• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park Season 15 Thread Of Celebrity Meltdowns And Topical Comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

Souldriver said:
Yeah, I have. And that's a stinker. And there are quite a few stinkers in the SP repertoire. And "You're getting old" is definitely one of them...just as "humancentipad" ... But "You're getting old" really made me think: okay, this series is dead*.

*But unlike, say the Simpsons, even if SP sucks most of the time I want them to continue the series. It's based so much on sarcasm and current events, that even if there are lots of stinkers, there's bound to be some episodes that really nail it.
I'd agree that without the twist 'You're Getting Old' would be a stinker, but because it happened I can't agree.

I especially cannot agree about "lowest low". It didn't sink to second half of Season 12 quality.

Tom_Cody

Holy shit, somehow I never saw "You're getting old". For some reason I thought at the time that the prior episode was the half-season finale. WTF?! Anyway, they will surely replay it tomorrow night.

CassSept said:
This Wednesday: Ass Burgers

Here's a preview clip.
Huh, Asperger's episode. Interesting.
They're not retconning the last episode too, I wonder where they will go on with Stan plotline. There hadn't been any sort of continuation between episodes like that that I can think of (well, except for Kenny being gone in Season 6). Might be interesting.

Wait a second, they're saying that Cartman has Aspergers? No fucking way in hell. There has to be something else going on there.

bachikarn

distantmantra said:
Wait a second, they're saying that Cartman has Aspergers? No fucking way in hell. There has to be something else going on there.

Did you watch the clip? From the clip, I'm pretty sure he doesn't.

bachikarn said:
Did you watch the clip? From the clip, I'm pretty sure he doesn't.

I'm at work, can't watch until I get home. I kind of figure he doesn't, although it could end up going after people who desperately want to label their kids as being on the spectrum.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
distantmantra said:
I think its going to be similar to Tourettes, where Cartman decides that he has it so he can get away with shit. The clip seems to be him trying to convince the doctor to diagnose him with it, but he thinks it actually means...well...ass burgers.

DarkKyo

CassSept said:
I'd agree that without the twist 'You're Getting Old' would be a stinker, but because it happened I can't agree.

I especially cannot agree about "lowest low". It didn't sink to second half of Season 12 quality.
Really? The lowest point of season 12 was the brittany spears episode and that was in the first half. From the second half of season 12 I like the episode "Ungroundable" and "Breast Cancer Show Ever" isn't too bad either. I thought season 13 had many more "meh" episodes than 12 did.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/matt-trey-goin-down-south-park-again-094405445.html
pretty good article
NEW YORK (AP) -- By some accounts, the world was created in six days.

On the other hand, it takes Matt Stone and Trey Parker seven of them to create a "South Park" episode. But then they get no day of rest before they start on the next episode.

As you're reading this, Matt and Trey and the "South Park" team are back from their midseason break in their 15th year and are under the gun. The episode they started from scratch last Thursday morning will be finished just hours before it's delivered to Comedy Central for the premiere on Wednesday at 10 p.m. EDT.

How do they do it? And why do it that way?

Not long ago, while in New York to bask in the triumph of their smash Broadway musical, "The Book of Mormon," Matt and Trey took a few minutes to look ahead to the seven episodes of "South Park" facing them this fall.

"Comedy Central would love it if we did the shows ahead of time," Matt said. "But we just don't work as well that way."

"Our best ones," said Trey, "are always the ones where we come in on Thursday with nothing, and we come up with something and we get this energy — 'Ah, that's funny! That's funny!' — and we roll with it. The other way, we overthink things too much."

"I like the process of getting really excited about an idea on Thursday or Friday," Matt said, "and then there's a whole drama to the week: We jump into it, then on Saturday we go, 'Hmmmm. I don't know about this idea.' And you start questioning it."

"But you don't have a choice," Trey interjected.

"You're trapped!" Matt agreed.

The process — propelled by sophisticated computer software, endearingly raw animation and an abundance of adrenaline — clearly works. After all these years, "South Park" has lost none of its edge, its scathing truthfulness or aversion to good manners. Nor has it lost the funniness with which it views the world through the eyes of Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman, four bratty, perpetually bundled-up youngsters in an unhinged Colorado cartoon town.

A few months ago, "South Park" marked its midseason break in an unsettling way: without the shrewdly heartwarming resolution with which most episodes end. Stan had celebrated his 10th birthday, at which point he was consumed by disgust at everything he loved as a 9-year-old. His favorite foods, music, games, friends — he saw them all as crap. Literally. Graphically. With the accompanying sounds of flatulence.

His maturing jadedness seemed echoed by the grown-ups in South Park.

"How much longer can we keep doing this?" Stan's mother asked his dad as they confronted their own lives. "Every week, it's kind of the same story in a different way, but it just keeps getting more and more ridiculous."

The episode ended as something of a cliffhanger.

Some "South Park" fans were alarmed. Viewed in a certain way, the episode seemed to denigrate "South Park" along with everything else. Were Matt and Trey feeling burned out, or, with the big-time, nine-Tonys-winning success of "The Book of Mormon," were they now dismissive of the little cable show that had made them rich and famous?

Goin' down to South Park, did they no longer hope to leave their woes behind?

"We weren't really in that dark of a place," insisted Trey. "But we were feeling those feelings of getting older, and getting a bit more cynical about things."

"We've been doing the show for 15 years," said Matt, "and I turned 40 this year. Trey's 40. That's a weird milestone. So in the episode, Stan's 10 and dealing with his mortality. It was a fun, safe way to talk about really scary (stuff)."

"And we decided to do it with no real ending," said Trey. "'South Park' always resets at the end. We thought, 'This time, let's DON'T reset.'"

Typically, each episode of the show, for all its focus on naughty behavior and potty humor, crystallizes into an overarching parable, with a cut-the-crap, commonsense sort of moral expressed by the kids that usually boils down to some version of "do the right thing."

But that's just a happy byproduct, said Matt and Trey. "South Park" isn't trying to preach.

"We definitely started a few episodes where we wanted to make some point about something that's making us mad," Matt said, "and I don't think those were good episodes. We like the process much better of like, 'Here's a cool story, and let's let the characters do what's funny.' By the end, the theme kind of reveals itself, and it's sometimes the opposite of what you kind of thought it was going to say."

"Because it's 'South Park,' we're championing the idea of not taking things so seriously," said Trey, "not being super-hardcore this way or super-hardcore that way. It's a comedy cartoon!"

"'South Park's main message is: 'We're all stupid, isn't that great!'" said Matt.

"Not, 'Hey, YOU'RE all stupid," said Trey, "but, 'Hey, WE'RE all stupid.'"

"We're the STUPIDIST!" chimed in Matt, meaning Trey and himself.

"We're by FAR the stupidest," Trey laughed.

Now older and wiser like his partner, Matt laughed, too, as he reiterated the lasting "South Park" formula: "'We're all stupid.' And farts."

B.K.

I wonder how long it'll take for everything to go back to normal. It would be interesting if Stan's arc lasted this entire half season.

MIMIC

Banned
Holy shit, South Park is on FOUR different channels right now:

9:30 PM EST

MTV2 - "AWESOM-O"
VH1 - "Trapped in the Closest"
VH1 Classic - "Timmy 2000"
Comedy Central - "You're Getting Old"

When did they start censoring certain scenes in South Park? In "The Passion of the Jew" episode where Mel Gibson wipes shit on the wall and then shits on Cartman, they took those two bits out and in the dog whisperer episode where the nanny is eating her shit and screaming "it's from hell!" they cut that part out too. I'm watched it on Comedy Central and just kinda noticed it, is it because they are showing it in a different time slot?

DarkKyo

CaptainCamerica said:
When did they start censoring certain scenes in South Park? In "The Passion of the Jew" episode where Mel Gibson wipes shit on the wall and then shits on Cartman, they took those two bits out and in the dog whisperer episode where the nanny is eating her shit and screaming "it's from hell!" they cut that part out too. I'm watched it on Comedy Central and just kinda noticed it, is it because they are showing it in a different time slot?
They also edited people pooping out their mouths in the episode where all the adults become atheists.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
As someone who works with kids with autism spectrum disorders including aspergers, I think this is fucking hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom