• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VITA Newb/N00b Q&A

If I got a micro sim adapter and used my iPhone 4s sim that has my unlimited data plan, can this be used in the Vita to utilize 3G on my machine?

I made a shoddy, shaky video of how to do certain things. Here ya go, with timestamps.

How to move icons and set a custom background: http://youtu.be/eUZxGV5EqCw?t=49s

Saving images off the browser and then using them (or any saved image) as your lock screen: http://youtu.be/eUZxGV5EqCw?t=2m46s

Change the banner background in your friends list: http://youtu.be/eUZxGV5EqCw?t=5m39s

Download a MP3 off a site and play it as a custom soundtrack in a game (great for podcasts): http://youtu.be/eUZxGV5EqCw?t=7m44s

Posting a screenshot from your vita to neogaf: http://youtu.be/eUZxGV5EqCw?t=10m26s

Great video. Thanks!

Reposting from the western launch thread:

WTF....

Got a Euro 3G Vita, plugged in my local SIM card (3G plan) and I get a "invalid sim card" message.

When I go to mobile network under settings, it says "The sim card inserted in your system is not compatible with the PS Vita"

I know my card works since I removed it from my USB modem, and this is a Euro system so there shouldn't be a lock. So what the hell? Any help? am I missing anything?

Reposting from the western launch thread:

WTF....

Got a Euro 3G Vita, plugged in my local SIM card (3G plan) and I get a "invalid sim card" message.

When I go to mobile network under settings, it says "The sim card inserted in your system is not compatible with the PS Vita"

I know my card works since I removed it from my USB modem, and this is a Euro system so there shouldn't be a lock. So what the hell? Any help? am I missing anything?

Well I did not get any replies, but since I finally cracked the problem, I figured I'd share in case anyone else will need this info.

The issue was with the "model" of my sim card. Some operators around the world still distributor sim cards that are not up to the tech standards of the newer devices (iPhone 4S, Android phones....etc). Many phone companies still have older generation sim cards to distribute, and if the cards are sold with a low-tech device, it wont be an issue.

But if you were to take that card and try to use it with a new model, chances are you'll experience what I did. At least the Vita tells you outright that the sim card is "invalid"; the iPhone 4S for example, accepts the sim card, but provides extremely unstable 3G connections because of it, never letting you know the source of the problem.

So there you go, I hope this helps someone.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Can anyone who has ridge racer/ wipeout tell me how i can play it with friends online, i cant find a invite button anywhere in wipeout/ RR and in RR i can make a lobby but my friends cant find it, we are all from same country too.

Tain

This is some basic shit, but:

I have a game on UMD. I have a US PSN account. The game (Gradius Collection) is on PSN.

Can I get this game on my Vita without buying it again? Can I use the Japanese UMD transfer thing (I know it has fees and all) with a US UMD/account/game?

Dusky

Does anyone know what the "Receive Automatically" option does in the messages app?
I'm guessing it updates to check if you have any new messages after X minutes, but I could be wrong.

This is some basic shit, but:

I have a game on UMD. I have a US PSN account. The game (Gradius Collection) is on PSN.

Can I get this game on my Vita without buying it again? Can I use the Japanese UMD transfer thing (I know it has fees and all) with a US UMD/account/game?

The short answer is no (assuming that you have a US region UMD).

The UMD transfer (or "passport") program is only available in the Japanese market and Sony has stated that it will not be available in the US.

To use the UMD transfer program you need:

• a Japanese UMD that is on the list of transferable games (all PSP games are not eligible for the program)

[*]a Japanese PSN account (your transferred game would be a digital version of the Japanese UMD)

hope that helps

Tain

Yup, just wanted to be positive that there was nothing I could do. Now to decide on the re-purchase! Thanks.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Is there anyway to charge via a USB port without having to turn off the Vita? Really a pain in the arse to quit my game, turn off the machine, and then start charging. And I don't want to pay an extra $15 for another power/USB cable I can leave at work.

rbanke

I bought a 32gb card today. To switch, just backup the old card to pc then restore to the new card right? Also, anyone have a good idea of what to do with the 4gb I got free with the system? Probably not worth selling on ebay.

Number45

Is there anyway to charge via a USB port without having to turn off the Vita? Really a pain in the arse to quit my game, turn off the machine, and then start charging. And I don't want to pay an extra $15 for another power/USB cable I can leave at work.
It charges for me at home when plugged in via USB and left in sleep mode.

ReaperXL7

Ok i'm sure this has been asked, and shot down else where but i'm just curious.

The Vita is not compatible with PSN games correct? I'm asking because really it seems a poor choice on Sonys part to not allow at least some games to be transferrable to the Vita. There are quite a few games that I never bought for PS3 that I would on Vita, it would have increased the size of Vitas quality launch selection considerably.

Games like The top down Tomb Raider, Might and Magic Clash of Heroes, Scott Pilgrim vs. the world, and a ton of others would have been perfect on Vita. Is this something that they might be able to implement in the future, or does it have to implemented on a game by game basis?

Number45

The Vita is not compatible with PSN games correct? I'm asking because really it seems a poor choice on Sonys part to not allow at least some games to be transferrable to the Vita. There are quite a few games that I never bought for PS3 that I would on Vita, it would have increased the size of Vitas quality launch selection considerably.

Games like The top down Tomb Raider, Might and Magic Clash of Heroes, Scott Pilgrim vs. the world, and a ton of others would have been perfect on Vita. Is this something that they might be able to implement in the future, or does it have to implemented on a game by game basis?
Those games are designed and programmed for the PS3, they would need to be ported over to the Vita.

Eusis

Well, game-by-game basis CAN happen, but that's more of a port offered for free if you have the PS3 version, like with Hustle Kings or Motorstorm RC.

r.gun

Neo Member

You may see things like this in the future on a game by game basis. Hustle Kings is a good example - they ported it to the Vita, and as an added bonus if you owned the PS3 version you could download the Vita version for free.

ReaperXL7

Thanks for the responses guys, I suppose it's just a bit confusing for me as someone with little knowledge of the tech side of things. I know that some of the games coming to Vita are able to be played on PS3, as with PS3-Vita. Something like Ruin, Retro City Rampage, or Dragons Crown for instance.

I suppose those games where designed to be played on both though, where as most PSN games despite looking like the Vita could run them pretty easily would have to be repurposed to work on the Vita.

Maedhros

Thanks for the responses guys, I suppose it's just a bit confusing for me as someone with little knowledge of the tech side of things. I know that some of the games coming to Vita are able to be played on PS3, as with PS3-Vita. Something like Ruin, Retro City Rampage, or Dragons Crown for instance.

I suppose those games where designed to be played on both though, where as most PSN games despite looking like the Vita could run them pretty easily would have to be repurposed to work on the Vita.

It's something we could see down the road, I think... at least some of them will be ported for Vita, I'm sure of it.

Eusis

A general rule of thumb is that the weaker the hardware, the less likely it can just be casually ported over. The Vita's as close to the PS3 as the PSP was to the PS2, and anyone who spent serious time with both the PSP and PS2 would know the PSP is noticeably weaker. Even though a lot of PSN games aren't very high end they may use more power than you'd expect, or require FPS drops to work, nevermind proper retooling to either use the touch screen/pad or to not look awful at that resolution.

As for the Hori case: yeah, could stand to have more card slots, smell is bad (I think it smells like the taste an open drink acquires in the fridge), and maybe I need to leave it open longer or spray it with something but the smell doesn't really seem to want to leave the inside either, though it is long gone from the outside. I don't think the smell's so bad as to seriously bother me, not like I'm drinking it or anything, but it is something to keep in mind whether it's to ignore it, let it sit out for a prolonged period, or spray it with something.

Does anyone else have an issue where their Vita's touchscreen becomes less responsive after prolonged play?

No, I have played 3-4 hours sessions and no problem.

Some games, however, seems to have software related detection problems. In some mini-games from Plants vs. Zombies (Slot game, for example) it is hard to pick up plant cards, it seems that sometimes the software does not detected the touch.

gabbre

I have a PSVita, my brother has a PSVita. We have two different accounts. If i buy a PSN game (Escape Plane) can I share it with him? How? Thanks

Chesskid1

Banned
so i'm about to buy a Playstation Network card to get some PSP games, never bought anything before...

there is basically no chance they will remove all old PSP games right due to hacks? i don't have a PSP so if they do i'm sol

even if the website just says compatible with playstation 3 for the psn money, it will work with vita right?

thanks!!

edit: is there PSN tax? i'm getting $40~ worth and i want to make sure i calculate it perfectly for i don't have like $3 leftover.

see5harp

Asked in the OT3 but got no response. When I get a gamefly sometimes it'll prompt me to delete game data in order to earn trophies. Is this message only present for the games that save to the game card instead of the memory card? I played Uncharted, which I know requires a separate memory card to start and I didn't get that message the first time I played.

Theonik

Asked in the OT3 but got no response. When I get a gamefly sometimes it'll prompt me to delete game data in order to earn trophies. Is this message only present for the games that save to the game card instead of the memory card? I played Uncharted, which I know requires a separate memory card to start and I didn't get that message the first time I played.
Yes, this will only apply for games which save on the card itself but only if they have been used on another account. (ie only the first user can get trophies unless saves are deleted)

B.O.O.M

I'll post this Q here as well

so guys I have a problem

One of my friends bought some vita games so we were thinking of sharing them. I do realize you can't earn trophies as long as the previous save data are in the game cart. So is there a way to save the previous save data at a different location until I finish the game (that way my friends save data will be safe)?

Any help is much appreciated

see5harp

Yes, this will only apply for games which save on the card itself but only if they have been used on another account. (ie only the first user can get trophies unless saves are deleted)

Thanks for the response. I have already started earning trophies for Uncharted but was a little confused on how the saves worked.

I'm glad this is a noob thread. Got my Vita yesterday. Is it safe to go ahead and purchase PS1 classics. Is there a list from PS of compatible games from the store?

There is a line for tax in the subtotal, but for me at least it's always been $0. I'm not sure if that varies by state (I'm in MA).

Generally, the tax can be applied if you buy the ps card rather than pay with your cc. I find it safer to purchase the $20 cards wherever they are available.

tborsje

Everyone seems to think you can't use content from two PSN accounts on Vita without having two memory cards. I decided to try it for myself.

I'm pleased to report that it's not true.

This morning I connected to both the US and Japanese PSN Stores and downloaded content from both. I did not switch memory cards (I only have one), or reformat the memory card.

I am logged on with my main US account and all the content from both regions is playable. :)

The way I did it is still a bit of a pain, but unlike the two cards method, you only need to do mine once, and at the end everything is on one card and playable under your main account. The only limitation I've found is that I get a message telling me that I will be unable to earn trophies on the Japanese content when I start playing it from my US account.

For those of you playing at home, here's what I did:

DISCLAIMER: You might want to backup your memory card first. You really don't need to, but if you do this wrong you could wipe your card which would suck.

Choose Settings > Format > Restore the PS Vita System
Select Restore.
You'll be asked if you want to deactivate the system from your account first.
Yes, you do want that.
Wait. Deactivation occurs.
Select Restore again.
This time you'll be asked if you want to format your memory card during the restore process.
No, you do NOT want to do that.
The restore process completes leaving your card contents intact.
Set your language & timezone.
Choose to sign in with your Japanese (or whatever other region) PSN account.
The unskippable Vita intro movie plays. Make a sandwich.
Download Japanese content from the Store (or from your PS3) onto the Vita.

When you're done, follow this process again, from the top, but choose to sign in with your main account. Remember to Activate your Vita for Games when you're signed back in.

That's it.

Does this still work? After I select my timezone and those initial settings again, my Vita tells me that unless I use the existing (Australian) account on my memory card, I will be unable to use the memory card.

Edit: Wait, I tried it again and it worked. The only thing I did differently was to sign in to my PSN account right after the restore instead of doing it in settings.

Sorry for the pointless bump...

dock

If I have several memory cards, with each of my different region PSN accounts on each... how easy it is to swap between the different cards? Do I just power down, swap the card, and turn it on? Is there any process or hassle?

If I have several memory cards, with each of my different region PSN accounts on each... how easy it is to swap between the different cards? Do I just power down, swap the card, and turn it on? Is there any process or hassle?

I believe you have to also reset the system and then log into the PSN account for that region.

Top Bottom