• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzare

If by "the rest" you mean swiping your finger all over the screen to "dust off" artifacts (gets old fast), watching cut scenes, and walking/jumping around, sure. :p This is like saying "Gears Of War has shitty controls, but everything else is great!"

All they have to do is patch the game. This is something that should be able to be fixed pretty easily.

It looks fantastic for a new portable launch title. And I don't care. I don't play games for their graphics.

i play games for a number of things, and vita's appeal, one of them is graphics, so i am happy that this game delivers, that is great news for me.
as for controls, only issue seems aiming, and not for everyone, so i'll be on the positive side untill i have the game :p (and hoping that there's a demo at launch, i'll be able to test before buy too )

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Lack of precision. I've adjusted the sensitivity up and down, and it never feels "right." It's much slower and clunkier than it should be. I don't have any games with shooting to compare it to, but haven't had a problem using the analog sticks for movement/camera in Dynasty Warriors, the Gravity Rush demo, etc. It has to be the game. Even something like Peace Walker, with its face button aiming system on PSP, feels 100 times better.

I don't care about graphics and story when the controls are garbage. It's a shame, too, because the touch screen features used for platforming are great.

That applies to a lot of Vita titles, lol.

You shouldn't be saying this about a game you have yet to play. I can't judge how the game compares to the console UC games yet, because I've only played the first couple of chapters. It's the firefights that have put me off...everything else seems fine.

It shouldn't take hours to get used to aiming. And I don't want to use the gyro feature. I want to use the analog sticks.

I get what you are saying. The stick aiming is not perfect, far from it. I can't find a perfect setting with the slides as the precision is not there. Too much acceleration happens way too easily. I think Bend focused totally on Motion Aiming ON and it shows. It is really perfect once you brain learns it in association with sticks. Now, I know you want to use the sticks, but even with a perfect stick configuration, I would still argue that motion assisted aiming would still beat it in mid to far range shooting. Close quarters is where the stick would rule as the precision range for motion is limited.

In you replies you stated that you have played only a few chapters, so your experience is still somewhat small. On my first playthrough on Normal I had 270 kills without dying using Motion Aiming. Now, on my second playthrough on Hard I got 240 kills without dying. I would prefer a control method where the sticks would be smoother, but nothing should be done for the motion assist.

I beg of you or2, please turn on motion controls and get used to them. They really make the game way more fun to play, and I would think after you learn them, you never want a shooting game without. Give them a chance my good man! Pleeeease. Edit: There are existing and perfectly working controls. You just refuse to use them for some strange reason. Come on man. Try, just for my amusement.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
i play games for a number of things, and vita's appeal, one of them is graphics, so i am happy that this game delivers, that is great news for me.

I edited my post before you replied:

Me said:
It looks fantastic for a new portable launch title. And I don't care in this case. I don't just play games for their graphics.

as for controls, only issue seems aiming, and not for everyone,

LOL, what does that even mean? This isn't a matter of "taste." The game has aiming problems.

so i'll be on the positive side untill i have the game :p (and hoping that there's a demo at launch, i'll be able to test before buy too )

Japan already has a demo up. I would highly recommend trying before you buy (unless something is done before the U.S. launch).

You come off as if you can't accept that this game has flaws and are turning a blind eye to a huge, glaring problem with Golden Abyss. Controls are big deal.

tzare

I edited my post before you replied:

LOL, what does that even mean? This isn't a matter of "taste." The game has aiming problems.

Japan already has a demo up. I would highly recommend trying before you buy (unless something is done before the U.S. launch).

You come off as if you can't accept that this game has flaws and are turning a blind eye to a huge, glaring problem with Golden Abyss. Controls are big deal.

if no demo is available on euroland launch i'll first log to my jap psn account and try it, for sure.
As for the aiming issue and the matter of taste, in this very thread some people seem to enjoy the game with the motion control assist options, so that is how i will play the game. Not pretending to say it does not have its flaws, and maybe aiming is one of them, only using sticks that is. Just that some seem to enjoy the game and i hope i do to.
However i amb buying fifa first so i'll have time to check if uncharted delivers anyway :p

Massa

Count me on the camp that doesn't want to use motion controls to be able to aim with the right analog stick. I'm already not likely to buy Uncharted based on the price, but if this issue isn't patched for the US release then that seals the deal.

patsu

These Vita articles are getting dumber by the second.

Tomorrow, i'm going to have some fun with these people.

If you look at the latest MediaCreate sales for PSP and Vita, it looks like Sony can and intend to keep both systems running. They make money from both at the same time, likely more from PSP.

If you look at the latest numbers for DS and 3DS, it looks like the latter has completely cannibalized the former due to the price drop.

If you look at the latest MediaCreate sales for PSP and Vita, it looks like Sony can and intend to keep both systems running. They make money from both at the same time, likely more from PSP.

If you look at the latest numbers for DS and 3DS, it looks like the latter has completely cannibalized the former due to the price drop.

Is it true that they make money on Vita hardware?

patsu

Is it true that they make money on Vita hardware?

We have mixed reports from 2 Sony execs on the basic hardware, but people don't just buy Vita hardware. They also bought memory card, carrying case, and games.

The PSP income will help feed Sony too, even if some people just buy the basic Vita hardware.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If by "the rest" you mean swiping your finger all over the screen to "dust off" artifacts (gets old fast), watching cut scenes, and walking/jumping around, sure. :p This is like saying "Gears Of War has shitty controls, but everything else is great!"

All they have to do is patch the game. This is something that should be able to be fixed pretty easily.

Have you played an uncharted game before?

seriously though, I do sometimes feel like the aiming is a little digital - the sticks don't seem to provide much variance between moving slowly and moving really quickly. But I'm happy to use the gyros to fine tune that which mitigates it for me. You don't so will have more of an issue. Maybe Bend expected people to use the gyro to help with aiming, which is a bit presumptuous.

Argyle

5-6 hours? Isn't that nearly the duration of the game?

As was already posted, it is an 8-10 hour game. Subjectively it didn't start to feel good until about 2/3rds of the way through, but I was playing on completely default settings for the first few hours and was just as frustrated as Lyte. Then I started playing with the settings in the option menu and I think I got used to it faster once the sensitivity was increased (because the right stick aiming is so inaccurate - I haven't played in a few days but my impression is that it accelerates to full speed very quickly and does not have any sort of "stickiness" when you get it close to enemies) so I didn't have to get the reticle as close with the right stick before switching to motion aiming.

In the end, after beating the game and getting used to it, I have to agree with the folks who say that it probably works better overall than the traditional right stick aiming. It can be a bit more tricky to move and shoot, though.

mr_toa

Here's one I use atm.

AiZv2bTCIAAJnaY.jpg_large.jpeg

Sweet! Now that's a game I would like to see a sequel on for the Vita - perfect game for a handheld of the PSV's capacities IMHO.

Lyte Edge

I get what you are saying. The stick aiming is not perfect, far from it. I can't find a perfect setting with the slides as the precision is not there. Too much acceleration happens way too easily.

Uh-oh.

I think Bend focused totally on Motion Aiming ON and it shows. It is really perfect once you brain learns it in association with sticks. Now, I know you want to use the sticks, but even with a perfect stick configuration, I would still argue that motion assisted aiming would still beat it in mid to far range shooting. Close quarters is where the stick would rule as the precision range for motion is limited.

In you replies you stated that you have played only a few chapters, so your experience is still somewhat small. On my first playthrough on Normal I had 270 kills without dying using Motion Aiming. Now, on my second playthrough on Hard I got 240 kills without dying. I would prefer a control method where the sticks would be smoother, but nothing should be done for the motion assist.

I'm not interested in motion aiming controls, but I will give it a try.

Regardless, the analog stick aiming controls should not be this bad. There is no excuse for it.

I beg of you or2, please turn on motion controls and get used to them. They really make the game way more fun to play, and I would think after you learn them, you never want a shooting game without. Give them a chance my good man! Pleeeease.

I don't get that bolded part.

Have you played an uncharted game before?

seriously though, I do sometimes feel like the aiming is a little digital - the sticks don't seem to provide much variance between moving slowly and moving really quickly. But I'm happy to use the gyros to fine tune that which mitigates it for me. You don't so will have more of an issue. Maybe Bend expected people to use the gyro to help with aiming, which is a bit presumptuous.

Yeah dude...I said earlier that even with its problems, I didn't have trouble with Uncharted 3.

dofry

I'm not interested in motion aiming controls, but I will give it a try.

I don't get that bolded part.

Thank you. Give it a good and long try.

The bolded part is a bowing person from the side. or2 or orz.

Now to sleep as it's soon morning. My head is still in holiday mode.

krumble

So 3rd week of sales and vita sales still dropping
I think Sony miscalculated on the 3G version, produced too many and left the wifi version short shipped

I have the wifi unit. Never considered 3G

iPad, wifi also..
Nearly everyone I know that has iPad has wifi rather than 3G
And those rare ones that did get the 3G never use it especially as 3G in cemtral London sucks, it's quicker and easier to goto Starbucks !

patsu

All the consoles, including 3DS, fell compared to last week.

You'll need to account for the perhaps typical seasonal drop, before judging Vita's number specifically.

No new software or ideas has been released last week. I think the numbers will most likely reflect standard drop off patterns. Stock out may be there but Sony said they have the capacity to meet demand.

So 3rd week of sales and vita sales still dropping
I think Sony miscalculated on the 3G version, produced too many and left the wifi version short shipped
They probably shipped more 3G due to larger profit margins in the unit (I sort of doubt adding 3G costs $50 or more.

Play asia is listing Lost Planet 2 Vita
http://www.play-asia.com/Lost_Planet_2/paOS-13-71-1ab-49-jp-70-4a0e.html

SamBishop said back in September that LP, RE and more Capcom properties were in development for Vita. I guess soon we'll see if there was any truth in what he said.

This is a bad joke.

Ey, we keep out Monster Hunter from Vita. But don't worry, guys, we'll give you Lost Planet 2, you know, that game that is so bad that bailed out the only few interested in the franchise.

Durante

Lost Planet 2 is actually a really great game. One of the few true skill-based co-op campaigns out there. But I wouldn't want to play it with anything other than a mouse.

Kambing

Decided to check out Near for the first time today and found out that Greg Miller(from IGN) must have been at union square 1-3 days ago, lol. Shits pretty cool man. According to near, there was a total of 10 people carrying Vita's in Union square(within a 1-2km radius of me). Was able to see what they were up too etc etc. Pretty cool indeed.

Re: Aiming in Uncharted --

I am at chapter 9 and have gotten "used" to the aiming. It is true that using the gyro to fine tune the aiming does help and work. However, i can't see how anyone could argue that, strictly using the right analog stick, aiming is good. When compared to UC3 post-patch and Gears 3, liking the current way of aiming just means you have a preference for input lag + unnatural reticule acceleration IMO. I still just use the damn aim assist lol. Surprisingly using the sniper feels pretty damn good though. Surprised that the game has something like 40+ chapters(?). Good bang for buck. Given the fact that this is a LAUNCH title, it is pretty damn good sans the aiming. Can't wait to see the next iteration of games on the Vita, hoping for a UC1 to UC2 jump. Really recommend this as a launch title.

It really sucks that i can't buy games on the PS Store yet -_-. Can anyone recommend any other game to pick up that is fully in english if any?

Takao

Banned

SamBishop said back in September that LP, RE and more Capcom properties were in development for Vita. I guess soon we'll see if there was any truth in what he said.

EDIT

They also list "Yakuza" Vita so I don't know if these listings are old and were put on the database after the PS Meeting 2011 demos

I'm pretty sure they just put up stuff they saw at the meeting. There's listings for a Metal Gear game as well, and the only thing Konami's listed is the HD Edition.

Purexed

Banned
Managed to get my hands on a PSV through a local guy selling one in the area for $350, which I considered a good deal.

Call it redundant, but I can't get over how nice that 5" OLED screen is. It's so rich and dense and makes me eager to get a big flat screen version of it to put on my wall. The system looks heavy, but it's surprisingly light without feeling brittle like some of the latter PSP redesigns felt. The face buttons are a bit small for my taste, but the ergonomics are much better than the PSP Go and even the 3DS.

Right now I'm stuck playing around with system applications and menus until my memory card and games arrive, but I really like the PS Network integration so far. The design is very good and I like how snappy and responsive the menus are. I can view trophies for myself and my friends, and again, it's very snappy. Can't remember seeing such a polished UI on a brand new device.

Without playing any real games yet, I'm very satisfied with the hardware from an initial hands on perspective. Can't wait to check out battery life tests and how strong the dual analogs perform in practice.

Jonnyram

So let's talk about how soul crushing the Legacy Golf Links courses are on Silver challenges in MinGol.
I just got to the last hole, was in 1st place, got a bogey on the last hole and ended up in 3rd as two other guys birdied it :( +3 overall, which was by far my best performance on this MFing course.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If any other Vita importers need JPSN card codes and don't feel like dealing with those shady sites, just let me know. Just did a conbini run for a 5000 yen card for Paz.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So let's talk about how soul crushing the Legacy Golf Links courses are on Silver challenges in MinGol.
I just got to the last hole, was in 1st place, got a bogey on the last hole and ended up in 3rd as two other guys birdied it :( +3 overall, which was by far my best performance on this MFing course.

Haven't played for years, so still having trouble with bronze courses. Just put your guard down for a second and you end up with a lie that you just lose 3/4 shots from.

I considered going back to do some of the crown challenges, but even the first one (1:1) was quite tricky. Getting 2000 points before your win bonus means birdying almost every hole and fairway shots. Took me a few goes. 1:2 needs a rising shot which I haven't pulled off yet, and 1:3 needs me to one-shot the green on a par 4. Do these need me to come back with stronger characters? I can still only hit 230y with my starting character, and none of the ones I've unlocked seem much different. Do I get more power with clubs/balls etc, or do I need to change characters later on?

Jonnyram

You'll need big air balls and big air clubs at level 3 at least. Dunno about the specific character power levels though. I still only have level 2 at the most.

Lyte Edge

Tried Uncharted Golden Abyss with motion aiming enabled last night. Dofry is right-- it's much, much, MUCH more playable this way. I can use the right analog stick to look in the general direction I need to, then use motion aiming to make precise (head) shots. So despite not being a fan of this type of control, I am definitely going to play the game this way.

That said, there is still no excuse for the horrible analog aiming controls.

Haven't played for years, so still having trouble with bronze courses. Just put your guard down for a second and you end up with a lie that you just lose 3/4 shots from.

I considered going back to do some of the crown challenges, but even the first one (1:1) was quite tricky. Getting 2000 points before your win bonus means birdying almost every hole and fairway shots. Took me a few goes. 1:2 needs a rising shot which I haven't pulled off yet, and 1:3 needs me to one-shot the green on a par 4. Do these need me to come back with stronger characters? I can still only hit 230y with my starting character, and none of the ones I've unlocked seem much different. Do I get more power with clubs/balls etc, or do I need to change characters later on?

Without looking at the game, it sounds like 1:3 will be out of your reach until you get a stronger character. Some of the Par 4's in EG2 on the PSP can be reached in a single drive but you needed lots of power and a little luck (the ball runs faster off the green from a tee shot).

1:2 should be OK if you're good at rising shots. Might be better to get really close to the green edge though.

All in all, it sounds like I'm going to enjoy it :)

Defuser

EDIT

They also list "Yakuza" Vita so I don't know if these listings are old and were put on the database after the PS Meeting 2011 demos

They can't give Vita Monster Hunter so they had to give the closest thing. Lost Planet : Monster Hunter with guns lol.

$h@d0w

Tried Uncharted Golden Abyss with motion aiming enabled last night. Dofry is right-- it's much, much, MUCH more playable this way. I can use the right analog stick to look in the general direction I need to, then use motion aiming to make precise (head) shots. So despite not being a fan of this type of control, I am definitely going to play the game this way.

For me, Uncharted was no way 'horrible' in terms of control.

It controlled extremely competently and I had fun hitting over 500 headshots and getting the platinum trophy.

DCharlie

Banned
as per Jonnyram , on silver course in Mingol and there's been a couple of times i've been in a situation where the next -hop- to the next playable surface is a shot into headwind that simply isn't possible

Vita smashing levels of annoying

dofry

Hello GAF from a drunken man from an izakaya night out! Thank you Lyte for trying and writing here about it! Yes, no excuse for the stick controls sucking ass compared to motion based aiming. Sticks need tweaking, motion does not. I wonder if Bend will tweak stick aiming in the update, or just offer some nice extra content?

(I friggin hate cold japanese apartments and my noisy air conditioner.)

dofry

I am pulling my hear out from my head because of the difficulty curve in Minna no Gold, Katamari has been a bit boring so far, and my impulse buy of Little Deviants is repeating itself, so I that is why I came back to Uncharted which is still solid.

However, I love some of the minigames in Little deviants as they are clever and use the Vita features well. The AR shooting of space ships is nice, and the air balloon thing had nice ideas such as plucking the holes in the balloon with fingers while trying to hit the birds that try to make more holes, while trying to maintain altitude. Pacman with tilt got old fast for me, but the demo level where you raise the terrains to move the "deviant" were still good after a while.

I need to learn the spins in Mingol so I can advance. Currently, people look me funny when I make a bogey while on train. Love it and hate it game.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
It took me a while to get used to the analog sticks in Uncharted, but once you get comfortable with them I had no problem.

If any other Vita importers need JPSN card codes and don't feel like dealing with those shady sites, just let me know. Just did a conbini run for a 5000 yen card for Paz.

Imma hit you up on PM within the next couple of weeks if the offer is still open.
Once the early February games hit, I'll need a PSN reload.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've played some more Little Deviants today and must say, some of the games are fun. Hate most of the ones where you steer by tilting or sliding finger on the back panel - I suck at those. Too bad I don't believe I'll get a gold medal in any game, it seems just plain impossible.
Still it's a pretty decent minigame pack for a reasonable price.

-MB-

We should really have someone in here as well who can do the same, but for HK psn codes.
Play-asia is out of the digital codes atm :/

Lyte Edge

Dynasty Warriors Next Gamekult.com Import Review

+ undeniable good graphics
+ pretty cool direction
+ perfect controls

- stupid gameplay tricks
- you cant play the -already limited- story mode in 2 players
- limited Internet fonctions
- conquer bases is painful

5/10

This site is LOL.

"Stupid game play tricks?" What does that even mean?

I guess this is typical for musou games though. Anyone who enjoys these titles will like DW Next. If Gamekult is referring to the game's *forced* touchscreen segments as "stupid," I can agree, but they don't affect the game enough to the point that I'd give it a 5/10. The biggest problem I have with the game are touchscreen segments that are one-on-one battles between you and a general. You have to swipe the screen to attack/parry, and sometimes the A.I. will block everything and take you down in 2-3 hits. Fortunately, if you lose, you can immediately retry the fight and do not have to start the entire stage over again.

Faulting the game for conquering bases is also hilarious. Does no one there understand Japanese or did no one even attempt to figure out the game play system?

Fortresses/camps now display a specific number of enemies that need to be defeated before the base can be conquered. Sometimes the the number is absurdly-high or will not go down. This is because other bases will need to be conquered first (to reduce its numbers) or the base has a protection spell on it. The stage map shows a link between the protected base and another base. You simply conquer the other base and the protection is removed. I often find that when this happens, the other base will become automatically-conquered anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom