, if pulled off well.

Clydefrog

Yeah, South Park should probably end... and if this is how they're going about it, then I'm really looking forward to the last half of the season.

Walshicus

Dechaios said:
They are tired of being so negative about everything, though. That's why Stan was labeled a "cynical asshole". What I was saying is maybe they wouldn't be so tired of producing the show if they hadn't gotten into a rut/formula of shitting on something pop-culture related every week. If they could do more original narrative-based episodes like Awesome-O or Super Fun Time, which are totally lacking in negativity and tired references, maybe they would see more value and life in continuing the show at this point. My guess is they ran out of steam and ideas.
Awesome-O had that whole Adam Sandler running gag though, didn't it?

"A derp a derp derp derp."

DarkKyo

Sir Fragula said:
Awesome-O had that whole Adam Sandler running gag though, didn't it?

"A derp a derp derp derp."
Yeah but I consider that to be a supplementary joke. The plot would have been fine without that gag being mentioned a couple times. Modern South Park on the other hand takes one joke and beats it to death with very little story to support it.

And the "derpa derpa derp" thing you're talking about is from the episode where they are trying to exorcise Kenny's soul from Cartman and they keep seeing the Rob Schneider trailers on the airplane.

Dechaios said:
Yeah but I consider that to be a supplementary joke. The plot would have been fine without that gag being mentioned a couple times. Modern South Park on the other hand takes one joke and beats it to death with very little story to support it.

And the "derpa derpa derp" thing you're talking about is from the episode where they are trying to exorcise Kenny's soul from Cartman and they keep seeing the Rob Schneider trailers on the airplane.
Derp originated with Mr. Derp who replaced chef in the cafeteria in the Succubus episode.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103374/mr-derp

Last nights South Park was one of my most favorite episodes ever. Really good episode.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Did anyone else just feel awful during all the poop segments? I remember feeling the same way during the Apple episode, I just cringed all the time. Uhh... I'm not getting too old for that am I? Then again I still think mr hankey is hilarious, the vast amounts of shit in here just seem disgusting for sake of being disgusting. And that ending? Why could I only think of that ctrlaltdel pregnant comic? Ugh. Remember how they handled Stan's parents divorcing back in the early seasons? Shit, what's with all the goddamn seriousness? Someone needs to start explaining to me what the goals of the writers are here, seriously. I don't get it

Yeah, didn't like this ep

R2D4

Banned
Teetris said:
Did anyone else just feel awful during all the poop segments? I remember feeling the same way during the Apple episodes, I just cringed all the time. Uhh... I'm not getting too old for that am I? Then again I still think mr hankey is hilarious, the vast amounts of shit in here just seem disgusting for sake of being disgusting. And that ending? Why could I only think of that ctrlaltdel pregnant comic? Ugh. Remember how they handled Stan's parents divorcing back in the early seasons? Shit, what's with all the goddamn seriousness? Someone needs to start explaining to me what the goals of the writers are here, seriously. I don't get it

Yeah, didn't like this ep

Try reading this thread and what other say about the episode.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
R2D4 said:
Try reading this thread and what other say about the episode.
So, they're trying to end the show? I'm guessing they want to have a closed ending. I could understand that probably, while I don't agree with the method.

What about the poop segments?

Blader

Teetris said:
So, they're trying to end the show? I'm guessing they want to have a closed ending. I could understand that probably, while I don't agree with the method.

What about the poop segments?

You said it yourself:

Uhh... I'm not getting too old for that am I?

That's the whole point of the ep.

Pezking

I think you guys are nuts.

This half-season was their best one in quite some time. It started slow, but the last five episodes were very good. So far, season 15 is a return to form after the last two seasons with many mediocre episodes.

Don't overanalyze this episode. Sometimes Matt and Trey make "South Park" very dark and depressing, just because they can. The ending of last night's episode reminded me very much of the final scene of "Stanley's Cup".

I expect the next episode to completely ignore what happened in the midseason finale.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
CassSept said:
(A Million Little Fibers, ugh)
I actually liked that episode. The absurdity of Orpah's own vagina and asshole commiting double suicide while in a standoff with the cops is palpable.

DarkKyo

Pezking said:
Don't overanalyze this episode. Sometimes Matt and Trey make "South Park" very dark and depressing, just because they can. The ending of last night's episode reminded me very much of the final scene of "Stanley's Cup".
That was a completely different kind of dark. When the creators are talking to the audience of the show it is so blatantly clear and the last 5 minutes of last night's story was so depressing there would be no way for it to be just some joke. They are able to get a lot of honesty through with the show when they need to and last night's was the best example of that I can remember. Add to that the decline of highly acclaimed episodes and their obvious reluctance to keep the show going and any long-time SP fan knows Matt and Trey are starting to wrap things up.

CassSept

"Stanley's Cup" was simply dark humor.

This episode's ending was as said something completely different. There was no humor in their argument or in the ending (well, maybe saving britches or something, but the actual argument, parent's separation, Stan being rejected by his friends is what I'm talking about). The fact is, this episode was actually about life and the last five minutes were actually about the show and it's direction. It was completely serious. Unless they are going to decide over summer to set it up for another Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut, they are simply showing the first signs of the show coming to and end. And the whole plot of getting old was simply reflective and about life itself. It was simply sad and shocking to see it in South Park.

I didn't feel this episode was about the show ending, more like them getting tired of that cartoon ending where everything is back to normal at the end of an episode no matter what happened.

I expect more big and permanent changes to come to South Park in the future and I'm looking forward to it to be honest.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Blader5489 said:
You said it yourself:

That's the whole point of the ep.
Right that was my first thought, but it contradicts with other things in the episode. It's not even about being a cynical bastard or growing up. I can't see how anyone would think the poop stuff was funny because there was absolutely zero wit or anything other funny related things in it. Like I said, I still like mr Hankey. If that actually was the point then they could've at least put some more thought and effort into it

Parts

Teetris said:
Right that was my first thought, but it contradicts with other things in the episode. It's not even about being a cynical bastard or growing up. I can't see how anyone would think the poop stuff was funny because there was absolutely zero wit or anything other funny related things in it. Like I said, I still like mr Hankey. If that actually was the point then they could've at least put some more thought and effort into it
It wasn't just humour, though. It was conveying the message of cynicism in an interesting way, while still keeping the tone of what you would expect from a South Park episode. I normally hate shit jokes (always disliked Mr Hanky episodes, funnily enough) but could sit through these as I understood that they were making them intentionally uncomfortable, and that was where the humour came from.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Did anyone else catch the alien in the background while Randy was performing for the second time at the bowling alley?

Beelzeboss said:
I didn't feel this episode was about the show ending, more like them getting tired of that cartoon ending where everything is back to normal at the end of an episode no matter what happened.

I expect more big and permanent changes to come to South Park in the future and I'm looking forward to it to be honest.

Didn't they already do that and fail?
Kenny being perma dead for a few episodes

Enco

I'm with teetris on this one. The shit stud was kinda overdone.

The more I think about this episode the more I hope it's temporary. Who seriously wants the boys to be split up and Stan and his family to have a crappy life? It's just not fun. I'm gonna be pissed if this depressive stuff continues.

xxracerxx

Enco said:
I'm with teetris on this one. The shit stud was kinda overdone.

The more I think about this episode the more I hope it's temporary. Who seriously wants the boys to be split up and Stan and his family to have a crappy life? It's just not fun. I'm gonna be pissed if this depressive stuff continues.
Single Randy is a comedy goldmine though.

bort

I was surprised at the use of Landslide. When the song started I thought it was going to be some parody or sound like shit.

Obviously this whole episode is a meta commentary on Trey and Matt and show itself, but I still don't see who Stan is supposed to represent. Clearly Stan will have some sort of revelation that will make him stop being a cynical asshole and make him able to enjoy things again, but I don't know what that revelation will be, or what it represents in the real world.

xxracerxx

Trent Strong said:
Obviously this whole episode is a meta commentary on Trey and Matt and show itself, but I still don't see who Stan is supposed to represent. Clearly Stan will have some sort of revelation that will make him stop being a cynical asshole and make him able to enjoy things again, but I don't know what that revelation will be, or what it represents in the real world.
This whole episode could be a commentary on fan's reactions to this season so far.

On one hand it seems like they totally will be ending the show at the end of this season. On the other hand, they said expressly in the episode "or will things just go back to normal next week, like nothing ever happened". That could imply that this episode, while meaningful, is not foreshadowing the end of the series. I guess we will find out when it returns. If the Sharon and Randy are still broken up then the show will be ending soon, and if it appears as if nothing happened I guess it'll go on longer.

"Looks like this whole thread is on the rag, eh mom?"

Really, how sad can a sequence be with a cafeteria full of turds, the sun made of shit, and a duck in a suit spitting shit? Jeez.

They just need to shake things up, like when they went to the 4th grade and had Ms. Chokesondick as a teacher. I'm looking forward to the second half of this season, especially the Randy episodes :)

- LOL at everyone having an ipod touch except Kenny's poor-ass using a shuffle.

- Kind of surprised that they retconned Stevie Nicks being a goat, lol. Also surprised that she let them use her song after they made her into a fucking goat, hahaha.

Vamphuntr

It was an ok episode. I'm not a fan of the crap joke that was overused. I liked it when they used it to show Stan/Randy change of taste but man in the end there was poop everywhere. Movie previews scene was definitely a highlight of the episode for me. I do think the episode foreshadows the end of South Park.

They now have about 6-7 episodes to wrap it up.

xxracerxx said:
This whole episode could be a commentary on fan's reactions to this season so far.

Yeah, they could be saying that the fans this season are being cynical assholes like Stan. Still, I think there's something more to this episode.

CassSept

bean breath said:
- Kind of surprised that they retconned Stevie Nicks being a goat, lol. Also surprised that she let them use her song after they made her into a fucking goat, hahaha.
This was the episode where they killed Osama Bin Laden too, yet he magically reappeared 9 years later
only to be killed again

Kenny's death was also used later for an overarching story where Cartman drunk his ashes thinking it was chocolate milk powder. Even in the episode where he died the ultimate punchline was that Cartman lifted the ban on stem cell research to clone his favourite pizza place. I can't remember of a single episode that ended as sad and depressing as this one.

Yeaaah, if this is gonna be their output from now on, I'd rather this episode was a message to us that they're gonna end the show.

I've loved South Park, but it does seem they've lost it. I want to hope it'll get better again on a consistent basis, but looking at my avatar I'm weary of saying "it'll get better again! Surely it must get better again!?".

Still, even if they are preparing the end of the series, I'm having doubts whether they're doing it in a way I'd like, going by the last minutes of this episode. Depressing stuff.

Xeke

Banned
Souldriver said:
Yeaaah, if this is gonna be their output from now on, I'd rather this episode was a message to us that they're gonna end the show.

I've loved South Park, but it does seem they've lost it. I want to hope it'll get better again on a consistent basis, but looking at my avatar I'm weary of saying "it'll get better again! Surely it must get better again!?".

Still, even if they are preparing the end of the series, I'm having doubts whether they're doing it in a way I'd like, going by the last minutes of this episode. Depressing stuff.

I'd like a ridiculous second South Park movie to end it all.

I was thinking about it, and the rest of the season will probably continue as normal but with only Kyle, Kenny and Cartman. Sans Stan and Randy, the show may very well hold it's own until the finale where they can wrap up any loose ends and address what will happen with everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom